Rookie gardener needs lots of help!!

rbuzzotta

<font color=FF00CC>OKW until 2042<br><font color=t
I have never taken to planting flowers but would love to. I would like to plant some colorful flowers along my walkway and I also would like to plants some flowers in containers to put on the side of my driveway.

Problem being...........I haven't got a clue!!! My DH laughs because I do not have a green thumb and kill all the household plants (I now have 2 fake trees in my house!).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

rbuzzotta if I were you I would begin with annuals they are easy to grow and will bloom till the frost kills them.

Soil preparation is a must. Turn the soil over removing all weeds and grasses. Lighten the soil up with peat moss, add lime to the soil annuals love lime and a slow-release fertilizer.

There are many different varieties of annuals. Most need sun. A few can be planted in shady areas. Impatiens is one that grows in the shade.

Visit a garden center and check out the annuals there are so many.

Annuals that look good in a row are marigolds, salvia, petunias, snapdragons, pansies and the list goes on and on.

You can purchase pots that already are planted some with all the same flowers, some with mixed flowers.

The key to gardening is caring for the plants once they are planted. Watering, weeding.

Mamu has given you excellent ideas and advice. I would add one more thought to that. Keep your efforts small at first. Often in enthusiasm, beginner gardeners plow the back forty and put in a very large garden... only to be overwhelmed by the amount of care required. Start small... figure out what works for you and enjoy the success a small garden plot can give you... then grow it in size as you learn more. Happy gardening. :)

Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how it goes or should I say grows!!

We cleaned up the yard yesterday and today and I'm getting ready!!!!

Rosemary, you can always take a run over here and I can tell you what works in our town.. LOL

Thanks Marsha, I will take you up on that offer!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter