repeated BUS ABUSE ON OUR TRIP THIS PAST WEEK

Well said Chris. I have a harder time detatching my emotions because honestly I would never have thought twice about this if it were not for my son. My having to plot out worst case scenario for those just in case moments is now a part of my life. Part of the decision for our family buying DVC is that we like the convienence that staying at a Disney resort provides especially since I have a son with special needs. With that being said, it burns my butt (as you can tell) when others scam the system and use what is not rightfully theirs.
So my point is thanks for giving your perspective you have explained it really well :)

I haven't read through this entire thread, so this might be a repeat. But, isn't it my right, as a Disney Guest using a Hopper/MYW ticket to be able to use whatever transportation I want? So, If I want to go to DTD via SSR, whose to stop me? I've hopped on many different buses during my stays and never felt I didn't have a right to be there. But, maybe the real issue, is nonresort guests using the system. But I don't think they should restrict SSR buses to only those staying there...That would be wrong. Even if I am staying at Pop, I will use the SSR bus if I want!!

I think, Disney01, we have agreed that those staying at a WDW resort or those with Annual Passes should be alowed to go where they want, and these groups are encouraged by us dissenters to visit SSR to use the spa, restaurants, shops, pool hop, etc.

The concern we have is an observed influx of people parking at DTD and using the bus systems to get to the theme parks, thus avoiding the theme park lot fee. Added to this, we dissenters are concerned that those people staying at the DTD hotels are using SSR as a transfer bus point to get to and from their hotel.

On both of these issues, it is our argument that Disney does not run busses to DTD specifically to hinder those parking at DTD and staying in the DTD hotels so that these people will drive and park in the theme park lots and pay the fee. Instead, the SSR bus stops have become a bypass for these groups. It is my assertion that Disney did not "intend" for MYW ticket holders to use the Disney transportation system until they have paid to park somewhere on the WDW grounds (either in a theme park lot or a resort).

Further, based on projected available rooms at SSR, the bus system will already be strained to capacity, and potentially adding several thousand additional people, who did not pay a resort fee in addition to admission, will congest this system further, potentially causing serious concerns at peak times of the year. Other dissenters feel that to alleviate this gridlock of people, Disney transportation will simply add more busses to the route and possible charge this cost to the SSR, thus the SSR annual dues could very well go up significantly in the near future.

Basicaly, Disney cut DTD off for a reason, and now people are instead using SSR to the detriment of the guests actually staying at SSR.

To add one more thing to your comments above Grey (because I agree with them) its also the concern of several of us SSR owners that the CMs are TELLING people to use the SSR buses to get to DTD instead of saying take a bus to any resort from the parks. That adds many more people to the flow of traffic on the buses and across the grounds of SSR.

Again, no one is saying you shouldn't be able to take a bus anywhere you choose, but people that are parking at DTD and cheating the parking fee system AND everyone being directed to the SSR buses (which we at a minimum subsidize through our dues) is already being noticed by the SSR guests. As the resort grows, so will the problem.

Where have I been?!??!?!? I have missed this thread--I have not read every page but I will tell you about my experiences. . .

I stayed at SSR last June and we did not have that big of an issue--It was just opening. . .

Last Oct we stayed at OKW. . .and boy what a change!! At all parks there where people getting on SSR/OKW buses to go to DTD.(they were taking the busses and boat launches) I was not happy that over half our bus was going to DTD. I agree with everyone about people parking at DTD to avoid that 8 dollar charge.

I read in a trip report on another board that someone ate at Cape may for breakfast on New Year's eve and SHE STAYED THERE THE WHOLE DAY!! I thought that was rude. Where has people's respect gone to!!(and no that person was staying off property)What if someone else needing dining or just needed to park because they were staying at the BC. I thought that there was a 3 hour dining pass????? Anyone????

I see a problem growing here. I have never been asked to show resort cards before and after DVC before boarding a bus. I would not mind if they took the extra second to do that.

Does anyone know of an address that we can write to?? I think Disney/DVC needs to hear about how we feel.

Seems like a lot of people are concerned about this issue.

Maybe someone can write an email to DVC members about this issue.

Goldi

goldilocks_63 said:
has anyone sent an email.......
Goldi

well in general yes, to find about what % DVC pays for the transportation costs of the SSR busses and I was informed its onl;y 48%, WDW pays 52%. Granted this is only 2005 facts and I dont know where its going in the future.

based on that fact I dont feel theres a problem with the use of the busses. wdw pays the majority for the SSr busses so again everyone is entitled to use them

however I think wdw should find some other way of getting these guests to DTD. I dont think they should just be dropped of and picked up at SSR like the entire resort is just one big bus stop.

I also am a bit concered about off property guests parking at DTD and walking over to SSR and possibly use the facilities at all hours of the day and night

SSR, when finished, is going to be a HUGE resort. It's entirely likely that even if the bus service was restricted to anyone staying at SSR, guests would have to wait for the buses like they do for the All Stars, and might not get a seat on the bus.

TDC Nala said:
SSR, when finished, is going to be a HUGE resort. It's entirely likely that even if the bus service was restricted to anyone staying at SSR, guests would have to wait for the buses like they do for the All Stars, and might not get a seat on the bus.

HUH???

You're gonna have to explain that one further.

Let's see...

All stars: 6000 rooms
Wilderness Lodge + Villas: 900 rooms
Yacht / Beach Club + Villas: 1200 rooms
Boardwalk Inn + Villas: 750 rooms
Saratoga Springs: 820 rooms

What makes SSR so much bigger than any of the above? The only smaller resort listed is the Boardwalk, which more often than not shares bus service with the Dolphin and Swan.

I thought of this thread when reading this post

I can't believe that SOG is doing this!

A DIS cast member stated that Disney is contemplating a parking fee for all of the resorts. If you beieve that statement than it would only make sense that DTD would possible get a parking fee. If not, it would probably only force people that wanted to avoid parking fees to move from the resorts to DTD.

Here we go again! Maybe. :)

In all my years I have never seen any bus driver ask if you have a resort card in order to board the bus. They say a perk of staying on property is having free bus transportation, but I think non resort guests have been using the busses for years....

For many years...beginning back in 1971 when WDW opened...resort guests needed id's to show CM's for monorail and any boat transportation entry.

It made me feel "special", showing my Poly or CR id to the boatman, monorail CM............
....AND..there were reserved monorail cars..
..................FOR GUESTS ONLY!! Yep...WOW
:scared1: :scared1:

Then suddenly...nothing!! :confused3

Well....lets put on our corporate hats:
Bring in ALL the people, they will eat, drink, spend $$$..AND..we already have the transportation to get them there??
This IS a corporate NO Brainer!! :rolleyes:

IMHO...I would suggest we mind our own business, not deny a senior or anyone else an $8. savings on a parking ticket @ a theme park. I believe
Disney absolutely realizes this problem exists...and doesn't care...they are making $$$.
Lets take care of our own family/guests and enjoy the "Magic"

senecabeach said:
For many years...beginning back in 1971 when WDW opened...resort guests needed id's to show CM's for monorail and any boat transportation entry.

It made me feel "special", showing my Poly or CR id to the boatman, monorail CM............
....AND..there were reserved monorail cars..
..................FOR GUESTS ONLY!! Yep...WOW
:scared1: :scared1:

Then suddenly...nothing!! :confused3

Well....lets put on our corporate hats:
Bring in ALL the people, they will eat, drink, spend $$$..AND..we already have the transportation to get them there??
This IS a corporate NO Brainer!! :rolleyes:

IMHO...I would suggest we mind our own business, not deny a senior or anyone else an $8. savings on a parking ticket @ a theme park. I believe
Disney absolutely realizes this problem exists...and doesn't care...they are making $$$.
Lets take care of our own family/guests and enjoy the "Magic"
I agree...It is Disney's form of PUBLIC transportation, and as such, is open to all WDW guests. Sure, it's a nuisance to have abusive folks on board, as the one family was, but those are going to be few and far between. No matter where you go, there will be foks who think they are "entitled" with the accompanying attitude. For every obnoxious bus rider using the system, there will be plenty of others who know that they can take the SSR bus to get to DTD quicker, and they will do so without a word. It doesn't matter...it's Disney's PUBLIC transportation. They used to tell folks to go to OKW and take the bus or boat from there. Seems they aren't doing that anymore.

Now I am going to give an example of WDW public transit that is a real "Disney day" experience. When we were first members, DS and I were trying to return to OKW from playing mini golf at Fantasia Gardens. We ran over to the Swan and caught a quickly filling bus that was headed to DTD. We got the first foward seat, and the bus ended up with standing room only and half of the occupants had already spent far too much time in the bar. The bus driver introduced himself as crazy Jim and proceeded to joke around on the trip to DTD. As he pulled up to the light just before OKW, I casually said to my son, "Just stop here, Crazy Jim and we'll walk the rest of they way". Well Crazy Jim heard me, and he asked where we were walking to. I said OKW, and he flipped his sign to "special", turned into OKW and dropped us off at HH before continuing his trip to DTD. Saved us about 45 minues in the process! Yep, I'll take a few rude people once in awhile to get that kind of Disney service! :teeth:

I'll just continue to rent a car. Too much of a hassle starting and ending my days at the parks. I'll drive myself, eat 1/2 my meals offsite so Disney ends up losing some revenue. If the bus system worked as smooth as it should, then I wouldn't bother with a car and eat all my meals onsite. When you figure in the cost of a taxi, Mears or towncar from the airport a rental car is a no-brainer, at least for me. And my kids like to spend a day at each Universal park (please don't shoot me).

rufusrex said:
I'll just continue to rent a car. Too much of a hassle starting and ending my days at the parks. I'll drive myself, eat 1/2 my meals offsite so Disney ends up losing some revenue. If the bus system worked as smooth as it should, then I wouldn't bother with a car and eat all my meals onsite. When you figure in the cost of a taxi, Mears or towncar from the airport a rental car is a no-brainer, at least for me. And my kids like to spend a day at each Universal park (please don't shoot me).
Not nearly such a "deal" when you consider that Disney now offers FREE transportation from and to the airport. We NEVER drive to the parks, because it wastes a lot of time compared to taking the bus from OKW. I hate the parking lot experience, and would much rather wait 10-15 minutes for a bus than fight that mess. To each his own.

dianeschlicht said:
Not nearly such a "deal" when you consider that Disney now offers FREE transportation from and to the airport. We NEVER drive to the parks, because it wastes a lot of time compared to taking the bus from OKW. I hate the parking lot experience, and would much rather wait 10-15 minutes for a bus than fight that mess. To each his own.

Ahh, I forgot about the free ride from the airport. Last time I checked (a few months back when it rolled out) it wasn't going so well. But if they've got the kinks worked out that puts a new twist on it. Especially since we usually stay at BWV and walk to Epcot and MGM. Disney's got me again :love:

I'm with you Diane. When I'm on vacation, I really don't want to drive to the parks. Patience in traffic is not one of DH's better skills. I'd much rather leave the driving to someone else at park closing. We always have a car, either our own or a rental, and DH uses it to go to play golf and I bus it to the parks. It works for us!

The wonderful thing about DVC/WDW is the flexibility for everyone. As another poster mentioned on another thread, one size does not fit all.

Well I always wondered why we didn't have to show a disney resort room key or wristband or something like that for those staying in the disney resorts... but maybe this is their way to introduce some of the outsiders to the disney resorts in hopes they'll stay there the next time???

If you didn't have the "bus abusers" on the SSR route would the buses be less crowded or would Disney just run fewer buses?

May not be a popular position but the "bus abusers" may be responsible for more frequent bus service.

back in 1992 when I was in Orlando on a spring break trip to Universal. We went to WDW for a day. I understood at 19 that the transport system was for resort guest. I wanted to use the system. I went to the front desk of the GF and bought a tranportation ticket for $1.50. We took a tour of WDW hotels. THis ticket was good for bus and monorail and boats. Even did a shopping pass for MK. We were refunded the ticket price after a store reciept and 2 hour time limit. The CM said I did not need a pass because they don't check tickets. I told him I was not a resort guest. He said it is ok. I said no, I want to buy the Transport Ticket. He sold it to me, but tried to make me feel I was dumb for doing so. I did not care. I knew what is right and what is wrong. Stealing is stealing, even if it is a bus ride to a theme park. I feel sorry for these people who have such misrable lives that they are so angry at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter