Resort Advice Needed - Family of 6 from AUSTRALIA!!!

I would recommend a family suite no matter where you stay. AOA is very nicely themed...to me one the cutest of all the resorts. As for five days in the parks...you can never do and see everything in one trip. You will be very happy with five days and the kids will love it. That way you can have a couple days to chill at the resort and use the pools. Have a blast!

There are a ton of activities at AKL if you are scheduling rest days but someone correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it anyone can come over and enjoy the stuff they do. You could spend a day just animal watching. You want to be close to the parks so the only hit on AKL is its about 5 minutes from AK but about 20 to 25 from the others.

These are the average prices that I have found on the Disney Website (our dates are October 6th-13th). We want to stay onsite as we would like to use the DDP.

Port Orleans Riverside - Standard View $246.43 - $310p/n depending on view
All Star Music - Family Suite $316p/n
Art Of Animation - Family Suite $414.71p/n
Boulder Ridge - Deluxe Studio $461p/n
Beach Club Villas - Deluxe Studio $512p/n
Polynesian Villas Deluxe Studio - $571p/n
Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani - $663 - $747pn depending on view

There is such a big price jump between the different resorts and staying for a week could mean the difference of $$$. Which is what lead me to looking at other options, include the DCV rentals. I just haven't been able to read up enough about them yet to know whether it would be the right choice or not. Especially organising it from Australia.

I think that we are more concerned about the travel to and from parks as well as the resort having a fun pool area and foods the kids will enjoy - rather than the size of the room. As a PP said, we will have a stroller (or even a double stroller) most days and keeping all 4 kids entertained on a very long and potentially crowded bus trip multiple days in a row doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

If you are more concerned about travel to the parks, I would do the Poly studio (I would also price out just a regular room at Poly to see if that offers any price advantage). You will have the monorail to MK, you can walk to the TTC to catch the EP monorail and would just have to bus (or Minnie Van!) to DHS and AK. Poly has two pools, a child splash area, pool and other activities, a good QS (and TS), plus you can see the electric water pageant and fireworks from the beach. You will also have easy access to CR and GF if you'd like to visit or eat at those resorts. BC is great, too (walk or boat to EP and DHS), but it sounds like renting points that week may not be a possibility. I would also look into regular rooms at BC if those are available (a discount is always possible). BC will offer a great pool and access to all of the restaurants in the EP resort area. There is also fun entertainment on the Boardwalk in the evenings.

I checked on some prices for you. American dollars through Disney site and renting points through site (DVC) in Canada. The occupancy numbers listed below are from the Disney site and wouldn't allow listing 4 children in booking the studio rooms. I checked room only pricing. I know you can get park tickets cheaper from other places.

Poly Studio (1Q, 1QS, 1T) WDW $4497 Rental $2210 (130 points) Occupancy - 5
BCV Studio (1Q, 1DS, 1T) WDW $4032 Rental $1819 (107 points) Occupancy - 5
Boulder Studio (1Q, 1DS, 1T) WDW $3630 Rental $1819 (107 points) Occupancy - 5
Copper Studio (1Q, 1QS) WDW $3796 Rental $1819 (107 points) Occupancy - 4
AKV Jambo Studio (1K, 1DS) WDW Rental $1173 (69 points) Occupancy - 4
AKV Kidani Studio (1Q, 1DS) WDW $3528 Rental $1496 (88 points) Occupancy - 4
AKV Kidani 1BR (1K, 1QS, 1T) WDW $5221 Rental $3200 (200 points) Occupancy - 5
POR (2Q, 1T) WDW $1941
ASMu Family Suite WDW $2511
AOA Family Suite WDW $3266

You can add the Dining plan through the same site you rent points. It requires ordering at least 30 days prior to check-in and paying in full at that time. Everyone listed on room reservation must purchase dining plan. Total price for QSDP is $1191.61 and for DDP is $1597.61.

If you decide that ease of transport is your most important concern BCV may edge out the rest since you can walk to 2 parks. I also agree with the above poster about the benefits at Poly. You would have the monorail and boat options there; Boulder and Copper also have boating options. The rest are all bus all the time unless you go with Uber, Minnie Vans, or Taxis. If you're renting a car, parking is free at parks since you'll be staying at the resort.

We have stayed at POR Riverside twice, with another stay planned, and an AOA Family Suite once, so I can comment on those. We are a family of five (mom and dad, three kids ages 6-10 at the time of our last stay). Based on your family size, I would recommend the AOA Family Suite, of those two choices. POR is very nice and has a great pool with a small slide that our kids really enjoyed, but the rooms are tight and there is very little storage space. (Basically three drawers and a rod in the bathroom, along with some under-drawer storage in the bathroom. I had to really plan out where to put everything in order to have a place for everything. Space would be tight there because the room is not very large, but it is possible (we had a stroller for our first stay and fit it just inside the door, so you would have room for a cot or pack and play. Incidentally, in my opinion, paying extra for a pool view at POR is not worth it because you can't really see the pool from the rooms, anyway. There is a walkway and railing outside the rooms (or shrubbery, if first floor), which blocks the view and we also leave the curtains pulled because we don't want anyone who happens to be passing by to look in the room.

The Family Suite at Art of Animation has much more room. There is a bedroom with a queen sized bed and full bath (and dresser with six drawers, if I remember correctly), plus a luggage rack and small hanging rod in the bedroom. The living area has a small fold-out couch and a dining table that folds out into a bed, along with four small dining chairs. In addition to the mini-fridge and coffee-maker (which you would have at any of the resorts), you have a small microwave and some basic papergoods (paper towels, paper plates, plastic utensils, etc.). The living area also has a couple of drawers and hanging rod, as well as a full bathroom. The pool at AOA is nice and there is a splashground area which younger kids would probably really like. The theming of the resort is great--giant Disney characters everywhere! I had hesitations about the food court at a value resort, but I thought that the layout was much more spread out than at POR, and I thought the seating area was actually nicer and it didn't feel as crowded to me.

Although we really liked the space at AOA, we couldn't justify the increase in cost over POR for our upcoming trip, which is why we are staying at POR again. If we added another child to the mix, that would change things for us.

Edited to add: I forgot to comment on transportation. You would need to take a bus from either of these resorts. The trip is not long, about 15 minutes or so depending on the season and traffic. We generally don't have to wait very long for a bus to arrive, usually 10-20 minutes (both at the resort and parks).

Good luck with your planning!

With 5 people and a child under 2 (5+1) you might be limited in your selections due to room occupancy laws here. You'll be fine in the Family suites and have room to spread out. If 5+1 are allowed in a room at Riverside, you will be incredibly crowded. The rooms are NOT very big. I wouldn't do this unless you rent 2 rooms and then you run the risk of them not being connecting rooms as there is no guarantee on that.

As far as the DVC, I don't think you can get even 5 people in any of the studios. I know most of the studios have a queen bed and sleeper sofa and are only able to accommodate 4+1. There is no kitchen in the studios. That leaves you the 1 bedrooms. Someone who is more familiar with renting points can probably help you out but it may be getting late to rent points for October.

As far as the DVC, I don't think you can get even 5 people in any of the studios.

Actually, many of the studios do sleep 5. The challenge is that people keep suggesting studios that sleep 5 that are unavailable for OP's dates on points. That week includes Columbus Day and is already heavily booked at the resorts that sleep 5 in studios (VGF, Poly, BRV, BWV, BCV). 1BR availability is better but the pricing goes up a lot.

I have NOT stayed at any hotels but Poly and one night at Grand Floridian so keep that in mind.
For the ages of your children I think they'd be most interested in the Magic Kingdom and thus the monorail hotels seem to be convenient for my way of thinking. This is not to say the other parks have no joy for the young and those at heart; they do but when it's time to get "Timmy' to bed/pool/or whatever not having to wait 20 minutes for a bus plus travel time is a true blessing.

I think a 5 day pass with a park hopper option is good value for a 7 night stay since you can still visit a water park or two, enjoy the resort's pool(s) or wander Disney Springs (a great place for first night dinner and fun) with no additional cost. Our first trip was for 5 or 6 days and I also opted for 2 less days in the park and we certainly never lacked for good times with 2 adults and 2 children aged 11 and 8 y/o.

I can't say much about how many bedrooms to chose or bathrooms since you know your family best but at the ages listed for your family you could "survive" with one bathroom since none are of an age to monopolise the space. You should keep in mind that the standard rooms at the monorail hotels have a 5 person maximum although I don't know if they would count the youngest in a porta crib or not.

My "OZ" nephew, wife and 2 kiddos under the age of 8, visited Disney Land on their return trip home and had a blast for 2 days.
Hope you and yours do as well:).

PS... the biggest standard rooms are at the monorail hotels.

Last edited:
How exciting for you and your family! Just a few quick thoughts --we love WL and the DVC there would be lovely - great theming ,frequent boats to MK which is a great help with strollers - just roll onto the boat and enjoy the ride..you can also get off the boat at the Contemporary and jump on the monorail which will take you to Epcot. The pools are very nice and you can also do a nature walk over to Fort Wilderness where there are lots of things for the kids to see and do. Five days in the parks would be plenty - there is so much to see around Disney World --ride the monorail and check out some of the hotels is fun...go to Disney Springs on one of the mornings you aren't in the park and stay for lunch (check out the Lego store)..there is also the Minnie car that will pick your family up and take you anywhere on property for around $25.00 if that would be easier (and they have car seats). WL is our very favorite resort - all that said, if you use DVC points then you are locked in and I don't believe you can get your money back if you need to cancel- you would need to purchase trip insurance.
If that is too worrisome, then AoA would be a good choice - the theming is good, the room size is nice and the pool is fine. You can also walk to POP Century easily and I think (please verify) that you can also use their pool. Both resorts have decent food courts as well.
Because it will be more crowded during that week, you will really enjoy a break from the parks and have fun exploring WDW! Have a great trip!

Do you feel you need the separate bedroom the suites offer? If not, I would go with the Poly studio. The Poly is great for getting to both the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. And the studios are larger than most, and have a second shower room.

Thank you everyone for your advice ... although I do feel a little more overwhelmed than ever :scared: there seems to be good and bad points about every option :surfweb:

So most have been saying that the Studios may be too small for us, however when I look up availability on the Disney website it doesn't count my youngest (who will be 2yrs) as a "guest" so I think we can technically stay in a room that sleeps 5. With that being said I'm happy to go with a 1 bedroom I was just conscientious of the cost differences.

Also I was unaware of the US holiday that falls within our dates as it is not a holiday we celebrate in Australia, so I'm worried about availability. Is there any way I can find out what the availability is with DVC points?

The amount of bathrooms doesn't really bother me much either as our children are still small so they can still shower together.

Also in regards to the point. If we decide to go that way is it best to go through a website like http://www.dvcrequest.com/ or through another member on this forum for the slightly cheaper rate?

We are driving up from Miami and are thinking maybe it would be easier if we just kept our rental that way we were just relying on bus??? or is that a silly idea???

Not all the DVC studios fit five people and six (even with a toddler) would be a very tight squeeze so I suggest crossing those off your lists and going with a family suite

You lose the savings of points rentals by booking a 1BR as well
Actually, many of the studios do sleep 5. The challenge is that people keep suggesting studios that sleep 5 that are unavailable for OP's dates on points. That week includes Columbus Day and is already heavily booked at the resorts that sleep 5 in studios (VGF, Poly, BRV, BWV, BCV). 1BR availability is better but the pricing goes up a lot.

Agreed. And you lose the savings of renting DVC points by going to a 1BR. OP would be better off with a family suite at AofA

Hmm...the Poly studio sounds like an interesting option. Transportation is easiest since you can monorail to both Epcot and MK. And of course, the resort is lovely. And of course, like others have said, I've heard the Epcot resorts are very hard to get for October since it is Food and Wine.

Otherwise, AoA is an awesome resort and very "Disney".

Another option is to get two rooms at Pop and hope for connecting rooms. It's often possible, but of course, not guaranteed.

Not all the DVC studios fit five people and six (even with a toddler) would be a very tight squeeze so I suggest crossing those off your lists and going with a family suite

You lose the savings of points rentals by booking a 1BR as well

Agreed. And you lose the savings of renting DVC points by going to a 1BR. OP would be better off with a family suite at AofA

Not true, if I understand. You also save on 1 BR DVC Villas by renting points

We have another option as far as dates go so for all you Disney World experts out there maybe you could give me advice on which week would be best...

Oct 6th - Oct 13th
Oct 19th - Oct 26th
Nov 3rd - Nov 10th

We have another option as far as dates go so for all you Disney World experts out there maybe you could give me advice on which week would be best...

Oct 6th - Oct 13th
Oct 19th - Oct 26th
Nov 3rd - Nov 10th
Oct 19-26! You'd definitely have lower crowds that week, and lower hotel prices as well. Nov 3-10 would be a good second choice, especially if you want to see the parks decorated for Christmas. However, that is Jersey Week (not a real American holiday, but it is a week that sees a big influx of people from New Jersey), so it will be a little more crowded than the week of Oct 19. Here's a link to a good ranking of crowd levels for every week of the year:
https://**************.net/wp-conte...-Ranked-in-Order-from-**************.net_.jpg
We are driving up from Miami and are thinking maybe it would be easier if we just kept our rental that way we were just relying on bus??? or is that a silly idea???
Generally, it's faster to drive your own car to every park except for Magic Kingdom. So, if bus travel is a concern with your larger family, I think having a car would be ideal. If you do have one, I would definitely recommend staying in a family suite at Art of Animation. You'll have lots of space, and, honestly, there's not another resort that would appeal to your kids as much. It's just so in-your-face Disney! The main pool there is fantastic, plus the two smaller pools are really well-themed, it has several play areas, and they even have animation classes several times a day, where they teach you how to draw a character (it's free, and it's fun even for little ones). Your kids will feel like they're in their favorite movies. And, since it doesn't share a bus with any other resort, taking the bus to/from Magic Kingdom wouldn't be bad, or you can try one of the Minnie Vans as PP mentioned. Good luck!

Still too late to rent points to a studio that sleeps 5 any of those dates. Fall is fierce.

Still too late to rent points to a studio that sleeps 5 any of those dates. Fall is fierce.

OK So to afford a 1 Bedroom we would have to rent points, otherwise we go with a family suite at AoA, or a deluxe studio at either BRV or BWV booked through the Disney. Are there any 1 Bedrooms which aren't booked out for those dates? I've look at occupancy for 1 Bedrooms and the only ones that sleep 5 would be AK, OKW or BLT ... is that correct? And still unsure as to whether my 2yr old is counted?

I'm not looking to save money by renting points, but more so to get the most out of my money. When I looked up prices on the Disney website I get

Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge (Deluxe Studio) - $3281
Disney's Art of Animation Resort (Family Suite) - $2903
Disney's BoardWalk Villas (Deluxe Studio) - $3241

So we are happy to pay around the $3200 for accommodation but if we can stay in a 1 Bedroom in a lightly nicer or better situated hotel we would love to do that.

Thanks for all your advice so far and sorry for all my questions!!!

I think you need to keep in mind that when considering renting points, you have to realize that there will probably be availability issues for the time that you are planning your visit, which could severely limit your options. Renting points requires most, if not all, payment at time of booking, with no cancellation or change policy. You could look into some type of insurance, but it would also add to the price. I wouldn't recommend POR with the size of your family (including extra cot/air mattress), and also storage space for a double-stroller. I also recommend getting tickets to cover your entire stay, it wouldn't cost that much more than you are already paying for 5 days. No matter where you stay, you can't avoid wait times for buses. You need to determine where you plan on spending most of your time, and try to stay close in proximity to that park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter