Remember when?: Disney Restaurants

theaslip

Mouseketeer
While dining at WDW this past weekend, I couldn't help but think of some of the take-aways that I sure miss...so....remember when.....

-Pats of butter were served over ice and had the WDW logo embossed on them?

-Chocolates were given with the check at the end of the meal?

-Many restaurants had unique little starters - - Fries when you sat down at Whispering Canyon? Cheese Bread at the Yacht Club Galley? Fried Pickles at the Grand Floridian Cafe? Etc.

-Epcot restaurants had linen tablecloths (when paying $40 for a pizza at Via Nappoli, I believe they could swing the tablecloth)?

-You could actually order a sandwich at a sit down restaurant at dinner/night, instead of being forced into a $30 entree?

...when the regular dining plan included appetizers, entrees, desserts, AND TIPS? Oh, how we were spoiled & didn't even know it. :sad2:

-When Cinderella's Royal Table wasn't a character meal for lunch or dinner, cost a lot less, and actually had better food.

-When 'Ohana served about 7 appetizers on a lazy susan, and the dessert was fresh pineapple with caramel (plus they offered some other desserts à la carte).

-When Akershus wasn't a character meal and served more authentic food.

-When Spoodles served a menu based on an interesting tapas concept instead of more generic and bland dishes.

-When Hollywood & Vine featured really cool characters like Scarlet Minnie and Gangster Goofy.

Those are my main ones. Lots of things have changed for the worse, but I've noticed some recent changes for the better. :)

-When Cinderella's Royal Table wasn't a character meal for lunch or dinner, cost a lot less, and actually had better food.

-When 'Ohana served about 7 appetizers on a lazy susan, and the dessert was fresh pineapple with caramel (plus they offered some other desserts à la carte).

-When Spoodles served a menu based on an interesting tapas concept instead of more generic and bland dishes.

-When Hollywood & Vine featured really cool characters like Scarlet Minnie and Gangster Goofy.

Those are my main ones. Lots of things have changed for the worse, but I've noticed some recent changes for the better. :)

I'd love to hear your for the better comments :)

I'd love to hear your for the better comments :)

-Counter service options are improving after years of some bad changes. I'm impressed that Columbia Harbour House recently received a grilled salmon, couscous, and steamed broccoli dish - it was tasty and healthier than other choices. Also, Art of Animation's food court menu sounds awesome for a CS option.

-Snack variety is also increasing. Real citrus swirl came back to Sunshine Tree Terrace a few weeks ago, and Karamell-Küche also has some quality choices (dark chocolate with caramel and sea salt, yum). Also, check out the gelato sundaes at Italy (not a snack credit, but wow).

-Disney seems to be making an effort to plus things that weren't completely broken. La Cantina de San Angel, Tutto Italia, Japan's kaki gori and quick service locations, the additions of La Cava tequila bar in Mexico and Gusto Wine Bar in Italy, etc.

-The new 'generation' of table service restaurants seems relatively interesting and inspired by unique cultures and preparations (The Wave, Sanaa, Kouzzina, La Hacienda, Via Napoli, etc).

-Finally, I've actually noticed some improvements on the signature restaurant menus, and a return to more upscale ingredients and creative preparations (I think my Yachtsman review from the beginning of the month really demonstrates this). I also like the recent changes to Le Cellier's lunch menu (the duck confit crêpe appetizer sounds really good for a 1-credit restaurant, and they added an authentic Canadian dessert - the nanaimo bar).

So there you have it - some positive changes that I've personally noticed. Around 2008-2009 we'd practically given up on Disney dining, but recently we've really started enjoying it again. :)

Just because I thought of it now, one more thing that's gotten worse: I miss when Coral Reef was a signature restaurant, had a more adult atmosphere, and the menu was much better.

Just because I thought of it now, one more thing that's gotten worse: I miss when Coral Reef was a signature restaurant, had a more adult atmosphere, and the menu was much better.

*Sigh*

I can remember back in the 80's, for lunch and dinner CRT made an incredible (and huge) Caesar Salad. It was made fresh right at your table side !

Also, they used to have prime rib sliced fresh to order. There was a CM off to the side of the dining area that would slice the meat in front of you according to the thickness and "rareness" you desired, (and seconds, if you wanted them, were "on the house" !)

Could you even imagine that today ?

-Counter service options are improving after years of some bad changes. I'm impressed that Columbia Harbour House recently received a grilled salmon, couscous, and steamed broccoli dish - it was tasty and healthier than other choices. Also, Art of Animation's food court menu sounds awesome for a CS option.

-Snack variety is also increasing. Real citrus swirl came back to Sunshine Tree Terrace a few weeks ago, and Karamell-Küche also has some quality choices (dark chocolate with caramel and sea salt, yum). Also, check out the gelato sundaes at Italy (not a snack credit, but wow).

-Disney seems to be making an effort to plus things that weren't completely broken. La Cantina de San Angel, Tutto Italia, Japan's kaki gori and quick service locations, the additions of La Cava tequila bar in Mexico and Gusto Wine Bar in Italy, etc.

-The new 'generation' of table service restaurants seems relatively interesting and inspired by unique cultures and preparations (The Wave, Sanaa, Kouzzina, La Hacienda, Via Napoli, etc).

-Finally, I've actually noticed some improvements on the signature restaurant menus, and a return to more upscale ingredients and creative preparations (I think my Yachtsman review from the beginning of the month really demonstrates this). I also like the recent changes to Le Cellier's lunch menu (the duck confit crêpe appetizer sounds really good for a 1-credit restaurant, and they added an authentic Canadian dessert - the nanaimo bar).

So there you have it - some positive changes that I've personally noticed. Around 2008-2009 we'd practically given up on Disney dining, but recently we've really started enjoying it again. :)

Thank you for your in debth review! We stayed deluxe in 2009 (jan) and for us it was just ok for the most part. It seemed like it was just 'meh' for what you got /the prices they charged. Was it fancy in presentation and abiance yes but was it what we expected no. We still had a fabulous time but its not wanting us to rush back and go deluxe again or make the same table service/signature ADR's again.

Salad! It seems you can no longer get a simple garden salad anymore. My meal is not complete without a salad and I can't believe they've removed this staple from almost all the menus. :mad:

As much criticism as Disney deserves for many things, its counter service offerings the last five years sure doesn't. It's a vast improvement – tastier and healthier – than the fried horrors offered everywhere in, say, 1986.

The Hollywood Brown Derby used to offer an incredible Cobb salad (like the Original Brown Derby) and an amazing Pastrami Sandwich.....Miss them!

Bonfamilles in POFQ:sad2:. We ate there on our honeymoon for dinner and breakfast and really enjoyed it

When LeCellier was a Cafeteria ;)

Capt Jack's when the food was really good :mad: Maybe Disney will someday fix that one

While dining at WDW this past weekend, I couldn't help but think of some of the take-aways that I sure miss...so....remember when.....

-Pats of butter were served over ice and had the WDW logo embossed on them?

I remember when butter was actually a tiny Mickey "statuette" thing. My brother used to take great pleasure in decapitation! :eek: :laughing:

As an adult with no kids, I miss these two restaurants so very much. CRT had the Mickey butter, a complimentary bowl of beef and barley soup, and a fun chocolate mint kind of dessert... with every meal!

Akershus used to be a favorite, too.

I think what I miss most is the more unique options. I feel like you can look at a menu of, say, The Wave at CR now and it's fairly representative of every other restaurant on property.

I miss the days when there was no dining plan.

I miss...

...Concourse Steakhouse...DH and I had so many lovely meals there.

...I miss the times when celebrations were actually special....for instance when a kid whose birthday is not for a month wears their birthday button and gets a cupcake. There's just nothing special about a birthday etc anymore. I think that kinda stinks.

...Chef Mickey's serving quality food...our last few visits were sad. We've left it off the list for a while now. Trying it again in May...but I don't have high hopes.

...the pineapple and caramel @ 'Ohana.

...fried brie appy @ 50's Prime Time....soooo good!!

On a positive note...I think there have been vast improvements on the CS menus. There is such a great variety now and it keeps getting better!!!

Another vote for the pre-princess Akershus; many more unique food choices.

And are we the only ones who had the real afternoon Tea at Rose & Crown? They must have closed between lunch & dinner because the only people in the restaurant were those of us being seated for the tea. None of this nonsense like at the GF today. It was a set price. It started with great big scones (and they brought seconds if you wanted them), then little sandwiches, then dessert pastries (and more seconds). All the tea you wanted to drink, too. No alcohol that I recall. Heavenly.

I remember on some of my first visits to WDW with my family....The Gulf Coast Room at the CRH and the Papeete Bay Verandah Room at the PVRH - - Great, elegant dining rooms....Too fancy for us kiddos! I do remember when Le Cellier was a Buffateria!

I REALLY miss Bonfamille's at the PO...That was a great restaurant for every meal - Great breakfast that began with a plate of biegnets! Then they cut breakfast from Boatright's at the Dixie (ok, PO Riverside)....Damn bean counters.

Remember when the Garden Grill offered an afternoon Ice Cream Social? It was a nice escape from the heat with great character interaction. And the ice cream sundae they served was delish!

or, how about the whole boiled Maine lobster served at the old Golf Resert?
or, the jumbo shrimp at King Stephan's banquet hall (now Cinderella's Royal Table)? I'm trying to remember the name of the restaurant at the Poly next to the Neverland Club, that served Belgian Waffles, and made to order omelets for breakfast -this was not a character meal. I too remember the statuette of a butter Mickey House. Ahhh, for the old days. Are any of the Disney "suits" paying attention? It really was what made WDW so special.

This is an awesome thread! I do remember the Caesar salad at CRT - for lunch and no characters! The Concourse Steakhouse was something we did ALL the time, at least once per trip. How about all the kids menus themed to the various restaurants - such as Tony's, the Italian restaurant (why can't I think of the name?), Coral Reef? What about the original Chef Mickey's at DTD - it wasn't as noisy as the current one; and then my family always enjoyed the character meals where Playhouse Jr. is now playing at HS. Some of those characters you don't see any more - Hercules/Hunchback/Aladdin characters come to mind (and yes, I know Jasmine and Aladdin are found at EPCOT).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter