Royal Pacific or Portofino Bay

GeorgiaHoo

DIS Veteran
We are staying Sept. 24-29 at Disney followed by a one night stay at Universal. Plan is to switch to Universal early the morning of the 29th and spend the day and some of the next day at Universal (primarily interested in Harry Potter) before leaving for home. Also tentatively planning on attending the Halloween event at Universal the night of the 29th. We want to take advantage of the express pass (so much better than anything Disney offers), and wondering what folks prefer between Royal Pacific and Portofino. We previously stayed one night at Hard Rock and it was fine but thinking about a different experience this time. Thanks in advance.

Are you interested in any of the hotel amenities like the pools? We aren't, so we pick whichever of the 3 premiere resorts is the cheapest - which usually ends up being Royal Pacific.

The rooms at Portofino are a bit larger, if that would be helpful for your family.

I haven't stayed at Portofino, but I have at Hard Rock and Royal Pacific. I loved loved Royal Pacific.
I love the theme of Portofino, but I worried about the boats stopping for weather. Boats were key for me. I also really loved the pool. The water was awesome.

I am debating between these two hotels as well. I have stayed at both. My favorite was PB. We were there for an adults only trip and loved the room size and theming. When we stayed at RP, there wasn't anything wrong with it, but it didn't seem special in any way to me, but the walk is shorter than PB.
For our August trip, it is a family trip, PB is about $100 more for the 3 nights and I can't decide if paying the extra for bigger rooms/theming is worth it when RP has the shorter walk to the parks. We are traveling with teenagers and will have two rooms for 6 of us.

I was debating between these two as well. I ended up choosing RP because it is a shorter walk and we are going with four kids. I still keep looking and thinking about changing though because PB has two bedroom villas available. I have only stayed in PB previously. I thought the hotel grounds, pool, and restaurants were all great but the room was just ok. We had expected it to be a bit nicer.

Oh boy, I am torn. First time trip with the family the first week of August. I have RP booked but have seen some very recent terrible reviews about the condition of the rooms and other issues. PB club and garden room available. I am really considering changing. Any opinions appreciated! We are so used to DVC, so I'm nervous.

Oh boy, I am torn. First time trip with the family the first week of August. I have RP booked but have seen some very recent terrible reviews about the condition of the rooms and other issues. PB club and garden room available. I am really considering changing. Any opinions appreciated! We are so used to DVC, so I'm nervous.

We were there in early June and everything was great. The room was top notch and housekeeping was on point.

That said, we're big room people so should we go back I'd like to check out PB just for the larger room. The boat quickly became a must have for me as well.

We absolutely love PB. I'm a fan of the boats, so even tho it's furthest out its no big deal. They always come regularly and there are always busses if it's storming. I save my steps for the parks, lol. There's something about that theming and sitting at one of the tables outside drinking prosecco and snacking on a fruit and cheese plate I find heavenly.

That's interesting because I was getting nervous about reviews saying the rooms were worn and needed upgrading. The reviews are from last month. Is there a specific area or building that we should request?

That's interesting because I was getting nervous about reviews saying the rooms were worn and needed upgrading. The reviews are from last month. Is there a specific area or building that we should request?
If you are asking about RP, I prefer tower 3 as it is closer to the boat dock

But tower 3 is also a good location and maybe 3 more minute walk to the boats
( really not a big deal between walking distance to the boats)

I have allergies so I avoid staying at tower 2
That is the only building that allows pets in the rooms

Could be they just had a bad room? Maybe in the pet rooms?
Were there a lot of reviews with those complaints?
I tend to read reviews with an eye to toss out the fan boy everything was HEAVEN, and the ANGRY, staff stole my daughter's clothes and smoked pot in our room.reviews.
Kinda look for the middle of the road reviews that give legit info.

I caved...Portofino availability opened up again with a club level queen room. I switched from RP. I hope I don't regret it. I went back and forth and thought I don't know when I would do this again and it's for my son's 14th birthday and 8th grade graduation. I don't like the idea of a longer walk, but I found a post about a shortcut walk. I will obsess about RP vs PB until we get there, lol.

I caved...Portofino availability opened up again with a club level queen room. I switched from RP. I hope I don't regret it. I went back and forth and thought I don't know when I would do this again and it's for my son's 14th birthday and 8th grade graduation. I don't like the idea of a longer walk, but I found a post about a shortcut walk. I will obsess about RP vs PB until we get there, lol.

The boats are truly lovely! Plan on the boats. If the boats aren't running, it will probably be storming and you'll want to take the buses then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter