Rough, Bumpy Rides?

SteveInOmaha

Mouseketeer
Some in our family don't want roller coasters, bumpy/jerky rides, or drops. They will only be in Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. So Everest and Dinosaur are definitely out, as are Tower of Terror, Rock N Roller Coaster, and Star Tours.

I've ridden these three rides, but it's been 4 years:
  • I don't remember the Smuggler's Run ride mechanism. I know it's not as bumpy as Star Tours, but how bumpy/jerky is it? If Star Tours is an 8/10, what would you give Smuggler's Run?
  • I don't remember each section of Rise of the Resistance. I know at one point there's a slight drop. Is the rest fairly smooth, on a 1-10 scale?
  • On Flight of Passage, how much do the seats pitch or tilt? I don't remember being belted in, which makes me think it doesn't move much.
Thanks!

- Smugglers Run is partially dependent on how good the pilots are. Honestly I might put it at the same level as Star Tours at its worst. But it’s a sim.

- Rise has no bumpiness aside from the slight drop sensation at the end, along with the surprise “elevator” midway through that I feel is worth noting.

- I don’t recall FoP moving much? It’s def tame.

Might seem odd but Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railroad has a part that will sling you around. The dance scene. It actually hurt my neck. As mentioned above the Safari can be rough. Slinky Dog Dash is a coaster but very smooth, there is one section that kind of has rolling bumps. Alien Swirling Saucers will jerk you around. I'm thinking if you don't want a coaster or bumps, just about the only ride at AK you/they will be able to ride is Navi and maybe Triceritops Spin and Kali River Rapids. At HS you should be o.k. with MF and RoTR, just know on Rise there is a small drop and the vehicles can sort of whip you at some points. MK and Epcot are going to be the best bet for smoother lest bumpy non-roller coaster rides.

I am the biggest scaredy cat about rides in the world. I did a lot of research about Flights of Passage before I went on it. My take- Flights of Passage-the seat is on a platform. The platform moves a bit, back and forth and side to side, but nothing huge. During the movement, the ride stays firmly on the platform.

I rode. Now, once the ride started, I could not handle the immersive effects and ended up with my eyes shut the entire ride. BUT, as long as I could close my eyes, I was fine. There were no dips or drops in the ride. I would not say the ride is jerky or bumpy.

If the line wasn't too long, I would ride again. I might even open my eyes.

Smugglers Run was definitely bumpier than Star Tours for us. I tried it again because we had a kid as a pilot and got another kid pilot and it was bumpy misery again. Won’t touch that thing. If you think star tours 8/10, SR is 10/10.

The train out to Rafiki’s Planet watch is very bumpy. Caught me by surprise. They wanted it to feel authentic or something but it’s just miserable. Not big bumps like on the safari but little constant ones.

Alien Swirling Saucers isn’t scary, but it has bumps and swings you around. If you have any aches triggered by movement, it will find it.

One of the bumpiest rides is Kilimanjaro Safari. It's a favorite, but there are lots of bumps.
Edited to add that kpeterso beat me on the safari.
The Kilimanjaro ride has definitely gotten more bumpy than it was initially, and I’ve been riding it since park opening in 1998. I don’t know how or why they decided to add that element to the ride, but when I went on 2 weeks ago, I vowed to never ride again! There was absolutely nothing enjoyable about it. I spent all my effort adjusting to the violent bumps rather than looking at any animals. I sure do miss the days of “Simba 1” and “Little Red”.

The Kilimanjaro ride has definitely gotten more bumpy than it was initially, and I’ve been riding it since park opening in 1998. I don’t know how or why they decided to add that element to the ride, but when I went on 2 weeks ago, I vowed to never ride again! There was absolutely nothing enjoyable about it. I spent all my effort adjusting to the violent bumps rather than looking at any animals. I sure do miss the days of “Simba 1” and “Little Red”.
I don’t know that they “added” an element to the ride so much as they don’t groom the dirt roads that much/often/at all, and that causes bigger bumps.

Hard to really rank any of them, because defining what- 5/10 over what=6/10 is very subjective.
Most WDW rides have bumps and turns. I'd say Rise does have a few somewhat speedy direction changes, at least if you are ranking Star Tours an 8/10. Star Tours is just a big box that is lifted a bit and tilts. Any perceived movement beyond that is purely based on the visuals. (stars flying past when going into hyperspace.) Rise has a vehicle that actually moves. IMO, most WDW rides have more movement/bumps/turns than Star Tours.

Smuggler's Run is somewhat similar to Star tours- in terms of the kind of movement the ride actually can make. It doesn't tilt as sharply or rapidly as Star Tours, but it is otherwise very similar.

One thing about Rise is that the drop, though small, is very sudden. On a ride like Pirates, riders are well warned. But Rise has no real warning of what is coming. Meanwhile Splash Mtn was ALL warning of the big drop ahead if you walked over the bridge.

FoP is comparable to the above, but even more comparable to Soarin'. There is no sudden tilting at all, except = as in ST- it looks like you are dropping.

The distinction is important, because some folks are more bothered by virtual drops than actual drops, but for others they are fine.

Beyond rides., the excellent shows and live entertainment would be a great option for you. I second that the safari is quite turbulent. (though IMO it has always been turbulent.) Each driver drives slightly differently. You should talk to CM when riding to see if there is any way to request a tamer ride.

Some in our family don't want roller coasters, bumpy/jerky rides, or drops. They will only be in Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. So Everest and Dinosaur are definitely out, as are Tower of Terror, Rock N Roller Coaster, and Star Tours.

I've ridden these three rides, but it's been 4 years:
  • I don't remember the Smuggler's Run ride mechanism. I know it's not as bumpy as Star Tours, but how bumpy/jerky is it? If Star Tours is an 8/10, what would you give Smuggler's Run?
  • I don't remember each section of Rise of the Resistance. I know at one point there's a slight drop. Is the rest fairly smooth, on a 1-10 scale?
  • On Flight of Passage, how much do the seats pitch or tilt? I don't remember being belted in, which makes me think it doesn't move much.

To avoid and bumps or Jerks just do the following attractions:
At AK: Na'vi River Journey, Tough to be a Bug and the shows.

At Hollywood, the shows and MuppetVision 3d. You could try Runaway Railway and if that is OK, do Rise of Resistance and Toy Story Mania!

The only ride where I've actually been injured (I've had previous back surgery) was Seven Dwarves Mine Train which is actually pretty smooth. But it threw me sideways in my seat just a little bit such that I felt a pop and immediate pain in my lower back and ended up needing a sacroiliac joint injection a couple of weeks later.

So I think it's a bit of crapshoot about rides causing actual injury. (Feeling a bit jostled up is a different story.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter