• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Replacement for GAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I think she is saying that people CAN make it without the system that was in place . Some people just have to try.

Yes, but in the meantime they should make it more difficult or impossible for those that can't. That makes a lot of sense.

I still think they should have modified the old system and not overhauled it.

If someone in a wheelchair cannot transfer, then they SHOULD get an immediate FP. They are already going to have to wait longer than most in order to board. Are you really suggesting that they should wait 30min in a line, and then have families pass them while they wait an additional 10min for an accessible car? And that is fair how?

What ARE you talking about? Where did I make ANY suggestions?

If you are in a wheelchair you don't get a GAC, so you are not making any sense. If you need the wheelchair boat, you wait for the wheelchair boat. That has nothing to do with a GAC. Unless of course you were trying to use the GAC as a FOTL. (Which kinda sounds like what you are saying).

Disney created the SAP because they knew it was unfair for those physically disabled to have to wait longer to enjoy the same ride as in comparison to their non-disabled counterparts. There are only so many wheelchair accessible ride vehicles and the wait for one was much longer so to make up for the extra time spent waiting for the vehicle, Disney issued the SAP to cut time off the front end.

Have you been to either WDW or DL before? Ignoring the change, the problem is that there are very few rides where you could wait on a bench and join your family when they get to the front of the line. You'd have to be waiting outside of the ride and then push through everyone to get to the front. That is why the suggestion has always been to use a wheelchair.

Have you checked out the DISabilities forum? They have great information about the current system and as much information about possible changes as any part of the board.

I won't cancel your trips in a panic. Check out the DISabilities forum and wait for the changes to be set in place.

I've been to world many times before, but I've never really paid attention to where the benches are and the disability stuff. My most recent trip to world was in july for 2 days at world and 1 and a half days at universal. We didn't get a GAC for the trip because I didn't want to use my wheel chair and I thought it was only for people in wheel chairs. It turned into a disaster with me being so sick. We kept on having to enter the park really late and leaving early. We just left universal half way through the third day cause I couldn't walk anymore. We came back on the morning of the finale half day to do one ride. Then we spent 2 hours at an olive garden and 4 hours in an airport because take walking anymore. I've the stuff on the official Disney website and some of the fan sites It sounded accommodating. I looked on the disabilities forum but everything on this topic seems to be getting locked there.

I'm sure that SOME can. And many others cannot. For her to act as if the fact that she has special needs children somehow makes her an expert in what people can do is beyond presumptuous. For you, who apparently have no experience with such issues, to suggest the same, is even worse.

I didn't suggest anything. Merely clarifying what I think she was trying to say.
At least that's what I think she was getting at.

Playing "my problem is worse than yours and I manage" doesn't do anyone any good. It Is far from common sense based. Lol. It is like the crazy mommy war crap...putting others down to increase ones own self worth is like schoolyard bullying.

Lol, one idiot, suggested my mom (still weak after chemo) shouldn't use a scooter. She should just suck it up and take the day slower. You can't ever know what others are dealing with. Even if they tell you all you get is a piece of the story.

Hopefully common sense will win. Hopefully they will increase the number of days if nothing else so no one has to start every day in a line for help.

What ARE you talking about? Where did I make ANY suggestions?

It certainly sounded as if you were saying that the poster should not be using their wheelchair + GAC to get to the front of the line faster, but should instead be waiting in the regular line and therefore forced to wait longer than everyone else while the wheelchair boat makes its way around the ride. If that's not true than I stand corrected.

In the past, those who could transfer from their wheelchairs could go through the regular lines and not spend any more time than the average visitor, and I believe that will remain true. However, those who could not transfer needed a GAC so that they could get to the front of the line earlier and then wait for the wheelchair car/boat. I am not sure how the new process will affect them. It seems as if since they will be virtually guaranteed an additional wait for the wheelchair boat, that their DAS return time should be substantially shorter than the actual standby time.

. Disney never should have allowed those with blind disabilities to classify themselves as eligible for the "front of the line pass" which we who have physically disabled relatives refer to as the "hurry up and wait pass".:)

um.. what? being blind is not a "physical" disablity? what would you call it?

and the visually impaired are not asking for FOTL pass. never were. just a way to get to the ride entrance,since navigating the dark, winding queue is out of the question.

um.. what? being blind is not a "physical" disablity? what would you call it?

and the visually impaired are not asking for FOTL pass. never were. just a way to get to the ride entrance,since navigating the dark, winding queue is out of the question.

I think they might mean invisible disabilities. Maybe?

Since this has deteriorated into insults and required a fair amount of cleanup, this topic is now closed.

Anyone who would like more information about the new system as we learn it should read the sticky FAQ on our disABILITIES forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter