Riding the monorail from EPCOT "for fun" :)

mrsgthatsme

Mouseketeer
My son is 8 and is fascinated by the monorail and has never had the chance to ride it. We will be going to EPCOT later this month and I know the monorail goes through there. Is it possible to ride it in a complete loop "for fun?" Where does it go if you get on at EPCOT and how long would it take to ride it the full route? Thanks!

Noone is checking why you're riding, so there is nothing keeping you from riding it for fun. You wouldn't even need park tickets since the monorail stop is before the Tapstiles. Because of the way the monorail station is designed (you enter inside, but exit outside the secure area), you have to go back through security coming from MK/TTC to Epcot but not the other way around (you enter and exit inside the secure area). I remember a mother with her young child commenting one time on the tram that her son would ride the tram (not the monorail per se, but...) all day if it was up to him.

I also remember being fascinated by the futuristic monorails back when I'd visit Disney as a kid (1983-1996). That was back when the trains were brand new.

We did it one early evening while killing time at Epcot before Illuminations with our kids because we had no other plans/needs to ride the monorail that trip. It was a nice break (DH fell asleep, no surprise!)

PHXscuba

Actual travel time:

TTC to Epcot----9 minutes

Epcot to TTC----7 minutes

(The "loop" inside Epcot is 2 minutes.)

The best time is DURING IllumiNations!:)

When I went as a kid (in the 70s:tongue:), we thought the monorail was a ride.

My son still does. ::yes::

I second the suggestion to transfer to the resort line and do that loop if you have time. I still remember going thru the Contemporary as a kid. I thought it was very cool. And my son likes to stand on the balconies inside and watch the monorails come through (you could combine that with a meal at the QS or Chef Mickeys if you're so inclined).

We love to ride the monorail for fun! I think it is my sons favorite part of Disney. We like to ride the resort loop after eating at Ohana!

My son still does. ::yes::

I second the suggestion to transfer to the resort line and do that loop if you have time. I still remember going thru the Contemporary as a kid. I thought it was very cool. And my son likes to stand on the balconies inside and watch the monorails come through (you could combine that with a meal at the QS or Chef Mickeys if you're so inclined).

I went to WDW as a child in 1972. I was as awed by the ride into the Contemporary building then as I am to this very day. :)

My family is also a “monorail is a must do ride” family. We rode both loops last time we were down and would have gone again except we had to get off due to a signal issue at EPCOT.

Last edited:
On hot days or when my feet are saying "enough already" either of the monorails become my "people mover" alternative and if it takes 2 round trips to Epcot..so be it !!!!

On hot days or when my feet are saying "enough already" either of the monorails become my "people mover" alternative and if it takes 2 round trips to Epcot..so be it !!!!

I believe we've done 4 full circuits on the resort loop plus whatever partial was required to actually get where we were going. I think we've only done the Epcot loop twice on one "ride".

Now, for a fact, our personal best is 10 trips on the Peoplemover without getting off. Cast Members signed Mickey stickers to commemorate the event.

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter