Room Checks

Yes. We were at POR for 14 days and had a 'room check' about every other day. When I asked about it the person who checked the room (same guy every time) told us that it started when the person in Vegas stockpiled weapons in his room and had the 'do not disturb' sing on his door for a number of days and no one came in and checked. When the guy came into our room he went to the bathroom, flushed the toilet, flicked the bathroom and dressing area lights and then left. He also had a good look around. We got used to it and would chat with him when he came in. My feeling about this is; I don't really like the 'intrusion' but understand that it is part of the Disney security protocol and do like this added security. I do feel 'safe' at the resort knowing that there is additional security here. As a woman, I travel alone a lot and am glad for any extra security.
We stayed at Pop and we had a different CM everyday and always a young lady, several still wore the 'Earning My Ears' tag, not once did any of them actually enter our room. I'm not convinced about the Las Vegas reason, if it were the case then all hotels would be doing it and Disney are the only one who are. Despite what Disney are claiming I still think it is an excuse to not have to do daily mousekeeping. Whatever it is Disney themsleves need to issue a statement as to why they do room checks, it should be on the website in plain language and guests should be given a three hour time slot to choose when the check takes place so they can guarantee not to be disturbed uneccesarily.

We stayed at Pop and we had a different CM everyday and always a young lady, several still wore the 'Earning My Ears' tag, not once did any of them actually enter our room. I'm not convinced about the Las Vegas reason, if it were the case then all hotels would be doing it and Disney are the only one who are. Despite what Disney are claiming I still think it is an excuse to not have to do daily mousekeeping. Whatever it is Disney themsleves need to issue a statement as to why they do room checks, it should be on the website in plain language and guests should be given a three hour time slot to choose when the check takes place so they can guarantee not to be disturbed uneccesarily.
This is not anything new. It's been happening for about 5 years (definitely happened on our trip in 2018. It never happened to us while we were in our room but I heard and saw it happening to other rooms on our hallway). Disney has disclosed why they do it -- it's on your reservation confirmation from them (and pretty much any hotel I've stayed at that I bothered to read the T&C). It's been on Disney resort confirmations since at least 2017 (my earliest one with the information). It's also on the Disney webpage under Resort Reservations. If you google "Disney announces room security checks" you'll find announcements from when this originated back in 2017. It also used to be on the in-room welcome packet (not sure if it still is) but most people don't bother to read their hotel confirmation fine print.

I don't disagree that guests should be able to "schedule" their room security checks. I've seen people post that they've called housekeeping when leaving their rooms for the day and requesting that that the room check be done within X hours. That seems to work. I've also seen people say they put a note on their room door indicating they're napping and please return to do any room check after a certain time.

From the Terms & Conditions of all of my confirmations since 2017 (bolding is mine):
  • Please be advised that at Disney owned and operated hotels, notwithstanding your use of a sign on your door, a request by you to forgo housekeeping services or any other request made by you, the hotel and its staff reserve the right to enter your room for any purpose including, but not limited to, performing maintenance and repairs or checking on the safety and security of guests and property. The hotel staff will give reasonable notice prior to entry by knocking and announcing the intent to enter the room.

From the website reservation page:

• We reserve the right to enter any room at a Disney Resort hotel for maintenance, safety, security or any other purpose, even if the Room Occupied sign is displayed on the room door. View Walt Disney World Resort Property Rules.

This is not anything new. It's been happening for about 5 years (definitely happened on our trip in 2018. It never happened to us while we were in our room but I heard and saw it happening to other rooms on our hallway). Disney has disclosed why they do it -- it's on your reservation confirmation from them (and pretty much any hotel I've stayed at that I bothered to read the T&C). It's been on Disney resort confirmations since at least 2017 (my earliest one with the information). It's also on the Disney webpage under Resort Reservations. If you google "Disney announces room security checks" you'll find announcements from when this originated back in 2017. It also used to be on the in-room welcome packet (not sure if it still is) but most people don't bother to read their hotel confirmation fine print.

I don't disagree that guests should be able to "schedule" their room security checks. I've seen people post that they've called housekeeping when leaving their rooms for the day and requesting that that the room check be done within X hours. That seems to work. I've also seen people say they put a note on their room door indicating they're napping and please return to do any room check after a certain time.

From the Terms & Conditions of all of my confirmations since 2017 (bolding is mine):
  • Please be advised that at Disney owned and operated hotels, notwithstanding your use of a sign on your door, a request by you to forgo housekeeping services or any other request made by you, the hotel and its staff reserve the right to enter your room for any purpose including, but not limited to, performing maintenance and repairs or checking on the safety and security of guests and property. The hotel staff will give reasonable notice prior to entry by knocking and announcing the intent to enter the room.

From the website reservation page:

• We reserve the right to enter any room at a Disney Resort hotel for maintenance, safety, security or any other purpose, even if the Room Occupied sign is displayed on the room door. View Walt Disney World Resort Property Rules.
I don't see where the Disney info says why Disney does this. It says why they might do it, but not why they do do it. It also fails to mention this fact: that on any day when housekeeping doesn't service your room, you will get a room check. Not might--will.

If they are concerned for my safety, then knocking on the door and seeing that I'm there and fine should suffice. They shouldn't need to come into the room to make sure I'm safe. All of the room checks I've experienced have been when I was trying to take an afternoon nap and the person has always come into the room, into the bathroom, and one person even opened some drawers. Super annoying.

BTW, I've read that these room checks may have something to do with looking for signs of human trafficking. I have zero evidence that this is true, but if it is, why on earth would they be checking the room of a multiple-time repeat guest? Is Disney the preferred resort choice of human traffickers?

Disney knows where I am and what I'm doing 24/7 when I'm there. That seems more than sufficient intrusion to me.

I don't see where the Disney info says why Disney does this. It says why they might do it, but not why they do do it. It also fails to mention this fact: that on any day when housekeeping doesn't service your room, you will get a room check. Not might--will.

If they are concerned for my safety, then knocking on the door and seeing that I'm there and fine should suffice. They shouldn't need to come into the room to make sure I'm safe. All of the room checks I've experienced have been when I was trying to take an afternoon nap and the person has always come into the room, into the bathroom, and one person even opened some drawers. Super annoying.

BTW, I've read that these room checks may have something to do with looking for signs of human trafficking. I have zero evidence that this is true, but if it is, why on earth would they be checking the room of a multiple-time repeat guest? Is Disney the preferred resort choice of human traffickers?

Disney knows where I am and what I'm doing 24/7 when I'm there. That seems more than sufficient intrusion to me.

If you do a few searches you'll find where lawyers have stated that Disney doesn't need to tell their guests exactly why they're doing these room checks. Disney's statement about having the right to enter the room at any time -- occupied or not -- to check the safety and well-being of guests and property is all they need to say. As with any "rules", if people don't like them they can choose to stay elsewhere. But they should be sure to read the fine print on the reservations at other hotels as well.

And as far as Disney knowing where you are 24/7 while on their property -- that doesn't tell them if there are weapons or a meth lab in your resort room. Again, if people don't like being tracked by Disney while on property, they can choose not to go there. But they should also probably get rid of their cell phones so they don't get tracked anywhere else.

If you do a few searches you'll find where lawyers have stated that Disney doesn't need to tell their guests exactly why they're doing these room checks. Disney's statement about having the right to enter the room at any time -- occupied or not -- to check the safety and well-being of guests and property is all they need to say. As with any "rules", if people don't like them they can choose to stay elsewhere. But they should be sure to read the fine print on the reservations at other hotels as well.

And as far as Disney knowing where you are 24/7 while on their property -- that doesn't tell them if there are weapons or a meth lab in your resort room. Again, if people don't like being tracked by Disney while on property, they can choose not to go there. But they should also probably get rid of their cell phones so they don't get tracked anywhere else.
I don't think this is anything to do with being 'tracked'. This is about disturbing guests who come back to the room to relax after a busy morning in the parks. We have no real issue with the room checks as we've nothing to hide, but, trying to have an afternoon nap or just getting comfortable to watch some TV or read a book and have someone knock on the door for a 'room check' is a real problem, and for families with small children that must be awful. I saw someone else, elsewhere, suggest all room checks done in the morning, when most guests are either at the parks or are up and about getting ready to go to the parks or elsewhere. Why do it during the times when people are most likely trying to relax before heading out for the evening? Even better, bring back full housekeeping.

Some say it's because of the Las Vegas mass shooting, but, if a person has firearms with them then the odds are that they drove to Disney and could be stashed in their vehicle as carrying a huge amount of weaponry on a plane is not going to happen. So perhaps Disney could require vehicle checks where CMs can check for firearms, but, the logistics of doing that are impossible unless Disney insists on checking vehicles as soon as they arrive, because, let's be honest, if a person has weaponry on them, either in the room or in a vehicle, you actually only need to check once on the first day. As for human trafficking etc, no one is going to pay Disney resort prices to traffick humans, drugs etc when there are plenty of cheap motels a plenty in Orlando and Kissimmee.
Again, restoring full housekeeping that should be standard for a resort charging so much for a room, would solve everything else.

I don't think this is anything to do with being 'tracked'. This is about disturbing guests who come back to the room to relax after a busy morning in the parks. We have no real issue with the room checks as we've nothing to hide, but, trying to have an afternoon nap or just getting comfortable to watch some TV or read a book and have someone knock on the door for a 'room check' is a real problem, and for families with small children that must be awful. I saw someone else, elsewhere, suggest all room checks done in the morning, when most guests are either at the parks or are up and about getting ready to go to the parks or elsewhere. Why do it during the times when people are most likely trying to relax before heading out for the evening? Even better, bring back full housekeeping.
I don't think it has anything to do with being tracked either. I was just responding to a comment.

They were doing these checks even when they had full housekeeping. People could decline housekeeping but even people who didn't decline housekeeping still sometimes got the security checks. I know I heard one family complaining loudly when the security check person knocked on their door. They made it clear that they had daily housekeeping so that meant they wouldn't get security checks. The guy at the door stated that having housecleaning daily did *not* exempt a room from a random security check. They've been trying to hire housekeepers for since they reopened the resorts but even with increasing the starting salary to $17/hour and offering a $1,000 sign-on bonus, they are far from filling all the positions. It's a problem across the hotel industry in general. Not enough people who want to do that kind of work anymore.

Disney really does need to do the room checks at a different time of day or allow families to indicate either a time they won't be in the room or a time they will be in the room but not napping (whichever Disney prefers). Our kids are grown but *I* like to take a nap!!! :D I wouldn't have been happy about the daily nap disturbance when the kids were younger.

I know they’re phasing out the Covid protection measures, whether wise or not, but I’d really like to hear their explanation as to how a stranger entering the room and touching surfaces like the lights, faucet handle, and/or toilet lever and not wiping anything down after is “safe.” If they’re going to insist on intrusive security theater, it should be “look but don’t touch”

I know they’re phasing out the Covid protection measures, whether wise or not, but I’d really like to hear their explanation as to how a stranger entering the room and touching surfaces like the lights, faucet handle, and/or toilet lever and not wiping anything down after is “safe.” If they’re going to insist on intrusive security theater, it should be “look but don’t touch”
Our room on our last visit a couple of months ago was not particularly clean when we checked in, not bad enough to complain, but, bad enough to be cynical about the level of cleanliness while the Covid bug is still lurking and we had ordered Lysol wipes in out Instacart order, so we wiped everything down ourselves and basically gave the room a cleap up every couple of days because housekeeping certainly didn't dust or vacuum at all the entire time we were there.

I don't think it has anything to do with being tracked either. I was just responding to a comment.

They were doing these checks even when they had full housekeeping. People could decline housekeeping but even people who didn't decline housekeeping still sometimes got the security checks. I know I heard one family complaining loudly when the security check person knocked on their door. They made it clear that they had daily housekeeping so that meant they wouldn't get security checks. The guy at the door stated that having housecleaning daily did *not* exempt a room from a random security check. They've been trying to hire housekeepers for since they reopened the resorts but even with increasing the starting salary to $17/hour and offering a $1,000 sign-on bonus, they are far from filling all the positions. It's a problem across the hotel industry in general. Not enough people who want to do that kind of work anymore.

Disney really does need to do the room checks at a different time of day or allow families to indicate either a time they won't be in the room or a time they will be in the room but not napping (whichever Disney prefers). Our kids are grown but *I* like to take a nap!!! :D I wouldn't have been happy about the daily nap disturbance when the kids were younger.
We've never had a random security check in all our years of staying at a Disney resort, we either had housekeeping or the general room check. Personally I would not open the door to someone claiming having housekeeping does not exempt you from a security check, that is highly dangerous and we would call front desk immediately to report him and still refuse him entry. This is the kind of tactic someone would use to enter a room to rob people and Disney would be leaving themselves open to a huge lawsuit if this ever happened because of that clause in their rules.

We've never had a random security check in all our years of staying at a Disney resort, we either had housekeeping or the general room check. Personally I would not open the door to someone claiming having housekeeping does not exempt you from a security check, that is highly dangerous and we would call front desk immediately to report him and still refuse him entry. This is the kind of tactic someone would use to enter a room to rob people and Disney would be leaving themselves open to a huge lawsuit if this ever happened because of that clause in their rules.

I'm not following....what's the difference between the security check and general room check? I don't know of two different kinds of room checks. Maybe it's just some people call it a "security" check and some call it a "general room" check. They're both the same thing. It's not surprising that you haven't been aware of your room being checked at Disney as it's only been happening for the last 5 years and often happens when people aren't in their rooms. Also, calling the front desk from your room is getting you an operator at a call center that's not even on property. The person who answers the phone might not have ever even been at the resort you're staying at. They certainly aren't going to have any clue as to what's happening in any specific building at any given time. They're just going to read you the script for the issue you're calling about. Good luck refusing the room check staff entry to your room. They have every right to enter your room on *their* property. Remember, it's in the terms and conditions that you agree to when you book the room. They can enter your room at any time for no specific reason. If you try to refuse entry, you're going to look like you have something to hide and it's going to cause more trouble. All you have to do is open the door, let them do their 2 second look around the room and close the door when they leave. How is having a security check "highly dangerous"???? The staff I saw doing them had their Disney name tags on as well as an additional Disney ID card. They aren't carrying weapons and breaking down doors. They're carrying a clipboard and pen and a pass key for the rooms where guests are out at the time they're doing the check. People have housekeeping coming in their room all the time and don't consider that to be "highly dangerous". The security check people aren't rifling through your drawers and suitcases. They're looking for obvious things that are out in the open. And if you're in the room when they get there, how are they going to steal anything while you're sitting there watching them??? If you're so concerned about security entering your room, bring along some security cameras and set them up in your room so you have proof of whatever dangerous things you seem to be sure they're going to do in your room.

Our room on our last visit a couple of months ago was not particularly clean when we checked in, not bad enough to complain, but, bad enough to be cynical about the level of cleanliness while the Covid bug is still lurking and we had ordered Lysol wipes in out Instacart order, so we wiped everything down ourselves and basically gave the room a cleap up every couple of days because housekeeping certainly didn't dust or vacuum at all the entire time we were there.

Yeah I too bring things and wipe them down. We were there at Christmas and, when I opened the door to the room, we were met with the overpowering smell of industrial cleaner. It was so bad we propped the door open and sat outside for 30 minutes, yet nothing appeared dusted and we only had 1 set of towels. I didn't complain other than calling to ask for more towels, but I was really disappointed. During the stay, I decline housekeeping (and usually we can't get it because we bring the dogs with us) so I hadn't ever thought that a stranger would be coming in and touching things. When they have asked about a "room check" I tell them to come while I'm walking the dogs and I always thought they just went in and looked around, not that they touched anything.

Currently here at Pop Century, it’s our last day and it’s SO hot (my weather app says the “real feel” is 112 degrees!) So, we are in the room trying to relax, stay cool, and nap. We are aware of the room checks, and the other day when we were napping they came in, apologized, and walked through the room into the bathroom (flushed the toilet?!?), then left. Cool, that’s no problem, we expected that (well maybe not the toilet flushing part.) Well today someone knocks until my husband gets up to answer the door. We didn’t have the latch on, but they just kept knocking instead of coming in, so he got up. Once he answered the door, the lady said she was here to do a room check. He told her ok that’s fine, go ahead. She then says “ok, can you step out of the room for a minute?” So here I am, laying in bed in my pjs with a pillow over my head, being asked to get up and exit the room. What?? After a few minutes of me stuttering “what, what’s going on” (seriously, I was confused and disoriented) she finally says she can come back later. Has anyone else ever been asked to get up out of bed and leave the room for a room check?? So weird.
Yes last December I was at All Star Movies and resting in the room around 4 pm because I wasn’t feeling well and woman from housekeeping came knocking on door and told (didn’t ask) me to step out of the room and was in my room with door closed for a good 5 min! She was quite rude when I finally opened the door and just stepped back in and she pushed past me and went out. I went to front desk and reported the incident and was told I should not have been told to step out of room at all and they would investigate and get back to me. i Got a call later from housekeeping basically denying it happened and I went back to front desk and ended up being given a small credit on bill which isn’t why I reported the incident....

I'm not following....what's the difference between the security check and general room check? I don't know of two different kinds of room checks. Maybe it's just some people call it a "security" check and some call it a "general room" check. They're both the same thing. It's not surprising that you haven't been aware of your room being checked at Disney as it's only been happening for the last 5 years and often happens when people aren't in their rooms. Also, calling the front desk from your room is getting you an operator at a call center that's not even on property. The person who answers the phone might not have ever even been at the resort you're staying at. They certainly aren't going to have any clue as to what's happening in any specific building at any given time. They're just going to read you the script for the issue you're calling about. Good luck refusing the room check staff entry to your room. They have every right to enter your room on *their* property. Remember, it's in the terms and conditions that you agree to when you book the room. They can enter your room at any time for no specific reason. If you try to refuse entry, you're going to look like you have something to hide and it's going to cause more trouble. All you have to do is open the door, let them do their 2 second look around the room and close the door when they leave. How is having a security check "highly dangerous"???? The staff I saw doing them had their Disney name tags on as well as an additional Disney ID card. They aren't carrying weapons and breaking down doors. They're carrying a clipboard and pen and a pass key for the rooms where guests are out at the time they're doing the check. People have housekeeping coming in their room all the time and don't consider that to be "highly dangerous". The security check people aren't rifling through your drawers and suitcases. They're looking for obvious things that are out in the open. And if you're in the room when they get there, how are they going to steal anything while you're sitting there watching them??? If you're so concerned about security entering your room, bring along some security cameras and set them up in your room so you have proof of whatever dangerous things you seem to be sure they're going to do in your room.
If Disney are exercising caution and security with their daily room checks then guests should be allowed to do the same if they are uneasy about someone knocking on the door claiming a security check on top of housekeeping or daily room check.

If Disney are exercising caution and security with their daily room checks then guests should be allowed to do the same if they are uneasy about someone knocking on the door claiming a security check on top of housekeeping or daily room check.
I'm sure if you were uneasy about letting the person who requests to do the security/room check in, you could call the front desk and they would send a manager to accompany the person. It's not like it's some random person dressed in casual clothing asking to enter your room, they are all in costume and have a nametag and ID (which they will present upon asking if not visible). And again, if you are uncomfortable letting them in you can call to ask that a manager or coordinator be present.

I didn't know this was a thing. I don't mind room checks, we have nothing to hide-I just really hope it isn't when we are there mid-day for DH to nap. My DDs and I might not even be in the room when he naps, we may go down to the pool or to explore the resort...he is a heavy sleeper and probably wouldn't be pleased to wake up to someone pounding on the door or coming in to check the room!

Room checks having been going on for quite sometime and you can find a lot of older threads on this topic. Experienced travelers know to always latch the door from the inside so no one is able to unexpectedly walk into your room unannounced. Room checks might take place while you are at the park for the day, so I am not clear how anyone would know someone was there when they were gone. You are staying on private property when at Disney, so they have the right to handle security in a way they deem appropriate. Last time we were at Disney, housekeeping always made up the room while we were at the park and I have no idea if anyone else was in our room to do their security check while we were gone. No one ever came to the door while we were in the room.

Exactly what they are looking for Disney won't say but that makes sense to me since if you were doing something inappropriate/illegal, knowing their security procedures could be of assistance in getting away with whatever you are doing.

She then says “ok, can you step out of the room for a minute?”
1. Some hotels still do room inspections.
. . . most hotels do these after guests leave for the day
. . . some resorts require 100% inspection
. . . inspections are best done without guests present
2. Supervisors verify the Mousekeeper cleaned the room
3. Absence of guests is safety, not just convenience.
4. Stops guests or employees from making false claims
. . . that an employee accosted a guest
. . . that a guest accosted an employee
. . . that an employee was rude to a guest
. . . that a guest was rude to an employee
. . . that an employee "rummaged" through possessions

NOTE:
. . . easy to see possible ramifications
. . . basically, "lifetime employment for lawyers"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter