Renting a stroller primarily for all our stuff?

They can def handle to walking. We traveled to Paris this summer and they walk on average 14-20k steps daily and did not complain once. They also carried their own bags through the city.

Logistics of parks (backpacks on and off for rides), potential for rain (needing ponchos, umbrellas and a small change of clothes for them) is what had me contemplating the stroller! And me being alone with them for the day. On our other two park days DH will be with us so I have another back to take some of load on! So I’m not even considering a stroller those days!
If they can walk Paris with a bag, they can handle Disney. And an average 7-9 yo doesn’t need a change of clothes. If you can’t go without change of clothes for them, this is a perfect argument for a locker.

If they can walk Paris with a bag, they can handle Disney. And an average 7-9 yo doesn’t need a change of clothes. If you can’t go without change of clothes for them, this is a perfect argument for a locker.

You have a way with words.
🙇🏾‍♀️ 🙏🏾

Thanks all. It’ll be a game time decision that depends largely on the weather. If it’s an “average” January Florida Disney day temps in 70s, minimal to low chance of rain we’ll manage fine. Otherwise I’ll consider a stroller or locker. And for someone who asked about items in stroller… wouldn’t be anything of value I leave in there and I just bring a universal rain cover to keep it dry. Thx!

If the items left behind in a stroller aren't "important" enough to be concerned about theft -- I'd seriously re-consider the need to bring those items anyway.
  • Ponchos and umbrellas is redundant -- pick one. Dollar store ponchos are cheap and come in tiny little packs, small enough that each can carry a couple in case one rips.
  • A change of clothes is overkill for school-age kids. If they get a little damp, they'll dry out. If someone insists on an extra pair of socks -- s/he can carry it. If there's a major downpour just find a place to wait it out indoors; maybe snack time.
  • Layers are good, but even in January you shouldn't need an excessive number of layers. Sweatshirt over t-shirt, tie the sweatshirt around your waist to carry it. Kids do this all the time. If someone insists on more layers then they have to carry their own.
  • A few protein bars doesn't take much space, especially if each of you carry your own. Make it a special day and buy any other snack needs.
  • Everyone carries their own waterbottle, or just get cups of ice water at QS when thirsty.

I always questioned why people needed so much stuff at Disney. Then I had a kid. He's four now and I'm dreading getting rid of the stroller. Thankfully he still wants to use it a lot at Disney. Between storing stuff underneath the stroller and hanging the backpack from the handles, I never want to get rid of it. :D

We are summer WDW travelers and find umbrellas are far more practical. They are smaller, can be used for rain or sun, and can be quickly accessed. We carry umbrellas and water bottles and not much else. Agree with others if you need layers for colder nights - just get a locker. You can access it all day long and you don't need immediate access to the clothes. If your kids get cold they can make it to the front of the park. Also, you can leave food in the locker - could make lunch and save yourself a bundle on food.

Years ago, I remember someone refitted a stroller with a table top for food and wine.

There is/was a family here of maybe 6 -8 that used a stroller to carry food. I don't mean just snacks. They bought drinks, sandwiches, salads. I believe they maybe bought a ice cream type snack.

But for It really all comes down to you, if you don't mind pushing stroller, if you don't mind paying the cost, if you don't mind transporting the stuff from your hotel to park, I'd say go for it.

Maybe try getting everyone a fanny pack.
Everyone can put a dollar tree/walmart poncho in there along with their snacks. And maybe just you carry a backpack for extra socks, sweatshirts and water bottles.

Every family is different in their needs and no one is wrong to do what works for them.
Leaving lunch in a locker is a good idea though. Maybe drop off sweatshirts there too if you don’t need them for the warmer part of the day.

It does seem like a pain and time waster to have to locate a stroller after they’ve been moved around, but if you need one then you need one.

Seems like lots of good ideas given to maybe help figure out how to not use one, but if they don’t work for you, lots of people use strollers for their “stuff”.

I always questioned why people needed so much stuff at Disney. Then I had a kid. He's four now and I'm dreading getting rid of the stroller. Thankfully he still wants to use it a lot at Disney. Between storing stuff underneath the stroller and hanging the backpack from the handles, I never want to get rid of it. :D
I suspect that once your child has reached the age you feel he no longer needs a stroller you’ll recall how freeing it is to do without it. Sometimes parents get stuck in an “age rut” but don’t worry! Tweens and teens do a fantastic job of curing you of whatever ails 🤣

Once we got to the age that they no longer needed a stroller, they each had their own backpack that they were responsible for. We bought super lightweight backpacks from amazon. They have been on 4 or 5 trips without a rip and pack super small into the front pouch for packing. They have to carry a water bottle and a poncho if we have them but other than that, everything else is optional. There are few things that I absolutely need that I cannot find at Disney should that need arise. I may pay a bit more but I cannot remember anything that I did not carry with me that I thought later I wish I had. Ditch the stroller. ...

Our youngest recently outgrew the stroller and we brought it anyway for the simple fact that it's just nice to have a dumping ground for whatever you bring to the park or acquire while in the park. Ours also has drink holders around the handlebar which makes it convenient when you don't want to bring your drink with you in line. Snacks, popcorn buckets, a place to put my sweatshirt after it warms up, bottles of water, etc. We're not great planners so it's just nice to have the convenience. I should add that we usually stay at the Swan Dolphin and use the stroller primarily at Epcot/HS, so it's not like we have to fold it up or load it onto a bus/Uber, we just walk everywhere with it. We typically don't bring it if we're traveling by bus/train/boat.

Kids are finally old enough to not need a stroller. BUT I will have one park hopper day EP/MK where it will just be me and two kids while DH has a work conference.

I’m thinking of the monstrosity of a bag in going to need to carry on my own for all our stuff. If the weather wasn’t so fickle I think I’d be fine. But considering the weather (coolish, wet), I’m thinking we are going to have layers on and off and need to be prepared with rain gear. Kids can and would carry their own bag, but let’s be real, their bags will be on and off and another thing I’ll just have to keep track of.

Is it a crazy idea to rent a stroller for the primary purpose of carting around our stuff. I mean I’m sure my youngest might hop in and out from time to time for a break, but it wouldn’t be necessary for that purpose. Anyone do this before? Or have any other thoughts or suggestions?
Why rent one when you can do what someone did to me on more than one occasion. Just "find" and empty Disney stroller remove the name tag and be on you way. But at least have the decency to throw the name tag in the trash and not leave it on the ground like we found it..................

Those suggesting a locker seem to be confused about how easy and quick it is to walk back and forth to a locker (with small children) on tired feet and under time constraints. A stroller is so much easier.

Those suggesting a locker seem to be confused about how easy and quick it is to walk back and forth to a locker (with small children) on tired feet and under time constraints. A stroller is so much easier.
What time constraints? If you need immediate access, like an umbrella, or a water bottle, you should carry that with you. Things like food for lunch, or a sweatshirt if it gets cold - those things can wait - why carry them around all day?

What we fond with the stroller is once the kids were big enough not to need it, we would forget where we left it. After all, they are walking and they get excited about the next thing we are doing - walking away from the stroller before the last thing you did is a distant memory. Renting a locker is a lot cheaper than renting a stroller and you don't need it - why would you want to anchor yourself to it?

What time constraints? If you need immediate access, like an umbrella, or a water bottle, you should carry that with you. Things like food for lunch, or a sweatshirt if it gets cold - those things can wait - why carry them around all day?

What we fond with the stroller is once the kids were big enough not to need it, we would forget where we left it. After all, they are walking and they get excited about the next thing we are doing - walking away from the stroller before the last thing you did is a distant memory. Renting a locker is a lot cheaper than renting a stroller and you don't need it - why would you want to anchor yourself to it?
Time constraints like dining or ride reservations or basically not wanting to spend 40 minutes walking to the front of the park and back to get a sweatshirt during a very expensive day with limited time available.

We can agree to disagree about how difficult it is to park and retrieve a stroller when you go on rides.

I’m an under packer, I had 5 kids in under 7 years and frequently would take them all out without a diaper bag, just my wristlet (I kept somd diapers and wipes in the minivan). I loved ditching the stroller. I do remember going on a 3 night DCL when my kids were 4, 4, 6, 9 and 11 and foolishly packed 1 outfit per kid per day. That didn’t work out well.

Our youngest recently outgrew the stroller and we brought it anyway for the simple fact that it's just nice to have a dumping ground for whatever you bring to the park or acquire while in the park. Ours also has drink holders around the handlebar which makes it convenient when you don't want to bring your drink with you in line. Snacks, popcorn buckets, a place to put my sweatshirt after it warms up, bottles of water, etc. We're not great planners so it's just nice to have the convenience. I should add that we usually stay at the Swan Dolphin and use the stroller primarily at Epcot/HS, so it's not like we have to fold it up or load it onto a bus/Uber, we just walk everywhere with it. We typically don't bring it if we're traveling by bus/train/boat.
You don't leave purchases in the stroller, or unsecured (tightly sealed) food do you? Because people will steal the first, and squirrels will steal the second!

You don't leave purchases in the stroller, or unsecured (tightly sealed) food do you? Because people will steal the first, and squirrels will steal the second!
Used a stroller at WDW and DL (and every other amusement park) for more than a decade and never had a single issue. Didn't leave expensive electronics in the cupholders...but souvenirs in a bag, in the basket under the stroller, sure.

Once you experience a trip without a stroller you'll never want to take another. Magic bands have eliminated the need for a wallet,if you don't use magic bands they have cellphone wallets that fit in a pocket to hold cards. One of our favorite memories is splashing in the puddles through Epcot. The kids were soaked but survived until we reached the locker. Kids are pretty resilient. Your going to walk your legs off anyway and a walk to the locker isn't a big deal. I'm not hating on strollers,have 4 kids,so have used them several times but why add to the masses if not necessary. Have a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter