Riesling Bottle Pricing Through MDR

swimfin

DIS Veteran
Hello!
I know that I'm allowed to bring wine on the ship, but I don't want to pay the corking fee/charge in the MDR and this is where we like to have our wine. Someone mentioned that you can buy bottles of wine in the MDR ... we usually do the basic wine package because we like the Riesling on it. Does anyone know the pricing on the bottle of Riesling if I buy it without the package? Cheers!

Depends which Riesling and I don't have a current price list. We always skip the wine packages and a bottle lasts us two dinners so we just buy a bottle as we need one. Spent less than the cheapest wine package but we only bought 4 bottles on a 7 day cruise.

Depends which Riesling and I don't have a current price list. We always skip the wine packages and a bottle lasts us two dinners so we just buy a bottle as we need one. Spent less than the cheapest wine package but we only bought 4 bottles on a 7 day cruise.
It's been a while since I cruised, but don't that have a 4 night package that might have been cheaper than the4 individual bottles? Even though they are call n-day packages, it is really n bottles

It's been a while since I cruised, but don't that have a 4 night package that might have been cheaper than the4 individual bottles? Even though they are call n-day packages, it is really n bottles
They may, I am not up to speed on the packages. Just noting that not everyone drinks a bottle a night. We only bought 4 bottles because we bought a bottle of champagne for New Year's Eve....otherwise 3 would have likely been enough, with maybe a by the glass one night.

we always get the wine package
if you do not finish a bottle at dinner they will hold it for you and deliver it at the following nights dinner
we have also taken the open bottle with us when we left the dining room
you can enjoy it on deck or back in your stateroom
they have varying size packages from 3 or 4 night up to 7 night packages

Riesling is currently between $24 and $39.75 a bottle. If you don't drink it all at dinner you can either take it with you or have them save it for you the next night.
*Edit - that appears to be from the Australian cruises so not sure if that's was in USD

We have found that the wine package doesn't necessarily save you money... Moving forward we will not do the wine package, and instead just order wine as it suits us at dinner.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! We usually do 4 bottles on a 7 night, so that we work PERFECTLY to buy as we go!

THANK YOU everyone!! I will price out the Riesling we normally get on the first night and see if it’s better to order as we finish or in the package. It’s nice to know that we can buy as we go! Cheers!

DCL has two variety of the same riesling in its North American/European wine packages. Selbach Riesling Cabinet ($38/bottle and available by the glass) is in the classic package and the Selbach-Oster Riesling Spatlese ($55 per bottle) is part of the premium package

I used to get one of the wine packages, but have switched to purchasing individual bottles. The package pricing is such that only the most expensive wines on the package lists save any money. Also, the last time I had a package, when I tried to order one of those, it was out of stock, and the offered substitute was a lower priced wine not on the list but available by the bottle or glass from the regular wine list. I felt that was a bit of a bait an switch. I also avoid wine by the glass purchases onboard, except for the discounted “mystery” wine that can be purchased in some of the lounges (essentially opened bottles that they need to finish off). I find the typical pours for win by the glass to be a little small based on the pricing. I think they get 5 glasses per 750 ml bottle (I know this is a pretty common standard pour in many restaurants; I just find it to be a poor value). I usually plan on 4 glasses when I buy a bottle onboard. I drink two glasses the first night and have the assistant server bring the bottle to the MDR the next night so I can finish it. DW doesn’t drink alcohol, so this works for us. I also make sure I work with the assistant server to manage the wine pouring. Otherwise, they have a tendency to “top up” your glass as they pass by your table and see you’ve drunk some of your wine. Good service, but not what I want. For red wines, I pour my own after the first glass, gauging the amount left to leave some for the second night. White wines are usually served with an ice bucket, so the servers have to pour, but I tell them when to stop to control my pace through the bottle.

DCL has two variety of the same riesling in its North American/European wine packages. Selbach Riesling Cabinet ($38/bottle and available by the glass) is in the classic package and the Selbach-Oster Riesling Spatlese ($55 per bottle) is part of the premium package
That's it! We get the one in the classic package, so the package will be a better deal for us if we drink 4 bottles on a 7 night. THANK YOU!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter