Resale or direct

mostly nervous about future changes Disney could make on the resale purchases

What change are you nervous about? What changes are left to make?

They already took away the discounts and the parties. They can take away TOTW, but haven't yet. There's like three pools left on the pool hopping list, and I would never do that anyway.

It's worth several thousands of dollars to me to have a white card.

Note that's only for this second pass. Reservations originally opened a week ago for those with hotel reservations. Full attendance at Moonlight Magic events is likely in the vicinity of 10-12K, depending upon park.
If you started the process today, you’d lock yourself into the current price and incentives. If the new price also comes with better incentives, you would be eligible for those. You just ask to re do the contract.
At 100 points for Poly or VGF, you save $80-100 per point, which puts you in the $8-10k range. That is sufficient savings to buy into a future resort with a small contract if you really must.

A "fully loaded" contract has banked and current points. Buying direct, you never get prior year points, only current year. You can never get banked points on a direct purchase.

I'm not following your math here. How does poly or GF save you $80-100 a point? A non stripped contract is is close to $150 per point. That's only $38 less than what Riviera was at the time.

I'm not following your math here. How does poly or GF save you $80-100 a point? A non stripped contract is is close to $150 per point. That's only $38 less than what Riviera was at the time.

He is interested in VGF or PVB only, which are $50+ more per point direct than RIV direct. That is where the $80-100 difference comes from.

I have grandfathered resale points and <100 direct points, but if I was making the decision today, I'd go resale again. Over the last five years, my wife and I calculated our direct blue card savings at a total of $800 (we don't buy annual passes every year, we get 2 annual trips by moving our trip dates back and forth across 2 weeks). Had we bought our resale points direct, the payback period for the premium paid for direct would be something like 30 years. We aren't overly concerned with not booking RIV or other forthcoming resorts either. We figure by the time there are enough new resorts to matter, someone like David's will have an exchange program that will broker a rental of our BLT points for a rental of RIV or wherever for a small fee.

Blue card has discounts on Annual passes, some restaurants and merchandise.

It's not enough to swing the difference guaranteed, but it is worth doing some math. If it saves for $100 a year on per AP, that for a family of 4 can be 4k over 10 years which starts to cut the difference or can be worth it for separate contracts depending on how many points you're looking at.
I’m probably being irrationally paranoid and a fear of missing out LOL but it worries me like they might change which resorts, take away the fact that we can still book 11 months in advance at the home resort or something like that

Last edited:

But that doesn't represent "changes to existing resale." You will own on the same terms.

That's not it. The original DVC resorts begin to expire in 2042. End of contract for BWV, BCV, BRV, Vero and HHI is January 31, 2042, after which NO ONE - resale or direct - will be able to book them.

So the O14 becomes the O9 and then down from there.

I’m probably being irrationally paranoid and a fear of missing out LOL but it worries me like they might change which resorts, take away the fact that we can still book 11 months in advance at the home resort or something like that

Well, direct or resale, just so you know, the POS gives home resort owners only a 1 month advantage over non resort owners,

However, if they made that type of change, it would have to apply to all owners of the resorts, based on the rules of POS and with the BVTC.

They cannot do that.

There are contracts and rules.

At 100 points for Poly or VGF, you save $80-100 per point, which puts you in the $8-10k range. That is sufficient savings to buy into a future resort with a small contract if you really must.
THIS. Also, you might as well buy resale and save the money with a home resort you know you love, and see how DVC suits your family's travel preferences and then you can add on later. By then, current child may be out of a stroller, and if you're only wrangling a single stroller (or no stroller at all), your views on different resorts may change.

It's also worth mentioning that if your preferences change so much that just selling everything makes sense, you are less likely to take a cold wet bath if you're reselling resale.

THIS. Also, you might as well buy resale and save the money with a home resort you know you love, and see how DVC suits your family's travel preferences and then you can add on later. By then, current child may be out of a stroller, and if you're only wrangling a single stroller (or no stroller at all), your views on different resorts may change.

I’ve been trying to crunch the numbers on how long it would take me to recoup that and the 20% discount on AP that I’d lose so about $400 a year which out time me like 20 years for that to be worth it lol So I think I’m leaning resale and if they make some drastic changes I can always go direct

I have grandfathered resale points and <100 direct points, but if I was making the decision today, I'd go resale again. Over the last five years, my wife and I calculated our direct blue card savings at a total of $800 (we don't buy annual passes every year, we get 2 annual trips by moving our trip dates back and forth across 2 weeks). Had we bought our resale points direct, the payback period for the premium paid for direct would be something like 30 years. We aren't overly concerned with not booking RIV or other forthcoming resorts either. We figure by the time there are enough new resorts to matter, someone like David's will have an exchange program that will broker a rental of our BLT points for a rental of RIV or wherever for a small fee.

I'd be interested to know if anyone here advocating purchasing re-sale vs direct is not a "grandfathered" re-sale buyer. To me it's much easier for those with full memberships to say don't buy direct than it is for those of us wrestling with the re-sale vs direct decision since Jan 2019.

I'd be interested to know if anyone here advocating purchasing re-sale vs direct is not a "grandfathered" re-sale buyer. To me it's much easier for those with full memberships to say don't buy direct than it is for those of us wrestling with the re-sale vs direct decision since Jan 2019.
It’s tough , isn’t it?! Financially of course resale makes sense but long term perks - that’s so hard to put a monetary value on it

It’s tough , isn’t it?! Financially of course resale makes sense but long term perks - that’s so hard to put a monetary value on it
Yes as is the ability to use points at any new properties ..... I believe as 2042 comes that will mean much more. Plus the idea of buying direct "down the road" might be much more costly as DVC prices and minimum point buy ins rise. I want to save the money but don't want to make a mistake that I may regret over what amounts to a couple hundred dollars a year over the life of the contract. Still thinking the combination of direct and resale is what is going to be the right fit for us if we ultimately decide to jump in ...

Yes as is the ability to use points at any new properties ..... I believe as 2042 comes that will mean much more. Plus the idea of buying direct "down the road" might be much more costly as DVC prices and minimum point buy ins rise. I want to save the money but don't want to make a mistake that I may regret over what amounts to a couple hundred dollars a year over the life of the contract. Still thinking the combination of direct and resale is what is going to be the right fit for us if we ultimately decide to jump in ...

I do have the benefits but i also decided to sell BWV and add on at RIV for the purpose of making my kids owners with direct benefits. The membership I was adding them to was not a qualified one so I had to get direct points.

IMO, I think the best to do, unless you really want RIV as your only home resort, is to buy the minimum there of 100..or one of the other Resorts... and then buy the rest resale.

Depending on the resort bought at 100 points, you could be spending only about $4 to $5 k more by doing the split.

I do have the benefits but i also decided to sell BWV and add on at RIV for the purpose of making my kids owners with direct benefits. The membership I was adding them to was not a qualified one so I had to get direct points.

IMO, I think the best to do, unless you really want RIV as your only home resort, is to buy the minimum there of 100..or one of the other Resorts... and then buy the rest resale.

Depending on the resort bought at 100 points, you could be spending only about $4 to $5 k more by doing the split.

Thank you for the insight. I have been researching this since our last trip in November. I am not a math guy so I don't crunch the numbers like some do but in my elementary deductions it would be a difference in the 6-7K range. I feel that we can make up some of that difference with the AP discount and the ability to stay at the new resorts has value to me as well. I was hoping for a little nudge from our guide to get us to the finish line but don't think that is coming lol.

I’m a resale buyer that’s affected by the restrictions. I still advocate buying resale - I just put in an offer a week ago on a second resale contract.

With that being said, if you feel that you want the blue card and the benefits associated with that, go for it. DVC and Disney overall is a decision driven by emotion, not logic, for me. For the amount of money involved with DVC (both upfront and annual dues), you should be happy with your purchase. And you can make the numbers support whichever decision you feel is best for you. ;)

Personally, saving a few thousand dollars each time made me happy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter