Review of the Kona Cafe

Forever42

The best part of Disney is the food!
After hearing so much about the Tonga Toast, I decided that we should go to the Kona Café one morning for breakfast. We made a priority seating for 9:30 AM but Mike wanted to go earlier to get to the Magic Kingdom earlier that day. We tried to get to the Kona Café for 8 AM without a priority seating, but traffic held us back and we were a little late. It was no problem, though; as there were few people and we were seated immediately. The restaurant used to be a counter service restaurant I’ve heard, and it’s open to the lobby with a metal “fencing” around the side facing the lobby area to separate it. The fans on the ceiling are interesting: a metal pole was installed horizontal near the top of the ceiling with what looked like large hand fans attached, and it turned on the horizontal axis. I’m not sure if they contributed much to moving air, but they were attractive.

We were seated in the middle of the restaurant, and our friendly server came by. Most of our servers tend to be extremely friendly, I find! I ordered the Kona press pot of coffee ($6.99) and a pineapple juice ($1.99), and Mike ordered his usual breakfast orange juice ($1.99). These were brought out within a few minutes, and our server let the coffee sit for another minute while she talked and pressed it herself. This part I didn’t like as I actually like to press it myself. She had made sure that I liked strong coffee when I ordered it, and was this ever strong coffee! Much more so than the pressed pot at Boma’s breakfast. It was very good, though, and worth the money for me. As Mike doesn’t drink coffee, it left the whole pot for me – it was a lot of coffee.

Based on advice from other people on message boards, we decided to order the Tonga Toast ($7.99) for one of us, and a savory dish for the other, and split. The Tonga Toast comes with your choice of meat, between ham, bacon, and sausage. We had also decided on the Calabash breakfast ($9.99), which included potatoes, ham, a cheese sauce, scallions, two eggs, and two biscuits. Since the Calabash breakfast included ham, Mike ordered the sausage with the Tonga Toast. We had a peaceful wait as the restaurant was quiet that early in the morning, and I started to take pictures of the restaurant. Our server noticed and came rushing over to ask if we wanted a picture taken of us. I said it wasn’t necessary, that I was going around taking pictures of everywhere I ate. She suddenly became super-friendly, and started talking about the restaurant, and even pointed out the chocolate Lilo and Stitch, and where the desserts would be put on display later in the day. I was welcome to come back to take pictures of the desserts, as well, which I did.

Soon after, she brought over our breakfasts. The Tonga Toast is very wide, and thankfully it wasn’t deep fried. It looks as if the bread is stuffed in advance (as the bananas inside were slightly brown), and in the morning is put on the griddle with a decent amount of butter, but no French toast batter. It was liberally sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. I found the inside to be light and while I don’t usually like bananas, the inside was good but cold. I was glad to find that the half that I ate wasn’t quite the sugar bomb that I’d heard it to be. The sausages were thick and delicious, perfectly seasoned and cooked.

The Calabash breakfast was garnished with scallions, and for some reason it really tied the whole dish together and made it spectacular. The potatoes were roasted with diced ham and cheese sauce on top, and we had ordered scrambled eggs. The biscuits were small, perhaps an inch and a half in diameter. They were good, but nothing special. The scrambled eggs were slightly underdone, which I don’t like as I usually like my scrambled eggs overdone. It was better when I mixed everything together, though. The ham and potatoes were great, and the cheese sauce was delicious if a little thin. All together, I really enjoyed the Calabash breakfast, even more so than the Tonga Toast. Mike loved them both, and wanted to return someday for breakfast.

A family had been seated while we were eating, and apparently had ordered Mickey pancakes ($4.79) for their daughter, which our server asked if we wanted to take a picture of. It was very cute, though looked a bit plain, which might be good for kids’ palettes.

We relaxed after we ate while I tried to finish my pot of coffee. I noticed another woman with a to-go cup, so I asked our server for one, which she promptly brought. I had a whole cup of coffee left to bring with me to the Magic Kingdom, even after drinking coffee for the whole breakfast.

Service was great for the whole time we were there, friendly and quick, but not pushy. There was plenty of seating for the time of day, though I’m not sure how bad it would be during a busy lunch or dinner time. We do mean to either eat dinner there some day or share a Kiddie Cone after dinner somewhere else. I’d love to go back for either lunch or dinner, as the menus are interesting and varied. Breakfast was relatively inexpensive, and there were banana pecan pancakes that I just have to try sometime!

Photo gallery

I checked out your Kona pictures too. The Tonga Toast is a bit "plainer" than I expected it to look. I guess I pictured it greasier with powdered sugar, etc. My busband would love the other breakfast you ordered. I can see us ordering the exact same thing and splitting it. Thanks for the review and pictures, great job!
Dawn

Another wonderful review! Thank you so much and fantastic pictures - I always wondered what the tonga toast and mickey pancakes looked like!::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo

Enjoyed your review!!
Now that Tony's is closed, Kona is our breakfast spot whenever we do the MK.

Very nice review. Thank you for taking the time to write it. The Kona Cafe is one of our favorite breakfast stops. I must admit, though, I miss the Coral Isle Cafe. Thanks again. :)

Thanks for the review. Sounds like you had a great meal.
I agree, you do need to go back for dinner. ;) The Kona is one of our favorites too.
Thanks again for all the reviews. I really enjoy reding them. :D

We love Tonga Toast but that Calabash meal sounds really good.:earsboy: Yet another difficult decision to make at WDW;)

YUM! Thanks for the great review. I lOVE Tonga Toast, and agree that splitting it is the way to go. Year ago I ate a whole order myself and had quite the "Tonga hangover!"

If you are ever at Riverside, Boatwright's makes their own version, equally delicious. It comes with strawberry sauce on the side. But nothing beats Kona for atmosphere! Make sure to have DINNER there soon. :)

Excellent review and pictures. But I have always thought Tonga Toast was deep fried....sure seems that way to me?? We do love it though although a half order is plenty for me, too.

I hope you do get a chance to have dinner there. It is excellent.

Thanks for the great review. I'm enjoying reading your reviews, they sure are great. Kona Cafe is our favorite place for B'Fast at WDW. We eat there at least a couple of times on every trip. After B'Fast we always take the path over to the Grand Floridian, this is a very nice & relaxing walk. I was always under the impression that the Tonga Toast was deep fried though, maybe they have changed how they cook it.

Thanks for the review! Great pictures ... I've always wondered what Tonga Toast looked like :)

Thanks for another great review! I stopped trying to write 'em after I began reading yours!:D Your page is coming along great too! Do you take requests? Hehehe! I've really wanted to try the Maya Grill at CSR. It couldn't hurt to ask. Seriously, thanks for all the well written, detailed reviews. I enjoy reading them.

Originally posted by Tiziminchac
Thanks for another great review! I stopped trying to write 'em after I began reading yours!:D Your page is coming along great too! Do you take requests? Hehehe! I've really wanted to try the Maya Grill at CSR. It couldn't hurt to ask. Seriously, thanks for all the well written, detailed reviews. I enjoy reading them.

Awww, I'm sorry that you've stopped! But sure, I'd love to take requests within reason, and that's definitely within reason. When were you planning on going?

Originally posted by Forever42
Awww, I'm sorry that you've stopped! But sure, I'd love to take requests within reason, and that's definitely within reason. When were you planning on going?

Don't be sorry, I wasn't that good. I had lunch at the Coral Reef yesterday and I'm trying to do one now. Give me a day or two. As for when I may be going, I don't know. I'm a Florida Seasonal Pass holder and my big black out period is coming so it may be in the Fall. My big problem is that none of my friends have passes (they just won't listen to me!). They all buy one day admission tickets so it is hard to get them to leave the parks to eat at resorts. They want to get all they can from the parks. We are all day trippers. And I have a thing about solo eating. Solo trips aren't bad but I always feel uncomfortable eating alone in full service restaurants. I don't know, it's just how I am. It's a two hour drive for me, you must live really close. I usually make it up once or twice a month, but I'm jealous of you! Anyway, I posted once for reviews of the Maya Grill, but nobody could give me anything recent about the place. I'm interested in the whole Mayan theme. And have decided that sooner or later I must try it out.

We live on the east side of Orlando, right next to UCF. Mike's (DBf) parents live in Hobe Sound, so we go through St Lucie county quite a bit, actually.

I have the same problem with my friends and Disney tickets. Luckily two of them (from the Nine Dragons review) have annual passes, and love to go. Unfortunately it's hard to get them to go to sit down restaurants!

I understand the solo dining concerns - I'm apprehensive about it myself, even though I'm somewhat used to eating by myself in the food court at UCF.

I've been interested in the theme at the Maya Grill as well (I heard the menu used to be more varied...darn!), and just needed a reason to go. It may not be for a few weeks, but I'll try to keep it next on the list of unscheduled sit down restaurants.

Originally posted by Forever42
I've been interested in the theme at the Maya Grill as well (I heard the menu used to be more varied...darn!), and just needed a reason to go. It may not be for a few weeks, but I'll try to keep it next on the list of unscheduled sit down restaurants.

I heard that too. Plus the unoffical guide doesn't do it any justice. I always look for your posts so I will keep my eyes open. Thanks for considering it. I see you also posted the Maya Grill on your list of restaurants to try in the future. :teeth:

thanks for the review....just a VERY small point...the Kona Cafe never used to be counter service....it was previously the Coral Isle Cafe, and was similar.....coffee shop type of establishment.

my 2 cents....:)

Scott

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter