Refund to Disney Gift Card

kmg1107

Mouseketeer
Hi there,
We're altering some of our travel plans due to Dorian. Does anyone have experience with receiving a refund from Disney via a Disney gift card? We paid for part of our reservation this way and I was wondering how long it takes for the refund to go back on the card. The last time we changed our reservation, it took almost 10 days for the funds to be applied to our credit card. Thank you!

Last month, I cancelled one trip and booked another. The first trip I had used a Disney e-gift card (from Target) to pay. The money was back on the card the next day. I checked the card's balance using the Disney gift-card site. When I saw the funds were back, I called WDTC and used the card to pay for the new trip. No problem.
GL!

Do you still have the gift cards you paid with? I've received a refund to a GC and it was 3 days if I remember correct.

Gift card refunds have always been quicker than cc refunds in my experience.

I am about to experience this as well. But I only have one gift card since when I purchase a new card, I transfer it to my main card then throw that one away. Then when I get to $1000 on that card I make a payment and start over. Since they can't refund more than $1000 on a single gift card, will they issue new cards to me?

I canceled two rooms last week and the money was back on the gift cards the next morning.

I canceled two rooms last week and the money was back on the gift cards the next morning.
You still had the cards for them to put the refund on? Guess I shouldn't have thrown mine used ones away but didn't think I would need them.

You still had the cards for them to put the refund on? Guess I shouldn't have thrown mine used ones away but didn't think I would need them.
Did you throw away the card with the $1000 on it ? If not the refund will go back on that card. Good rule to follow...even if you transfer DGC to one card don't throw away any cards and keep an empty one on the DGC site. Should yo lose the primary card you can easily transfer it to a card you kept on file.

Did you throw away the card with the $1000 on it ? If not the refund will go back on that card. Good rule to follow...even if you transfer DGC to one card don't throw away any cards and keep an empty one on the DGC site. Should yo lose the primary card you can easily transfer it to a card you kept on file.
No, I still have the main one that I used just not any of the other ones.

I have about 30 DGCs kicking around. When I've transferred the initial balance off them, I mark them so I know they're empty. Any GCs that are used for payment are marked in sharpie with the name I gave the card on Disney's GC site. I hold on to them all until after I've fully used whatever I paid for (i.e. back from my trip, purchase from Shop Disney arrived and I know I'm not returning, etc.). Then they become "credit cards" for DD to play with.

There's always at least one emptied card (that I physically have) on my account in the DGC site. If I ever need to transfer a balance from a lost card, etc., it's there to receive the funds.

I have a few special GCs that I got back when Shop Disney had a ton of options. Those will stay in my possession and be used to reload.

When I had a refund processed last month, she said it might take a few days. It actually went back on my gift card immediately.

I only pay with 2-3 main gift cards and those never get tossed. All others get transferred to my main ones and immediately gets set aside to be given to a kindergarten teacher friend one day.

I’ve learned a painful lesson with consolidating to a single Disney gift card for payment. In the past, it was beyond irritating to receive refunds across a stack of different gift cards used to pay the trip balance. For my 2020 WDW trip, I diligently transferred all gift card amounts to a single gift card for payment. When I had to cancel my June reservation, WDW has been unable to refund more than $1,000 to a single gift card. After several communications with Disney from my DU TA, I find myself still more than $2K in outstanding refunds one month later. Disney has indicated that they need to perform “research” before they can determine how to return my outstanding refund balance. I recommend not consolidating more than $1K on gift cards you intend to pay for your vacation with.

A Disney gift card can only have a balance of $1,000. Having said that, do you have any receipts from Disney saying how much you paid and dates, or for that matter any of your "notes" with date and amount paid.

Disney should be able to use your "payment dates" and amount paid, to back track. If they find it, I'm pretty sure, they can issue the difference on different gift cards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter