• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Replacement for GAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ6987

DIS Veteran
Nearer news than rumour now, it looks like Disney are replacing the much-abused Guest Assistance Card with a new Disabled Assistance System where guests get a time delayed fast pass, based on the current standby queue time.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201309/3666/

It will be interesting what provisions this makes for guests with conditions such as autism where the issue is not only physically standing in a queue but the concept of "waiting". Many of these guests have no concept of time.

Nearer news than rumour now, it looks like Disney are replacing the much-abused Guest Assistance Card with a new Disabled Assistance System where guests get a time delayed fast pass, based on the current standby queue time.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201309/3666/

It will be interesting what provisions this makes for guests with conditions such as autism where the issue is not only physically standing in a queue but the concept of "waiting". Many of these guests have no concept of time.

I think the kiosks are their answer for those guests who don't understand why they can't ride immediately (like those with autism) If they are standing outside the ride. They won't be walking up to the ride to get a return time, they will be walking to the kiosk to get the time. They only go up to the ride at ride time, hopefully eliminating breakdowns.

My youngest daughter, who is 11, is Autistic. I would be absolutely fine with this. It would work the same as the current FP system, but without getting the individual passes each time.

I'll admit, last year when I went with my friend and her children (one of which is also Autistic), there were a few rides that we went on several times in a row, because that's what the kids wanted to do.

I can see how others would see that as an abuse of the system. I know my daughter would fully grasp "rules", as she is VERY rule oriented. It's typical of kids with Asperger's- they see rules as a black and white thing. You follow the rules, because they are important. So, if I told her we can't go back in the fast pass lane because the rules say we can't, she would shrug and let me know which ride she wants to go on next.

In some ways, she is easier going about things like that than my NT kids.

I think the kiosks are their answer for those guests who don't understand why they can't ride immediately (like those with autism) If they are standing outside the ride. They won't be walking up to the ride to get a return time, they will be walking to the kiosk to get the time. They only go up to the ride at ride time, hopefully eliminating breakdowns.

Good point. FP+ will help too. Having 3 or 4 planned from home, on top of the ones from the kiosk...

Good point. FP+ will help too. Having 3 or 4 planned from home, on top of the ones from the kiosk...

Only for some as I said in another post regarding this, the constant walking back and forth to kiosks will be very time consuming especially with a toe walker. I have 2 children with Autism one who loves reads one who loves meet and greets how do I decide which one gets the fastpass+ and which one doesn't, never mind just venting so frustrating. FP+ will not even be available yet on our next trip in 45 days so that's out for the time being

Only for some as I said in another post regarding this, the constant walking back and forth to kiosks will be very time consuming especially with a toe walker. I have 2 children with Autism one who loves reads one who loves meet and greets how do I decide which one gets the fastpass+ and which one doesn't, never mind just venting so frustrating. FP+ will not even be available yet on our next trip in 45 days so that's out for the time being

Could you get a DAS for each child?

This looks great to me. Knowing when to ride might actually add a semblance of order to an otherwise hectic day, especially when it's crowded!

They know that - according to what I have read, they will be subtracting 10-15 minutes from the current stand by time to take that into account. :cutie:

http://2ty.cc/vrbly

This is a good point, hadn't thought of it that way. To declare my interest, our two daughters are ASD (one mild, one more severe) although in our case even the more severe one is, like someone else said, rule driven so they will be OK with this I think.

I am easing into it the more I read but still straddling a fence. I do not really like having to go to a kiosk over and over to get a stamp before heading to a ride. Both of my kids are ASD, my oldest carrying a couple of other Dx and a Service Dog. I wonder exactly the locations and how long this would take. To lug kids, SD back and forth once they are visually locked on a location just to get another stamp is going to get old. I can see the need for change, I do. But I do not really see how making the trek each time it is needed then back again. Perhaps it is the way my kids tour. They are visual. They ride what they see next. Forget maps and fp. They do not understand it and to compare them to others is not even doable.

So if I got this semi right based on different blogs and different wordings, we see X, we find nearest Kiosk, we wait for said stamp, we go back (forget shops and such we are one track non transitional kids and my oldest eats on timed schedule), wait, get in line, ride, repeat. I think I got the idea? But that would get so old. I can see my oldest melting down really fast about the 3-5th time I say lets go back to the kiosk. I can see the Dog looking at me like really human are you lost? lol... I can see (and I hate to use the word normal but I will) I can see normal ppl riding rides with out having to check in at a kiosk before each one. How is that even close to equal access. Ii think they are on the right track to curb abuse but I do not know if this is quite it yet. :confused3

Where would everyone be waiting? Have I missed this somewhere? I do not want to be in the sun somewhere with the SD and my oldest. You know the lack of shade, seating. Already stated my oldest has to eat certain times and foods. Dog is large. I do not also want to mess up someone elses vacation by setting off a known trigger for my kiddos if I can help it. I just do not know how to plan for our upcoming trip now at all. :sad:

I am easing into it the more I read but still straddling a fence. I do not really like having to go to a kiosk over and over to get a stamp before heading to a ride. Both of my kids are ASD, my oldest carrying a couple of other Dx and a Service Dog. I wonder exactly the locations and how long this would take. To lug kids, SD back and forth once they are visually locked on a location just to get another stamp is going to get old. I can see the need for change, I do. But I do not really see how making the trek each time it is needed then back again. Perhaps it is the way my kids tour. They are visual. They ride what they see next. Forget maps and fp. They do not understand it and to compare them to others is not even doable.

So if I got this semi right based on different blogs and different wordings, we see X, we find nearest Kiosk, we wait for said stamp, we go back (forget shops and such we are one track non transitional kids and my oldest eats on timed schedule), wait, get in line, ride, repeat. I think I got the idea? But that would get so old. I can see my oldest melting down really fast about the 3-5th time I say lets go back to the kiosk. I can see the Dog looking at me like really human are you lost? lol... I can see (and I hate to use the word normal but I will) I can see normal ppl riding rides with out having to check in at a kiosk before each one. How is that even close to equal access. Ii think they are on the right track to curb abuse but I do not know if this is quite it yet. :confused3

Where would everyone be waiting? Have I missed this somewhere? I do not want to be in the sun somewhere with the SD and my oldest. You know the lack of shade, seating. Already stated my oldest has to eat certain times and foods. Dog is large. I do not also want to mess up someone elses vacation by setting off a known trigger for my kiddos if I can help it. I just do not know how to plan for our upcoming trip now at all. :sad:

Those normal people had to wait to ride the rides you will see them on.

As far as where are people waiting, they can go where they want to wait. Go on a ride with a short line, see a show, go in a store, grab a Dole Whip. Those normal people just have to wait in line and can't do any of that.

This new system sounds like its a good solutions to abuses and also to a rising amount of people with needs. It really seems like the current system was having trouble handling more people using GACs.

I like the idea, but it would much better if there was more than one kiosk. Even if MK had two, one between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland, and one near Frontierland, Adventureland and Liberty Square. One in each land would be great.

There are just so many different disabilities and so many different needs. I know Disney can't make everyone happy, but I think more than one kiosk would help.

I like the idea, but it would much better if there was more than one kiosk. Even if MK had two, one between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland, and one near Frontierland, Adventureland and Liberty Square. One in each land would be great.

There are just so many different disabilities and so many different needs. I know Disney can't make everyone happy, but I think more than one kiosk would help.

I think there are going to be multiple kiosks scattered throughout the park.

From what I've read there will be multiple kiosks. I heard MK will have 4, with 1 dedicated solely to Fantasyland, and the others will have 3-4 kiosks each. It won't be like you have to go to the front of the park each time (if I had to guess for MK the kiosks would be in the middle of Fantasyland, Adventureland/Frontierland/Liberty Square, Main Street near the tip board, and Tomorrowland).

Those normal people had to wait to ride the rides you will see them on. ....

...and they did that waiting-for the most part-in a shaded and/or a climate controlled area, without the added issue of their autistic son's pending meltdown. :scratchin
We are always aware of how his behavior is affecting those guests around us, and numerous times-with or without-GAC-we would leave a queue due to him having a meltdown. Thankfully, he is slowly honing his skills of patience. He jokes sometimes that it must be difficult for "the normal people", (as he calls us), to not have his memory skills. ;)
I like the idea of the kiosks, but don't think for a second that he won't know that "we are only 47 yards from he entrance to Soarin'...", so if that return time is significant, say 30 minutes or more, we still will end us in the same boat...
Please don't take this as a "woe is us" posting, we care about others and their vacations enjoyment almost as much as ours. :thumbsup2

...and they did that waiting-for the most part-in a shaded and/or a climate controlled area, without the added issue of their autistic son's pending meltdown. :scratchin
We are always aware of how his behavior is affecting those guests around us, and numerous times-with or without-GAC-we would leave a queue due to him having a meltdown. Thankfully, he is slowly honing his skills of patience. He jokes sometimes that it must be difficult for "the normal people", (as he calls us), to not have his memory skills. ;)
I like the idea of the kiosks, but don't think for a second that he won't know that "we are only 47 yards from he entrance to Soarin'...", so if that return time is significant, say 30 minutes or more, we still will end us in the same boat...
Please don't take this as a "woe is us" posting, we care about others and their vacations enjoyment almost as much as ours. :thumbsup2

But the GAC was never meant to shorten waits, right? Isn't that what is said over and over on these boards?

But the GAC was never meant to shorten waits, right? Isn't that what is said over and over on these boards?

It's one thing to wait in a FP line; it's another to walk to a kiosk, wait in line (hopefully not long), wait for your return time (could be an hour), then go back to the ride and wait in the FP line. A lot of walking in circles and the child could have already melted down because he doesn't understand why they had to walk past the ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter