Remember when?: Disney Restaurants

When did CRT not have characters? We went with our two older children in the mid-late '70's, but have no pictures. The food was great, ordered off a menu and remember the scrumptious dessert. We then took our younger son in the '80's, and have a picture of Cinderella kissing him :love: He really was enamored with her - was 4yrs at that time :laughing:. The food was still delicious then. Went back one other time, but not since. Oh, the memories :)
10 years ago, CRT was only a character meal for breakfast. Lunch and dinner were à la carte and without characters. I think around 2004 or 2005, lunch became a character meal as well, and then in 2006 or 2007, dinner also became a character meal.

When we went in 2002 for a non-character lunch, the food was actually quite good. The conversion to a princess meal with photo package caused the price of the meal to skyrocket, while food quality actually decreased. Quite sad, IMO.

Not only no dining plans, but I could swear there was a time when you couldn't make dining reservations. I remember on our thirs trip to the FW trailer homes in the late 80s when we could finally make dining reservations up to 3 days in advance and we thought it was great. But I can't help but wonder if that's really the case, or did we just not know before!

Remember those reservations video kiosks that used to be by Guest Relations in Epcot? You would talk to a real person through the video screen. I used to think it was magic. Now my iPhone does that. :)

Not sure if it's still there, but the Garden Grill use to have an afternoon Ice Cream Social. We went there on our very first trip in '03 with our two little kids.

I had a surprise "Rehitchin' Ceremony" in store for Mr. FFerret and I :love:
I remember racing to get there on time, kids in tow.

Good times!

[happy ferret dance]

Very cool THREAD!

Okay, does anyone remember the name of the restaurant before it was Ohana? I think it was ASIAN or CHINESE...

Brunette

The Cheesecake Factory in Disney Quest. The kids would play and I would indulge

10 years ago, CRT was only a character meal for breakfast. Lunch and dinner were à la carte and without characters. I think around 2004 or 2005, lunch became a character meal as well, and then in 2006 or 2007, dinner also became a character meal.

When we went in 2002 for a non-character lunch, the food was actually quite good. The conversion to a princess meal with photo package caused the price of the meal to skyrocket, while food quality actually decreased. Quite sad, IMO.

Well, don't really understand that. We have a picture of a lunch there in the 80's with Cinderella in it with my son. He was born in '84 so know it was about in '88. It could have just been her there. I know there were no more princesses. Maybe it was just not considered a character meal with just her there and I think the Prince.

According to my 1988 Birnbaum guide, King Stefan's Banquet Hall was open for lunch and dinner, with Cinderella making appearances.

Well, don't really understand that. We have a picture of a lunch there in the 80's with Cinderella in it with my son. He was born in '84 so know it was about in '88. It could have just been her there. I know there were no more princesses. Maybe it was just not considered a character meal with just her there and I think the Prince.
I remember meeting Cinderella in the castle in the 90s. However, we weren't eating in the castle when we met her - she was just doing greetings in the lobby. Until June 2005, breakfast was the only real character meal at CRT. Here's an excerpt from a March 2005 allears update:

"Cinderella's Royal Table Character Dine -- Beginning June 10, a new Character Lunch will debut at the Magic Kingdom! All your favorite princesses from breakfast will now be at the midday meal! The character lunch will feature family-style salad and dessert and the choice of five adult entrees or children's meals along with a nonalcoholic, non-specialty beverage. Lunch will be $23.99 for adults (12 and older) and $12.99 for children 3-11. A deposit of $10 per adult and $5 per child will be required (as is currently the case with breakfast)."

And thus, lunch (and eventually dinner) received new menus based on pre-plated food that could be efficiently prepared and served (at the expense of quality). Still, at $23.99 per person in 2005, that seems like a serious bargain compared to today's CRT (although it didn't include the photo package yet - that would be added later, when CRT changed from 1 to 2 credits on the DDP. I guess one of the credits is for the photo package :laughing:).

We really enjoyed our character-free meals there (lunches and dinner), and the food was actually reasonably priced. Now we don't want to return because the food is mediocre in spite of the ridiculous cost. For $50+ per person, we'd rather eat at a good restaurant (but clearly there are more than enough people who will pay the prices just to "have the experience", when that same experience previously didn't cost an arm and a leg). From what I can see, Disney is extremely happy that several people don't remember the CRT of the past. It makes it easier for them to get away with the current prices. After all, the number of customers that CRT has lost (such as me) is far outweighed by the hordes of families who want that photo package with Cinderella (another smart realization Disney made - why allow people to meet Cindy in her castle for free, when people will pay for it?).

Maybe the discrepancy between your memory and mine has to do with the transition from King Stefan's Banquet Hall to CRT. I don't know when this happened, but CRT originally did not include characters for lunch and dinner. It sounds like King Stefan's Banquet Hall (the original castle restaurant) included Cinderella, but otherwise wasn't a "character meal" as we know them today.

According to my 1988 Birnbaum guide, King Stefan's Banquet Hall was open for lunch and dinner, with Cinderella making appearances.

:thumbsup2 Yes, this is what I remember - I knew Cinderella was there, but not the other princesses. Thanks too, DonaldDoleWhip, for what you remember, and have tried to clear up for me. I would have doubted my memory, except I have ds's pic with Cindy;).

Remember those reservations video kiosks that used to be by Guest Relations in Epcot? You would talk to a real person through the video screen. I used to think it was magic. Now my iPhone does that. :)

The first time we went (1979) we decided we were ready for lunch and just walked over to the nice lady in the video terminal and she found us a reservation, I can't remember where but it was a table service! We walked there and were seated immediately:rotfl2:

I remember that my parents were so thrilled to get reservations at KSBH for our second trip to Disney. My parents thought they were the awesomesauce and were so excited to go and let me meet all the princesses. They didn't realize that, by dumb luck, that a stage show featuring the princesses was going on in front of the castle during our meal and it was the era of "only one of each character out in the park at a time"... So we met Maid Marion, Alice, Wendy, Peter Pan, the wicked stepmother and her daughters, Gus, and Prince Philip, and not a single princess. They were so ripped and we ended up getting the meal for free because it was not very good and none of the advertised characters were there.

Ah... Planning Disney trips in the era before internet and forums, where there aren't a dozen people who'd look at your reservation and say "EVERYBODY knows not to book then because it's during the 'Rainbows and Princess Show Cotton Candy Extravaganza'... Geez."

Very cool THREAD!

Okay, does anyone remember the name of the restaurant before it was Ohana? I think it was ASIAN or CHINESE...

Brunette

The Papeete Bay Verandah. "Reservations are requested" according to the Birmbaum guides of the time.

The first time we went (1979) we decided we were ready for lunch and just walked over to the nice lady in the video terminal and she found us a reservation, I can't remember where but it was a table service! We walked there and were seated immediately:rotfl2:

You are so right. We would do the same thing - sure more simple than 180 days out, eh ;)

They don't HAVE these anymore?

Dammit. You know, you stop visiting a restaurant for a few years and everything goes away. Last time I was at CRT (KingSteffanscough), I had the prime rib.

Sigh.

Brown Derby still had the Cobb Salad when I ate there this past December. I ordered it!

:thumbsup2 Yes, this is what I remember - I knew Cinderella was there, but not the other princesses. Thanks too, DonaldDoleWhip, for what you remember, and have tried to clear up for me. I would have doubted my memory, except I have ds's pic with Cindy;).
This has been a very interesting discussion for me - I can't believe Cinderella appeared for a time at King Stefan's Banquet Hall (even though he's Aurora's father), but then when the restaurant became Cinderella's Royal Table, she disappeared from lunch and dinner for a while. I'm also surprised to hear that a bunch of random characters (Maid Marion, Alice, Peter Pan, etc) appeared at King Stefan's. While the current princess meal might be disappointing from a food standpoint, at least the characters are actually appropriate to the setting. :laughing:

I can't believe Cinderella appeared for a time at King Stefan's Banquet Hall (even though he's Aurora's father), but then when the restaurant became Cinderella's Royal Table, she disappeared from lunch and dinner for a while. :

But that was always the problem with this location: Disney went and put King Stefan's Banquet Hall in the middle of Cinderella Castle. From day 1, guests EXPECTED to see Cindy there and were loudly disappointed when they did not. I was surprised that it took Disney so long to re-name the inside of the Castle to match the outside of the Castle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter