Remember when?: Disney Restaurants

When Tony's served breakfast on an open-air porch, with butter in the shape of Mickey and Cinderella's birds appearing in very small numbers to charm us and begin our day in the most magical of kingdoms! Memories ...

Yesterday DW was going though my dad's loft, and came across some old information on our first WDW trip from 1979. Included was Walt Disney World News from June 1979. Page 6 is about dining.

newsp6sm.jpg

I love some of the menu items, and the prices :scared1:

I miss being able to get on the video phone in Epcot and making dinning reservations for that day, instead of 180 days ahead of time.

Yesterday DW was going though my dad's loft, and came across some old information on our first WDW trip from 1979. Included was Walt Disney World News from June 1979. Page 6 is about dining.

newsp6sm.jpg

Just think...people probably looked at those prices at the time and shook their heads about the high prices at Disney!

I remember our family stayed at a hotel in Baltimore in about 1977 or 1978. My dad made the statement..."I will quit drinking Coca-Cola before I pay a quarter for one."

I use that statement against dear old Dad every term when I explain inflation to economics students.

Coral Isle Cafe, Tangora Terrace, Papeyetta Bay Veranda at the Poly.

Ariels at the BC.

Mickey butter.

YSH table side Caesar Salad and table side Chateaubriand for 2.

EL and SC at DTD.

The original CM at DTD,

CSH at CR.

:sad:

I remember when each restaurant had different desserts available. Now it's seems there are about 5 choices, variations on the same thing. Flourless cake, creme brûlée, and some sort of Magical celebration thing.

Chef de France used to have the best unique desserts.

The Empress Lily was my first character meal...and one we did every time we went...growing up! It may have been one of the only ones back then, or maybe it was just the only one my parents took us too! :rotfl2: But i remember it being so much fun!!! I also remember they made all the kids wear name tags...and we couldn't get the sticker off my shirt and it left the glue from the sticker on my sweater! LOL This was back in like 1984 maybe?

I also miss Spoodles! That was my favorite restaurant, by far!

And Concourse! Amazing!!!

I also remember butter served on ice and it had a sweeter taste!

AND of course making ressies the day of.....in EPCOT on the computer or just calling from your room, and making reservations was so easy! I wish they'd go back to that..or something like that!

Mickey butter is what my family misses. Ya know the one where Mickey came on your plate standing up? Was that just @ CRT. [what did CRT used to be called?]

newsp6sm.jpg

WOW!!! LOOK @ those prices!!! :crazy2: Very cool to read this!! Thanks for the post!

What a great post!

1) Fountain View was a coffee shop and served rock candy sticks with the coffee

2) you could make dinner plans in the morning from Guest Relations in the park or from one of the Kiosks in EPCOT

3) Dining was actually an event - a real reason to vacation in Disney

4) The most common question asked in the park was not "is this a snack credit"

5) Adding dining to your vacation was something really really special and you were treated as such.

Mickey butter is what my family misses. Ya know the one where Mickey came on your plate standing up? Was that just @ CRT. [what did CRT used to be called?]

I THINK it used to be called King Stefan's Banquet Hall. A recent miss is I miss breakfast at Boatright's. I'd just discovered their sweet potato pancakes, then they closed a couple months later. But did I hear recently that the Wave serves sweet potato pancakes?

You can still make hotel and restaurant reservations at City Hall and Guest Relations at the parks, right?

Wow, reading through this thread has made me sad for all the amazing things I missed! Some of the places and experiences you've all shared I never even knew existed. I never had a full service meal at Disney until 2000!

Some of the things I miss are ~

Characters at Liberty Tree Tavern dinner, loved them, their cute outfits, and they were just really sweet.

Concourse Steakhouse! We ate there about a week before it closed, it was the best meal of our entire trip (including the 3 days we spent at Universal). I liked the dish I had there so much that I did my best to recreate it since I knew I'd never be able to have it there again. I came up with a pretty good copy of it and still make it to this day!

The Dining Plan having the appetizer, entree, dessert and tip included.

*~*

I wish I would have been able to experience some of the wonderful things you all have talked about though, that would have been so great.

More dining memories on the next page - Disney Village and Empress Lily

newsp7dinsm.jpg

I can't really remember where we ate on that trip - though we did I think go to whatever became Tony's Town Square in MK...

I miss Figaro Fries!!!!!!!!!!!!! They were so good!

And taking a break and having a quick bite at Diamond Horseshoe Saloon with the singing and dancing.

Are you telling me that there is no more Mickey butter?!?!?!?!?!?! That used to be my favorite as a kid at Disney.

How's this for a long time ago..I loved the red snapper.. and the warm bread and herb butter at the Garden Gallery in the Disney Inn (Now Shades of Green Resort.)

I THINK it used to be called King Stefan's Banquet Hall. A recent miss is I miss breakfast at Boatright's. I'd just discovered their sweet potato pancakes, then they closed a couple months later. But did I hear recently that the Wave serves sweet potato pancakes?

Yes, CRT was once King Stefan's. Which was interesting in itself, as King Stefan was Sleeping Beauty's father, so why would he have a restaurant in Cinderella's castle?

Yes, the Wave has sweet potato pancakes.

I remember when Cinderella's Royal Table was called King Stefan's Banquet and you had to walk up first thing in the morning of the day you wanted to eat to make your reservation. If you walked fast, you could get a prime dinner reservation.

I didn't read the whole thread so I just noticed other posters mentioning this. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter