repeated BUS ABUSE ON OUR TRIP THIS PAST WEEK

iluvdisney said:
This should be an easy fix for WDW - at DL they allow parking at their DTD for 3 hrs free - 2 hrs more if you get the pass validated - their parking lots are like ones at an airport where you take a ticket and pass thru a gate with a time stamp on the ticket. That would fix abusers of the parking situation, IMHO.

I don't think this would work. Typically we'll head to DTD, walk around, eat, head to Disney Quest (spend at least a couple hours), maybe eat again and then return to Disney Quest or maybe go to a movie. At times we've been at DTD more than 6 hours...

For the family who parked at the BW... I KNOW there is a sign there stating they can't provide parking for the parks... So the "didn't" know was more either "can't Read" or chose not to know.

Now I will complain to DVC if I cant' get on the bus due to people going to DTD. Espeically since my dues are paying for it so if I was the OP I would write a letter.

TIdoublegaER said:
The easiset solution of all is to charge $8 to park at BW & DTD and be able to get free parking with a purchase of a certain $$ amount at any of the shops in those areas - or if you are an onsite guest. That would eliminate most of the abuse in both of these areas. I understand why people park at BW to go to MGM or Epcot because it is so close, but for the life of me, I can't imagine being so frugal as to park at DTD to avoid paying to park at the theme park. That just seems like a royal pain in the rear, especially since it is such a hassle just to get from a resort to DTD.

Some people will do anything to save a dollar or two. My wifes friend was telling us a story about how when they were kids her dad took the family to WDW, to save money he had her and her brother save thiers cups that had soda in them so that if they got thirsty they could use the cups to fill with water for the rest of their day at the parks. :earboy2:

Ah the good old days when you had to show a hotel ID to ride. Here's a solution if Disney wants to use it. Speed Pass. This is what Mobile oil uses or did use to pay for gas. You waved it in front of a scanner and you paid for your gas. This is in addition to using a credit card.

Add a dollar or two to the room, install the reader on the buses and issue speed passes to all the guest. It could be designed so the speed passes can be activated again when you return for another stay.

At least this should be done for DVC routes since we pay for transportation with our dues.

littlestar said:
Didn't the old park hopper passes have some language that you are allowed to use Disney transporation for free? Maybe that is why a castmember would tell them it's okay to use a resort bus???

Yep, a valid PHP gets you free transportation on the WDW system.

:sunny:

They eliminated the direct buses from the parks to DTD because so many people were using them to avoid paying for parking at the theme park and parking at DTD. What they have done is created the same situation for guests by directing them to the SSR bus to return to DTD, so they don't have to go to another resort and catch that bus to DTD.

Another attempt at being a Devil's Advocate:

Since SSR is still far from being finished perhaps there are not enough resort guests to fill the buses and justify running them very often. Shuttling other guests as well may enable those buses to run more frequently.

Now if SSR guests are finding the buses crowded or full, then forget my argument!

Once the resort is built up more it will be interesting to see if CMs are still giving that advice.

We saw this happen many times the week of Feb.6th - 13th. I even heard many Bus drivers telling guests to use the SSR busses to get to DD. I'd say 1/3 of the people that we shared SSR busses with in the evening hours were not SSR guests. DH and I complained to our DVC guide about it during a brief meeting that we had with him. I think that I'm also going to drop a line to someone at DVC via email. Fine if Disney wants to use CBR or other Disney resorts as an exchange place, but if busses at SSR are paid for strictly by SSR DVC members than I think DVC needs to say something about this. It's not fair for SSR members to pay for other Disney guests transportation cost. As SSR grows this is going to be a real nightmare! JMHO

What happens with people going from the parks to DTD is that there is no direct bus to DTD unless the bus is coming from a resort. So the people who don't stay at disney want to go to DTD, but they don't want to use their car, are told by cast members that to get their they need to hop on a resort bus (usually telling them that POR/POFQ, OKW, and now SSR are the closest places to catch a DTD bus, so take the resort bus there). As an ex-cast member, we were always told to give info like that because when someone pays for parking at a park for the day, they are also paying to use the bus transportation system (just like if they were to hop from one park to another or to a water park). So technically the people weren't doing anything wrong besides being rude (unless they were parking a DTD and riding the buses over to the parks to get out of paying cause then they aren't paying to use any of the transportation). I know it sucks, but that is just the way disney has it set up (I hate it and it's been this way for the past 3 years).

Ashley
21 days until springbreak at BCV or OKW (hopefully BCV as long as the wait list goes through) :cheer2:
Fall 03- College Program Cast member :wizard:
August 03- POR :mickeybar
April 02- CSR :flower:
August 02- CSR princess:
August 98- off properity :earsgirl:

my question is if we as dcv members are subsidisng the SSR buses with our dues shouldnt they be exclusive for the people who pay for them..the dvc members.

if not then everyone has a right to use the transportation as needed

Carli D'Agostino is the DVC Member Satisfaction Manager. She can be reached by email at members@disneyvactionclub.com (subject: Attn: Carli D'Agostino) or write to Disney Vacation Club, Attn: Carli D'Agostino, 200 Celebration Place, Celebration, FL 34747.

WOW said:
In all my years I have never seen any bus driver ask if you have a resort card in order to board the bus. They say a perk of staying on property is having free bus transportation, but I think non resort guests have been using the busses for years.... :rolleyes:
We were asked for it (randomly) on our 1996 tips and 1997 when we took a break from Disney (bought a house got married gave birth) we came back in 2003 and they were not asking for it.

tomerin said:
my question is if we as dcv members are subsidisng the SSR buses with our dues shouldnt they be exclusive for the people who pay for them..the dvc members.

if not then everyone has a right to use the transportation as needed

Yes we do and that is my point why do we subsidize it at all if it is allowed to anyone Disney wishes to provide it to?
...ALSO it is unnnerving that people can just get off at a resort they are not staying at and wander around. If they have any WDW resort ID card fine IMO but something to prove they belong there or have the right to ride the buses.

3DisneyNUTS said:
I just did :) I will see what the reponse is :)

I doubt you will get the response you're looking for. Here's my take on it -- Disney still has a whole bunch of unsold SSR contracts. Why wouldn't they take advantage of using the buses to get people over to SSR to take a look-see (even if it is just a way to get to DTD). For all we know, they might instructing park employees to offer that routing. If this is the case, I think it's pretty rotten if we're the one's footing the bill for it.

iluvdisney said:
This should be an easy fix for WDW - at DL they allow parking at their DTD for 3 hrs free - 2 hrs more if you get the pass validated - their parking lots are like ones at an airport where you take a ticket and pass thru a gate with a time stamp on the ticket. That would fix abusers of the parking situation, IMHO.

I agree with this....but, DL's system is ALL kinds of "messed up". We went to DTD to go shopping at World of Disney. Three hours and over $300 later, we returned to our car. On the way out, we asked the CM at the kiosk to "validate" our parking pass. He said, "Did you eat at a fine dining restaurant?" I said, "No." He asked, "Did you go see a movie?" Again, I replied, "No." He told me he was sorry, but he could not validate my pass. I said, "Here's my receipt from World of Disney, and here are the bags of all the stuff I bought. I spent over $300." He said, "I'm sorry...If you go see a movie...I can validate your pass." I explained how Disney would've received a lot less of my money that day HAD I gone to see a $20 movie.

....I still had to pay for parking!!!

I guess on the upside...if I can afford to spend $300 in WOD, I really shouldn't complain about charging me $2 for parking....but, still....I guess Disney wasn't happy with my $300...they had to make it $302. I guess that little "encounter" with the CM would DEFINITELY have put me on the "naughty list"!!! :rotfl:

But, I really do like the idea of charging for parking in DTD. When we were there in Dec., we decided to "run" over to DTD to do a little shopping on our way to the airport. We arrived at 10am, and could not find a parking spot ANYWHERE!!! There is NO way you can tell me that at a relatively slow time for WDW that DTD parking is packed with people who want to go "shopping". I honestly cannot imagine why anyone would try to park there and go to the parks...it's too crowded with other people trying to do the same thing!!! ;)

But, seriously....here's a question for those of you BWV people in "the know". When we stayed there in Dec., we had to slide our room card in the machine to get into the gate. How are these people getting in? Do guards just let them in if they say they are going to the boardwalk? If so, do they give them a time limit or require a validation from an eating establishment on the way out? That's nuts!!! We are pretty frugal, and we SWORE we would not do valet parking at BWV, but one look at that parking lot, and we valet parked EVERY time!!!

Does BCV have the same problem?

Regarding SSR....if DVC dues are ENTIRELY subsidizing the busses to and from DTD, then I think DVC members ought to be able to "make the rules" on who can/cannot be on those busses. The only problem with that would be that right now DVC is the largest owner of SSR. That means they can make the rules. I agree with Calypso, maybe DVC and WDW are "encouraging" this to get people over to SSR...a really good sales tactic. But, SSR owners are going to be the ones to pay for this later.

But, an interesting thought....maybe DVC busses that are not shared with other resorts should be more "restrictive" about who can/cannot get on. Maybe show a room key with "DVC member" on it.

:wave:

Beca

Gone are the days of showing my resort ID to take the water launches or "priority" entrance (HA!) to the monorail to get to the Poly, GF or C or FW.

Lets try to think like Disney management! We already know what the average family spends on a visit to WDW. If we can draw more people to the resorts...DTD...they WILL spend more $$$! Breakfasts, Character breakfasts, Lunch, Dinners, Drinks, "special" resort logo souveniers..etc. Do you really think D would turn back anyone who rode on a bus?? Oh..and us (DVC owners...me too) have no entitlement rights..really!

So let me understand. No one but DVC members should be able to use the busses to DVC resorts? So with this logic, as a DVC member I shouldn't be able to use Disney Transportation?

This is in FAQ for MYW tickets:

Get around to everywhere in Walt Disney World® Resort with complimentary and convenient Disney transportation.​

It seems like there are no limitations.

No, I think what we're trying to say is only Disney resort guests and DVC members should be allowed. People not staying at a Disney resort should not be allowed to come and go as they please on these busses because they don't want to pay for parking, or it's just ''easier'', etc. At least that's my interpretation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter