Renting a stroller primarily for all our stuff?

pixiedust2u

Mouseketeer
Kids are finally old enough to not need a stroller. BUT I will have one park hopper day EP/MK where it will just be me and two kids while DH has a work conference.

I’m thinking of the monstrosity of a bag in going to need to carry on my own for all our stuff. If the weather wasn’t so fickle I think I’d be fine. But considering the weather (coolish, wet), I’m thinking we are going to have layers on and off and need to be prepared with rain gear. Kids can and would carry their own bag, but let’s be real, their bags will be on and off and another thing I’ll just have to keep track of.

Is it a crazy idea to rent a stroller for the primary purpose of carting around our stuff. I mean I’m sure my youngest might hop in and out from time to time for a break, but it wouldn’t be necessary for that purpose. Anyone do this before? Or have any other thoughts or suggestions?

I thought of that. But if it starts raining I don’t think it would be that effective to have to walk all the way to the locker. We’d be pretty wet by the time we got there! Same with layers of clothes that will be on and off. It’s really this finicky weather that’s throwing me for a loop!
Thanks for your suggestion though!

I’d suggest you first rethink what stuff you have to carry. Yes, layers coming on and off in this weather is a pain. I think for kids 7 and older, with one day of strict you will carry your own stuff and diligence on your part, I think they can carry something.

You also might opt not to carry water or snacks that day and just buy them. Dollar store ponchos take up little space. Don’t use them unless you really need to. Or, later in the day if it’s just going to rain…just get wet…or call it a day early. Keep an eye on the weather so you know when you get in a longer indoor line or plan to see a longer show. You should be able to do this with one backpack…. You just might need to get creative.

One thing I did to learn to keep it light, I laid out everything I thought I needed… and then assessed. The wallet, it’s huge, and just the cards I need end up in a Ziploc bag. Pain killer …a few in a bag. Dental floss, I pull off a couple strands and they end up in the bag with the pain killers and one bandaid. Sunblock goes on in the morning, and just a tiny trial size for reapplying, no big spray can. My back up battery charger for my phone….too big…I got a smaller one…plenty assuming I’m not running video all day. Etc…… I do bring a carabiner clip and a plastic bag like a Disney bag or a disposable plastic grocery such that I could attach that bag to my main bag if my stuff grows during the day. If I KNOW I am park hopping and think I might want more stuff, I rent a locker in the morning, and pick up that stuff when I change parks. Again, rent the locker at the next park if needed.

That…or sure…you can rent a stroller, but what are you going to trust won’t be stolen? You are still going to have to be able to carry everything.

I don't understand what "stuff" you need. We went for years, four of us, me, my wife and two girls and we never carried more that than a fanny pack or an occasionally backpack. Never needed anything other than what we easily carried. Just out of curiosity, can you list some of the things you need to bring in the parks with you? Remember that items left in strollers while you attend attractions have been known to disappear. Just a thought.

I always joked that I needed a stroller for Christmas shopping time! I did bring a stroller to Disney even after my kids had "grown out" of it and I was glad I did. It just made everything convenient. Yes, you do have to worry about a "jerk" (to put it nicely) stealing. However, I put the important things in my backpack and when we went on an attraction I just carried it. Anything left in the stroller was not valuable. (I also never had any issues with anyone taking anything.) Both my kids would hop in and out of it and it. My daughter even took a nap in there many days. Back then we went long days in the park and I was able to because of the stroller. You know your children and how much walking they can do. A break from walking may make them happier overall. I would recommend it and I agree that the lockers are not in ideal locations to go back and forth to unless it is to store nighttime sweatshirts when it gets cool out. Do you take your kids for the weekly grocery shopping trip or wholesale shopping trip? How do they do when you are there for 30 plus minutes? I do recommend the stroller.

No backpack, no stroller for adults in my traveling party.
A wristlet bag for me and cargo shorts for the man. Carries all essentials including c/c, a homemade first aid kit (fits in a plastic credit card case) and foldable umbrella.

Kids want to carry a lot of stuff? Fine, give the complete responsibility to them. You’ll be amazed how much stuff they no longer need.

Remember you’re going to WDW for the day not on a hiking trip.🙂

Kids are finally old enough to not need a stroller. BUT I will have one park hopper day EP/MK where it will just be me and two kids while DH has a work conference.

I’m thinking of the monstrosity of a bag in going to need to carry on my own for all our stuff. If the weather wasn’t so fickle I think I’d be fine. But considering the weather (coolish, wet), I’m thinking we are going to have layers on and off and need to be prepared with rain gear. Kids can and would carry their own bag, but let’s be real, their bags will be on and off and another thing I’ll just have to keep track of.

Is it a crazy idea to rent a stroller for the primary purpose of carting around our stuff. I mean I’m sure my youngest might hop in and out from time to time for a break, but it wouldn’t be necessary for that purpose. Anyone do this before? Or have any other thoughts or suggestions?
I‘d get the stroller! Last time we went with daughter we didn’t have a stroller( grandkids older) & we missed having it for our snacks, water, cups, rain ponchos!Lol! We saw others with a stroller for their stuff.

No backpack, no stroller for adults in my traveling party.
A wristlet bag for me and cargo shorts for the man. Carries all essentials including c/c, a homemade first aid kit (fits in a plastic credit card case) and foldable umbrella.

Kids want to carry a lot of stuff? Fine, give the complete responsibility to them. You’ll be amazed how much stuff they no longer need.

Remember you’re going to WDW for the day not on a hiking trip.🙂
I admire your simplicity. But there’s no way this would work with a 7 and 9 year old in January!

I always joked that I needed a stroller for Christmas shopping time! I did bring a stroller to Disney even after my kids had "grown out" of it and I was glad I did. It just made everything convenient. Yes, you do have to worry about a "jerk" (to put it nicely) stealing. However, I put the important things in my backpack and when we went on an attraction I just carried it. Anything left in the stroller was not valuable. (I also never had any issues with anyone taking anything.) Both my kids would hop in and out of it and it. My daughter even took a nap in there many days. Back then we went long days in the park and I was able to because of the stroller. You know your children and how much walking they can do. A break from walking may make them happier overall. I would recommend it and I agree that the lockers are not in ideal locations to go back and forth to unless it is to store nighttime sweatshirts when it gets cool out. Do you take your kids for the weekly grocery shopping trip or wholesale shopping trip? How do they do when you are there for 30 plus minutes? I do recommend the stroller.
They can def handle to walking. We traveled to Paris this summer and they walk on average 14-20k steps daily and did not complain once. They also carried their own bags through the city.

Logistics of parks (backpacks on and off for rides), potential for rain (needing ponchos, umbrellas and a small change of clothes for them) is what had me contemplating the stroller! And me being alone with them for the day. On our other two park days DH will be with us so I have another back to take some of load on! So I’m not even considering a stroller those days!

The minute my kids turned 5 they carried their own "stuff". They each had a backpack with poncho and water bottle. I carried some "extras" but it was fine. I'd seriously reconsider the stroller (they're such a pain!).

Personally, I wouldn't rent a stroller. Then you have to keep track of the stroller and, personally, I wouldn't want to keep anything in that stroller while riding rides. We just went in December so needed to dress in layers - I usually wore light sweatpants and a t-shirt and always had with me a pair of socks, a sweatshirt, a poncho and a packable jacket - that worked for temps that were varying between 50 - 70 degrees F. My DS16 did the same and we were able to stuff all of our layers in one backpack (I use a packable one that rolls up into a pocket so the backpack itself is really lightweight). Personally, I would just bring two, lightweight backpacks and have one of the kids carry one of them.

We did this at Epcot Food and Wine in October of 2019. I found it to be just as much of a hassle as carrying the stuff.

My youngest is close to aging out of a stroller but we are definitely using one again this trip. We have only traveled to Disney with kids in stroller so don't know anything different. The convenience of loading everything into the stroller and not having to lug it around on rides is huge.

We don't bring lots of "stuff", but when we have 5 water bottles, 5 sweaters/jackets, a backpack full of snacks for hungry kids, it can take up a lot of space. We have always left these things in the stroller while on rides and never had a problem. Nothing in the stroller is really of much value.

I still have kids that use a stroller, and I always wonder what people without strollers do with all their stuff. Even just your water bottles, or your souvenirs.

I’d rent a single stroller for all the stuff and your youngest may end up using it more thank you think

If you rent a stroller to leave stuff in it, what are you going to do during rides? Leave all your stuff out to be taken, or soaked if it rains while you are in an attraction? Besides people taking things, the squirrels at WDW are notorious for ripping through bags left in strollers. Or are you thinking it's just to carry bags in between, and you bring all your stuff with you?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter