• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If I was a new buyer, I would purchase RR in two 50 point contracts to get me to 100 points for the direct perks. After that every other purchase would be resale. The only reason I would buy RR now is the direct is not much more than SSR direct and you get the 2070 expiration year. However I might wait another year as I think we are heading into recession/depression and I think we are going to see better incentives over the next year.

If I was a new buyer, I would purchase RR in two 50 point contracts to get me to 100 points for the direct perks. After that every other purchase would be resale. The only reason I would buy RR now is the direct is not much more than SSR direct and you get the 2070 expiration year. However I might wait another year as I think we are heading into recession/depression and I think we are going to see better incentives over the next year.
I didn't think there were any incentives for 100 point purchase? Isn't SSR 165 and RR 195?

This is smart. When selling off DVC contracts the smaller the contract the more per point if usually sells for. Plus if you are worried about resale restrictions, buyers might be less concerned about the points being restricted if its only 50-75 points vs 150-300.

I think the question is, do you absolutely love Riviera? I would suggest most people should purchase Saratoga Springs or Old Key West as their direct purchase, but only if they’re happy to stay at one of those resorts. I think Riviera makes a lot of sense though, if you 1) love Riviera, and 2) are pretty confident that you will get something like 20 years use out of it.

I really love the Riviera, so much so that I would love to sell our CCV and Aulani contracts and buy there, except like CastAStone states in post on page one, you need to be confident that you will get the 20 years of use out of it. We are both in our late 60s with no children and our heirs are not the Disney fans we are and may not be able to avoid the dues anyway. I also think that the value rapidly declines for the resale market as the resale points are only eligible at the Riviera so it might be the first DVC WDW resort where members will not get their money back when they decide to sell it. So we won't be buying there. I will just try to move our reservations there at the 7 month mark along with many of DVC members, so my chances of getting a reservation during our usual travel dates are slim to none.

Sure is a beautiful resort. I don't think you can go wrong there as long as the Skyliner wait times are not too bad. We got a chance to ride last week and there was no line in the afternoon. Awesome transportation option!

The resale restriction is also a pain if you purchased at RR direct, but realized you need more points down the road. Your options are buy more direct from Disney or buy resale have points that only work at RR. Resale RR points are more like RR Club points instead of DVC points.

The resale restriction is also a pain if you purchased at RR direct, but realized you need more points down the road. Your options are buy more direct from Disney or buy resale have points that only work at RR. Resale RR points are more like RR Club points instead of DVC points.

And as soon as the resort sells out expect a $20-$40 price increase and removal all incentives "because". So if you need points realize that now not later.

I really love the Riviera, so much so that I would love to sell our CCV and Aulani contracts and buy there, except like CastAStone states in post on page one, you need to be confident that you will get the 20 years of use out of it.

Hey, if you love RIV, maybe you can get a deal on the resale! Maybe you can be some of the first third-class citizens with a green card or pink card, or whatever new color card! RIV resale is coming.

Edit to add: As Poly has shown, Disney didn't do any ROFR while selling and even a couple years after that. At this rate, resale will start long before RIV sells out.

Last edited:
So now that I have my 300 pts RIv direct, if I purchase another 300 pts resale from say HHI, can I use them in combination when I book a resort?

Not Sure why you buy hhi but you can combine at 7 months for any resort but RIV
I would buy HHI because we love the resort and would like the 11 month booking window. So if I purchase any points resale can I combine them with my Riv points and still book at 11 months?

I would buy HHI because we love the resort and would like the 11 month booking window. So if I purchase any points resale can I combine them with my Riv points and still book at 11 months?

11 months points only work at the resort they are from. At 7 months you can then combine fully.

So now that I have my 300 pts RIv direct, if I purchase another 300 pts resale from say HHI, can I use them in combination when I book a resort?
Did you end up splitting the 300 pt contract up into smaller contracts as was suggested?

I wonder if maybe you should back out of the contract with DVC (or ask your guide to put it on pause)? That question implies that you don't understand some of the basics of DVC point usage, which is important since you bought a property with additional restrictions (as compared to other resorts). $50K is a lot of money to spend on something -- there's no rush, especially with the pandemic curtailing park visits and incentives likely to stay the same or improve.

If you buy HHI resale now you can combine's at 7 months for all resorts except Riviera for someone who bought retail at Riviera. To be able to do so online you'll need the points combined into a single master contract with the same use year and EXACT same title names.

I don't buy cheap like Dean above has mentioned that's a poor use of money unless it's a rising stock or real estate. I would not want to be stuck at SSR either, no thank you, it's a one and done for me and for many other people I know as well.

My vacations have meaning to me and if I get stuck somewhere I don't want to be then not much of a vacation I 'd rather stay home. I have never saved any money going on vacation it usually costs more than I want but if I am happy it's worth every penny.

You should try booking at 7 months at a popular time say between the end of October and April and you'll wish you bought at the resort you like to stay at.

You should try booking at 7 months at a popular time say between the end of October and April and you'll wish you bought at the resort you like to stay at.

The bad time is really October to December and then April (easter/spring break) it would seem from what I have come across and what availability charts have shown.

Now places like BCV, VGF, and VGC will always be difficult but people should review the availability charts. Its why though you should buy where you don't mind staying at minimum or buy where you want to stay.

We're DVC members from 2004 and have been really fortunate to stay at almost all of the DVC resorts & even deluxe resorts pre-DVC additions through the Disney Collection exchange. Riviera is one of the resorts I'm most excited to try & vacations I'm most excited to plan I agree with the posters on here, the initial sentiment on the DVC boards during pre-planning for both the Resort and Skyliner system seemed mixed. But now, after seeing the photos & actual footage from guests & Disney, I really can't wait to check it out in person. Congrats to all those new owners and WELCOME HOME!
:welcome:

So I can’t believe I’m saying this, but we just added on direct at Riviera. We purchased 2 CCV Fixed Weeks in June, but in talking to our guide, discovered that since our contract hadn’t closed, we could add on points, rewrite the CCV contract, and get the extra incentive. DH really wanted to add on at RIV back in February and I talked him out of it because of dues and point charts, but we really did want a resort near Epcot and HS as we already own at BRV, CCV (MK area) and AKV (AKL area). Buying just 65 Riviera points on top of the 2 CCV FWs and hitting the next incentive level means we’d effectively only be paying $136.85 per point, and that seemed a good deal. I then got convinced to add on 100 points instead (in 2 50 point contracts) so they’d be grandfathered into the 100 point minimum for direct benefits, which made it $143.20 per point. I’m a little less happy with that, but it’s still a good value, and we got 2019 points to boot. So after all my “we won’t own there” posts, DH has made a liar of me. ;-)

So I can’t believe I’m saying this, but we just added on direct at Riviera. We purchased 2 CCV Fixed Weeks in June, but in talking to our guide, discovered that since our contract hadn’t closed, we could add on points, rewrite the CCV contract, and get the extra incentive. DH really wanted to add on at RIV back in February and I talked him out of it because of dues and point charts, but we really did want a resort near Epcot and HS as we already own at BRV, CCV (MK area) and AKV (AKL area). Buying just 65 Riviera points on top of the 2 CCV FWs and hitting the next incentive level means we’d effectively only be paying $136.85 per point, and that seemed a good deal. I then got convinced to add on 100 points instead (in 2 50 point contracts) so they’d be grandfathered into the 100 point minimum for direct benefits, which made it $143.20 per point. I’m a little less happy with that, but it’s still a good value, and we got 2019 points to boot. So after all my “we won’t own there” posts, DH has made a liar of me. ;-)

o_O As we are all holding out for a covid vaccine, you my friend need an addonitis vaccine!! SOON. Is there a VGC in your future again?! :P

I remember your 'never Riviera' posts. The resort seems to be warming some hearts lately.

What was it that finally broke you to make you become a Riviera sith? You know the sky will fall in because of restrictions dont you!? ;)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter