Rental Car Orlando to Port Everglades

RedHead0186

DIS Veteran
We're cruising out of Port Everglades in January and doing a one-way car rental from Orlando. I know at Port Canaveral, it's easy to drop off extra people and all the luggage at the terminal, go return the car (at the rental car office at the Port), then take the shuttle back to meet up with everyone.

I know at Port Everglades you can't return rental cars at the port, they go to the FLL airport which is pretty much right next door. Can anyone recommend if I can use the same order of operations there, and then just take an Uber/Lyft from the rental car dropoff at FLL back to Port Everglades? Or would it be easier to drop off the car first, and then Uber/Lyft to the terminal with everyone and all the bags? Is there secret option I'm missing (lol)?

Not sure if it matters here, but we're sailing Princess, not DCL.

Hertz and Avis both have Port Everglade locations with shuttles to and from the ships. They use different location codes than the airport. Sadly, Alamo seems to have discontinued theirs (Alamo was created in Fort Lauderdale and had a long history of its main office on Federal Highway) though is now owned by Enterprise).

If you drop your car at the airport, you may need to walk over to the passenger terminal for a rideshare or taxi pickup. It's about 150 feet and down an elevator or escalator.

I'll add a comment that I would avoid drop off at the airport if possible and use one of the other rental locations. FLL is close and it possible to drop the car and make the transfer but it is not as easy as it seems as mentioned above and it one of my least favorite airports. (Travel over 100 flights a year for 15+ years, so lots of experience.)

If you have to use the airport for drop-off for some reason definitely drop the family and bags first. It will add some more logistics, but as mentioned you have to get out of the rental area to catch a ride to the port. That transfer to the ride service area will mean a walk, or there is also a shuttle bus, over to the terminal area which would not be as fun with all the bags.

We are also doing a one-way car rental from MCO for our January cruise. I booked through Avis so we can take advantage of the free shuttle. Then we are taking the Brightline train back to MCO bc we won’t have a time crunch and can check out the train service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter