Replacement for GAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
All disney is required to do by law is provide access. Everyone by law needs to be able to get on the ride. If you can get on the ride they are doing what they are suppose to do.

Probably 30% of the rides at WDW are not wheelchair accessible and I wonder if taking away the GAC and forcing those in wheelchairs to wait longer than a non-disabled person to experience a ride will unleash the ADA on Disney? I mean, after all, isn't this all about leveling the playing field and making things fair?

I think they should leave thing along BUT limit how many guest traveling with that person gets special treatment. I feel the handicap person and their attendant or 1 traveling companion should be allowed. The same on buses, we have been in the line to board the bus and a group of 10person/family traveling with a scooter person walked right up to the bus and loaded before everyone else leaving those that had been standing waiting for the bus to load after they filled the seats which left many boarding normally standing with small children.

There is already a limit for the bus. I believe it is the guest and up to 5 family members. Though I must say I go to WDW at least once a year and have never seen these hoards of people that some claim travel with so many scooter users.

I think you got the wrong end of the stick, I don't understand how people can claim that it is unfair and how this new card is not equal, and you will be waiting longer to ride, when you will have the option of using two different types of fast passes that you can use intermittently.
It's partially the fault of everyone who complained, that going to the ride enterance to get a return time is a no no that the kiosk idea was created.
I really don't see how anyone could have a problem with the new system.

Well considering that we still really have no idea how same-day FP+ is going to work (what will be available? what times? will there be nothing left but Carousel of Progress or a 7pm slot for PeterPan when you're waiting around at 10am?) I am not surprised that people don't view having a FP in addition to the DAS is that great of a deal.

Maybe if they had waited until FP+ was fully implemented and understood, people would be far less anxious. I can tell you right now that I had FP+ last week and tried to reschedule a couple of rides and there were NO times available. Perhaps they were only allowing a small set of FP+ per ride per hour due to the test, but I have to say that it didn't give me a lot of confidence in the system. We ended up missing more FP+ rides than we made because we weren't able to stick to such a specific schedule.

Out of my 4 kids 2 of them are special needs kids. You are preaching to the choir on how difficult someone's life can be. I choose to use fastpasses and touring plans and have never asked for any special treatment for my kids.

And until you become a moderator on this board you might want to stop telling ppl when and where they should post.

My kids might be more disabled than yours so who trumps who here?

So you have special needs kids and have chosen not to use the GAC in the past? Bully for you. Doesn't change my feelings about your posts one iota. If you are able to get by using a touring plan and FPs then I am very glad for you. As I said, we did the same last year. Unfortunately there are some who don't have that luxury.

There is already a limit for the bus. I believe it is the guest and up to 5 family members. Though I must say I go to WDW at least once a year and have never seen these hoards of people that some claim travel with so many scooter users.

I've never seen large groups accompanying people on scooters either. not saying it doesn't happen. I've just never seen it and I go at least once a year.

crashbb said:
I think the poster (BigAlsGal) meant that the person you were replying to (wiscbugs) would enjoy the crow.

Ah ok well if that is what she meant then saying that fit the situation perfectly.

I'm a 16 year old girl with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. I was diagnosed in march and I'm getting my right shoulder, left hip and maybe my jaw joint replaced next year once my disease is under control enough for the surgeries. I plan all of the Disney vacations for my family. We're going to land in November for my 17th birthday and world in January before my year of surgeries start. My plan for the November trip was for my first day in the part to be my birthday and use the GAC pass to sit on benches while we wait. Then for the rest of the trip I would use my wheel chair. I'm really confused and upset right now. I really hate being in my wheel chair and I don't want to have to be in it on my birthday. I had surgery last month to remove a Osteochondroma (basically a benign tumor made of bone and cartilage) and I was stuck in my wheel chair for 3 and half weeks. I seriously hate my wheel chair I really don't want to have to be in it on my birthday. I'm really confused about the new guest assistance fast pass thing. I've read several articles online and posts in the disabilities section but I'll don't understand exactly what I'll have to do. I'm seriously considering canceling my birthday trip if I have to be in my wheel chair on my birthday. I can't keep walking to kiosk's all day can my mom just go to the kiosks while I wait sitting down? I can't stand in lines that long for even attractions that aren't that popular. Standing for 20 minutes would be pushing it and the less time I spend on my feet the longer I can stay in the park. I just want to sit on a bench or something while waiting for my turn. I don't want what is basically a fast pass for only rides that already offer fast passes. I'm so upset right now that I'm crying I just want to go to Disneyland on my birthday without my wheel chair, please help me.

EDIT: I've just notice several grammar mistakes in my post while reading it over sorry I'm upset.

Those that are in wheelchairs don't currently need a GAC, so I fail to see your logic on how they are going to have to wait longer now.

If you are in a wheelchair and can't transfer, you will want the "hurry up and wait pass", otherwise known as the GAC, or you will end up waiting a much longer time to ride in comparison to a non-disabled person in the standby line. You see, when you are wheelchair bound and can't transfer, you are subject to having to wait a long time for one of the few wheelchair accessible ride vehicles and the GAC at least gives (or gave) you a head start.

Actually I was waiting on someone to say something like you did. I am not trolling. Out of my 4 kids 2 of them are special needs kids. You are preaching to the choir on how difficult someone's life can be. I choose to use fastpasses and touring plans and have never asked for any special treatment for my kids. And until you become a moderator on this board you might want to stop telling ppl when and where they should post. My kids might be more disabled than yours so who trumps who here?

Well, then, you more than most should know that whatever accommodations are needed vary by the disability and that some can't make it without the system that was in place.

I've never seen large groups accompanying people on scooters either. not saying it doesn't happen. I've just never seen it and I go at least once a year.

I've seen it, but only once and back in 1998/99. It was probably an anomaly, and to be honest I'm not entirely sure they were actually all together. I think some people saw the family getting on the bus first and decided to try their luck - and succeeded!

I'm a 16 year old girl with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. I was diagnosed in march and I'm getting my right shoulder, left hip and maybe my jaw joint replaced next year once my disease is under control enough for the surgeries. I plan all of the Disney vacations for my family. We're going to land in November for my 17th birthday and world in January before my year of surgeries start. My plan for the November trip was for my first day in the part to be my birthday and use the GAC pass to sit on benches while we wait. Then for the rest of the trip I would use my wheel chair. I'm really confused and upset right now. I really hate being in my wheel chair and I don't want to have to be in it on my birthday. I had surgery last month to remove a Osteochondroma (basically a benign tumor made of bone and cartilage) and I was stuck in my wheel chair for 3 and half weeks. I seriously hate my wheel chair I really don't want to have to be in it on my birthday. I'm really confused about the new guest assistance fast pass thing. I've read several articles online and posts in the disabilities section but I'll don't understand exactly what I'll have to do. I'm seriously considering canceling my birthday trip if I have to be in my wheel chair on my birthday. I can't keep walking to kiosk's all day can my mom just go to the kiosks while I wait sitting down? I can't stand in lines that long for even attractions that aren't that popular. Standing for 20 minutes would be pushing it and the less time I spend on my feet the longer I can stay in the park. I just want to sit on a bench or something while waiting for my turn. I don't want what is basically a fast pass for only rides that already offer fast passes. I'm so upset right now that I'm crying I just want to go to Disneyland on my birthday without my wheel chair, please help me.

EDIT: I've just notice several grammar mistakes in my post while reading it over sorry I'm upset.

Have you been to either WDW or DL before? Ignoring the change, the problem is that there are very few rides where you could wait on a bench and join your family when they get to the front of the line. You'd have to be waiting outside of the ride and then push through everyone to get to the front. That is why the suggestion has always been to use a wheelchair.

Have you checked out the DISabilities forum? They have great information about the current system and as much information about possible changes as any part of the board.

I wouldn't cancel your trips in a panic. Check out the DISabilities forum and wait for the changes to be set in place.

Well, then, you more than most should know that whatever accommodations are needed vary by the disability and that some can't make it without the system that was in place.

Actually I think she is saying that people CAN make it without the system that was in place . Some people just have to try.

Actually I was waiting on someone to say something like you did. I am not trolling. Out of my 4 kids 2 of them are special needs kids. You are preaching to the choir on how difficult someone's life can be. I choose to use fastpasses and touring plans and have never asked for any special treatment for my kids.

And until you become a moderator on this board you might want to stop telling ppl when and where they should post.

My kids might be more disabled than yours so who trumps who here?

Please don't do this. While this conversation has been heated, as far as I've read back, we don't have anyone posting "my disability is worse than yours." Would I trade my daughter's heart defect for the deadly allergy my friend's son has to bees and peanuts? No. Not because I think one is worse than the other. Because I already know the devil I'm dealing with. One learning curve was enough, thank you very much.

I fully admit I don't have much experience with children who have an ASD. My son just started kindergarten and had to leave behind twin boys who are non-verbal autistic. I'm sure his parents have daily struggles I couldn't begin to understand. I do know my son misses them tremendously. And even at five years old he would not mind waiting in line a little longer so his friends could enjoy Disney for even a little bit of the time he is able to. And I wouldn't begrudge their parents my longer wait if it meant that, for a week, they could have a little extra magic at Disney.

I don't know that a GAC or a DAS would ever be necessary for us (biggest issue is the heat and we travel in January). But anyone who thinks I'd rather have a shorter wait in line than have a child whose first heart surgery took place when she was four days old is deluded.

If you are in a wheelchair and can't transfer, you will want the "hurry up and wait pass", otherwise known as the GAC, or you will end up waiting a much longer time to ride in comparison to a non-disabled person in the standby line. You see, when you are wheelchair bound and can't transfer, you are subject to having to wait a long time for one of the few wheelchair accessible ride vehicles and the GAC at least gives (or gave) you a head start.

If you are in a wheelchair you don't get a GAC, so you are not making any sense. If you need the wheelchair boat, you wait for the wheelchair boat. That has nothing to do with a GAC. Unless of course you were trying to use the GAC as a FOTL. (Which kinda sounds like what you are saying).

Actually I think she is saying that people CAN make it without the system that was in place . Some people just have to try.

I'm sure that SOME can. And many others cannot. For her to act as if the fact that she has special needs children somehow makes her an expert in what people can do is beyond presumptuous. For you, who apparently have no experience with such issues, to suggest the same, is even worse.

If you are in a wheelchair you don't get a GAC, so you are not making any sense. If you need the wheelchair boat, you wait for the wheelchair boat. That has nothing to do with a GAC. Unless of course you were trying to use the GAC as a FOTL. (Which kinda sounds like what you are saying).

If someone in a wheelchair cannot transfer, then they SHOULD get an immediate FP. They are already going to have to wait longer than most in order to board. Are you really suggesting that they should wait 30min in a line, and then have families pass them while they wait an additional 10min for an accessible car? And that is fair how?

This time you typed faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter