Rides with little leg room

TLS4Mickey

Mouseketeer
I have read through many pages of post and am not seeing anything close to answering my question. It's been, probably, 10 years since I've been to WDW or DL - so, I'm having a hard time remembering what some of the cars/boats/etc., actually look like. I have limited range of motion in one of my knees, I have had this issue for 35 years and, recently, had a knee replacement, but, I haven't gained much more range of motion. I know there were some rides that I had a hard time sitting in because there wasn't much leg room. Last summer we went to Universal and I did struggle with a few of the rides and there was one that I was in tears on because of the lack of room and the pain it was causing. So, I am wondering if anyone can think of any of the rides that may be an issue? I don't, usually, have an issue loading and unloading from a ride - such as rides like poc or small world - it's just the leg room that I need. Also, I will be 4 months out from my knee replacement at the time of my trip to WDW, but, because of my pre existing condition, I have had some complications with the knee replacement and am still really struggling with even bending comfortably - I'm 3 months out, right now. I have seen some post talk about not having a lot of leg room on a 3 wheel ecv- is this really a problem? Can you not stretch your leg out while you are stopped? I was planning on renting one, so, am I better off getting a 4 wheeled ecv? I am not staying in Orlando, I will be staying, at my Dads and he lives an hour away - we are going to the parks 3 times during our 2 week visit. What would be the best way to rent a ecv being that I'm not doing 3 consecutive days and not staying in the Orlando area? Sorry to blend all my questions, but, once I started typing, all these thoughts came to me, lol. Thanks in advance for any advice.

How tall are you? I'm 5 foot 4 inches, and I'm OK on a 3-wheeled ECV. However, I did notice that the 4-wheeled ones, especially the in-park rentals, allow the legs to stretch out more. The only rides I remember having limited leg room are ones that seem to appeal to younger ones-Alladin's Carpets, Triceratops Spin, Barnstormer, etc.

1) At 6'3" with long legs, this is what I have found.
2) BAD RIDES: Avoid for lack of knee room.
. . . Big Thunder Mountain
. . . Any boat ride (leg room OK, but knees hit the seat in front of you)
. . . People Mover (but, you can turn semi-sideways and be comfortable)
3) GOOD RIDES: For leg and knee room
. . . Space Mountain
. . . RnRC (ask for front row, due to leg room)
. . . Tower of Terror
. . . Spaceship Earth
4) ECV's:
. . . the 3-wheelers, as mentioned allow you to your feet off the cart easily.
. . . the 4-wheelers are dependent upon the make and model

The Mine Train has very minimal leg room. If I'm needing my knee brace that day, I'll definitely be skipping it.

Mine Train was the only ride I had trouble with my knees on. The lap bar is narrow and may hurt your knees, if they are swollen. Hardly any leg room at all. Not sure why they made a brand new ride like that. One of my knees was in so much pain when I got off that I had to take a pain pill.

Thanks for replying everyone! After, I posted, I did remember the people mover being one with no leg room - I'm not a big fan of that ride, anyhow, so it's not a big loss. The other rides mention, like the ones aimed for kids and the mine ride - those can be skipped, too, without feeling sad. But, the boat rides, this is a biggie, for me. Particularly, poc- I can't go to a Disney theme park and not ride poc. Therustyscupper (sorry, I don't know how to tag, lol) -you said you're 6'3", I'm only 5'4", do you think I will have the same issues? If so, will they allow me in a row with just one other person so that I can prop my leg up on the bench? Lastly, I feel like there was a ride, at DHS, that I was very uncomfortable with - can anyone think of what that may have been?

This is copied from the disABILITIES FAQs thread, which is pasted near the top of this board. It is about long leg casts, but should be helpful for anyone whose leg can't bend.

If it is a rigid cast, that is a little different and harder to get into things than full leg brace (braces have at least some flexibility.

Someone who is not able to bend the leg at all might have very few attractions they can ride and may have to settle for shows. The wheelchair space In most of the wheelchair accessible ride cars is around 48 inches long.
So, if someone is using a wheelchair and has their leg extended out in front of them, they are likely to be longer than 48 inches.
My DD's personal wheelchair from the tips of her toes to the back of the push handles is almost 40 inches ( and she has little feet). Add a packed backpack, and her wheelchair is about 46 inches. Someone with longer feet or an extended leg might be longer than 48 inches in a wheelchair.
The attractions listed below might have room for someone out of a wheelchair in a regular seat.
Wheelchairs can be brought all the way to the boarding area of most attractions.

Peter Pan and Tomorrowland Transit Authority have moving walkways which can't be slowed or stopped, so would not be accessible to someone with a long leg cast.

Disney used to have a FAQs on their website where they did list the attractions that had more room for a leg cast.
Besides size, you would need to check with the doctor for some - like Tower of Terror. Don't want to risk damage by jostling the leg too much. I removed the things that no longer exist, added the replacement in its place, if the ride car is the same/similar and added some notes about ride cars.

The following attractions have additional space on aisle ways or next to the seating areas and should be able to accommodate a full leg cast. Please speak with a Cast Member at each of these locations for additional information.

Magic Kingdom

• Walt Disney World Railroad (has a wheelchair space in the front car and should fit)
    • The Jungle Cruise (has a wheelchair boat and should fit)
    • Liberty Belle Riverboat (permanent ramp to get in and open space for parking, so will fit)
    • "it's a small world" (has a wheelchair boat and should fit)
    • Cinderella's Golden Carrousel - would be difficult to get on because of several steps
    • Stitch's Great Escape (has wheelchair spots and should fit)
    • Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor - show
    • Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress -show
    • Tiki Room -show
    • Magic Carpets of Aladdin -has a wheelchair car, but it is quite tight. Some wheelchairs do not fit even with out elevating footrests.
    • Country Bear Jamboree -show
    • The Hall of Presidents -show
    • Laugh Floor -show
    • Mickey's Philharmagic -show
    • Winnie the Pooh has a wheelchair car and a wheelchair should fit with a full leg cast. You may want to ask them to turn the motion off to avoid being jostled.
    • Little Mermaid ride in be Fantasyland has a wheelchair car and someone with an extended leg may fit, especially if the are able to angle their leg down.
    • Enchanted Tales with Belle - show
Epcot

• Ellen's Energy Adventure (Universe of Energy - has a wheelchair car, but kind of tight and wheelchair with elevated footrest probably will not fit)
    • 3 Cabelleros (Mexico - wheelchair boat should not be a problem.
    • Wonders of China - 360 movie
    • The American Adventure - show
    • America Gardens Theater - outdoor theater with periodic shows
    • Impressions de France - theater
    • O Canada! - 360 movie
    • Imagination Theater - 3D movie. Wheelchair space is not very deep, so he may have to angle himself
    • Turtle Talk - interactive show (children interact with Crush who appears in a window in front of the theater)
    • The Living Seas with Nemo and Friends - does have a wheelchair car, but it's kind of tight and someone with an extended leg will probably not fit
    • Attractions at Living Seas
    • Living with the Land (The Land) - has a wheelchair boat and should be no problem.
    • Circle of Life movie (The Land) -movie
Disney-MGM Studios

• Star Tours (check with doctor) - would need to transfer to a ride seat
    • Twilight Zone Tower of Terror (check with doctor)
    • Muppet*Vision 4D - movie
    • For the a First Time in Forever - A Frozen Singalong
    • Great Movie Ride (has wheelchair car and may fit. There is a tight turn to get into the wheelchair accessible ride car. There is one ride car the holds more than one wheelchair - someone with a long cast might fit better in that ride car)
    • Voyage of the Little Mermaid - show
    • Playhouse Disney, Live on Stage - show
    • Star Wars - movie and wheelchair accessible walk thru displays
    • Walt Disney, One Man's Dream - museum like attraction
    • Toy Story Mania - has a wheelchair accessible car, but it is fairly tight and wheelchair with leg extended will not fit. If able to get on, beware of the bar that holds the pop gun used during the ride; my daughter has ended up with it crashed into her knee while it was being secured.
Animal Kingdom

• Kilimanjaro Safaris - wheelchair accessible ride car may fit
    • Pangani Forest Exploration Trail
    • Wildlife Express to Conservation Station
    • Conservation Station
    • It's Tough to be a Bug
    • Safari Village Trails
    • Festival of the Lion King
    • Maharajah Jungle Trek
    • Flights of Wonder
    • Nemo, the Musical

For MKSomeone with a long leg cast may not be able to get into Splash Mountain or possibly Pirates because the ride cars are pretty tight. Pirates, possibly is not an easy step in, but might be doable with a long leg cast or brace.
Splash has a very high step over the side, so would probably not work.
Haunted Mansion would probably not work - possibly would work in his own ride car.

Buzz Lightyear and Aladdin have wheelchair cars, but both a tight and the regular car does not have much leg room, although someone with a long leg cast might fit in a row by himself, sitting partly sideways.
The Great Goofini is a small short roller coaster and does not look like it would have space.

For Epcot, Mission Space ride car is fairly tight, so he may not fit and would not have the option of a ride car for himself, but maybe it would work if there were less than 4 in the ride car and if OK with his doctor (even green version can move you around).
Spaceship Earth is also fairly tight, although the walk in is flat.
Maelstrom in Norway is about the same to get into as Splash Mountain - tight and high step over the side.

For the Studio, Toy Story Midway Mania has a wheelchair car, but someone may not fit with a long leg cast. My DD's wheelchair is a fairly tight fit.
They may or may not fit if transferring to the regular ride car, but would have to use the accessible boarding area anyway to avoid the stairs in the regular line.

For AK, if he gets the OK from his doctor and has a waterproof cast, a person with a long leg cast may be able to ride Kali River Rpids. It won't be easy in or out, but they have a special boarding area for guests with disabilities where they trap a boat so it stays still. I would not recommend it though - the water in the boat makes things slippery and the chance of getting totally soaked is great.

Expedition Everest is another one to ask the doctor about. The ride car is pretty tight, but there is a practice car guests can try to see if they would fit.
Dinosaur is very rough and fairly tight.

I would highly recommend skipping Primeval Whirl. It is rough and jostles riders around a lot. Without binging able to use the leg, the rider would not be able to brace very well and would be jostled more than usual.

For most of the rides that require a transfer, the person will be getting in and out on the same side. So, if they are stepping in with the 'bad' leg going in last, they will step out with the bad leg coming out first. This is important to keep in mind because getting in may be easier than getting out (or vice versa).

Big Thunder has more leg room than Splash Mtn, both are tight for me at 6' even.

One thing about Space Mtn.. plenty of leg room IF you sit in the middle or back.. if you sit in the FRONT, less leg room - WAY less. i make sure I do NOT sit in the front on Space Mtn..

Big Thunder has more leg room than Splash Mtn, both are tight for me at 6' even.

One thing about Space Mtn.. plenty of leg room IF you sit in the middle or back.. if you sit in the FRONT, less leg room - WAY less. i make sure I do NOT sit in the front on Space Mtn..

Thank you! This is good information! If anyone can make similar suggestions, for other attractions, that would be great. I read about the leg cast before I even posted, here - it didn't really answer any of my questions. I can bend my leg, I just can't keep it at 90 degrees for an extended period of time, I'll need to straighten it a little.

you should be ok on the people mover you can put your legs up on the set in front of you and enjoy the ride,

BTMRR as long as you are a lone you should be fine sit in the middle of the seat this way it gives you more room ( or if it is just one leg sit to the side.
POTCB should not be that much of a problem as long as they do not put a lot of people in your row and you can sit some what side ways ( this gose for most boat rides) I would just tell the CM at the load place you need more room side you can not bend your leg and they should be OK with this.

you should be ok on the people mover you can put your legs up on the set in front of you and enjoy the ride,

BTMRR as long as you are a lone you should be fine sit in the middle of the seat this way it gives you more room ( or if it is just one leg sit to the side.
POTCB should not be that much of a problem as long as they do not put a lot of people in your row and you can sit some what side ways ( this gose for most boat rides) I would just tell the CM at the load place you need more room side you can not bend your leg and they should be OK with this.

Thank you, great info about the boat rides. I didn't know th cms would put less people, in my row, knowing my issue. I, always, thought they packed the rides as full as possible. I will be sure to mention my issue to the cm's.

Thank you, great info about the boat rides. I didn't know th cms would put less people, in my row, knowing my issue. I, always, thought they packed the rides as full as possible. I will be sure to mention my issue to the cm's.
the re have been times I needed more room and the CM have been very nice about it, I would think if you let them know and your are nice about it they would be ok not packing people in your row and most of the time I go if I am alone I am the only one in my row even with out say I have a disability and need more room ( some time you can tell just by looking at me that I do, so this may be why they let me sit alone most of the time) but yes I think you will have no problem if you let the CM know.

Thank you! This is good information! If anyone can make similar suggestions, for other attractions, that would be great. I read about the leg cast before I even posted, here - it didn't really answer any of my questions. I can bend my leg, I just can't keep it at 90 degrees for an extended period of time, I'll need to straighten it a little.

Splash Mtn is a LONG ride compared to the others.. its not your typical, 30 second roller coaster ride... I have not timed it before but geez, it has to be 2 min or longer.. probably longer..
You can actually get a little leg room IF you sit alone and can turn a little sideways putting your feet on the other side.. otherwise, that one MIGHT be off your list..

Splash Mtn is a LONG ride compared to the others.. its not your typical, 30 second roller coaster ride... I have not timed it before but geez, it has to be 2 min or longer.. probably longer..
You can actually get a little leg room IF you sit alone and can turn a little sideways putting your feet on the other side.. otherwise, that one MIGHT be off your list..
splash is 7 minutes long.

I'm just wanted to update, since I have, now, been to Magic Kingdom - we decided just to do MK only. The only ride, at Mk, that I absolutely could not do was the 7 dwarfs mine ride rollercoaster. There just was not enough leg room for me to bend my knee - you have to really bend it to fit in the car. I didn't have issues on any other ride. I was concerned about POC and IASW and SM - these were not an issue, at all!! Honestly, the biggest issue was navigating the crowds with an ecv - that was very frustrating and a whole other issue, lol. But, just wanted to update in case someone was worried about leg room an, also, getting in and out of the rides.

I'm just wanted to update, since I have, now, been to Magic Kingdom - we decided just to do MK only. The only ride, at Mk, that I absolutely could not do was the 7 dwarfs mine ride rollercoaster. There just was not enough leg room for me to bend my knee - you have to really bend it to fit in the car. I didn't have issues on any other ride. I was concerned about POC and IASW and SM - these were not an issue, at all!! Honestly, the biggest issue was navigating the crowds with an ecv - that was very frustrating and a whole other issue, lol. But, just wanted to update in case someone was worried about leg room an, also, getting in and out of the rides.

I truly appreciate the update, especially since I can't bend one of my knees to a full 90 degrees and I've been wondering about a few rides, also. I've already been wondering about 7DMT and your report is probably the deal breaker.

Since you mentioned experience at Universal, which rides were the most difficult there? I love Ripsaw Falls but am wondering if my days are over of getting in and out of the ride vehicle.

I truly appreciate the update, especially since I can't bend one of my knees to a full 90 degrees and I've been wondering about a few rides, also. I've already been wondering about 7DMT and your report is probably the deal breaker.

Since you mentioned experience at Universal, which rides were the most difficult there? I love Ripsaw Falls but am wondering if my days are over of getting in and out of the ride vehicle.

I really wish I could help you more at Universal. I don't remember what rides were what - I was not a big fan of Universal and don't know much about the theming of each of the rides, there. I would just say to not be afraid to say to the employees that this ride isn't going to work and walk off of it. Go to Universals guest services and tell them that about your situation. They will give you a card that kind of works like a fast pass. You show it the the employees, at the beginning of the ride, and if the wait time is longer than 20 minutes they will give you a return time. If it's less than20 minutes, they will take you an easier way onto the ride unless the que is all flat. I was impressed with the way Universal handles disabilities.

I really wish I could help you more at Universal. I don't remember what rides were what - I was not a big fan of Universal and don't know much about the theming of each of the rides, there. I would just say to not be afraid to say to the employees that this ride isn't going to work and walk off of it. Go to Universals guest services and tell them that about your situation. They will give you a card that kind of works like a fast pass. You show it the the employees, at the beginning of the ride, and if the wait time is longer than 20 minutes they will give you a return time. If it's less than20 minutes, they will take you an easier way onto the ride unless the que is all flat. I was impressed with the way Universal handles disabilities.

Thanks. Waiting in line isn't the problem, though, so I wouldn't qualify for (or need) their version of the disability pass. Plus, we're staying at the Portofino and will have express pass the whole time, along with an ECV so no worries for me there. It's really just the knee bending that I was curious about since that's an issue for me. I guess I'm about to find out in another two months :)

Have had 2 knee replacements. I get the bending of the knee pain..here are rides that bother me. Seven dwarfs mine train, big thunder mountain railroad, Mexico river ride, it's a small world, pirates, dinosaur
Rides I enjoy without the pain of my knee bent for a long time
Soaring, test track, people mover (sit sideways) haunted mansion, any theater show, safari ride at AK, great movie ride
Asked me about specific rides and I will try to help more

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter