Rescheduling trip due to toddler tantrums??

I threaten my 5 and 2 yr old daily that I am
Canceling the trip because I can’t be seen in public with and their behavior

That being said- my oldest went at 15 months, 2 and 3.5. At all of them she still had meltdowns because you know-kids- but over all I wouldn’t have not gone

You can do this. Just remember your plans may change at the days go on or you may have to move at a slower pace- allow time for everything and it will work out

This photo is my 3.5 as we arrived at Epcot...I knew it was going to be a day but it worked out 🤣B660DB51-02A0-4FD5-AF18-2492648CBC3F.jpeg

I threaten my 5 and 2 yr old daily that I am
Canceling the trip because I can’t be seen in public with and their behavior

That being said- my oldest went at 15 months, 2 and 3.5. At all of them she still had meltdowns because you know-kids- but over all I wouldn’t have not gone

You can do this. Just remember your plans may change at the days go on or you may have to move at a slower pace- allow time for everything and it will work out

This photo is my 3.5 as we arrived at Epcot...I knew it was going to be a day but it worked out 🤣View attachment 423251

HA! She's just exuding ATTITUDE!!

You know your kid best, but I do think that when we keep waiting for the other shoe to drop...those little monsters find a way to make it happen. If you go in thinking, this is going to be awful because my brat will be the worst brat in the world, it's going to wash out that way.

I'm also not sure that being holed up in our homes forever because our kids are jerks is a valid strategy either...

I got to Disney for me, not for my kid. I'll make adjustments so its smoother, but I'm not going to let her "2 going on 16" mentality ruin things for me.

Who know your child might react differently being in a place that is fun and full of stuff to see and do. I would go for it. You have already dont the hard part which is planning. GO

Your child is 2. The trip is about YOU, not your LO. Btw, I am mom to two boys ages 4 and 2 and have taken them both on multiple trips. Your toddler will be a toddler wherever he is, but if that is going to stress you out and ruin your time and make it not worth spending your thousands of dollars, then by all means cancel. If you can make the most of it understanding your child's inevitable challenges and behavioral limitations, then go. There is always the future and it does get better. My 4 year old can still whine, but he is SO MUCH easier to manage than my 2 year old who sounds exactly like the child of the mom who broke down crying at Cape May Cafe. Now, because I love Disney so much I never doubted whether I should take little ones. I did it because I wanted to. If you don't want to do this, don't. There will be plenty of time when LO is older. If you want to do it despite the risk, try it. You might be pleasantly surprised. Being a mom of a toddler is hard anywhere, so you might as well be in Disney!

My DD was what they call "spirited" as a toddler. We couldn't even have DH's parents watch her because they could not keep up with her or handle her. She was a total pain at home. She was stubborn, independent, opinionated, loud, high energy, and fast. We took her to WDW when she was 2 yrs 10 months. I was worried about the trip. She was MUCH better behaved at WDW than she was at home. She was absolutely perfect the whole trip outside of one big tantrum the first day when we made her leave MK to go back to the resort for a nap/rest (which resulted in an angry toddler standing behind a curtain in the room pouting and refusing to look at us for almost 3 hours). After that first day we went with stroller naps instead of leaving the park and it worked perfectly for her. She wanted to nap/rest on her own terms! You just never know. I wouldn't cancel a trip because of toddler tantrums. That two year old trip is actually one of my absolute favorite trips because everything was new, wonderful and real to her. You don't get that long with that nowadays-- in kindergarten other kids were "telling it like it is" and spoiling the fantasy of things.

We have gone to WDW or DL or both every year since DD was 2. Our worst trips were actually age 6 and 7. Those ages she was too big for the stroller, but also did not yet have the stamina for all the Disney walking (and by the way from the time she hit 12 months the only place she used a stroller was Disney- she refused to set foot in it anywhere else no matter how much walking was involved). There were many times those 6 and 7 year old trips she was whiny and completely annoying. By age 8, she had the stamina to go all day and our trips were good again. Even though DD was awful as a toddler at home-- those 6 and 7 year old trips were much worse than the pre-school trips. She was always pretty well behaved at WDW/DL as a toddler/pre-schooler even though she was an absolute tyrant at home!

If it makes you feel better, that attitude/strength will serve her well when she gets older. If your child is like DD, she is just independent, strong willed, and frustrated with not being able to do her own thing. DD is now 13--- while we are now dealing with the stress of a hormonal teenager which is a whole different kind of wanting to pull your hair out on a regular basis-- she is also a pretty amazing kid---- self starter, does her own thing, doesn't let others bother her or pressure her, good head on her shoulders with good instincts; great grades, great test scores, involved in lots of activities etc. Those personality traits that are driving you crazy with a toddler might turn out to be a good thing in the long run.

Last edited:
My DD's first trip was at 3.5. She wasn't a big tantrum thrower, but she was terribly willful, hyper, and headstrong.

This was a kid who pretty much refused a stroller. Well, due to the Florida heat and being out all day, it was a first but she loved that stroller at Disney.

The only time things went wrong was when we decided to to that "midday-leave-the-park-for-a-nap-thing." That was a huge mistake. First, she dozed a bit on the way back to the room, then caught sight of the pool. We went to the room, she laid down, I rubbed her back and this went on for about 2 hours with "I wanna go to the pool, I wanna go to the pool...on and on." Never tried that again. She konked out when she needed to either in her stroller in a shady spot or at a restaurant in the AC. We also had a rental car so we got in that one day and drove around for an hour or so.

Otherwise, not many issues and she could be a troublesome one.

I think we may have the same child.

Mine took her first steps at 12 months and then refused to set foot in a stroller ever again other than at Disney. She pretty much took one look at how big WDW was and how that stroller got her from one fun place to the next much faster and jumped right in.

At least it sounds like she looked at you and let you rub your back. Mine kicked and screamed as we dragged her out of MK and then stood behind the window curtain at WL between 2 and 3 hours with her arms crossed and a pout on her face because she couldn't stand to even look at us. Every time we tried to pull the curtain back where we could see her or get her out of it she would turn her back on us and scream "I want to go back to the park! I want to go back to the park! I'M NOT TIRED!!!!!"
We finally gave up and went back to MK and the minute we set foot in the park, she promptly climbed into her stroller and took a nap. We never tried the mid-day break again either. That was her only fit at WDW when she was 2.

Last edited:

My DD was what they call "spirited" as a toddler.

If it makes you feel better, that attitude/strength will serve her well when she gets older. If your child is like DD, she is just independent, strong willed, and frustrated with not being able to do her own thing. DD is now 13--- while we are now dealing with the stress of a hormonal teenager which is a whole different kind of wanting to pull your hair out on a regular basis-- she is also a pretty amazing kid---- self starter, does her own thing, doesn't let others bother her or pressure her, good head on her shoulders with good instincts; great grades, great test scores, involved in lots of activities etc. Those personality traits that are driving you crazy with a toddler might turn out to be a good thing in the long run.

We are so hoping this serves our child well in the long run (and us too). I could have written your post! Thank you so much!

I have taken my now 22 DD year old every year since she was three. The first trip when she was 3 was taken with my parents and while she was “spirited” (I.e. having to leave the grocery store and leaving the cart due to tantrums 😔) my mom insisted what an amazing time the kid will have with her grand parents and I. That same grandma gave me a framed park map of every single place where my DD was in timeout after the trip and apologized lol. 😂

But...there where amazing times! Hence why we’ve been back another 19 times. Oh and that framed park map? DD has it hung in her new house haha

OP, can you afford to stay at the Contemporary or Poly? Our first trip to WDW with our then and still very willful eldest was when he was 3, and we made it a super short weekend trip staying at the Contemporary so we knew we could always pull the ripcord if needed and be back at the resort quickly. We only went to MK and AK on that trip. Our youngest is 3 now and not a tantrum thrower at all, but we are staying at Wilderness so we at least have boat access to MK. We are also doing a resort-only break day in the middle of the trip. When our eldest was 3, we did RD and then left the parks for an afternoon nap break no later than 1. I think it helps, because WDW can be very overstimulating and sometimes kids melt down (and their parents do too!) just from exhaustion. Also, bring snacks and water.

Good luck, op. I remember those days very well (and they weren’t that long ago!) Both my kids are very spirited and my DS throws daily tantrums (still), but we went to WDW when my daughter was 6 and son was 3. It actually worked out great!

I second all the posters who said be flexible and open to whatever happens. I’m a huge planner, but quickly realized the plan wouldn’t always work. You might have to go on “It’s a Small World” 5 times in a row even though you’d rather be on other rides, or you will have to stop at the bathroom because someone has to go AGAIN. Maybe this isn’t the greatest, but I used repeat rides (and sometimes small souvenirs) as carrots for good behavior. “You want to go on Buzz Lightyear again? You want a Buzz toy? Okay, no tantrums until lunchtime.” lol It worked for my kids, and they were surprisingly well behaved!

I didn’t make a lot of ADRs to minimize stress, and we took breaks to go back to the hotel and nap and swim. I told them the plan each day so they would know what to expect, starting with showing them YouTube videos of some rides before the trip and pictures of our resort. I talked to them a lot about expectations for behavior in Disney World and how they should behave in line- lots of social stories. lol As a result, they knew what was coming and what type of behavior was expected. That doesn’t mean they didn’t get cranky. They did, but we really tried to keep them well fed and rested. Keeping a positive, open, and curious attitude ourselves seemed to help A LOT because that reflected in their attitude too.

Probably the biggest weapon in our arsenal was the stroller we rented down there. My husband hated lugging it around, but they could just chill in the shade when they got tired.

Finally, it’s up to you and your attitude about it. If you’re stressed, your child will be stressed. I noticed that very quickly with my own children. But you know your child and yourself best! If you choose to go, you can do it with your child and have a great time even if tantrums happen! If not, you can also go in the future and have a great time! You have support here whatever you decide. Hang in there!

Last edited:
I ultimately canceled it. I just felt it might be better all around if my toddler was a little older, to hopefully be able to be reasoned with more. It's just been pretty unbearable here with the level of fits and tantrums, I don't think it will be enjoyable enough for me right now. Thanks everyone! Trip postponed until the spring. I can't fly all the way there to have a possibly miserable time.😞

Last edited:
Well...my high school senior had some tantrums last year because she didn't get to ride everything she wanted to with a toddler in tow. She actually "blamed" Molli a couple of times. When she wasn't on her phone complaining to her bf about how horrible we were being with our "favoritism" towards her sister that is. LOL I'm sorry you decided to cancel your trip, but ultimately, you know what is best for your family.

It’s a lot of money to spend going in knowing that you will be miserable. We can’t control the unknown things that may come up to ruin a vacation, and that’s the risk we all take. When you have a gnawing feeling in your gut that it will be challenging, it is smart to listen to your inner voice.

Wise decision.

I ultimately canceled it. I just felt it might be better all around if my toddler was a little older, to hopefully be able to be reasoned with more. It's just been pretty unbearable here with the level of fits and tantrums, I don't think it will be enjoyable enough for me right now. Thanks everyone! Trip postponed until the spring. I can't fly all the way there to have a possibly miserable time.😞

I think you made the right decision. I was listening to a Disney podcast the other day talking about this subject and one of the hosts said this, and it is absolutely the truth:

"Your kid is not going to be a different kid just because you are in Disney World."

Amen, brother. Amen.

I read through all these responses and had to chuckle at how some people described their child's "tantrums." So much of those are SO MINOR in comparison to what my son used to do. He couldn't speak due to severe apraxia and autism (which we didn't know at the time) and he would scream so hard he would turn red and vomit, numerous times a day, all while laying down on his back and thrashing around so hard that he injured himself, broke a bedroom door, a closet door, pulled out chunks of his own hair, etc. Each meltdown. would last at MINIMUM 20 minutes, to then be followed by at least an hour of me holding him tightly and rubbing his back while he struggled to regain a normal breathing pattern, drenched in sweat. This started at 16 months old and was an almost daily occurrence until he started being able to speak around age 4. He still had these kinds of meltdowns over the years, the last being about a year ago, at age 12, on the last day of our 10 day WDW vacation. We went on vacations regardless, but our son has had at least one "episode" on each trip. We know it will happen and we just try very hard to mitigate the fallout when it does. Quick exits are our specialty.

No one else knows your daily life right now.

OP do you have an amusement park or theme park near you that you can do almost like a trial run?Even though I see you've decided to cancel the trip it might help for when the trip actually happens.

We will be heading to a more local amusement park soon so I will get a good feel but I can't imagine a miracle occurring at this point in time.

When my oldest started in on his trying tantrum times (which for him was at eighteen months), we found that he did better with plenty of rest (He has always needed his sleep. He kept on with afternoon naps straight through kindergarten!) and plenty of routine. I found little pictures online of the things we did each day and arranged them on the fridge with magnets and he could see what was coming based on what we had already done.

So if I had opted to take him to WDW at that age, I think I would have tried to stick with those things.

I think we would have arranged our stay completely around his normal nap/eating schedule if possible, with just little short trips to the parks. At that young an age they have no expectations about what they will do when they get there, so I'd go for whatever had us waiting the least amount of time and I'd bring little books or whatnot to keep him occupied during any waits we did have.

I think we would have rented a car, to allow us more freedom and a private transportation experience. (In other words, if he only lasted until he got in the car, that would be okay.) Plus I think it would have been more familiar for him.

And I would have tried to limit my expectations. I would expect to have to work through a few tantrums in the parks and I would expect to spend more time at the resort than I ever did before. I might not even try to go into a park every day.

I think if you want to go, and you are willing to work your trip around your toddler, then it may go better than you are currently expecting. But I also think it's absolutely fine if you want to wait a bit and try then. :)

Also, and I think this is the absolutely most important thing I learned over the years.....don't let the people around you make you feel added stress or anxiety. A vast number of the people in the parks have either had young children themselves earlier in their lives or they still do have young children. And no matter what they may say, or how they act, or what they incorrectly remember, their children had tantrums at some point. Their children didn't listen at some point. Their child's favorite word was "NO!!!" at some point. :) And for those who do not currently and/or have never had children, well they still were children themselves at one point and I am sure their own parents could tell tales about them. ;)

I found, with my oldest, that I allows the extremely judgmental nature of people on the internet to put me into a place of near panic when I was in out in actual real-life public with my son because I was convinced that nearly anything we did would bother someone. And I hated the thought of bothering someone. Years of parenting, plus maturity as I got older, plus more experience with the ways people act online made me realize that not only was I making myself sick with worry, but I was making my son nervous, too. And I also realized that yes, someone probably would always find fault with something we did, because some people find fault with everything. And that's their issue, not mine. So now, not only do I try to just enjoy time with my kids in public, but I also try to smile and offer words of encouragement when I see parents & kids struggling on an outing. I know how it was and I want them to know there's no reason for them to feel embarrassed or anxious about their child's choice of location in which to stop behaving their best. :) It happens to us all.

I hope that whenever you choose to go, you have a wonderful time, and that you will look back and focus on the times in which you all were enjoying yourself, and let any of the melt-downs or moments of toddler/preschooler/etc. misbehavior fall away from your memories of the trip. :)

We will be heading to a more local amusement park soon so I will get a good feel but I can't imagine a miracle occurring at this point in time.
lol yeah I'm not sure about a miracle :laughing:

In my area we get heat and humidity and with the amusement park in our area having so much asphalt I was banking on whenever kids come along for my husband and I that we can do test runs there so we know how they deal with those elements and crowds and lines and even just what to pack.

Hopefully your time at your more local amusement park at least helps you out some!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter