Removing Glasses and Mugs Again?

I'm torn about this one, the idea of housekeeping washing dishes in a sink makes me wonder how clean they are. Even in the units with dishwashers, the housekeepers don't like to run them because they take too long.

:earsboy: Bill

The reason they quoted last time was they said no way to sanitize and then installed dishwashing equipment at SSR and OKW. None of these cups and glasses should be washed by housekeeping hands.

The reason they quoted last time was they said no way to sanitize and then installed dishwashing equipment at SSR and OKW. None of these cups and glasses should be washed by housekeeping hands.

I don't see that happening. I have never seen anyone hauling dishware and forks back and forth to the rooms and I haven't checked into a room with a running dishwasher. I have seen housekeepers washing by hand, they just don't have the time to send the dishes out or to run the dishwasher for 90 minutes.

I don't see that happening. I have never seen anyone hauling dishware and forks back and forth to the rooms and I haven't checked into a room with a running dishwasher. I have seen housekeepers washing by hand, they just don't have the time to send the dishes out or to run the dishwasher for 90 minutes.

They need to have the room complete with dishes and dishware back in place in the larger villas. Leaving something running would mean dishware not put away and that doesn't work. We actually have come in to a dishwasher that was warm and had been used although I wouldn't doubt some housekeepers do as they wish. We've come into a room that the oven has finished up on the self cleaning too. It actually never released to open and we had to get maintenance up. I haven't inspected the items they have in their carts but I've seen housekeeping carrying glasses and mugs in other places - just couldn't say for certain if Disney does. A studio would not have silverware and dishes so they would not be hauling around a whole setting for those rooms. Just the glasses and mugs that have been sanitized elsewhere. As I mentioned above I am just back from a studio stay. It was concierge but I doubt cleaning itself is treated differently. On one cleaning we actually got a different style of glasses so I know they were not hand washed - they were new. The next day it was the type we had previously.

Frankly the pillows and beds are probably far more scary than any mug that happens to get hand washed.......

One of the first things I do when we arrive is rewash all the dishes in the one bedroom and hand wash the cups and mugs in the studio. That way I know they are clean. I'm OCD and can't seem to stop myself from cleaning. DH just rolls his eyes and lets me do my thing. :crazy:

One of the first things I do when we arrive is rewash all the dishes in the one bedroom and hand wash the cups and mugs in the studio. That way I know they are clean. I'm OCD and can't seem to stop myself from cleaning. DH just rolls his eyes and lets me do my thing. :crazy:

That's what we do also, a couple of times we found dirty dishes in the cupboard.

At Aulani our hot beverage cups are paper with the nicer plastic lid. The cold cups are plastic. There is a photo of the Aulani items on the DVC News website. https://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-p...lasses-and-mugs-disappearing-from-dvc-studios

Oh, oh! If the paper and plastic are going to have the name of the resort on them, like at Aulani, I can see lots of them becoming "free gifts". Assuming that's the case, I wonder the affect on our dues of so many of them being used/taken vs. glass and real mugs, breakage, time to wash, etc.

Oh, oh! If the paper and plastic are going to have the name of the resort on them, like at Aulani, I can see lots of them becoming "free gifts". Assuming that's the case, I wonder the affect on our dues of so many of them being used/taken vs. glass and real mugs, breakage, time to wash, etc.

Looks like they're disposable plastic cups; so if any were left over from a visit I'd assume housekeeping would toss and replace with new clean ones.

I'd actually expect dues to either go down or be a wash due to the scale Disney can purchase these at vs. replacing broken cups/mugs and the cost of dish soap.

Looks like they're disposable plastic cups; so if any were left over from a visit I'd assume housekeeping would toss and replace with new clean ones.

I'd actually expect dues to either go down or be a wash due to the scale Disney can purchase these at vs. replacing broken cups/mugs and the cost of dish soap.

I never ever expect dues to go down. I'm going to be a squeaky wheel about the mugs & glasses. Over the years DVC has gotten rid of the little things that make them special. For me, the mugs are a big deal.

That's what we do also, a couple of times we found dirty dishes in the cupboard.

We just got back from BRV last week, and that happened to us for the first time. The dishes in the cabinet were not clean, so we filled the dishwasher with whatever would fit then hand washed a few glasses to use. It was surprising because the room was really clean otherwise.

Who would I email at DVC regarding my opinion about this?
Not sure who is the head of DVC at this time. I send everything to Member Services and cc: head of DVC and the head of parks and resorts, sometimes even Bob himself. Lol. It's probably overkill but I know someone will at least look at either the praise or concerns I'm sending.

I'm torn about this one, the idea of housekeeping washing dishes in a sink makes me wonder how clean they are. Even in the units with dishwashers, the housekeepers don't like to run them because they take too long.

I agree. I think I’m the only one who was rooting for paper. I won’t use them anyways. I’m not using mugs or glasses that haven’t gone through a dishwasher. Even when we just stayed in the 2 bedroom this month, I ran the silverware and mugs and glasses before I used them ( along with the silverware holder). It was quite a chore, but there’s no way I’m putting a fork in my mouth before I know it was properly cleaned. I never use them in the studios. We just use our refillable mugs and the wrapped plastic ware. Call me crazy but even the paper plates kind of gross me out not knowing how long they were in there or who’s hands were on them.

Okay, I'm confused.

I haven't stayed in a Disney regular hotel room in a long time (always stay in DVC studios or 1 bedrooms).

But when I stay in a hotel room in other hotels, there are usually glasses in the room. The room does not have a dishwasher or a wet bar. I assume that when someone checks out and the housekeeping person cleans the room, the housekeeping person isn't responsible for washing the glasses herself. I assume there are clean glasses on the housekeeping cart. So why is it a big deal for DVC studios to provide real glasses and mugs -- and why is it an excuse to say that they should provide paper because there is no dishwasher in the room for the housekeeper to use to wash the glasses and mugs?

I guess I would also ask those of you who stay in the Disney regular hotel rooms (not DVC rooms) - are there glasses in those rooms?

I just don't see housekeeping carting off pots, pans, dishes, glasses, mixing bowels, to be washed somewhere else. It doesn't happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter