DS…15
DSS…13…Stepson’s first trip to Orlando

Ratings: 1…never again, no way Jose!
2…have had worse, but not much
3…good
4…very good
5…awesome!

DAY 1: Long Drive, topped off with dinner at Rainforest Café

Thank God I had purchased a membership or it would’ve been a 280 min. wait! (Downtown Disney, Saturday night, primetime). Instead, our wait was about 45 min.

Shared appetizer (free with membership): BigBluCrabDip (would’ve been $8.99)…yummy!

DS & I decided to share two dishes…Rasta Pasta & Burger w/Fries. The Burger really hit the spot. Couldn’t eat must of the pasta. We got full too fast. I’ve had this pasta in the past and I remember it being better. Maybe I was in more of a burger mood than I realized. We took the rest of the pasta back to the suite and stuck it in the fridge, but unfortunately never ate it. I hate wasting food…oh well.

DH & DSS shared Planet E Pasta and a Burger w/chips. They ate every bit.

All around a good dining experience. We had a coupon for $10 off, which I got for joining the club. The bill before discounts was $82.41…after discounts it was $67.67, and that included 2 glasses of wine and three soft drinks. Soft drinks are a bit pricey here, imo…$2.49 a piece, but the way my guys down ‘em, they got our money’s worth!

Ratings: Food…3 ½
Service…4
Value…(food, vs.price)…4
Membership Card…5 (so glad I got it!)

DAY 2: Breakfast at the hotel (Springhill Suites at the Marriott Village)…Very decent continental breakfast that includes any and every kind of carb you’d ever care to eat. Plus one “extra” each day. Today was “egg & cheese English Muffin Sandwich day”. Decent, and well worth the price (free with room-rate).

Snack/lunch: Finnegan’s Bar & Grill at Universal Studios

None of us were overly hungry yet, but we really needed a break from the heat, so we stopped in to get hydrated and cooled off. Ordered four soft drinks. We shared 10-wings and an “onion webb”. (Fried shredded onions and potatoes)…all was quite tasty, we drank our body-weight in soft drinks, and the total
Cost was $23.33 (before tip)

Service…4 (we sat at the bar)
Value…5 for getting us hydrated and cooled off…much smarter than buying a drink and snacks in the park and eating outside!
Hard Rock Café: early dinner…Used our “All Access Pass” for immediate seating. DH & I shared a Roast Beef sandwich and a Jerk Chicken Sandwich. The Roast Beef turned out to be the real winner. It was huge and very good! Made the chicken sandwich look wimpy. Both kids got burgers & fries. They said they were very good.
Pulled out my AAA card for a 10% discount…total w/3 soft drinks & 2 glasses Chardonnay…$62.95 including tip.

Service…3
Value…4

Hard Rock Café’s are consistently good and a pretty good value, imo.

DAY 3: No hotel breakfast for us. We slept in. Woke up starving. Went to Chevy’s on the way to Disney Quest. It was a rainy Monday.

Ahhhh Mexican, the breakfast of champions! We don’t have a Chevy’s at home, so this was a nice treat for four starving breakfast-missing travelers.
It didn’t take us long to polish off a ton of chips and delicious salsa with our predictable drinks of choice (Diet Coke for DH & DSS, Sprite for DS, and Chardonnay and water w/lemon for me…hey, I’m on vacation!)
DSS & I had combo plates with 3 items plus beans and rice. DH had the “Saucy Rito” (think HUGE burrito), and DS had a Tostada salad. Everything was very very good. And the total before tip was
$48.42.

Ratings: Food…4
Service…4
Value…5

After a day of trying to avoid rude adults at DisneyQuest, we had a late dinner at Wolfgang Puck’s. The Mexican food had stuck to our ribs for a long time, and we still weren’t up for huge quantities…just good, tasty food. Okay, Okay…we went there for the crème brulee trio…a MUST for me every Orlando trip.

We started with our usual drinks and shared the Spinach w/5 cheese dip. Wonderful! Also, they brought us some nice bread and butter. Very good as well. We then shared two pizzas. One was a pepperoni one, but not an ordinary pepperoni pizza…a Wolfgang pepperoni pizza…In other words, small and thin but tasty! The other pizza was a sausage w/broccoli rabe and olives. We asked for the olives on the side, because DS won’t eat them, but they must’ve misunderstood, cause they brought us extra olives on the side, but still had chopped ones on the pizza. The pizzas were good, but now that places like Calif.Pizza Kitchen exist, they’re certainly not as special as they would’ve been before. And much more expensive. Our goal was to not get too full for dessert, and that was not a problem. We ordered the crème brulee trio…vanilla, chocolate and butterscotch. Also a piece of carrot cake. All were very good. Nothing huge, but tasty.

The bill was $78.44 before tip and that included three glasses of wine which was almost $18 just for them.

Service…3
Value…3

DAY 4: We did get up for the free breakfast, but stuck with carbs instead of the daily “special item”, which turned out to be hard-boiled eggs…okayyyy, to each his own. I’ll pass, unless they’re deviled, maybe, but these were plain.

Breakfast held us off until our 1:00 PS at Kona Café. Yup…this was our Magic Kingdom day, and just like Universal, I wanted us to have a nice break in the middle of the day to get cooled off and hydrated. Having read menus at AllEars, this seemed like a great place for a middle-of-the-day break. Was I ever right!

We started with our usual drinks. DS & I ordered the Asian Noodle Bowl. DH had the BBQ Pork Sandwich, and DSS the Big Kahuna Burger. I thought the Noodle Bowl was okay. Not much to it besides noodles and broth. I expected more meat & veggies for $12.99, and the only flavor was the hot sauce they brought that was VERY hot. Added more heat than flavor. I was pretty much coveting DSS’s juicy big burger and DH’s Asian slaw that came with his sandwich.
Service had been spotty up to this point also, when a new waitress appeared and asked us if we wanted to “go see the desserts”. Okay! Going to see the desserts, led to us ordering 4 of them, with the intention of sharing. I had to try the Koko Puffs, DH the Chocolate Macadamia Nut Tart, DS the White Chocolate Cheesecake, and DSS the Kiddie Kone. (which does not mean kiddie-small). Chef Michael must’ve gotten a kick out of us, cause he sent us a fifth dessert on the house! This was one he said he had just created that was a chocolate piece of heaven, that oozed chocolate when you dug into it. The kiddie kone looked awesome if you like that kind of thing. I was impressed by the Mickey sprinkles, and the blue cotton candy at its base. I’m also not a big cheesecake fan, but my son’s looked great. It was a mound of cheesecake, decorated with half white chocolate frosting and half dark chocolate. The big winners were the Chocolate Macadamia Nut Tart, and the free dessert. My Koko Puffs were great too, but those others were incredible. We literally had a dessert orgy! YUM!

Ratings: Food Food… 3 ½
Desserts…5
Service…Waitress 1…2
Waitress 2…4
Value: 4 I would not hesitate to go back, but would order something besides the Asian Noodle Bowl for an entrée.

Dinner: We ended up so full and so busy for the rest of our Magic Kingdom day, that we waited until we left for a late dinner at Uno Chicago Grill. We each got an individual deep dish pizza, plus we had 3 soft drinks and 2 glasses of wine…total was $52.55 before tip. Pizzas were good…they took awhile, but that’s what happens when you order deep dish. I could only eat a couple pieces of mine. Took the rest back to the hotel fridge. Hubby ate them our last day for breakfast.

Ratings: Food…3
Service…3
Value…3

DAY 5: Breakfast was a light one at the hotel. I believe this was “Sausage Biscuit Day”. Do-able.

This day we went to downtown Orlando to take my Grandmother out to lunch. She lives in a retirement home on Church Street. We walked from there over to the Lake Eola Yacht Club. We were seated right away, and ordered drinks. (the usuals, coffee for Grandma)…they brought rolls. DS & I each ordered a shrimp/lobster pasta dish that was loaded with butter & garlic. DH had a mushroom ravioli dish with a creamy gorgonzola-type sauce. DSS had a burger, I do believe (his usual), and Grandma had the Fish & Chips. All entrees were in the $10-$15 range. I can’t find my receipt now. I had bought an Orlando Entertainment Book before we went and used the coupon for one free lunch.…thus saving $10. The food was excellent, and plentiful. Grandma’s came with three large pieces of fish. She ate two, bought brought the other home for another meal. (Grandma doesn’t waste food, ever!)

Ratings: Food…4 ½
Service…3 ½
Value…4 (great quality for the price! Plus the coupon didn’t hurt!)

Adventurer’s Club: We went there for drinks later. They don’t serve food. Drinks are quite expensive. My DH had to try their famous drink, I had a glass of wine and 2 soft drinks for the kids was $16. But the kids then decided to try one of the non-alcoholic strawberry drinks, thus bringing the next round to $26.
However, lots of fun was to be had, and we left before we had to pay a fee to get in.

We then went back to the hotel, and walked over to Bahama Breeze where we had our usual drinks. I had a Caeser salad, DS had the Jerk Shrimp, and DH & DSS shared the Cuban Bread and Chicken Quesadilla.
Total was $41.56 before tip.

Food…3
Service…3
Value…3

DAY 6…Back to the Parks…this time Epcot! Since we were up early, we each grabbed some breakfast at the hotel. It was Cheese and Egg Sandwich day again, I do believe. Their best “extra” imo. I convinced the guys when we got to Epcot that we should make a PS for lunch, to cool off and get hydrated. Before we left for Orlando, we had decided to go eat in Mexico, but since we had had Chevy’s a couple days before, we decided to try something else. So we made a 1:00 ps for Chefs de France. This would be our first time there.
We arrived about 10 min. early, but were seated promptly. The waiter immediately came over to try and sell us on one of their wine cocktails that come mixed with blackberry liquer. Unfortunately, I couldn’t understand what he was saying. I probably would’ve loved to try one, but until I read the menu, I didn’t comprehend what he said, so I just ordered a regular glass of wine. The guys ordered their usual soft drinks. 3 of us, me, DH and DS decided on the French Menu for lunch, especially after the waiter said my DS could have lobster bisque instead of the French onion soup. (he hates onions). DSS ordered the soup of the day (potato-leek) and the Chicken crepe. Rolls were brought out first, then huge bowls of soup. My DH and I had the wonderful French-onion. Probably the best I’ve ever had! But I had to try DS’s lobster bisque, and boy was that awesome! When I go back one day, I’ll be torn between the two! DSS liked his soup. It was pureed and he didn’t seem disturbed by its green color. The rest of our lunch came out very quickly. Ham & Cheese sandwiches with greens & vinaigrette for the three of us. No ordinary sandwiches here! Very rich! Very cheesy! And not 2 pieces, but 3 a piece! DSS’s crepe was HUGE, and chock full of chicken and mushrooms, in a béarnaise-type sauce. He liked it and managed to polish off the whole thing. I did what I could with my sandwiches, but I knew crème brulee was right around the corner, so I couldn’t finish them. The four of us then proceeded to polish off 3 large vanilla crème brulees. Made the Wolfgang Puck ones from the other night look itsy bitsy. In hindsight, we should’ve probably split two of the French Menu lunches among 3 of us, instead of each having our own. The French lunch, by the way, is $14.95 for the three courses…soup, sandwich w/salad and crème brulee. The total bill that included 2 glasses of wine and 3 soft drinks was $85.79 plus tip. I would not hesitate to go back to this restaurant! And a great value for the quality and quantity!

Food…5
Service…5
Value…5

Once again, we managed to get cooled off and well-hydrated so that we could hit Epcot for the rest of the day! After watching Illuminations, we left the park for a late dinner.

Steak N Shake…DH & I shared a Frisco Melt Platter w/Chili & Fries (chili on the side)
The boys each got Double CheeseBurgers and fries. One child tried the Mint chocolate Chip shake, another had strawberry. Diet Coke for DH, and a tea for me. (they don’t have wine there, thus cramping my vacation-style a bit). The Frisco Melt was actually smaller than I expected. I could’ve eaten a whole one after all, but probably best that I didn’t. The chili was so-so, I wouldn’t order that there again. Kids loved their burgers, fries and shakes. They were very happy at this restaurant selection.
The total was $26.29 before tip.
Food: 3
Service: 3
Value: 3

DAY 7…We slept in a little, not too late to miss a bite of breakfast, then it was off to SeaWorld. Hot Hot SeaWorld. Miserably-hot SeaWorld. Lunch was a stop at Spice Mill. It is served cafeteria style. Three of us ordered the steak & cheese sandwiches, with onions and peppers (minus the onions and peppers for DS)…DH got the Habanero Chicken Sandwich. DS also got a side Caeser salad. We had to wait at the end of the line for them to finish cooking up the steak for the sandwiches. They turned out to be well worth the wait. The whole premise of this place is that they’re not afraid of using tasty spices! The steak was lean and perfectly cooked. The cheese sauce on them was delicious, not your usual fake-cheese stuff that goes on nachos. The peppers were a variety and good. DH liked his sandwich also. DS did not like his salad, cause they had added citrus to the dressing. His loss was my gain, as I thought it was delicious and very fresh tasting. My only complaint with eating here was no free drink refills. My guys can put down the soft drinks and I think this helped lead to a calling-it quits early day. They didn’t get their usual middle-of-the-day hydration in the Florida heat.

Total for four sandwiches, three soft drinks, a tea and a side salad was $46.70.

Food…4
Service…there is none (thus no tip either)
Value…3

We ended up leaving SeaWorld early due to the heat and our fatigue. After resting at the hotel for awhile, we decided to venture out to Joe’s Crab Shack. A risky adventure on a busy Friday night at prime-time, but hey…we had our Rainforest membership and I was not afraid to use it! I flashed that baby and it reduced a two-hour waiting time to about 10 min. Yipee!! We ordered our usual round of drinks. The place was very very crowded. Waiter had to be reminded to get my wine. DS ordered the clam chowder and a lobster & shrimp salad. I ordered a combo special they had with Dungeness Crab (bbq-style for me, please!) and Fried Shrimp, with a twice-baked tater. DH had the fried shrimp platter that had several different types of shrimp. DSS who had sworn he doesn’t like seafood was finally convinced to try some. He orderd the Hawaiian chicken w/Coconut Shrimp. My dinner was absolutely wonderful! From the crab, to the shrimp to the tater…it was sooooo yummy! DSS ended up liking his father’s regular fried shrimp better than his coconut shrimp, so now he likes shrimp!! He said the chicken was good also. All three guys had double-scoop dishes of ice cream for dessert (where DO they put it???) The only disappointment was DS’s lobster and shrimp salad. He expected a salad/salad, and instead it was a mayonnaisy-type pasta salad. He doesn’t care for mayo, so that was disappointing. We were supposed to get 10% off with the Rainforest membership, but they said they couldn’t do that because we had all ordered special promotion meals, so they took off DS’s clam chowder instead. Okay. Anything is fine…we’re full and happy here!
The total, which included 3 soft drinks and 3 glasses of wine, was $85.89 before tip (but after the $4.49 clam chowder came off the bill).

Food…5
Service…3 ½
Value…4

A great “last meal”, before we had to hit the road the next day!

It sounds like you had a great time :) Chefs de France sounds amazing!

The Rainforest Cafe membership sounds really interesting. How much does it cost? Do you have to re-new your membership every year? Thanks.

The Rainforest Cafe membership has already been well worth it for us. As far as I know it should be good at all of the Landry-owned restaurants. I believe I paid $10 for it (and it should be a lifetime membership). They then sent the $10 gift certificate in the mail. Then you either get 10% off your meal or a free appetizer. The best part was the priority seating at Rainforest & Joe's! I have no clue what they're gonna do when everyone shows up at the same time with a membership card!!

Thanks for the fast response Tweetylori :sunny: I think it'll be worth it for me to join.

I hope so, Princess Pooh...I don't know if any parts of the program have changed since we did it. If you have access to enough Landry properties it most definitely will be!

Just found the membership (Safari Club) on the website. Membership is $15.

Thanks for the reviews! I'm thinking about trying the French lunch next trip...
I also was unimpressed with the noodle bowl (or was it the pan Asian pasta????) at Kona.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter