Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they even offer backup BGs? It seems when trying from home to see how fast it goes it never mentioned backup groups. It just greyed out after about a minute. I thought it mentions backups after they've filled the non-backups.
I was in line behind a woman in SR who got group 90. So they did release some backup groups.

Did they even offer backup BGs? It seems when trying from home to see how fast it goes it never mentioned backup groups. It just greyed out after about a minute. I thought it mentions backups after they've filled the non-backups.
I saw the back up groups notice after I helped a friend that’s in the park today get their group.

I was practicing at home. I started getting the backup group message just before 9:01.
Same here. I got in right at 9 practicing at home. Then restarted the app and the second time I received the backup message and it was still before 9:01.

Last edited:

DLR: still closed - cutoff at 80 ?backups -

Meantime WDW: backup at 95 and already at 60 for today -- they are crushing it.

How would you feel if instead of offering backup groups at park opening they do it after the regular groups were called?

Guess I should screenshotted it but I was playing along from home. The one time I went through it gave me the backup BG alert.

I didn't actually see that (that the whole party needs to be there) from the first post myself... while it does say you can request to join the virtual queue after entering the park I'm not sure that in itself would explicitly exclude the possibility of creating a group with some members not scanned in the park even though that feels like the most likely assumption I can definitely understand that it might still be a question if just one person from a group needs to be there to request to join.

Glad I wasn't the only one who was unclear on this- it just says you have to be scanned in... It doesn't say "every member of your party must be present" in the first post anywhere.

There may have been a possibility to create a group on the app and have ONE person scan in while the kids stay back at the hotel with the other parent and sleep!

But alas... 🙄

Thanks to this thread we got a boarding group this morning! Being prepared and informed made the situation much less hectic than I had anticipated, so many MANY thanks to all.

-Left Tropicana at 8:28
-Security screen at 8:34
-Headed for the (short) non-MM/EMH lines to the right, scanned in at 8:40
-originally camped out to the right of the train station steps with great Speedtest results, but as more people entered the park we saw speeds get slower and slower (from 37mbps down/21 up to 14down/4up). Rebooting phone/closing apps didn’t improve performance.
-At 8:50 we made the decision to leave the park and find a place on the esplanade.
-Opened Disneyland app and then Atomic Clock app at 8:55
-At 8:59:59 exactly switched from clock app to Disneyland home screen, clicked “Find out more” and got BG 27! I was on T-Mobile with an iPhone XR. Husband’s boarding group button never turned red - he was on Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, also on T-Mobile.

Now camped out in Starbucks with Americanos and egg bites — per the app the ride still hasn’t started boarding yet at 9:31am.

Last edited:
They could do standby instead of backup BG.
Given that there are a limited number of spots for standby, I predict that, as a result, people would come extremely early and camp out to snag one of those desired spots in the standby line. I would also expect a dangerous high speed stampede (regardless of how many cast members would caution against running)—unless they do the slow walking behind the rope thing they did for the Cars Land opening to minimize the initial RSR craziness.

From what I have seen on the Disneyworld site describing the policy & procedure experiments & tweaks they did there, they don’t appear to want people camping out at 4am, which is what I’d expect to happen. People who’d come after park opening would end up the same problems they have now, except that instead of no boarding groups left there’d be a maxed out, closed for further people standby lane with people standing there for hours (instead of, as they can do with the current system, go on other rides while waiting for their turn). Why on earth would anybody want that (besides maybe the small number of DAS people who would get to bypass the line).

I like the current boarding group system and hope that they will still use it when we visit in August. It doesn’t give me a guarantee (nothing is ever guaranteed at Disneyland, and rolling with the punches is part of the experience), but it would give me a decent chance (and I am saying that as the proud owner of an iPhone 5s with AT&T service—not exactly the racing horse of phones...).

I would hate for it to become a lottery, because I tend to unfortunately do notoriously bad on those. 😟 According to the OC Register, Disneyland has an average of 50,000 visitors per day. If I calculate the current 70 guaranteed boarding groups times (generously guesstimated) 100 persons per group, I end up with roughly 7000 ride slots (more if the ride doesn’t break down, as it currently tends to do every once in a while). That would, in a pure lottery, leave me with only a 14% chance at winning one of those spots, which strikes me as rather crummy odds. Even if there would be more than one lottery with chunks being raffled out & taking part in the earliest one and then again in all later ones would improve those odds (while other people doing the same and more people being in the park in the second half of the day would decrease them). Since the 50,000 is an a average & I’d be there in summer when kids are on break, my odds are likely to be lower than those of somebody who’s there at an off-season weekday.

The worst thing would of course be an advance lottery, similar to what they did for Galaxy’s Edge opening reservations, with a virtually unlimited number of people anywhere (including those not even in the park or not even planning to be in the park but simply entering for kicks) competing for the same limited number of spots.

Yeah, math!

Mine did too. No way it was available till 9:07

I am not at the park. I was on the app and able to pull up a boarding group until almost 9:01 when it sent me to the backup menu. I tried a few more times for backup and it kept working. As I refreshed it at 9:07 it told me all backup groups were gone. All I can tell you is what I experienced.

I would not like that. I want to know in the beginning of the day and then go about my business. I would not want to have to stalk the app to try again later at some unknown time.
What if they released groups at different times instead of all at once. One at park opening. One at like 12 and another at 4?

I am not at the park. I was on the app and able to pull up a boarding group until almost 9:01 when it sent me to the backup menu. I tried a few more times for backup and it kept working. As I refreshed it at 9:07 it told me all backup groups were gone. All I can tell you is what I experienced.
Was the button grayed out for you? At 9:02 it was grayed out for me but still offering backup groups.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter