Rumor about potential major reduction in operating hours for WDW if Disney Asia parks remain closed due to coronavirus

The hours cuts have arrived! DHS has regular closings at 8:30 most nights. MK has quite a few evenings with 8PM closings the over the next 2-3 weeks. If people cancel trips/ people stop going to the parks because of virus fears this is a smart move, but until then, its really going to drive up the crowds and congestion in the parks. If I was in the parks right now or in the near future I would be very disappointed. To spend all that money and then not have any park open after 9PM during my trip would be a bummer.

With all of MK’s issues the past week or so I wouldn’t be shocked if hours of select ride operations if not the park itself gets cut

I’m a dvc owner. I would return the money if the park close and disney restored my points ... anything less would be stealing.
Wish I had rented points from you :love: Unfortunately I rented through the DVC rental store and they are taking a very hard nosed approach telling me that if the parks close I am SOL. The owner of the points seems to be some type of property company so I'm sure they would be similarly hard nosed.

Unfortunately I rented through the DVC rental store and they are taking a very hard nosed approach telling me that if the parks close I am SOL.

That is such a shame. Some companies are being great during this epidemic and others a real pain in the butt. The coronavirus is something no one could have predicted and yet all the financial fallout has to fall to the consumer! Really just seems unfair. I'm a little bitter because when I asked about my travel options due to virus response was "sorry, no refunds or cancellations within 30 days" Hopefully when this is over we will all remember what companies toasted us and not give them any more business.

Right now I am SO THANKful we canceled our April trip a few months ago.
Unless people (Disney) do the right thing with this, I won't be back. I was already disenchanted after our last (Disney money grubbing) trip.

Yes, if it comes down to Disney World being closed and I don't get a refund on my rented points, I will never rent points again

It does say when you rent points that there are no cancellations possible. That is why I am very careful when I rent them - I know I am absolutely, positively going. And I never recommend them for WDW newbies because most don't understand how time shares work.

That said - if the owner gets refunded - and doesn't pass that along to the renter - I would never use that company again. But as of now - travel within the US is not restricted - and WDW is still open - so I find it hard to see that they would refund the points - you could put them in holding right?

Not real educated on the whole holding thing - as I have never had to use it.

The best outcome from this would be reduction in crowds closing some hotels and going back to simpler and more magical times. It isn’t magical with packed parks.

Yes, if it comes down to Disney World being closed and I don't get a refund on my rented points, I will never rent points again
You knew when you rented there was no cancellation. :confused3

That's why renting points has never made sense to me. Life happens and sometimes vacations have to be cancelled or rescheduled.

The best outcome from this would be reduction in crowds closing some hotels and going back to simpler and more magical times. It isn’t magical with packed parks.
Magic it’s not their priority and all this.

You knew when you rented there was no cancellation. :confused3

That's why renting points has never made sense to me. Life happens and sometimes vacations have to be cancelled or rescheduled.
If the resort is closed it isn't a cancelation. If owners and point renting companies do not refund money on room a renter can not use, the owners and point rental companies will get sued and they will lose.

Same here! I also rented points through DVC Rental Store for the polynesian 5/9-5/16. I haven't even contacted them but I believe you, i re-read the contract and it clearly states the DVC member is not responsible:
"The DVC Rental Store or the Member shall not be responsible for any injuries, damages, or losses caused to the Renter or Renter's travel party in connection with terrorist activities, social, or labor unrest, mechanical or construction failures or difficulties, diseases, local laws, climatic conditions, criminal acts or abnormal conditions or developments, or any other actions, omissions, or conditions outside the DVC Rental Store's or the Member's control"
I actually just paid my trip off in full 3 weeks ago and added the dining plan. I really wish I waited. I'm feeling so sick over potentially losing all that money. I don't think I would rent points again either way. This is way to stressful. And I did buy travel insurance to protect myself but of course closures due to corona virus are not covered.

Last edited:
If the resort is closed it isn't a cancelation. If owners and point renting companies do not refund money on room a renter can not use, the owners and point rental companies will get sued and they will lose.
The resort isn't going to close.

Same here! I also rented points through DVC Rental Store for the polynesian 5/9-5/16. I haven't even contacted them but I believe you, i re-read the contract and it clearly states the DVC member is not responsible:
"The DVC Rental Store or the Member shall not be responsible for any injuries, damages, or losses caused to the Renter or Renter's travel party in connection with terrorist activities, social, or labor unrest, mechanical or construction failures or difficulties, diseases, local laws, climatic conditions, criminal acts or abnormal conditions or developments, or any other actions, omissions, or conditions outside the DVC Rental Store's or the Member's control"
I actually just paid my trip off in full 3 weeks ago and added the dining plan. I really wish I waited. I'm feeling so sick over potentially losing all that money. I don't think I would rent points again either way. This is way to stressful. And I did buy travel insurance to protect myself but of course closures due to corona virus are not covered.
None of that releases anyone from the responsibility of the accommodations you rented actually being available for you to stay in.

Did you get the Point Protection Plan? I did last year. It was the only way I would rent points.

Right now I am SO THANKful we canceled our April trip a few months ago.
Unless people (Disney) do the right thing with this, I won't be back. I was already disenchanted after our last (Disney money grubbing) trip.
The right thing is what? From a business perspective there is no current reason to close the parks. If people choose to not go to the parks that is a personal decision. But if you are that disenchanted with Disney after your last trip, id say take a break and find a place that doesnt make you come home miserable. I think youll find ALL vacation destinations are businesses and out to make money. Thats the purpose of being a business.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter