Riviera murphy bed fell off of the wall

Disney had the ability to inspect this work throughout the building's construction. Stuff like this sounds more like contractors being forced to work on an unrealistic schedule that leads to rushed work. It is possible Disney was willing to make some sacrifices to make their planned opening.

Disney had the ability to inspect this work throughout the building's construction. Stuff like this sounds more like contractors being forced to work on an unrealistic schedule that leads to rushed work. It is possible Disney was willing to make some sacrifices to make their planned opening.
That is unfortunate because I witness’s this when I was building my home. The builders tried to finish before the deadline and I said nope!! These companies get payed upon completion. The Internet also doesn’t help I’m sure other Dvc resorts and and other resorts in general have had issues but for some reason if someone speaks negatively about riviera they have to get those views and clicks

Correct Disney had the ability to inspect the work. Though practically speaking any construction site only does spot checking as to fully check every detail would effectively be doubling costs since two people would now be doing the same job.

In the scheme of construction mishaps that are widely known this is relatively minor. Yes dangerous but there are many well documented cases from high profile construction projects (think skyscrapers) were construction cut corners or made mistakes (mistakes that were extremely dangerous). I wouldn’t be surprised that this is one of a handful of Murphy beds where the anchoring wasn’t correct but also wouldn’t be surprised if there was many more.

Its more than likely that the construction company wasn’t forced per se to work faster but likely offered a performance incentive to finish at certain timelines. It’s more of a bonus to the construction company in this case so it would really be on them. This is generally how construction projects work.

Tell that to the families of the men who died when the hard rock hotel in NOLS collapsed earlier this year.

Correct Disney had the ability to inspect the work. Though practically speaking any construction site only does spot checking as to fully check every detail would effectively be doubling costs since two people would now be doing the same job.

In the scheme of construction mishaps that are widely known this is relatively minor. Yes dangerous but there are many well documented cases from high profile construction projects (think skyscrapers) were construction cut corners or made mistakes (mistakes that were extremely dangerous). I wouldn’t be surprised that this is one of a handful of Murphy beds where the anchoring wasn’t correct but also wouldn’t be surprised if there was many more.

Its more than likely that the construction company wasn’t forced per se to work faster but likely offered a performance incentive to finish at certain timelines. It’s more of a bonus to the construction company in this case so it would really be on them. This is generally how construction projects work.
I was referring more to what seems to be a widespread paint splatter problem than the murphy bed situation. The paint splatter issue reeks of rushed work.

Last edited:

Hold on sir you have to bash riviera and Disney come on ur going against the grain lol

thank you for the logic of ur response as it’s true these things happen very often and are documented and I’m 100% sure that it is being investigated

Building codes vary. Dade county has some of the strictest in the country. Usually a state adopts a certain version and I have no idea what Florida uses. Your "regular" plastic anchors the little cute ones you get with most purchases are rated for about 10 pounds. It looks like their COULD be white ones on those 2 screws, but its hard to tell.

Anyway, even 'Pop toggles' I think top out at a 50 pound rating.

Something like that can not be screwed into hallow drywall. They would either have to hit a stud, or it would have to be a masonry surface with an appropriate anchor or fastener.

I haven't worked in hardware retail for about 5 years so I forget the actual numbers.

I wonder if they missed the metal stud

Hold on sir you have to bash riviera and Disney come on ur going against the grain lol

I understand that some people feel very defensive of Riviera after some of the reactions due to restrictions, but I feel there has been very little bashing. In fact, it has gone the opposite way. People are just discussing an issue that genuinely happened, yet on another thread people starting victim blaming and saying they shouldn’t have been using the bed!

I haven’t seen anyone suggesting this is a reason not to buy there, or not to stay there. I haven’t seen anyone say it is all Disney’s fault, or all Riviera’s fault. There has been an issue with new beds at a new resort and people are allowed to say this! You don’t have to scroll too far to see a thread complaining about BCV (my home resort). This isn’t because everyone’s against it, but because we’re allowed opinions (hopefully :-) ).

There are a couple of threads on this issue. So I'm unsure if I've mentioned it in this one.
There are likely metal studs in the wall. Hitting those can be problematic with a stud finder. They also tend to have box holes in the stud on occasion.
Screwing into metal studs can be tricky. Often if the wrong screws are used, the hole can strip a lot easier. You just don't have the same depth of material for the screw to bite into.
My guess is they hit the stud one set of screws, but missed with the other. That being said, anyone that has worked on the stuff should have a pretty good feel for whether the screw bit or not. It's fixable, but the hotel maintenance staff are left holding the bag to get it right.

It may be that they inspected several installations and were satisfied that procedures were being followed correctly- then some later installation team shortcut the procedure.

The contractor is definitely culpable but Disney should be inspecting their work. I wonder what other corners they cut.

Has anybody heard Disney's response or been made aware of the fixes or if other mistakes were found?

All of the other beds are out of use as they want to check them (they have stuck signs on). Anyone who was hoping to use it has been asked to speak to them (probable upgrade to larger room so it doesn’t have to be used).

The original people involved were moved to a larger room but have said they don’t want to comment further as the situation is ongoing.

I think that’s all we actually know at the moment.

All of the other beds are out of use as they want to check them (they have stuck signs on). Anyone who was hoping to use it has been asked to speak to them (probable upgrade to larger room so it doesn’t have to be used).

The original people involved were moved to a larger room but have said they don’t want to comment further as the situation is ongoing.

I think that’s all we actually know at the moment.

Hmmm...no more commenting from the family involved = they’ve been told to keep quiet if they want to get some money out of this debacle. I’d keep quiet at this point too.

It’s sad. We had so many DVC vacations with our daughter starting when she was 5 years old. She’s now 30..so for many years and always felt very safe at Disney properties. I think this just shows how much their standards have changed thru the years. We just returned from an Aulani trip for my daughters wedding. We had several very scary incidents with their elevators losing lights and going into a free fall. Fortunately no one was injured. But we had to make several complaints. After the second time my daughter would not take the elevator and walked down 8 floors. We were not the only ones that experienced this. They only closed off one elevator and didn’t check them all....I chalked it up to being on Hawaiian time, but after hearing this I’m thinking they need to supervise their builders better. Sorry...got a little off subject with Aulani.
There are no words. That is one of my worst nightmares and the reason I prefer to stay on the lowest floor possible everywhere we go. The highest floor I have accepted was the 6th and that was only because I got a CL studio at AKVs for two nights last year.

I will edit this to add when we cruised with DCL I did go up and down a lot of floors to be able to enjoy the ship. And this really makes me wonder if I will ever want to cruise again. What I could do is just get into good enough shape to take the stairs. That is a great goal there. But this is one of the most horrifying reports I have ever read on the DIS, in the 15 years I have been here.

Ironic timing ... I just received an email from DVC encouraging me to add on at Riviera.

Subject: Save $750 or more when you add on at our new Resort!
Date: Wed, Dec 18, 2019 6:27 pm

Dear xxxxxx Family,

There’s still time to save $750 or more this holiday season, when you give your family the gift of more Vacation Points at the newly opened Disney’s Riviera Resort!

With more Points, your family can visit this getaway more often and lounge in luxury, or take the Disney Skyliner to discover new adventures — like Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure, projected to open Summer 2020 at Walt Disney World® Resort.

Lock in the current rate before the price-per Vacation Point at Disney’s Riviera Resort increases from $188 to $195 on 1/29.
CALL (866) xxx-xxxx

LEARN MORE
xxx xxxxxx
Your Disney Vacation Club® Guide
Disney Vacation Club | Stay Magical Year After Year

Offer requires Members to add on a real estate interest in Disney’s Riviera Resort equal to at least 150 Vacation Points. Savings is a credit off the purchase price and does not represent any portion of the minimum down payment required of at least 10%, depending on qualified financing. Offer to save $750 expires 1/28/2020. Offer cannot be combined with select offers or discounts and may be extended, modified, or withdrawn at any time without notice. Additional restrictions may apply.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter