Room temperature cheesecake ???

DLgal

DIS Veteran
I love NY style cheesecake. I have a hard time finding it in CA, though. As a splurge to myself for Valentine's day, I mail ordered some mini cheesecakes from Junior's Cheesecake in Brooklyn, NY. They are lauded as the best cheesecake in America, by several publications and I have never tried it, so decided why not?

When the cheesecakes arrived, they were accompanied by a leaflet that talked about the history of the restaurant and the process of making the cheesecakes (the batter is all mixed by hand...WOW!).

Then came this: "Our cheesecakes are best served at room temperature."

HOLD UP.

WHAT?????????

No. Just no. Cheesecake needs to be COLD. As cold as possible. Even somewhat room temperature cheesecake makes me want to gag.

I am in my 40s. I have been eating cheesecake my whole adult life. I have never, EVER been served a "room temperature" slice of cheesecake, and would probably riot if I was.

So, how is it that the "best" cheesecake in the country is recommending that you serve their cakes at room temperature? Do people actually do this?

Please discuss.

P.S. The cheesecake is, indeed, the best I've ever tried. Definitely not just hype. It is the perfect combination of dense but creamy and the perfect balance of sweet and tart.

It's best at room temp (flavor wise). Cheesecake isn't ice cream. Have had Junior's many times...AT Junior's in Brooklyn. But you do you!

Ew. I guess I won't ever actually go to Juniors then. LOL.

I don't even like when cake with frosting is room temperature. I like buttercream, in particular, to be cold! I have a thing with creamy textures that aren't cold, I guess.

I don't understand the ice cream comment, though. I'm not saying I think cheesecake should be served frozen.

We like it chilled--not right out of the refrigerator, but not yet standard room temperature. We recently brought a homemade one to a neighborhood dinner party. I got it from the fridge after dinner had started, but before the desserts were served--maybe 15 minutes in advance?

Yes to serving (not storing) room temperature and quadruple yes to Junior's cheesecake as opposed to say...Lindy's (yuck; just a pale imitation). Don't go in for the razzledazzle of the fruit topped varieties since they use too much gelatin
When the patriarch of the family died the recipe for making the cheesecake was included in his obituary:

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/10/11/...estaurant-founder.html?searchResultPosition=1
@Mika02 - sorry I don't get the wonder of the Cheesecake Factory. For me, it's Junior's Jewish style or just have something else for dessert...like maybe a chocolate egg cream, LOL.

I prefer my cheesecake to be cold. I make one every year with SO many bricks of cream cheese in it that it's very thick and heavy. I do let it stand for about 30 minutes prior to serving (although I'll eat it straight out of the fridge also). I wouldn't want it to be bordering on room temp either. Yuck.

I didn't realize that I've had Junior's cheesecakes before but my local Wegman's sells them and I had bought two for Christmas last year when I didn't make my own. I thought they were just okay.

I prefer room temp or at least out of the fridge for a while so it has time to soften up/warm up rather than being ice cold.

TBH really cold cheesecake becomes bland in taste for me personally. It's like extremely cold ice cream too. There's not enough time for it to hit my taste buds because the temperature makes it so it's hard to stay in my mouth long enough.

I'm from Brooklyn living in NJ love Juniors, also love Cheesecake factory cheesecake. I abhor cold Cheesecake I only eat it room temperature. Most of the people I know do the only thing that's cold is usually the berries that accompany it lol

Interesting. I spent 10 years growing up in NJ and was never served room temp cheesecake.

Yes to serving (not storing) room temperature and quadruple yes to Junior's cheesecake as opposed to say...Lindy's (yuck; just a pale imitation). Don't go in for the razzledazzle of the fruit topped varieties since they use too much gelatin
When the patriarch of the family died the recipe for making the cheesecake was included in his obituary:

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/10/11/...estaurant-founder.html?searchResultPosition=1
Cheesecake factory's Red velvet and Pineapple Cheesecake are to die for!

@Mika02 - sorry I don't get the wonder of the Cheesecake Factory. For me, it's Junior's Jewish style or just have something else for dessert...like maybe a chocolate egg cream, LOL.
Interesting. I spent 10 years growing up in NJ and was never served room temp cheesecake.
I was taught that in Brooklyn just brought it with me to Jersey lol no one I know eats any cheesecake but Juniors or homemade. I never go to a restaurant and order cheesecake other than Cheesecake factory and even then usually I take mine to go and sit it out a bit before eating.

Last edited:
I think I heard Alton Brown talk about something like this on Good Eats. You taste flavor compounds better at room temperature. I do Japanese style cheesecake because I'm not really texture-wise great with dense foods, but I take it out of the fridge a half hour before we cut it up.

Ew. I guess I won't ever actually go to Juniors then. LOL.

I don't even like when cake with frosting is room temperature. I like buttercream, in particular, to be cold! I have a thing with creamy textures that aren't cold, I guess.

I don't understand the ice cream comment, though. I'm not saying I think cheesecake should be served frozen.
I prefer all cakes to be cold as well. I like eating cake straight from the fridge.

My DH had a cheesecake at the Palm last week that was flown in from NY, I remember it was delicious, but don't remember the temperature. I don't think it was straight from the fridge cold.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter