Resort Housekeeping

I watched the Housekeeping presentation for the Disney union and it appears that security checks like someone else experienced will be a thing of the past. The housekeepers can’t even enter the room with another CM—can’t imagine the “security check” folks could.
I'm thinking the people doing the room checks aren't in the union with the housekeepers, so won't not - aka, will - be allowed in the guest rooms. I thought I read somewhere among all the reopening information that Disney [still] reserves the right to enter any guest room at any time.

We are in this price range. I don’t care about daily housekeeping 🤷🏻‍♀️.
——————————
I’m certainly not going to throw a fit over receiving a $10 gift card for reduced services when I’m signing up to go to a place that I KNOW is going to be full of temporarily reduced services. What next? Demanding gift cards or compensation because the pool isn’t open? Because not all of the restaurants at your resort are open? It’s a weird time. Things will be different.

I’m just kind of put off by those who think they deserve compensation for every slight inconvenience.

I agree, also in that range. In a normal non covid time I would never decline housekeeping and laughed the idea off and actually hated how much grosser resorts where that was offered seemed to be. But we’re not in normal times anymore. “The new normal” is a cliche but true. Am I happy about it? No. But as a card carrying union member myself I’m in solidarity with whatever the unions decide is safest for their members even if it means a little inconvenience to me as a guest. And in the scheme of things I guess I just can’t get worked up about it.

Change is normally very difficult for me being neurodiverse so it feels very weird to me to be telling other people to adapt lol

’m just kind of put off by those who think they deserve compensation for every slight inconvenience.

I'm kind of put off by those who want to be critical of those of us who think we should get what we paid for and if we don't we should get refunded for the value of that. That's not called compensation.

I'm kind of put off by those who want to be critical of those of us who think we should get what we paid for and if we don't we should get refunded for the value of that. That's not called compensation.

(That’s actually exactly what compensation is). You paid for a room. Housekeeping is a service they can choose to provide or choose to modify for the safety of their guests and staff. If you want to complain about it, that’s fine. But this is not a hill I care to die on ✌🏼.

(That’s actually exactly what compensation is). You paid for a room. Housekeeping is a service they can choose to provide or choose to modify for the safety of their guests and staff. If you want to complain about it, that’s fine. But this is not a hill I care to die on ✌🏼.
No, it's called refunding you for something you paid for and didn't get. Housekeeping costs are factored into the price of the room. Compensation is getting something without having had to pay for it first due to a loss of some kind. It's not the end of the world, there are many things, much bigger they've cut without cutting prices too. It's just one in a long, long list.

No, it's called refunding you for something you paid for and didn't get. Housekeeping costs are factored into the price of the room. Compensation is getting something without having had to pay for it first due to a loss of some kind. It's not the end of the world, there are many things, much bigger they've cut without cutting prices too. It's just one in a long, long list.

You don't pay for housekeeping. It's not itemized on the bill or a fee that can be removed. Should you get a discount for doing online check in and bypassing the front desk? Should you get a discount if you never use Bell Services? At hotels where breakfast is included do you ask for a refund if you don't eat it?

You don't pay for housekeeping. It's not itemized on the bill or a fee that can be removed. Should you get a discount for doing online check in and bypassing the front desk? Should you get a discount if you never use Bell Services? At hotels where breakfast is included do you ask for a refund if you don't eat it?
You most certainly pay for housekeeping. They don’t do it for free. The cost is factored into the price. It doesn’t have to be itemized. How did they ever come up with the amount to issue in gift cards? It’s because they know what their cost is on housekeeping.

It’s a moot point since it would appear that Disney has decided to do the right thing and continue issuing gifts cards for no housekeeping.

You most certainly pay for housekeeping. They don’t do it for free. The cost is factored into the price. It doesn’t have to be itemized. How did they ever come up with the amount to issue in gift cards? It’s because they know what their cost is on housekeeping.

It’s a moot point since it would appear that Disney has decided to do the right thing and continue issuing gifts cards for no housekeeping.
Unless you're in a deluxe resort, there you still get nothing.

So is the cost of employing front desk staff, bell services, lifeguards, security, etc. But you don't see me looking for money back because I don't use the pool and use online check in.

Having worked in a hotel before, housekeepers do more than just clean your room. In many hotels, they also service communal/public areas, public restrooms, back office/front office areas. There are housekeepers assigned to laundry. Ones that receive and organize shipments. I suspect housekeeping staffing levels will increase or at least remain the same, even though room cleanings are less frequent. They will have a whole slew of things to do when it comes to sanitizing public spaces and keeping things organized and sanitized behind the scenes.

Many industries in general are anticipating adds to staff as a result of the pandemic - more bodies will be needed in light of new sanitization and cleaning protocols, and more will be needed to make up for the loss of efficiency some industries will face with social distancing and cleaning procedures now in place.

No. I think it was more a matter of, what incentive can we offer that will encourage people to forgo housekeeping for the length of their trip. Initially, they were offering $25 per night. That quickly changed to $20 a night, then $15 a night, and down to the current long-standing $10 per night. It was surprisingly popular, so they reduced the amount given out.

So is the cost of employing front desk staff, bell services, lifeguards, security, etc. But you don't see me looking for money back because I don't use the pool and use online check in.
Except the difference is, YOU choose not to use those services. When it comes to housekeeping, the choice is no longer the guests.

I have a different viewpoint in terms of the daily housekeeping in that I understand why they would not want to provide this service.

You are fine with being in the parks with thousands of people and having one person use cleaning products in your room, and I guess you figure they will wear a mask while doing it. But your family is using the room without masks, performing various personal hygiene tasks and otherwise 'contaminating' this relatively small space. I think it is more of a danger to the person who is cleaning your room than it is to you. So maybe consider the view of that person, who is probably not trained in, and simply doesn't have the resources to execute, hospital standards of disinfection. The less they are in your room, breathing your air, and touching your stuff, the better.
Different perspective. thank you.

Except the difference is, YOU choose not to use those services. When it comes to housekeeping, the choice is no longer the guests.

You are still getting housekeeping services, the in-room service during your stay is just reduced. They're doing more than usual between guests and more in communal areas of the resorts.

You are still getting housekeeping services, the in-room service during your stay is just reduced. They're doing more than usual between guests and more in communal areas of the resorts.
Actually the in-room service during your stay is gone, not reduced. Big difference, if you want your room serviced daily!

Actually the in-room service during your stay is gone, not reduced. Big difference, if you want your room serviced daily!

No it's not. It's every other day and they're not doing quite the same service:

And during your stay, your room will receive a light cleaning service every other day, which will include:

• Removal of trash and used towels
  • Replenishment of towels and amenities throughout the room and bathroom
  • Wiping and cleaning of the vanity and counter surfaces
  • Vacuuming if needed

With non DVC resorts now only offering "light" cleaning every other day ( I assume beds will not be made) the big losers out of this besides guests who will be paying full rate but not receiving full services, will be the housekeepers. They obviously will reduce the number of housekeepers needed, or reduce hours worked since it won't take very long now to "clean a room". Additionally, for those guests who left a daily tip that is now out the window because of the "every other day rule", plus many guests will refuse to leave a tip for just having the trash removed and the towels replaced. While some guests will continue to leave a tip, the housekeepers will certainly notice a significant drop in tips, whatever dollar amount their weekly tips added up to.
Usually, cash guests get full cleaning even in DVC rooms

As PP mentioned, housekeeping is just reduced to every other day instead of every day. The bullets PP listed above are the same things housekeeping was doing before, but they were just on a daily basis at that time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter