Resort Survey ... on Resort Fees

Have had a few stays here, for a week at a time. The suites renovation turned out great and I really enjoy this hotel.
I would gladly stay here over Disney hotels - especially since I collect Hilton points.

The bonus with Hilton points = if you pay for your room with points, they waive the resort fee. We stayed at the Hilton directly across from Disney Springs over Thanksgiving. Paid for the whole week with Hilton points and the fee was waived. :thumbsup2

Disney's own information is incorrect, $350 a night for the Poly. The cheapest rate for 2016 is a standard view room for $508 per night.
This was one of the points that has caused many to speculate as to the purpose of the survey. Boardwalk and Poly were only given as examples of Deluxe Resorts, and are much more than $350 a night obviously.

The bonus with Hilton points = if you pay for your room with points, they waive the resort fee. We stayed at the Hilton directly across from Disney Springs over Thanksgiving. Paid for the whole week with Hilton points and the fee was waived. :thumbsup2

Yes all resort fees waived with points. Have stayed at the Hilton. Great location and better pool than Doubletree but suites at Doubletree win for me. Love my HH point stays, have had some good ones.

That really is it in a nutshell.

To me it seems that the execs treat WDW like a monetary printing press. Use all you want..... then just print more. One day that's going to stop working out so well for them. And they have pushed things much further than ever before.

The current executives will be long gone and the stoolies remaining will take the fall...

...the recipe for American boardroom greed is like chicken soup...
...nobody is ever surprised by the taste/aftertaste

What was with the rumor that DCL was going to charge a resort fee for their cabins as well?

The last two times we went to disney we drove to the resort. No magical express needed . So now i have to pay a fee for a service that I do not use !!!

Last edited:
The last two times we went to disney we drove to the resort. No magical express needed . So now a have to pay a fee for a service that I do not use !!!
The flip side of that is, some of us use ME and don't bring a vehicle to the resort, therefore, don't need resort parking - which is also listed as one of the services you receive with the resort fee.

While wifi is nice for all international travelers to keep in touch with work and families, an additional fee is an unnecessary cash grab. A ride to and from the airport is nice, but just charge me for the service. People who stay longer are paying more. And if we need a ride from the airport, how many of us actually also rent a car while on site.

A family that stays 3 nights get their magic bands, so does a family that stay 10!

Some international travelers are already taken back by the high rates of gratuities expected in the USA.

Disney can't afford to increase room rates, increase park passes, increase dining plans and magic maker prices constantly. Have they heard about the laws of diminishing returns.

If people get turned off from Disney, they will find other places to fall in love with, and make family memories.

It's interesting to examine this from the perspective of the number of onsite rooms in each resort category.

Touring Plans lists the number of rooms at each resort on property here.

Category____Num of Rooms % of Total Rooms
Values-------10,308--------37%
Moderates----7,492---------27%
Deluxe--------5,652---------20%
Deluxe Villas---4,164--------15%
Total---------27,616

Assuming a consistent 90% occupancy rate across all resort categories for 365 nights, a $15/night resort fee produces the following revenue annually:
Values-------$50,792,670
Moderates---$36,916,830
Deluxe-------$27,850,230
Deluxe Villas--$20,518,110
Total-------$136,077,840

Because Values make up the majority of the rooms on property, Value resort guests would provide the majority of the revenue from a nightly resort fee.

The room counts for Deluxe Villas would be less of a factor in reality, since I expect the majority of those rooms would be filled by DVC reservations, not cash reservations subject to a resort fee. That would only exacerbate the proportion of total resort fees paid by Value resort guests.

Also, as previous posters have pointed out, a $15 resort fee is also a significantly higher percentage of the nightly cost of a Value resort room than it is for other, more expensive resort categories.

EDIT-formatting

Wow! That blows my mind.

Orlando Weekly had an article yesterday referring to the surveys. They point out only Deluxe resorts are listed - I remember that being discussed 2 years ago when we were there - that maybe it would be only those. They also speculate it being tied to Universal research. In the end we hope for the best and react as necessary for our individual situations.

This isn't something Disney could (or would) tie only to Deluxe resorts...
No one would stay at them and then reservations at Value and Moderate would max out, driving the majority of others off-property.
The real winners here are the off-site resorts... LOL
Really smart business plan huh? "Let's help our competition make even more money!"

I do not see why this is such a big deal. Most hotels already charge a fee for small things like this. It is becoming more and more common. Disney will continue to do things like this until the demand for their hotels goes down. Demand for things such as tickets, hotels and parking has gone up along with the price of those things for many years now. Until demand goes down, Disney knows they can charge fees like this and still get a customer base. We live in a Capitalist society. Prices and fees with be added and go up. Its just the world we live in.:confused3

I do not see why this is such a big deal. Most hotels already charge a fee for small things like this. It is becoming more and more common. Disney will continue to do things like this until the demand for their hotels goes down. Demand for things such as tickets, hotels and parking has gone up along with the price of those things for many years now. Until demand goes down, Disney knows they can charge fees like this and still get a customer base. We live in a Capitalist society. Prices and fees with be added and go up. Its just the world we live in.:confused3
The problem people have is now you are paying for these that were included before. Also Disney resort prices are crazy more than they should be anyways. The swan and dolphin do have resort fees but the actual price of the room is less than a moderate at Disney sometimes.

I wonder how this will affect DVC members. I guess a raise in the fees?

I will seriously consider selling my DVC interests if they institute a resort fee to DVC members.
I already pay over $2000.00 per year in member fees for the pleasure and privilege of owing DVC - if you want to now charge me an additional $15/night every time I stay I will find someplace else that will be more than
willing to take my money and possibly treat me better.

I will seriously consider selling my DVC interests if they institute a resort fee to DVC members.
I already pay over $2000.00 per year in member fees for the pleasure and privilege of owing DVC - if you want to now charge me an additional $15/night every time I stay I will find someplace else that will be more than
willing to take my money and possibly treat me better.

Why sell? Its still going up and You could always double or triple your money (dues) by renting and just informing the renter of the $15/night. Then take the profits and stay someplace free.

Yea I would prefer they do not charge DVC, but if I ran the numbers I would still find it (DVC) amazing.

If you have 400 points, that can get you app 4 weeks in BWV Dream Season, app $71 per night and no tax. Now it would be $86 per night and no tax.

Obviously a big percentage increase, but $86 for a BWV room?

A more expensive example would be BCV during summer (Magic), 400 only gets 3 weeks then, or app $95 per night no tax. That jumps to $110 for a BCV room and no tax.

Last edited:

Because the cost to stay onsite is much more expensive than it is to stay offsite. The amenities that the resorts offer, are why many choose to stay on site. I personally feel like I'm already paying a resort fee with the inflated room rate.

Just like the extra fee for premier parking, just because others are doing it, doesnt mean disney SHOULD do it. Disney used to be the leader in the industry, the little things is what set them apart. Now they are just a follower, they just do what others in the industry do. IMO, thats not good.

I just feel that when you charging $350 a night more like $500 when you add in taxes time of year, You just don't need a $15 resort fee. Diseny should be aware that, they are reaching a point were people are just not be able to afford there parks. That could be a reall problem for them

I just feel that when you charging $350 a night more like $500 when you add in taxes time of year, You just don't need a $15 resort fee. Diseny should be aware that, they are reaching a point were people are just not be able to afford there parks. That could be a reall problem for them

Can we (my family) make these trips work for us financially? Sure, we can. However at some point the nickle and diming gets offensive. Every where you turn they want another penny for something else, or find a way to charge for something else.

The house of mouse is turning into the house of greed.

Can we (my family) make these trips work for us financially? Sure, we can. However at some point the nickle and diming gets offensive. Every where you turn they want another penny for something else, or find a way to charge for something else.

The house of mouse is turning into the house of greed.
"... is turning...", I think "has turned into" is more appropriate.

I just completed a survey about our stay at SSR - 2 of the questions surprised me, and I wonder if anyone else has gotten them - they asked how I would have paid if my Visa debit or credit card were no longer accepted by Disney, and if I would cancel my vacation over it or not. When I answered no, it asked what form of payment I would use instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter