repeated BUS ABUSE ON OUR TRIP THIS PAST WEEK

athenna said:
No, I think what we're trying to say is only Disney resort guests and DVC members should be allowed. People not staying at a Disney resort should not be allowed to come and go as they please on these busses because they don't want to pay for parking, or it's just ''easier'', etc. At least that's my interpretation.

As I stated, a MYW tickets gives you access to Disney Transportation. So you want to take that away?

3DisneyNUTS said:
Yes we do and that is my point why do we subsidize it at all if it is allowed to anyone Disney wishes to provide it to?
...ALSO it is unnnerving that people can just get off at a resort they are not staying at and wander around. If they have any WDW resort ID card fine IMO but something to prove they belong there or have the right to ride the buses.

When the reports of burglaries at OKW hit the boards I wondered how someone would get in if they were not a CM or resort guest. Everyone has to stop at the gate and show ID to the guard to get in. Apparently it is pretty easy. Anyone can hop on a Disney bus at a park entrance with their backpack and ride right past the guard house. You don't have to show resort ID or a park pass to get on, so you don't need to buy a thing. Once they get to a resort they can walk around, hit several rooms for cash, jewelry, credit cards and small electronics. They can then leave the same way they got in with a full backpack.

I think that the inconvenience to SSR guests is only one part of the problem. The real issue is security. I would be glad to show my ID every time I got on a bus. I would have no problem if some information was recorded, like swiping the card or some type of speedpass device. They can also video tape me to their heart's desire, (in public areas of course). I don't plan on abusing the system. A few minor inconveniences are a small price to pay to reduce these abuses and tighten up security at the resorts. Disney need to be more vigilant in this area.

When we were down in Dec (during pop warner time) twice when we got the bus from epcot to OKW there were large groups of cheerleaders and there familes getting on our buses. They asked the bus driver where to get off to go to downtown disney. Both times they got off at pennisula and walked to the HH. They werent a problem just made the buses really full and loud. They definetely were not staying at OKW

Didn't the old park hopper passes have some language that you are allowed to use Disney transporation for free? Maybe that is why a castmember would tell them it's okay to use a resort bus???

Yes!!! I am not sure about the new tickets, but the old tickets did include WDW transportation. :earsgirl:

I honestly don't see the problem with this. The transportation system is there for anyone holding a multi day ticket. The resorts have always welcomed visitors to come and look around, visit the gift shops and restaurants. I'm sure my stay at AKL subsidised the buses also, but that doesn't mean others shouldn't ride a bus to eat at Jiko. The tickets that people staying at off site hotels bought also probably subsidise the buses. I guess I equate it to riding the monorail to the Contemporary and walking over to MK, or taking the boat to WL to eat, even if I'm staying somewhere else. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Actually, yes, I would like to keep you from riding free on a bus that I (and all DVC members) pay for! I pay over $2000 per year for dues, and if 10% goes to transportation, I am paying $200 for the bus that you think you are entitled to ride free of charge. :sad2:

Why would Disney provide all the security people to check cars, and so forth, but anyone can get on a bus? Does Disney really think that thieves, murderers, bombers, etc. only arrive by car, but they wouldn't think of just walking into the resort, and then taking the bus to get away? What better way to set a bomb, for example, than putting it in a regular tote bag, and then hiding in plain sight after the deed is done? The answer is that security must be there to keep US in line, not to provide actual security for its guests.

Years ago you had to show your resort pass in order to ride buses, they got rid of this about 10-15 years ago. They need to reintroduce this. If you are staying on-property, you ride free, but everyone else should pay to use the bus system. Paying money would also keep people from parking where they shouldn't be, and actual guests could be reimbursed at the valet desk inside. :grouphug:

When someone buys a multi-day ticket(which would be most visiters), they can use any bus to any resort they want as it is all part of the transportation circuit. I think the bigger issue is that someone would act the way the woman in the first post did, especially around her children. In regards to the people who feel they are payting for the right to use the DVC resort buses in our dues, that far from the case. DVC is an entirely different company than the WDW transportation system and as such any dues paid to the DVC go only for DVC property( i.e improvement, up-keep and future DVC properties). The transportation budget is part of the WDW theme park budget which shares no money or funding with DVC. If you were to look at the operating budget for the entire Disney Corp for the past year(if you are a stock holder) you would notice there are seperate budget statement for themeparks and DVC(or real estate holding company). So in the end none of your dues are being wasted on any who allegedly abuse the free transportation system. Just wanted to clear that up. Even so that woman should never act like that much less around kids :sad2: .

Cruelladeville said:
Actually, yes, I would like to keep you from riding free on a bus that I (and all DVC members) pay for! I pay over $2000 per year for dues, and if 10% goes to transportation, I am paying $200 for the bus that you think you are entitled to ride free of charge. :sad2:

It is not exactly "free" as the cost of Disney transportation is included in the whopping park pass fee. I doubt that DVC dues even begin to cover the cost of operating all the WDW buses, even if 100% of dues are allocated to bus service, which they cannot be.

Disney has to fill hundreds of restaurants each day and showcase the resorts (so that next time, the family that stayed in Kissimmee can see what they are missing by not saving up to stay at the Poly or wherever, which they will see when they take WDW transportation to the luau). WDW adds a charge for bus and monorail rides into the park tickets. The expectation that WDW is going to do anything to discourage people from remaining in the parks and resorts as long as possible each day, i.e., sending them back to the Hilton for dinner instead of letting them ride over for "free" and spend $$$ at a WDW park or resort, is naive. Never going to happen.

DVCnewbie said:
In regards to the people who feel they are payting for the right to use the DVC resort buses in our dues, that far from the case. DVC is an entirely different company than the WDW transportation system and as such any dues paid to the DVC go only for DVC property( i.e improvement, up-keep and future DVC properties). The transportation budget is part of the WDW theme park budget which shares no money or funding with DVC.

Not exactly, newbie. On your dues statement there is a transportation component. In fact, there was a thread here a year or 2 ago documenting a BWV owner who figured out that BWV owners were being overcharged for transportation. ( and was acknowledged by DVC ).

DVCnewbie said:
When someone buys a multi-day ticket(which would be most visiters), they can use any bus to any resort they want as it is all part of the transportation circuit. I think the bigger issue is that someone would act the way the woman in the first post did, especially around her children. In regards to the people who feel they are payting for the right to use the DVC resort buses in our dues, that far from the case. DVC is an entirely different company than the WDW transportation system and as such any dues paid to the DVC go only for DVC property( i.e improvement, up-keep and future DVC properties). The transportation budget is part of the WDW theme park budget which shares no money or funding with DVC. If you were to look at the operating budget for the entire Disney Corp for the past year(if you are a stock holder) you would notice there are seperate budget statement for themeparks and DVC(or real estate holding company). So in the end none of your dues are being wasted on any who allegedly abuse the free transportation system. Just wanted to clear that up. Even so that woman should never act like that much less around kids :sad2: .

Actually each resort pays for its own transportation. That is why the more transportation options the more they cost. That cost is figured into the cost of the room. Hence DVC members do pay for the cost of transportation to DVC resorts just as the guests at the Polynesian pay for transportation to that resort. Each resort has a transportation budget.

I posted this on the Community Board, but here's my $.02 for this thread too:

I would think that since SSR, like OKW is an exclusive DVC resort, where the bus transportation $ is paid from members dues, then DVC members should have more of a say on who rides.

Maybe check resort ID's at peak riding times, like Park closings, etc.

This really seems to be an issue at MK. Why don't the CM's instead tell people to walk to the Contemporary and ride the DTD bus from there? For those leaving Epcot/MGM, then the CM's can tell them to catch one from YC/BC or BW. That way, you don't inconvenience those wanting to get "home".

I live in the UK (Northern Ireland) and the hopper passes we buy here state that you have the use of the Disney transportation. Therefore there should not be a problem using the buses/ferries located at a DVC resort to get to one of the parks or DTD. Of course this does not include avoiding the parking fees at the parks. I don't think you are allowed to leave your car at the Boardwalk for a full day and go to Epcot or MGM thus avoiding the parking fees however you can use the Boardwalk transportation if you park elsewhere. Using a bus for SSR from say MK to get to DTD does not seem a problem to me if it is included in my hopper pass or the new style passes.

My solution for this problem........................we never use the bus system!!

We drive!!! LOL!!!

I know the MYW tickets say that use of the transportation is included. I see how Disney would like to get off-site guests to see the "ease" of this transportation and also how great the Disney resorts are. I can only guess that Disney would also like people to see their DVC resorts too. It seems like CM's are telling people to use the SSR bus for going to/from DTD (for those who haven't figured it out on their own). Why don't they just charge a parking fee for DTD and then people probably would not do this? I don't see any other way to stop this. People who buy a MYW ticket are allowed to use the transportation, including the resort buses, period. That's a lot of off site guests. That's probably why as some have said the parking at DTD is crazy to begin with. If they charged a fee to park, and then did some sort of validation thing for people eating or going to DQ, it would really cut down on this. I really think this is the only way to stop this.
I imagine the SSR buses will get a lot more crowded when the resort is completed. Especialy if they are filled with DDT parkers. Just my opinion! :flower:

Wow...there were so many different things brought up on this issue I hardly know where to start:(

First...I agree that since our dues subsidize the bus transportation, they should not be allowing just anyone to ride...but...unfortuneatly, that's just not a realistic expectation I guess as has been stated quite a few times so far on this thread due to several things:

1. (and this is probably the biggest) I just don't see Disney discouraging it on any level as it seems that it's completely in their interest whether someone is a resort guest,ticket holder or even someone who paid nothing and just came for the day because it inconveniences them not at all yet makes them more $$$ by these people either spending their $$ at a resturant,gift shop,theme park, or on a future stay onsight. I doubt they really consider some of us members being peeved by it much of a problem as compared to the extra $$ they're profiting by it :sad2:

2. Because of reason's I just stated in #1 here, they are not likely ever going to start I.D.'ing people boarding the resort buses to make sure they are entitled because again it benefits them $$ wise to give the transportation away since they'll gain more $$ from those guests spending at the destinations they take the buses to.

What I find completely unfair though is that we are paying to subsidize the buses through our dues and yet they not only get our dues tword the buses but also extra $$ from those who may not be entitled to use the transportation system since they ultimetly will buy souveniers,food & whatnot.

I also get aggrevated that whenever we've driven over to DTD, it's a royal pain in the heiny to find a parking space
grr.gif
it never crossed my mind that it's people once again trying to get out of paying to park at the parks let alone non-resort guests abusing the bus system. :rolleyes:

It's just aggrevating:(

It is not exactly "free" as the cost of Disney transportation is included in the whopping park pass fee. I doubt that DVC dues even begin to cover the cost of operating all the WDW buses, even if 100% of dues are allocated to bus service, which they cannot be.

Let's see now that means DVC owners pay for bus service and then pay again when they buy park passes.

I GOT IT!! let's put a surcharge on DVC routes for those non owners riding DVC route buses. $20 a day sounds good. Put fare boxes (exact change only or speed pass, post requirements on front door). Violators subject to towing or booting (off the bus) if they complain :teeth:.

Seriously, why should DVC owners pay twice for transportation! And be inconvenienced by those having no business on DVC sites!! (OKW/SSR).

If Disney was able to police who rode in the old days they could do it today much easier with the technology we have now.

Why not parking charges for those who want to park(free at DTD), daily transportation charges for those who want to ride. Free parking at hotels for hotel guests at hotel they are staying at with transportation included in the room charges. Disney paid alot of money to put in security gates and should use them with modern technology to better manage traffic flow. Then everyone will be happy.

Last November we noticed a huge line at the SSR bus stop outside of the Studios. We were in the OKW line, which was not overly crowded. After our bus came and we loaded up, the driver announced he was picking up the SSR line as well since there were so many of them.

Our bus was insanely packed when we pulled out, but still left a line of others behind. I am surprised they can legally load that many standing passengers onto the vehicle. I overheard several of the SSR people complaining that we were stopping at every OKW stop, before they would then be driven over to SSR. Now I am wondering if these were SSR resort guests, or people misusing the system to avoid parking at the parks.

It seemed amazing to me that there were so many of them and the resort is far from completion..hmmmmm.

iwaseeyore said:
As I stated, a MYW tickets gives you access to Disney Transportation. So you want to take that away?

I don't want to blow this too far out of proportion (might be too late for that ;) ), but if Disney wants to make that commitment to their guests, that's their business. But DVC members pay for their bus service. In a sense, Disney is somewhat overstepping their bounds by encouraging guests to use busses that they really don't fund.

An easy solution would be for Disney to contribute to transportation costs and ensure that significant busses are scheduled to handle the inevitable overflow at certain times of day.

But, in the grand scheme of things, I think they should be a little more worried about secondary issues like security. I'm really not crazy about the prospect of WDW guests being encouraged to walk right through the middle of Congress Park on their way to DD late at night.

iwaseeyore said:

not only all MYW tickets, but all AP's and florida residents passes as well. Basically every single person at WDW has the right to ride the busses to wherever they want and all day long if they choose.

Thats the rules as I see them anyway. I think they need to be altered a bit, but these people are technically not breaking any rules

I don't see why their couldn't be two levels of transportation. The resorts used to require a resort ID to board resort busses. Offsite hopper ticket holders could be limited to inter-park transportation. Resort guests, no matter what resort, could be allowed full use, that would alow for dining and shopping at all resorts. AP holders could also be allowed full use, as it is unlikely they would try to save the parking costs, as it is included in an AP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter