>> Refillable Mug FAQ <<

So I know these are RFID chips in them now, so can you just refill and leave without having to wait in line for the cashier? I thought that's how it works, but want to make sure.

So I know these are RFID chips in them now, so can you just refill and leave without having to wait in line for the cashier? I thought that's how it works, but want to make sure.

Paying for the refillable mug has always been a one time deal, even before the RFID chips.

Just a current mug question
Checking into asmu first weekend of march .
What are the current colors as of now?
There are 5 of us . Should I bring a couple lids or sharpies to label them? I'm assuming the style is the same. I have lids from previous stays to swap the lids

There are 5 of us . Should I bring a couple lids or sharpies to label them? I'm assuming the style is the same. I have lids from previous stays to swap the lids
I don't know what the colors are but we switch the lids around if we have to make extra colors.

I always take a sharpie. There are usually 4 colors of mugs available, but sometimes the resort (any resort) might be out of one color. We're a family of 6, so inevitably we end up with duplicate colors. I find it easiest just to write each person's initials on the inside of the handle so it's easy to see. It just makes life easier for when one person takes all of the mugs to the food court to refill them. Even if we had 6 different color mugs, I'd forget which one belonged to which kid. :D

I left this past weekend
Stayed at sports

Colors were
Red
Blue
Pink
Green
Purple

All mugs had handles

I've been the last two years and must have hit the break because i've got a few mugs and none of them have the same design.

I've been the last two years and must have hit the break because i've got a few mugs and none of them have the same design.

They came out with the newest design in the Fall of 2015. We were there in June 2015 and June 2016 and got 2 different designs because of good timing. :) I think our mugs from 2015, 2013, & 2011 were all the same, though.

I was there in sept and sept the following year and I believe I have two different designs. I will have to check that out.

I just stayed at Pop and the colors there were blue, red, pink and purple. The red and blue ones had white handles. Do you think they will be switching to white handles for all colors soon?

I just stayed at Pop and the colors there were blue, red, pink and purple. The red and blue ones had white handles. Do you think they will be switching to white handles for all colors soon?

Maybe? White handles for all is like the opposite of the Year of Million Dreams mugs, where all the lids were blue and the handles were black, blue, silver.

Where is the best place to complain to Disney about this new mug system? I find the RFID tracking and limiting creepy and oppressive and the complete wrong direction for Disney to go in.

Was there really a problem with mugs pre-RFID tag? I saw zillions of them being purchased and they were making a fortune off them as is. Drinks cost them virtually nothing.

With these new mugs:

1) You can't microwave your mug. It destroys the RFID tag.

2) You have a weird delay on when you can refill your mug. (Don't change your mind, spill it, hope to top it off, mix drinks, or anything like that!)

3) They are now tracking how many times and how often you are using your mug. This can easily be linked to your identity via your magic band. This is creepy. And the way people just willfully surrender their privacy is really a shame.

4) You can't stay longer than 14 days without having to pay more for the mug.

5) On the flip side of #4, if you are coming for two short trips (a few days) in the same year, you can't self regulate the value of these mugs by using it on both short trips.

What disturbs me most is that this is where they decided to put a ton of effort and cost. A system that absolutely was not broken and made them a fortune did not need to have more cost and effort invested into it to make it *WORSE* for the consumer. The whole mentality behind it is very anti-consumer and is something I find very disturbing.

Were our dues used to upgrade these machines to be worse for us?

How do we make our voices heard to get them to consider reversing course on this in the future, or at least not continuing down this type of path.

Thanks,

I think the mug probably just isn't for you, @Muckbeast.

Re:
1. It's also an insulated mug, so it shouldn't be microwaved anyway.

2. This is to prevent people from pouring the soda into someone else's cup that didn't pay for the the mug, then refilling. If they have to prevent it, it means people were doing it.

3. It is not linked to your identity - when I go pick up 3 mugs for my family they have no idea which cup belongs to which person in my family. Even if it were linked to my family group, what are they going to know? OMG IrishNYC drinks 5 cokes a day while she's on vacation! Her husband drinks tea in the morning! Her kid drinks lemonade like it's going out of style! You're free to pay cash for the mug, as well, then your sugary drink habits can remain a secret.

4. If your reservation is longer than 14 days they will add the time to your mug. It's good for your length of stay, whether it's 2 days, or 20 days.

5. No, you cannot use it for 2 trips because it's not meant to be used for 2 trips. Invalid complaint.

The mug system is optional. If you don't like it, don't buy into it. No one is forcing you to.

Where is the best place to complain to Disney about this new mug system? I find the RFID tracking and limiting creepy and oppressive and the complete wrong direction for Disney to go in.

Was there really a problem with mugs pre-RFID tag? I saw zillions of them being purchased and they were making a fortune off them as is. Drinks cost them virtually nothing.

With these new mugs:

1) You can't microwave your mug. It destroys the RFID tag.

2) You have a weird delay on when you can refill your mug. (Don't change your mind, spill it, hope to top it off, mix drinks, or anything like that!)

3) They are now tracking how many times and how often you are using your mug. This can easily be linked to your identity via your magic band. This is creepy. And the way people just willfully surrender their privacy is really a shame.

4) You can't stay longer than 14 days without having to pay more for the mug.

5) On the flip side of #4, if you are coming for two short trips (a few days) in the same year, you can't self regulate the value of these mugs by using it on both short trips.

What disturbs me most is that this is where they decided to put a ton of effort and cost. A system that absolutely was not broken and made them a fortune did not need to have more cost and effort invested into it to make it *WORSE* for the consumer. The whole mentality behind it is very anti-consumer and is something I find very disturbing.

Were our dues used to upgrade these machines to be worse for us?

How do we make our voices heard to get them to consider reversing course on this in the future, or at least not continuing down this type of path.

Thanks,
Most assuredly, the old system was abused. People brought back mugs that you couldn't see anything on the outside of the mug because it was so old. People would fill up empty bottle or jugs with soda and not pay for any of it. The chipped mug was the best way to stop the abuse.

The delay in refilling is about two minutes. You can mix drinks; you just can't drink it all or half of it and refill immediately. Like Irish said, people would refill other containers with the one paid mug. And you can stay more than 14 days in a row and keep refiling. Just notify the cashier, show your receipt and they will activate it for you.

And if you are coming for short trips, don't buy the mug. Just buy a single cup of soda and you still get three refills within an hour or two. Two short trips, two paper cups is a lot less than one mug.

I think the mug probably just isn't for you

And yet it was for 10+ years?

And yet it still could be if they scaled back the greed a tad and focused more on creating a Magical Experience?

1. It's also an insulated mug, so it shouldn't be microwaved anyway.

Incorrect.

People have been microwaving them for 10+ years just fine. It was not until the addition of the RFID tags that this became an issue.

2. This is to prevent people from pouring the soda into someone else's cup that didn't pay for the the mug, then refilling. If they have to prevent it, it means people were doing it.

Just because some pencil pushing, adversarial bean counter thinks it is a problem doesn't mean it was actually a problem.

What's next? Straws with DNA scanners so nobody else can take a sip out of your cup? Can't have people sharing!!!!

Aren't they making enough billions of $$ off us already? They have to nickel and dime one of the few decent deals like this now too?

Does EVERYTHING have to be a rip off generating monster profit to be acceptable to Disney?

For whatever trivial or non-existent gain they have accrued, legitimate customers now get a significantly inferior (and more expensive) product.

I'm sorry but this is a "solution" looking for a problem.

For over a decade, I've seen brand new mugs being bought by the zillions and sharing or re-using was absolutely trivial.

Some bean counting jerk somewhere in management came up with this idea because he/she was gunning for a promotion.

The mug system is optional. If you don't like it, don't buy into it. No one is forcing you to.

So this is a binary thing? Accept everything Disney does 100% absolutely or don't come? No feedback is allowed? Customers can't provide feedback of dissatisfaction in hopes of improvements or a reversal of bad decisions?

All of this is optional. Going to Disney World is optional. That doesn't inherently de-legitimize feedback.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter