ROAD TRIP ~~ Miami to the Keys

We are in Key West right now. We have done the drive from Miami 2-3 times, and now we fly in and out directly.

The Dry Tortugas trip is great. Just be aware that it has become very popular. As of now, the first availability for two people is June 16, two weeks from today. So you would need to book it in advance. I'm not sure how many nights you would plan to stay in KW, but the Dry Tortugas trip would take up one full day. You have to check in for the boat at 7 am and you arrive back at 5:15 pm. Breakfast and lunch are served on the ferry.

As for KW, there are so many places to explore other than Duval St. As soon as you are one block off of it, the atmosphere changes. There are lots of neighborhoods with some amazing restaurants. It's well worth getting off the beaten path. Since you will have a car, I would say just plan on parking it at your hotel or B & B, and either walk, rent bikes, or use the Duval Loop bus to get around. We did the Hemingway House tour for the third time a couple of days ago and had the best tour guide this time. He was so passionate about the subject of Hemingway, his relationship with KW, and the cats! You may also want to add to your list the Truman Little White House, the Butterfly Conservatory, the Lighthouse, Fort Zachary Taylor park (just visited it for the first time yesterday and it was beautiful), the US Coast Guard Cutter Ingham which is now a museum and you can tour the ship, go to the Sunset Celebration in Mallory Square which is held very evening. Duval St. is usually busy and yes in the evening you can encounter people who have over indulged, but we have never had a problem. We were out til after 11 pm each night and never felt unsafe. There are some very cool local art shops and book stores to explore.

We have been here 8 or 9 times and we still have things to do and restaurants we want to try that we have not been able to get to!

Thanks for checking in with advice. Will we need dinner reservations? We aren't wanting fancy meals. We were going for a more laid back relaxed trip but now that it's less than a week away, I'm worried that we didn't make any.

Hogfish Bar and Grill on Stock Island is not to be missed! Pepe's Cafe is the oldest restaurant in KW-great breakfasts! No reservations needed for either of these-enjoy!

Thanks for checking in with advice. Will we need dinner reservations? We aren't wanting fancy meals. We were going for a more laid back relaxed trip but now that it's less than a week away, I'm worried that we didn't make any.

The one place I can think of that if you were interested you might want to make a reservation now would be Latitudes. It is a restaurant on an island just off of Mallory Square. You need to take a boat shuttle to get there. Just thought of another popular place, Blue Heaven, but checking their website, I don't think they take reservations. We have been there twice and we just put our name on the list, and they call you when they are ready for you. I would say that most of the restaurants have a laid back feel - no need for formal dress. There are a few restaurants that one could consider more upscale, Latitudes being one of them. Check Tripadvisor for reviews of the restaurants, which will also give you an idea if it is something of interest to you.

We have Blue Heaven and Hogfish on our list. I’ll add Pepe’s. We decided against Latitudes since we don’t want to dress up much. I hope we don’t regret it because it is too late to book it. I doubt this will be a one and done trip for DH and I though.

Thank you!

Thank you for the great hotel tips. I'm expecting much of it to feel "touristy" in places, but that's okay. My husband so wants to see Hemingway House and eat at Sloppy Joes LOL

Do you think 7 days is enough to go round trip to Key West and still have time to see everything? Our Cuba cruise stops at Key West also, but we were thinking of trying to get to Tortuga by ferry.
Be sure to make reservations for the ferry. It sells out a lot. We took a sea plane instead of the ferry and although it was expensive, we arrived in 45 minutes and had beautiful views.

To all those who have responded so far -- I'm overwhelmed by the amount of data you have kindly taken the time to provide. You have all provided invaluable information and a great start to my planning.

I will definitely check out the restaurants and hotels recommended, and also will book that ferry early.

Wait until after the end of Sept to check for things. Hurricanes should be over for the most part by that time. Hope you are going late Oct, not early Oct.

Wait until after the end of Sept to check for things. Hurricanes should be over for the most part by that time. Hope you are going late Oct, not early Oct.

Yeah but late October is Fantasy Fest so.... Key West will be booked and in nonstop party mode. This year’s dates are Oct. 19-28. I love Fantasy Fest, but it’s NOT for everyone, especially if public nudity isn’t your thing lol!

Yeah but late October is Fantasy Fest so.... Key West will be booked and in nonstop party mode. This year’s dates are Oct. 19-28. I love Fantasy Fest, but it’s NOT for everyone, especially if public nudity isn’t your thing lol!

I was just thinking that Key West seems a bit more like an adult entertainment place. Not that families wouldn't enjoy it but it's def. a partyin' place after dark.:)

Our cruise sails 10/12 and returns 10/23. We were planning on going the week after that.

Yikes :scared1: -- are the dates always around that same time frame in October. I just don't want to be around crowds and that kind of atmosphere! :scared:

I was just thinking that Key West seems a bit more like an adult entertainment place. Not that families wouldn't enjoy it but it's def. a partyin' place after dark.:)

It's just the two of us -- no traveling with little ones anymore. ;) But we have been there, done that with party atmospheres and at our age just don't need that scene anymore.

Dh & I had plans to go to Key West until some friends of ours went last year. They said for the most part, if you're not 'beachy' people, or into the bars, you'd really be disappointed after taking such a long tedious drive.

Otherwise, it just to mainly say 'been there, done that'. Too many other beautiful beaches, water views, experiences much closer for us.

Also, was told to make sure you have reservations before you go down, as it's very crowded, and there's just so many accommodations, and no more!

Our cruise sails 10/12 and returns 10/23. We were planning on going the week after that.

Yikes :scared1: -- are the dates always around that same time frame in October. I just don't want to be around crowds and that kind of atmosphere! :scared:

Yes. It’s the week leading up to Halloween typically (around that time). It’s a week of parades, debauchary, flashing for beads, etc. like Mardi Gras basically. Hotels (at least the good ones) typically book up 6-9 months in advance!

I went to University of Miami and LOVE Key West - have been at least 25 times, if not more, over the last 20 years.

Dh & I had plans to go to Key West until some friends of ours went last year. They said for the most part, if you're not 'beachy' people, or into the bars, you'd really be disappointed after taking such a long tedious drive.

Otherwise, it just to mainly say 'been there, done that'. Too many other beautiful beaches, water views, experiences much closer for us.

Also, was told to make sure you have reservations before you go down, as it's very crowded, and there's just so many accommodations, and no more!
Key West is not a beach destination, and it's too bad your friends didn't venture off Duval Street because there is SO much more to Key West than bars. The history is fascinating, and the people and the beauty and the overall vibe keep us coming back.

I have only been to the keys twice, well 3 times. But twice during diving.

We went in 2017 and stayed in marathon. I’d stay there again! Plan was for all of us except my sister to snorkel, she was going to scuba but the waves were big so we only got one day on the gulf side to snorkel, not thrilling! But we did take the drive to Key west one afternoon. And in all honesty, the drive to a ration and the drive to key west were just beautiful! I mean you look one way and it’s bkue, you look the other way and it’s blue. The time flew by. Key west we spent maybe 1/2 in...parked, walked to the southern most spot, took a picture, walked to the crowded beach and left. We did love the seven mile bridge and I had hoped to go again this past April but that didn’t happen. I would f walked the whole thing but my oldest wore the wrong flip flops and her feet hurt and we had my mother so I didn’t want her walking that much.

We ate at Keys Fisheries in marathon...yum!

This past April we only made it to key largo...scuba/snorkel trip which actually happened! We ate at Mrs macs kitchen which was ok but the portions were huge. Last year we ate next door for lunch at keys bites and my daughter said it was the best pancake!

I can’t help much with key west since the first time we went over 20 years ago, we took a boat from Ft Myers and then just took the “tour” as we are not bar people and when we went last year like I said, 1/2 hour was our visit. I think we spent more time in CVS using the bathroom on our way out.

Key West is not a beach destination, and it's too bad your friends didn't venture off Duval Street because there is SO much more to Key West than bars. The history is fascinating, and the people and the beauty and the overall vibe keep us coming back.

I have to agree with Squirlz - we are not beach people or bar people or water sports people. But we have found new things to do every time we come here. We rent bikes and ride all over the island, we visit the historic sites (still haven't seen them all), we do walk Duval and check out the interesting shops, we eat at wonderful restaurants, we enjoy the flora and fauna that is so different from where we live (we like the roosters, lizards, iguanas, cats, etc), we speak with locals who have interesting stories of how they ended up here. And we go watch the beautiful sunsets every night. Most of all we just relax and take things at our own pace. Makes for a really nice vacation for us.

I have to agree with Squirlz - we are not beach people or bar people or water sports people. But we have found new things to do every time we come here. We rent bikes and ride all over the island, we visit the historic sites (still haven't seen them all), we do walk Duval and check out the interesting shops, we eat at wonderful restaurants, we enjoy the flora and fauna that is so different from where we live (we like the roosters, lizards, iguanas, cats, etc), we speak with locals who have interesting stories of how they ended up here. And we go watch the beautiful sunsets every night. Most of all we just relax and take things at our own pace. Makes for a really nice vacation for us.

We leave Tuesday and I can't wait. Your description sounds exactly like what we are looking for in a vacation this time around. Except, we are bar and live music people so we have our Bar Cards in hand and can't wait for a nightly pub crawl to include seeing the sunset.

We've rented a house in Old Town and are traveling with two other couples. We will hit some historic spots early in the day, lounge by the pool in the afternoon, and then search out seafood, music, and drinks in the evening.

We've made the drive several times as we have a home in Marathon and always fly into Fort Lauderdale and drive down. When you first go thru Key Largo, don't get discouraged. There are not many great views there. It does open up later in the trip, especially since Irma it seems like more can be seen where mangroves once stood - although I was last there in March so maybe they've grown back more, I'm not sure as we won't be back until next month after DS' baseball season here.
There are many great places to eat along the way - I don't think I've encountered a bad meal.
In Islamorada is a place called Robbie's marina. Here you can feed Tarpon fish. You pay a small amount to go on the docks and buy a bucket of bait fish that you can feed to these huge Tarpon that are there in great numbers. They hang out by the docs waiting to be fed. It is a cool experience!
If you like mini golf, there is one spot, the Boondocks on the way in Sugarloaf I believe and they also have great food and live bands that play there. The Turtle Hospital in Marathon is neat to go thru and see the sea turtles there. Marathon also has a newer Aquarium experience that is nice. As of March you still couldn't walk the old 7 mild bridge as it was undergoing renovations but I'm not sure when that will be finished.
Key West can be a lot of fun. We've done it many different ways. Being childless and enjoying the nightlife to experiencing it with the kids. With the kids we usually watch the sunset celebration and then head back to Marathon to keep them away from the craziness. We enjoy the Hemingway House, Butterfly House, Fort Zachary Taylor and Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas (everyone should do at least once - it was amazing!)
As with most people with the dolphin fish - I about freaked out the first time DH took me fishing and said we were going to catch and eat dolphin! My kids being raised going down there know the difference and think it's a funny story to tell everyone that I didn't know!

We leave Tuesday and I can't wait. Your description sounds exactly like what we are looking for in a vacation this time around. Except, we are bar and live music people so we have our Bar Cards in hand and can't wait for a nightly pub crawl to include seeing the sunset.

We've rented a house in Old Town and are traveling with two other couples. We will hit some historic spots early in the day, lounge by the pool in the afternoon, and then search out seafood, music, and drinks in the evening.

Great! We are here til Thursday. Weather has been really good. It was cooler because it was cloudier the first few days we were here, so no sunsets, but now it is getting sunnier and warmer. Nice sunset last night. We are in Truman Annex and love it here. Third time renting the same townhome.

So you are in good shape with the bar cards! And yes, there is so much good live music. We tried a few new (for us) restaurants this time - El Siboney, Mangia Mangia, Frita's, and Amigo's and enjoyed them all. Have a great time!

We have done it with teen kids who greatly enjoyed it. Stayed almost a week and had plenty to do including much at the beach, fishing, totuga, museums, shops, eating at various places etc. the kids loved ducal at sunset when jugglers, mime etc all come out. We left before later eve when it’s much more of an adult experience on Duval. Stayed at hotel ( can’t recall) but they included the shuttle to duval which worked for the group. A beach was across the street.
Also there as an adult only visit.. mostly eating, partying and shopping. Stayed a block or two offDuval, BW Hibiscus, who included free parking. Parking is not easy and it a walking, biking type place.
Had stopped at Key Largo.. if you have a fan of Bogart, the African Queen is there and one can take a ride on it, several options. Check their site ( easily googled) as it is often being worked on and though you can still likely see it at the dock, may not get the ride.
Enjoy the visit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter