Roller coasters! Let's discuss.

Farro

Argh.
So, this past weekend we went to Dollywood - just a GORGEOUS park - and rode the new fastest wooden coaster in the world, Lightning Rod. Holy bananas, that was insane. It was one of those fast launches right up the hill, the coaster actually rode sideways for a bit, sooooo fast, only 41 seconds, but the longest 41 seconds of my life. We loved it! :)
We also rode Mystery Mine (among others) and that was great too!

So my comparison to WDW - the park as I said is beautiful. The coasters were crazy! But WDW takes the cake with themes of rides. Just the story on Everest (the music up the first climb, etc.) make the ride overall more enjoyable for me than the coasters at Dollywood.

I haven't been on Rockin Roller Coaster in many years - it loops correct? Is it a smooth ride? One of the coasters at Dollywood jerked us around like crazy.

Oh, and I'm officially old. I actually had to go and take a nap after riding Lightning Rod! :D

If you like coasters, you should plan to visit Cedar Point in Sandusky Ohio. Best collection of them in the world. The stories and theming aren't much, but the rides are amazing.

If you like coasters, you should plan to visit Cedar Point in Sandusky Ohio. Best collection of them in the world. The stories and theming aren't much, but the rides are amazing.

That's what I was going to say. It is my daughter's utopia!
I do want to add one rock n rollercoaster the back seat can rattle your head a lot. First time my dtr rode it they put her in back and she had a headache from it banging her head back and forth. She waits for front-ish seats now. We both love the theming at DW but the adventure at CP

I don't like wooden roller coasters for that simple reason that they're so jerky and bumpy. They'll actually give me a headache, and I don't get them otherwise in my normal life.

RnR is a very smooth coaster. I don't agree with previous post that the back seat will rattle your head. I haven't found it any less smooth in front or back. The back of roller coasters that climb hills then drop over the crest can have a jerky backseat because the rear of the train is "whipped" over the top of the hill once the weight of the coaster shifts to the front. RnR is propelled with a launch, so you never get that whipping. It loops once and corkscrews twice.

BTMRR is jerky because it has a ton of tiny up and down hills and side to side twists, but it still isn't "rattle" like wooden ones are.

7DMT is really a gentle coaster. Two sections of moderate speed, with a very slow tour in the middle.

EE is also quite smooth, though the backwards part feels bumpy (even though it actually isn't).

All things considered, RnR is one of my favorite coasters anywhere.

The new Mako coaster at Sea World is the best new coaster in Florida,no loops but 200 feet tall with just an insane amount of drops and airtime,the only reason I don't have it as my favorite Florida coaster is cause that honor will always go to Montu at Busch Gardens,its like 20 years old but still the best.At Sea World Kraken was right up there in my favorites and they're now adding Virtual Reality headgear that will be built right into the seat,it will be your choice if you want to wear it or not.I know some Six Flags parks have been doing those and I can't wait to try it out on Kraken,riding a coaster where you're experiencing a virtual world as you hit drops and loops sounds really out there.

I ride RnR once each trip, but I find all corkscrew coasters cause my head to hit the sides and give me a headache. (Jerky doesn't bother me, I love Space Mtn and ride it several times each trip) Hulk is now slightly better than it used to be for this, and Dragon Challenge I don't have as much problem with for some reason. Someone mentioned music on Everest, which I don't recall from the many times I have ridden it. We rode Mako and loved the air time, rode Manta for the first time and it was fun, but I kept feeling like I was going to fall out because of the unique seat position. Skipped Kraken because we had enough corkscrew rides from Universal.

I enjoy Busch Gardens in Virginia. Verbolton has quite a surprise in store for you.

I find RnR to be a smooth ride overall, but there is some side-to-side action that might cause some people to rattle their heads against the shoulder restraints.

Newest coaster I've ridden is Mako at Sea World last week.

I'm glad to hear the new Dollywood coaster is running. We cancelled going there this past spring because the opening was delayed. Maybe next year.

There is a wooden coaster called Boulder Dash at Lake Compounce in Bristol CT. It is a long wooden coaster that runs through the woods so you have the thrill of the coaster mixed with the trees rushing by you as you go. Their site says it was voted the worlds #1 wooden coaster.

I love coasters, but I never made it to Cedar Point while I lived in the northeast. I'll get there one day. I did used to love Hershey Park's coasters, and of course Six Flags Great Adventure (where I worked for a couple of summers a long time ago).

My top collection of coasters in Florida is at Busch Gardens - I went for the first time last month and it was totally worth the drive. Montu and Kumba were my favorites but Cheetah Hunt was lots of fun too. I was also more impressed with the park in general than I expected to be, the animal exhibits were great fun. But the coasters were definitely the prime draw.

Manta is my favorite coaster at SeaWorld; I love the positive Gs on the "pretzel loop." I can't wait for the VR system on Kraken, although I feel like it's going to make a lot of folks sick. I have yet to ride Mako, and I probably never will, because I couldn't fit on coasters with similar restraint systems (like Nitro at Six Flags Great Adventure or Apollo's Chariot at Busch Gardens Williamsburg) even when I weighed 100lbs less than I do now, and that was basically the best shape I've been in my whole adult life. Oh well, it is what it is.

At Universal, I could ride Hulk all day, especially now that it's not as rough as it used to be. I can never remember which side of Dragon Challenge I like better, so I always ride them both at least once. The Mummy is just a great overall ride experience, even though it's not the most thrilling coaster ever built by a long shot. RRR is never a priority for me - I hate the restraint system, I hate the lift hill (it doesn't scare me, I just don't ever want to be stuck on it), and the experience isn't worth the wait IMO. I know some folks love it though.

Everest is my favorite Disney coaster because of the overall experience - although I won't ever say no to a ride on RnRC. As coasters go, I find them both pretty smooth, although you do definitely need to push your head back on RnRC so it doesn't get battered around too much on the corkscrew. I'm also one of those losers who pretends to be sleeping in every ride photo. :)

Newest coaster I've ridden is Mako at Sea World last week.

I'm glad to hear the new Dollywood coaster is running. We cancelled going there this past spring because the opening was delayed. Maybe next year.

Go. Go. Go. So awesome. Short, but intense.
We also stayed at the DreamMore - very nice! :) Really, Dollywood should be on people's list to visit, it's really beautiful, woodsy, in the Smokies...wonderful.

At Universal, I could ride Hulk all day, especially now that it's not as rough as it used to be. I can never remember which side of Dragon Challenge I like better, so I always ride them both at least once. The Mummy is just a great overall ride experience, even though it's not the most thrilling coaster ever built by a long shot. RRR is never a priority for me - I hate the restraint system, I hate the lift hill (it doesn't scare me, I just don't ever want to be stuck on it), and the experience isn't worth the wait IMO. I know some folks love it though.

Everest is my favorite Disney coaster because of the overall experience - although I won't ever say no to a ride on RnRC. As coasters go, I find them both pretty smooth, although you do definitely need to push your head back on RnRC so it doesn't get battered around too much on the corkscrew. I'm also one of those losers who pretends to be sleeping in every ride photo. :)

And we hated the old Hulk - got so banged up we never had the least bit of interest to go back on it - even with multiple visits (had an annual pass) AND express passes. Would give it a go on a future visit now that it's been redone. Now RRR was a different story - went on that at least 5-6 times (or more) every trip. The combo of music and thrills is THE BEST!

I agree that both RnRC and Everest are smooth coasters :)

Cedars Point is worth the trip. However it has a few older coasters the are very bumpy (including steel ones). The newer Maverick coaster is very smooth well worth the wait.

RnR was far, far smoother the first time I rode than I expected, after reading a lot of comments from folks who thought it had a head-banging quality. I expected the outright, existential, why-am-I-riding-this pain of DLP's Space Mountain. In the end, though, I actually thought it was a little bit too tame! IMO Everest is more intense, and yet much more repeatable (though I love them both.)

RnR was far, far smoother the first time I rode than I expected, after reading a lot of comments from folks who thought it had a head-banging quality.

When you launch, there is the visual on when you lean your head back. makes all the difference on that ride.. if your head is a little forward than you'll feel it and get bounced around pretty good in the restraint.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter