***Riding out the hurricane at a Disney resort? Post your experiences here!***

IMG_3500.JPG We didn't get much sleep between the howling wind and my 2 year old being restless. Heard some big thumps during the worst of the storm and saw this morning that a piece of the roofing is flapping around and another large section on the ground. We're in Tokelau and the large downed tree is by the Oasis pool.
IMG_3501.JPG IMG_3502.JPG

WE SURVIVED! That's the good news! SSR never lost power! Now the bad news- I just checked the parking lot to see if our car sustained damage and the water level is at the bottom of the doors. The waters moving fast so I can't tell if the lot is filling up or receding. Can't tell if water is in the car yet. Wanted to go to Polk county to check our house today but ain't gonna happen!

Oh no - that has to be a sinking feeling. Hoping the water doesn't get IN the car.

Love this - what a creative day of activities!

Good morning Disney World!! Happy to see no reports of major damage.

Looked at FAA website a few minutes ago to see what I could expect for my flight into MCO on Thursday.

If you are expected to fly out in the next couple of days - one of the first things you'll want to do today is check with your airline.

Orlando airport has pushed back their expected opening time - it is now Tuesday 9/12 at noon (was previously at 2:00 pm today).

@rteetz

Ryan,

Thanks for the pics. I am supposed to check in this coming Saturday. Yesterday I thought it would be 50/50 if there was power or major damage. The reports from everyone and the pics you posted make me much more confident that WDW came through this is pretty good shape.

j

Last edited:
We arrived at Pop Century on Friday. There were quite a few people checking. They told us the food court would most likely be closed on Sunday and Monday, possibly part of Saturday so we made a trip to Walmart for supplies (not that there was much food left!)
Our room is on the 2nd floor in the first 50's building facing the pool. Heavy rain and substantial winds all of Sunday night. It looks like the look was going to overflow at some points. Never lost power or water.
Monday morning the rain was over although the wind was still blowing pretty good. I took a quick walk around our area and didn't see too much damage aside from a few uprooted trees. All in all it's been an adventure and we made it through safe to the other side and are excited to get our vacation underway as soon as they have everything cleaned up.

Out of curiosity did anyone see what they did with the pools on Saturday night? I'm wondering if they drained them.

At the Poly and the main lava pool water level was dropped well below the sitting ledge a few inches. Water slide was off, and all furniture removed. The play / splash tower area was shut off and drained. I didn't check oasis besides seeing the furniture removed.

The pond area in front of the Poly cerimonial hall was drained as well.

I don't have the greatest pic, but here is one from yesterday afternoon.

IMG_2103.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter