Rope Drop Strategy for Disneyland and Disney California Adventure with Lightning Lanes and Individual Lightning Lanes

Just thought I would let people know we rope dropped ROTR this morning no problems (unless you include my almost heart attack from trying to get to the other side of the park quickly). We were first in line at our gate then right at the front of rope drop at Frontier Land. We wisely asked another family next to us if they were going to ROTR which they were, they told us to follow them. We did, around the lake, passed that bear restaurant, over bridge, past critter country & made it into the first group on the ride. It was manic, exhausting & I clearly need to work on my aerobic fitness, but worth it!

We also purchased a separate ILL for the 3 of us just in case. We probably didn’t need to but I wasn’t disappointed riding it again.

One ‘gotcha’ was that it was our first day in the park, so at the gate when she issued us our paper tickets, I tried on the app to book ILL & it said tickets were not linked. Luckily she had scanned us before the turnstiles opened, I asked her & she did it for us at lightning speed (get it??) on my phone with the QR codes on the paper tickets. There’s no way I could have done that racing to rope drop. I guess I could have done it whilst at the rope waiting but I have no idea how long it takes for ILLs for ROTR to sell out. So thanks to that champion cast member.

Hi all. With this from the original post:

Lightning Lane - REFRESH TRICK
This works on Android and iPhone (iOS)

- Select the circle + at the bottom navigation bar
- Select View Genie Day and Tip Board
- Select Tip Board at the Top of the Screen
- Select Edit Selections to the LL or ILL Attraction you want most. For example, I select the ILL (say Rise) and the top 2 LL attractions I want to experience. This way those LL and ILL selections are at the top of the Tip Board screen. As I start to either buy ILL or use LL, I will remove the attraction from the Edit Selection and add another LL attraction. You are basically trying to keep your LL at the top of the Tip Board so you do not have to scroll down.
- If a LL or ILL return time does not meet the earlier time you need or want, PULL DOWN on this screen to refresh.
- HOWEVER, if a ILL is sold out, it is RARE that you will see it come back at all.

I tried this and have 5 rides in my selection for DLP, but when I go to Tip Board, all the rides are in there in alphabetical order. I want to at least have my priority ones at the top. The above didn't work for me. Any suggestions? Not sure if this is because my park day isn't til next month.

If I go to My Day and scroll down to My Top Attractions, I can see them there but this seems a tedious way of doing it.

Thanks ...
If you click on a ride and ‘LL’ on the details page, when you refresh the tip board again it automatically jumps to that ride so you don’t have to keep scrolling down

If you click on a ride and ‘LL’ on the details page, when you refresh the tip board again it automatically jumps to that ride so you don’t have to keep scrolling down
You can just pick the attraction from the map now and it automatically goes to that one.

Just click the map, hit LL and back to map click LL…..
Two seconds….no editing needed.

We will be a group of 8, four adults, and four young teens. Not really interested in Fantasyland. Our hotel is a very quick walk on Harbour so easy to get back. We likely won’t be back to DL for a couple of years and we only have one full day at DL - we won’t be park hopping. We will have Genie+ and we will do $LL for Rise. This is for a Friday in September.

This is what I’m thinking:

Rope drop - try to get as close to Adventureland/Frontierland as possible.

Aim for our first LL for Indiana Jones

Keep an eye on for Rise to try to get a $LL for sometime between 11-1

Then go as follows:

Pirates
Jungle cruise
Indiana Jones - get next LL
Big Thunder - get next LL
Haunted Mansion - get next LL
Smugglers Run - get next LL
Rise
Splash - pick a LL return for later

Working our way from Adventure land to Star Wars. Obviously adjust on the fly as necessary for closures or depending on LL return times.

We should be done it by around lunch time and then we’ve done all the main and rides that are important to us done. Enjoy lunch QS at the end of this plan or depending on our return times, close to the end of this plan. From the end of this plan to around 5pm, the rest is free time to either go back to the hotel for a rest and splash at the pool and/or enjoy the park at the kids leisure.

Be back to the parks at around 5pm.

Oga’s for drinks at 5:40pm.
HB F! Pickup food at 7:30

Enjoy some of the other rides we may want to do at our leisure/when/if we can get LL for:

It’s a small world
Matterhorn (? Might still be closed)
Space
Buzz
Star Tours

Fireworks at 9:30pm
F! At 10:30pm
Parade at 10:45pm

Any strong opinions on this? Anything I’m missing?

We will be a group of 8, four adults, and four young teens. Not really interested in Fantasyland. Our hotel is a very quick walk on Harbour so easy to get back. We likely won’t be back to DL for a couple of years and we only have one full day at DL - we won’t be park hopping. We will have Genie+ and we will do $LL for Rise. This is for a Friday in September.

Then go as follows:

Pirates
Jungle cruise
Rise

Working our way from Adventure land to Star Wars. Obviously adjust on the fly as necessary for closures or depending on LL return times.

We should be done it by around lunch time and then we’ve done all the main and rides that are important to us done. Enjoy lunch QS at the end of this plan or depending on our return times, close to the end of this plan. From the end of this plan to around 5pm, the rest is free time to either go back to the hotel for a rest and splash at the pool and/or enjoy the park at the kids leisure.

Enjoy some of the other rides we may want to do at our leisure/when/if we can get LL for:

It’s a small world
Space
Buzz
Star Tours

Looks like a solid plan. With early entry, resort guests will probably reduce but not eliminate the rope drop benefits. Indiana Jones was down all day on Thursday. Crowds are intense after 5 in the Adventureland/Frontierland area. I think hitting those first is really good. Pirates had a 40 min posted wait around 11 am and it’s a really hot queue and we ended up waiting a bit longer. JC posted 40, was 25 but also very hot. So doing rides with outdoor queues in the morning is better. Grab a Dole whip at the Tiki Juice bar (low wait) vs Tropical hideaway. We rode the train from Frontierland (next to Haunted Mansion) back to Tomorrowland and saw the MSEP going by.

For fireworks you might need to line up an hour before due to party size.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/12/review-tropical-hideaway-at-disneyland-resort/

Then go as follows:

Pirates
Jungle cruise
Rise

It’s a small world
Space
Buzz
Star Tours

Slight recommendations.
- As soon as you enter the park for Rope Drop, book a LL for Indiana Jones. You will not actually use that LL, but use it to FISH for the MEP
- When rope drops head to Big Thunder first (ride Standby), then ride Indiana Jones (Standby). The goal is to be done with these two attractions before 830am.
- At 830am get in line for the Jungle Cruise.
- By 850am get in line for Pirates
GET READY TO BOOK YOUR ILL FOR RISE for RETURN OF 1030AM-1130AM, 11AM-12PM

- By 915am get in line for Mansion (use Standby)
- By 940am get in line for Splash (use Standby)
- Can ride Pooh if you like after Splash or go explore Galaxy's Edge before you start returning for the LLs in this area.
The first actual LL you will book is for the Falcon. You want a return time about the same as Rise. 1030am-1130am, 11am-12pm.
* I personally would ride Falcon before Rise.
Also start thinking about lunch and preparing your Mobile Order during your free time.
Or perhaps head back to the hotel after the two Galaxy Edge attractions.

By not booking LL for Indy, Thunder, Mansion, or Splash you can still use those attractions to FISH for MEPs back at the hotel and ride later with LL.
You will not need to book an actual LL until about 2-3pm. That should either be for Space or Indy based on how late their return times are.

SAVE ALL OF YOUR MEPS that you have collected for when you absolutely need or want to us them.

Last edited:
Slight recommendations.
- As soon as you enter the park for Rope Drop, book a LL for Indiana Jones. You will not actually use that LL, but use it to FISH for the MEP
- When rope drops head to Big Thunder first (ride Standby), then ride Indiana Jones (Standby). The goal is to be done with these two attractions before 830am.
- At 830am get in line for the Jungle Cruise.
- By 850am get in line for Pirates
GET READY TO BOOK YOUR ILL FOR RISE for RETURN OF 1030AM-1130AM, 11AM-12PM

- By 915am get in line for Mansion (use Standby)
- By 940am get in line for Splash (use Standby)
- Can ride Pooh if you like after Splash or go explore Galaxy's Edge before you start returning for the LLs in this area.
The first actual LL you will book is for the Falcon. You want a return time about the same as Rise. 1030am-1130am, 11am-12pm.
* I personally would ride Falcon before Rise.
Also start thinking about lunch and preparing your Mobile Order during your free time.
Or perhaps head back to the hotel after the two Galaxy Edge attractions.

By not booking LL for Indy, Thunder, Mansion, or Splash you can still use those attractions to FISH for MEPs back at the hotel and ride later with LL.
You will not need to book an actual LL until about 2-3pm. That should either be for Space or Indy based on how late their return times are.

SAVE ALL OF YOUR MEPS that you have collected for when you absolutely need or want to us them.
Oh wow- there is some great information here. Thank you for replying.

I’m not sure if the fishing for MEPs strategy is the right strategy for us though. It’s unlikely we will be riding each ride more than once, and I’m not sure what else we would use the MEPs for that we can’t use G+ to begin with. I totally understand fishing for the first Indy ride right at the beginning. But I even if we only shave off 10 min on waiting by using the LL, that still feels like an advantage for us.

Oh wow- there is some great information here. Thank you for replying.

I’m not sure if the fishing for MEPs strategy is the right strategy for us though. It’s unlikely we will be riding each ride more than once, and I’m not sure what else we would use the MEPs for that we can’t use G+ to begin with. I totally understand fishing for the first Indy ride right at the beginning. But I even if we only shave off 10 min on waiting by using the LL, that still feels like an advantage for us.
No problem.
The MEP is really there to give your visit more flexibility as it becomes a LL that you can use at anytime, for almost any attraction in the park including non-LL attractions.

It does not make sense to use a LL in the morning when the SB and LL wait will be the same or close to the same based on my recommendation.

Then go as follows:

Pirates
Jungle cruise
Rise

No problem.
The MEP is really there to give your visit more flexibility as it becomes a LL that you can use at anytime, for almost any attraction in the park including non-LL attractions.

It does not make sense to use a LL in the morning when the SB and LL wait will be the same or close to the same based on my recommendation.

Take my advice with a grain of salt because I have only ever been once in May, but I would agree and recommend taking DLRExpert's advice. I used the fishing technique when I was there and it is great. The best thing is if you don't use them, then no worries. However, having them is a big advantage because you never know when after using your LL on a ride, you get the urge to ride it again! Also, and IMO this is the biggest thing, there are times when you try and get an LL and it's only available for like 60mins after you had wanted/planned to ride it...but you will have the MEP to use to ride it now and either book another ride with LL or keep it and ride it again at that time.

The other thing that someone hasn't mentioned (again take my advice with a grain of salt because I am no expert) is that it looks like you are planning on essentially getting a LL for each consecutive ride and be planned to be done by noon? I am not so sure that will work? What I am thinking is that after you get and use the Indy LL you may be able to get BTMR LL in short notice, but by the time you use it and look for the HM LL, it may be 30-60m out? Similar with when you want SR? So by the time you get and use the LL, it could be well past noon? Maybe that early in the day you may be fine, I'm not sure, but from what I can remember when I was there it may be hard? It's that 2hr wait between being able to book your next LL that gets you! If once LL is delayed from when you wanted it, it just backs everything else up. It may turn out that you may have to do standby for some while you wait for your LL. And in that case, I think it takes you back to DLRExpert's advice?

Take my advice with a grain of salt because I have only ever been once in May, but I would agree and recommend taking DLRExpert's advice. I used the fishing technique when I was there and it is great. The best thing is if you don't use them, then no worries. However, having them is a big advantage because you never know when after using your LL on a ride, you get the urge to ride it again! Also, and IMO this is the biggest thing, there are times when you try and get an LL and it's only available for like 60mins after you had wanted/planned to ride it...but you will have the MEP to use to ride it now and either book another ride with LL or keep it and ride it again at that time.

The other thing that someone hasn't mentioned (again take my advice with a grain of salt because I am no expert) is that it looks like you are planning on essentially getting a LL for each consecutive ride and be planned to be done by noon? I am not so sure that will work? What I am thinking is that after you get and use the Indy LL you may be able to get BTMR LL in short notice, but by the time you use it and look for the HM LL, it may be 30-60m out? Similar with when you want SR? So by the time you get and use the LL, it could be well past noon? Maybe that early in the day you may be fine, I'm not sure, but from what I can remember when I was there it may be hard? It's that 2hr wait between being able to book your next LL that gets you! If once LL is delayed from when you wanted it, it just backs everything else up. It may turn out that you may have to do standby for some while you wait for your LL. And in that case, I think it takes you back to DLRExpert's advice?

I did a “test run” last Friday (we will be there on a Friday) and pretended I was on the rides I had picked. I used touring plans to estimate how long the ride is and estimated standing in lines for 15 min using LL (or whatever they estimated for non LL). I set a timer on my phone and then went to check on the next ride. For each one I was able to pick my next pick through LL with a perfect return time, and I was able to get my first five rides done by 10 am and Smugglers was estimating a return for 12:30 pm. Each of the LL I was able to shave off waiting time, so I think it is possible.

Now obviously it may not work perfect and we may need to adjust on the fly.
I’m going to look at the fishing plan a bit more as I do have time to play around with it. :)

I did a “test run” last Friday (we will be there on a Friday) and pretended I was on the rides I had picked. I used touring plans to estimate how long the ride is and estimated standing in lines for 15 min using LL (or whatever they estimated for non LL). I set a timer on my phone and then went to check on the next ride. For each one I was able to pick my next pick through LL with a perfect return time, and I was able to get my first five rides done by 10 am and Smugglers was estimating a return for 12:30 pm. Each of the LL I was able to shave off waiting time, so I think it is possible.

Now obviously it may not work perfect and we may need to adjust on the fly.
I’m going to look at the fishing plan a bit more as I do have time to play around with it. :)
Know that while Touring Plans is great for WDW it isn’t as great for the Disneyland Resort.

LLs at Disneyland do not go as fast as WDW. Especially in the morning. You can easily get LLs with early return times during that time, but do you want to use LL when the Standby line is already 15 minutes or less?

Personally I would wait to use LL when the waits are past 30 minutes.

2 questions from a DCA newbie.
1. How do you select an attraction to put at the top of your tip board?? Is it something I can only do on my park days?
2. Which side is the best to rope drop avengers campus or cars land??

Thanks!

1. How do you select an attraction to put at the top of your tip board?? Is it something I can only do on my park days?

Thanks!
Can I only select your top attractions on your visit day.

Between Carthay Circle Restaurant and the Grizzly River waterfall.
Line up to the left side of the rope for AC.
Line up to the right side of the rope for Cars Land.

If you are right at the rope the side matter less.
Either way you want to walk briskly to the first attraction.

Last edited:
Personally I would wait to use LL when the waits are past 30 minutes.

Is that the case even when park hopping?

If you wait to use your lightning lane until standby times creep up to 30 minutes, aren't you risking getting much later return times for some of the bigger attractions, pushing your ability to park hop way back?

Thanks!
You setup your selections in free Genie and then edit selections

If you click LL on the ride details after clicking a ride, the tip board jumps to that ride when you refresh

Is that the case even when park hopping?

If you wait to use your lightning lane until standby times creep up to 30 minutes, aren't you risking getting much later return times for some of the bigger attractions, pushing your ability to park hop way back?
Park hopping is a different thing because time is limited. I would still go for an MEP in the morning, until but not after that. I would not use a LL at DL until I come back to DL. However, I would try to fit in as many LL attractions but not use LL for them.
Rope Drop example
730am: Book Indy LL for the MEP FISH
8am-830am: get in 3-4 Fantasyland rides. Order Peter Pan, Alice, Dumbo, Toad (Snow and Pinocchio lines at night are not too bad)
830am-1130am: Big Thunder Mountain, Indiana Jones, Pirates, Splash, Mansion
1130am: Early Lunch
1230pm: Start walk over to DCA

By 930am I would already start collecting LL for DCA, Guardians being first. Then two hours later another.
Plus book my ILLs at DCA if needed.
My opinion of the LL order at DCA
#1 Guardians
#2 Toy Story Midway Mania
#3 tie between Incredicoaster and Soarin
#4 tie between Grizzly and Monsters Inc.

As soon as I finish, I start collecting at DL and use the REFRESH TRICK.
#1 Space Mountain
#2 Matterhorn
any order for everything else

Last edited:
Park hopping is a different thing because time is limited. I would still go for an MEP in the morning, until but not after that. I would not use a LL at DL until I come back to DL. However, I would try to fit in as many LL attractions but not use LL for them.
Rope Drop example
730am: Nook Indy LL for the MEP FISH
8am-830am: get in 3-4 Fantasyland rides. Order Peter Pan, Alice, Dumbo, Toad (Snow and Pinocchio lines at night are not too bad)
830am-1130am: Big Thunder Mountain, Indiana Jones, Pirates, Splash, Mansion
1130am: Early Lunch
1230pm: Start walk over to DCA

By 930am I would already start collecting LL for DCA, Guardians being first. Then two hours later another.
Plus book my ILLs at DCA if needed.
My opinion of the LL order at DCA
#1 Guardians
#2 Toy Story Midway Mania
#3 tie between Incredicoaster and Soarin
#4 tie between Grizzly and Monsters Inc.

As soon as I finish, I start collecting at DL and use the REFRESH TRICK.
#1 Space Mountain
#2 Matterhorn
any order for everything else
DLR Expert - Thank you for sharing this strategy. We are visiting 8/23-24 and will use it. We will start one day in CA and hop to DL and then start the next in DL and hop to CA. We will have G+. Do you have recommendations for starting in CA and hopping to DL? Even though we are there on weekdays and when the blockouts are lifted, hopefully we use strategy, G+ and the Fantastic dining plan to help offset the crowds.

DLR Expert - Thank you for sharing this strategy. We are visiting 8/23-24 and will use it. We will start one day in CA and hop to DL and then start the next in DL and hop to CA. We will have G+. Do you have recommendations for starting in CA and hopping to DL? Even though we are there on weekdays and when the blockouts are lifted, hopefully we use strategy, G+ and the Fantastic dining plan to help offset the crowds.
Hard to know until we see how Early Entry works.

We have hopper tickets which coincide with OBB in October (we are not attending OBB). With toddlers, we usually rope drop Fantasyland but I’ve read that crowds are much better if we start at DCA due to OBB. Should we start at DCA or stick with DL? Does the rope drop strategy change when considering after hours events?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter