Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

So the crazy scheduling of hubby & I got a bit out of whack this week. But I CAN FIX IT!
So last night hubby had to run and so I am going to be shifting things a tad. If this seems crazy please holler, but I think it'll work.

Tonight do the Thursday workout (it's a hard one and long)
I honestly wasn't real ready for it last night anyways. Wasn't very hydrated and would have had to start it way late at night.
But tonight hubby is picking up kiddo and I should be able to just run as soon as I get home and finish before dinner (of which I will not be cooking because I cooked three dinners in a row already this week!)

So then Sat planned easy run. I'll just do it later in the day and run it to what easy feels like even if it ends up being a tad slower (we'll see how tonight gets to me fatigue wise)

Since I don't plan on pulling a dopey anytime soon at home. I will rest on Sunday. And then attack my 11 mile LR on Monday.
Then back to easy A on tues.

Is this insane. Will I be ok? Should I instead skip Sat and run my LR on Sunday and then back to normal?

Thanks all :)

Probably @DopeyBadger will chime in shortly, but I can tell you that when DH got behind on his runs, the advice he was given was to skip the hardest run. So with that in mind, would potentially skip today/yesterday's run and then carry on as normal.

You could also potentially convert today/yesterday into a shorter EA/EB to get the miles in, then carry on as normal.

Either doing-

3x2 today, easy sat, off sun, lr mon, and easy tues OR
easy today, easy sat, LR sun, off mon, and easy tues

is fine. Because you only have one SOS other than LR and because you're not necessarily skipping any days both are fine choices.

Either doing-

3x2 today, easy sat, off sun, lr mon, and easy tues OR
easy today, easy sat, LR sun, off mon, and easy tues

is fine. Because you only have one SOS other than LR and because you're not necessarily skipping any days both are fine choices.

Thanks for the assurance on what will work; so now I just need to double triple check with hubby on his schedule and see if option 1 or 2 makes more sense. At least I know I'll be running today!

IMG_0933.PNG
Putting this here now but need to stretch some more before laying down any thoughts. Well except for maybe this one: running 11 miles blind at night on a Sunday is maybe the most committed to this sport I've felt outside of a race.
My breathing felt even and easy the whole time. My legs got tired towards the end, mostly in the hips and lil bit my glutes but I was pretty much on autopilot. This gives me mega confidence but still the thought of faster for this long scares me (because I'm me)
Ok I guess that was more than one thought.
Also I forgot there was a mile of graveyard on the route I took and that's "fun" in the dark.

View attachment 268640
Putting this here now but need to stretch some more before laying down any thoughts. Well except for maybe this one: running 11 miles blind at night on a Sunday is maybe the most committed to this sport I've felt outside of a race.
My breathing felt even and easy the whole time. My legs got tired towards the end, mostly in the hips and lil bit my glutes but I was pretty much on autopilot. This gives me mega confidence but still the thought of faster for this long scares me (because I'm me)
Ok I guess that was more than one thought.
Also I forgot there was a mile of graveyard on the route I took and that's "fun" in the dark.

ROCK.STAR. :rockband:

ROCK.STAR. :rockband:

Wow! Look at you go! Agree with @run.minnie.miles - ROCK STAR!!!!

Thanks guys, I definitely feel like Keith Richards today getting out of bed...so I guess your statements are true.
giphy.gif

Thanks all for the nice words. I was doing some race math and if I had finished 2.1 more miles last night (and it was on a certified course, etc) at somewhere in the 10:30 range then I'd have a half time of 2:17+ which is pretty great considering none of these miles were at my "pushing it" tempo. And that my moving time on my Tink half was right around that (2:16 I think?)
The idea of a half waaaaay faster than that is frightening, but maybe waay faster is do-able? Maybe? Ack!
So I'll just continue to focus on the fact that I have the above in me and know that I've potentially got faster in me. It's just up to me when push comes to shove. I better go look at what this course looks like again and what the elevation is.

Training update: Two weeks left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've got pretty tired (but maybe in a good way?) leg muscles today and I'm pretty tired from a "I NEED MORE SLEEP" aspect right now. But pretty sure this is how I felt in the spring before Tink weekend. Looking really forward to the easier mileages to come. Since I haven't even looked at this week's plan, maybe I should do that now!!!
Mon 9/11: REST (I'm really glad I did my LR last night and didn't save it for today. Not that running at night for almost 2 hours is ever easy, but I think doing it after a work day is less easy. Hubby did his 90 min LR yesterday morning too btw)
Tue 9/12: 5 mi @ EA
Wed 9/13: STIR (gonna just be some easy stretching)
Thur 9/14: 2mi WU, 6 mi Tempo, 1 mi CD can't escape the tempos just yet, but I can do this. It's gonna be treadmill.
Fri 9/15: REST!!
Sat 9/16: 5mi EB w/ strides
Sun 9/17: 5mi @ EA (can you hear the choir angels singing?)

Time for Too Early Race Nit Picking
Accuweather for 9/24: 76 high, 64 low, partly sunny and windy
Race course: Well good thing I run a ton of out and backs in training. Sometimes I do up to 5 miles out and back. You can kinda see the elevation chart on the bottom.
2016-Chicago-Half-Marathon-Course-Map-Image.png

Gels:
My sporting store did not have either of my cherry chocolate or my citrus clif shots (booo) so I made due getting strawberry and double espresso. I LIKE THE STRAWBERRY! So that'll be my 45 min goo. The double espresso worked fine...I didn't have the whole thing though since I only had 3ish miles to go when I took it but I WAS UP ALL NIGHT on a caffeine buzz. So I'm gonna stick with these for the race, just knowing that I will probably not be able to nap until a little later :)

That is one long out and back. It looks like it's along the water though so hopefully it's a beautiful view.

It's tragic that they didn't have the goo you liked. Maybe they'll restock or you can find them online? At least you found something that works and realized before the race.

Totally do-able!!! You're going to crush it!

Thanks for thinking so!

I think the thing I'm going to need to remind myself to do is not start out overly ambitious. I tend to start out a lil fast (not too fast, but still a lil bit fast) and then really crush the middle and then have the last few mile fade. So I can probably have a better chance of not doing that if I'm a tiny bit more conservative out the gate. Maybe

That is one long out and back. It looks like it's along the water though so hopefully it's a beautiful view.

It's tragic that they didn't have the goo you liked. Maybe they'll restock or you can find them online? At least you found something that works and realized before the race.

Yeah, I'm gonna keep my eyes posted for my preferred goo. But these worked out ok so not the end of the world if I don't find them.
The course map on the official site is from last year so there's a chance it may look different. But if it's the same I should see lots of water which I like. The unknown is really gonna be wind. The lake can be a windy place if it wants to be. So we shall just see! Eep

The idea of a half waaaaay faster than that is frightening, but maybe waay faster is do-able? Maybe? Ack!

I'd say very doable.

My running store pretty much always has the chocolate cherry in stock, so if I make it there before your race (not likely), maybe I'll pick some up and send them to you. It's always sad when you get get the goos you want.

I'd say very doable.

My running store pretty much always has the chocolate cherry in stock, so if I make it there before your race (not likely), maybe I'll pick some up and send them to you. It's always sad when you get get the goos you want.

Aww that's very kind of you, but I think I'll be able to get it this weekend. We have SO MANY run stores near us. And if not, I'm happy with the flavors I tried on my long run.

Tonight is my last training run that isn't an easy pace prior to my race. Does that mean after tonight I'm officially in the taper zone? Or am I already tapering?

Either way, let's distract myself from the fact that there are tempo paced miles in my near future with some Halloween costume chatter!

I posted in the W&D thread but I finally decided to get a "real" costume for the MNSSHP on Halloween night. I had kiddo approval that Blue Town Belle was a good idea. I've wanted to dress up as her for some time now, but I hate hot, itchy, store costumes and didn't feel like buying a $200 one from Etsy. So I'm kinda disneybounding with an almost costume.
Bought this off Hot Topic. It looks like it'll be comfy. I plan to wear it with some black leggings or capri leggings or normal shorts depending on the temp that day. I'm tall so I don't pretend to think this will be appropriate sans pants underneath.
Two models...I'll probably look somewhere in between these gals. I appreciate websites that show stuff in multiple body types btw.
11088944_hi
11038493_hi

Let's hope it fits.
And because I had a $15 coupon and shipping was only $2....yeah I had to get the bow.
10880522_hi

It may not match exactly but close enough. We'll see how it looks in person. (plus it has a chip charm!)

roxykiddo approved my outfit. Hubby is now on the hunt for a Gaston inspired look. Because kiddo seems to like Gaston more than the Beast and demanded it. Eventually she'll wise up to who the better "catch" is but I think she just has a crush on gaston.
So far we've got this one (which may need to modified with tan cargo shorts...because Florida)

and this shirt from Spencers which I find hysterical
07477417-a

And although we tried talking kiddo into being Chip...she's had her heart set on Elena of Avalor. So I went full disneystore and got her all the accesories, etc. I have a FP+ at 5:20pm pre-party to meet Cindy and Elena so she's gonna be pretty pumped about that.
DSCostumeElenaJuneS16

And yes, I got her the sceptor wand. And also this crown.
51JbBhWwdmL._UX385_.jpg

and maybe also this mini jaguar, Skylar

so she can put it in this minnie treat bucket that was $8 with purchase

So yeah....I spoil my kid and I like to shop and I'm giddy about our trip. At least I waited until mostly everything was on sale and I had free shipping codes. All that was less than the deluxe dress by itself at full price...JUSTIFICATION!
Also my Belle dress was only $30 something after coupon. JUSTIFICATION!

Now is it October yet?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter