>> Refillable Mug FAQ <<

We have multiple sets of mugs at home - I'm hoping to be able to bring them and pay the 21.99 to reactivate the RFID chip because we honestly don't need any additional mugs and it seems like a small way to reduce waste. Can anyone confirm whether this is still possible?

I saw on instagram, a post that showed the new Disney100 mugs for sale but there was also older mugs also for sale. Anyone know if this is the case at all the resorts? I'm not the biggest fan of the new design but don't mind some of the older ones.

Just back from split stay. Old and 100yr mugs are available. entire resort is transitioning away from 50th

On our last visit, we saw a big family leave their mugs on top of the trash can at Beach Club when they were checking out. My better half called out to them, thinking that in the rush to get all their kids and bags that they forgot the mugs. The mom said they didn’t forget them. They were trying to recycle them, hoping another family could use them.

Likely dumb question but will my older cup work (if it's an RFID)? Like, can I pay to reactivate it? Or do I have to purchase a new mug at the resort in January?

Likely dumb question but will my older cup work (if it's an RFID)? Like, can I pay to reactivate it? Or do I have to purchase a new mug at the resort in January?
I don’t know the answer but I’m just curious why you’d want to pay the price for a new cup but not get one?

I’m not even being a smarty pants. I’m just genuinely curious

I don’t know the answer but I’m just curious why you’d want to pay the price for a new cup but not get one?

I’m not even being a smarty pants. I’m just genuinely curious
That's a good point. I guess I was thinking about it from the POV where (like at Universal Studios), the price to reactivate it is way less than to buy a mug (like $11 vs $20). But it's been a good while since I've done DW so that's probably not how it works... (I guess I was hoping to reuse the cup I had - not by lying/not paying anything, but paying maybe LESS??) if that makes sense. It may not :jester:

That's a good point. I guess I was thinking about it from the POV where (like at Universal Studios), the price to reactivate it is way less than to buy a mug (like $11 vs $20). But it's been a good while since I've done DW so that's probably not how it works... (I guess I was hoping to reuse the cup I had - not by lying/not paying anything, but paying maybe LESS??) if that makes sense. It may not :jester:

Would be nice if they offered this as an option. We have too many mugs at home.

Would be nice if they offered this as an option. We have too many mugs at home.
Agreed, and it’s so wasteful because you can’t recycle them.

I have a whole collection, and often use them for my morning coffee that I drink in the car on the way to work. I had a pink-handled Pixar cup pinched from the break room at work a few years ago, but no worries because I still had the exact same one at home plus another in green. Family from out of state came to visit, and I sent my SIL on her way with a hot drink in one because I don’t need it back.

I hate waste and try to reuse and minimize disposable stuff, and bring my old freestyle cups back to UO. I was sad I had to give up one of my AP cups last week, but the TM said it couldn’t be reactivated, and swapped it out for a Jurassic Park one. I appreciated the trade, but I know that old AP one went right in the trash, and I’d totally have brought it back home for the kids to use as a regular cup.

I've seen people say they're able to do that but it costs the same as buying a new mug; so no cost savings involved, just a bit less impact on the environment. But you run the risk of the RFID chip not working.

Agreed, and it’s so wasteful because you can’t recycle them.

I have a whole collection, and often use them for my morning coffee that I drink in the car on the way to work. I had a pink-handled Pixar cup pinched from the break room at work a few years ago, but no worries because I still had the exact same one at home plus another in green. Family from out of state came to visit, and I sent my SIL on her way with a hot drink in one because I don’t need it back.

I hate waste and try to reuse and minimize disposable stuff, and bring my old freestyle cups back to UO. I was sad I had to give up one of my AP cups last week, but the TM said it couldn’t be reactivated, and swapped it out for a Jurassic Park one. I appreciated the trade, but I know that old AP one went right in the trash, and I’d totally have brought it back home for the kids to use as a regular cup.
At last count, we had over 40 mugs in a bin in the basement. We had more than that but I've sent overnight guests home with a mug full of coffee on a few occasions. My husband has 3 that he rotates through for his morning/evening coffee and those get tossed and replaced once they're stained. I'm sure at some point I'm just going to toss about 35 of the mugs in that bin in the basement. I wish there was something better to do with them. I see tables of them at local thrift stores and yard sales. Nobody knows what to do with them.

You still need to purchase a new one. I really wish Disney would get on top of this and offer to reactivate it, even if it's only a few dollars less. I almost have more Disney mugs than regular glasses at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter