Rumor Oasis coming to Canaveral

samsteele

DIS Veteran
I was on the RC Explorer earlier this month and the staff told me the Explorer is going north (New Jersey? . . . I didn't focus on this part much & not up on my northern ports) but that the Oasis is coming to Port Canaveral in its place to do the shorter 5 night Caribbean runs. Staff were the ladies in the gift shops on the promenade. Two ladies in different shops. So . . . not like it was an officer giving me the inside info. However, the waiters in the dining room did confirm that Explorer will be making its way to Europe for a drydock & overhaul later this year. They were explaining that they had to pay out of pocket for their return flights to see family in the islands so an $$ trip home for them. This did confirm the rumor a little bit. I'm excited to check out the Oasis. The Explorer was my first ever cruise experience & I was very impressed. Beautiful ship & great value for the money. Just have to watch the extras (eg the pool drinks, wine with dinner, etc.) Cheers!

Someone posted on CC that Oasis 3 (I forget the name) will be home ported at PC. Their theory...

The new ship has water slides on board. Therefore, they're going up against DCL, therefore it will call PC "home".

I was told by an officer that PC is still not big enough for an Oasis class to turn around, which is a requirement for them to dock. With that said, I can't imagine that Royal would order two new Oasis class boats without confirmation that more east coast ports and Caribbean ports were going to expand to accommodate them. Harmony of the Seas definitely is a good candidate for PC with the 3 water slides.

I'm pretty sure they dredged PC when they built the new terminal to make it big enough for an oasis class. The question is whether oasis or allure relocates there and harmony goes to ft lauderdale, or if they keep oasis and allure in ft lauderdale and bring harmony to PC. i'd love it if harmony sailed out of PC - i hate to fly so we drive from DC, and those extra 3-4 hours down to ft lauderdale make a huge difference.

I was told by an officer that PC is still not big enough for an Oasis class to turn around, which is a requirement for them to dock. With that said, I can't imagine that Royal would order two new Oasis class boats without confirmation that more east coast ports and Caribbean ports were going to expand to accommodate them. Harmony of the Seas definitely is a good candidate for PC with the 3 water slides.

This is like getting rumors from the WDW bus drivers!!!

The latest expansion of PC (the new cargo terminal & cranes, Cruise Terminal 1, widening and deepening the channel and turning basins) was done specifically to get RCCL to home port a Quantum-class or Oasis-class ship there. Harmony is still a year away and the expansion project has been going on for over a year. PC will be ready for Harmony if RCCL chooses to put her there. I'm sure that behind some closed door in Miami, an RCCL executive hinted to a PC official that a shiny, new terminal and deeper, wider channel would enhance their chances at landing one of the big boats. The Dream-class ships have the AquaDuck, which is really cool, but other than that, Disney missed the mark on the pool deck. Freedom may not have a water slide, but her pools puts the Dream and Fantasy to shame and RCCL has just gone bigger and better as they've built new ships.

Harmony pics/renderings:

low_1424881320_Waterslide-overlooking-Central-Park-StudioVald.jpg

low_1424881326_ISO-3-STX-StudioVald.jpg

1. PC is big enough to hold the oasis. When I was just there I watched the quantum of the seas dock. That ship is bigger than the oasis.

1. PC is big enough to hold the oasis. When I was just there I watched the quantum of the seas dock. That ship is bigger than the oasis.

Oasis is way bigger than Quantum. Quantum is just slightly bigger than Freedom (which also currently docks at PC) - the sizes go Freedom, then Quantum, then Oasis.

Oasis:
Tonnage: 225,282
Passengers: 5,400
Decks: 18

Quantum:
Tonnage: 167,800
Passengers: 4,180
Decks: 16

That said, the new dredging should allow an Oasis-class ship into PC. :)

It's not a rumor anymore...it's true!! Got this email this morning for 16/17 seasons.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 26
Its in todays Orlando Sentinel. Its also on the Disney Forums. Oasis is coming to Port Canaveral, Freedom is going to Ft Lauderdale staying with 7 day eastern/westerns and Harmony is going to Ft Lauderdale. Rhapsody is coming to PC to replace Freedom.
When the new terminal 1 was built, it was built with Oasis in mind. The port, and channel were all prepped with the Oasis size ships in mind.

This is strictly a guess, but since there is a past precedent, I would think that since RCL has priority over the new terminal 1 at PC having RC move one of the Oasis to PC would be part of the contract.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...of-the-seas-port-canaverl-20150305-story.html

This is like getting rumors from the WDW bus drivers!!!

The latest expansion of PC (the new cargo terminal & cranes, Cruise Terminal 1, widening and deepening the channel and turning basins) was done specifically to get RCCL to home port a Quantum-class or Oasis-class ship there. Harmony is still a year away and the expansion project has been going on for over a year. PC will be ready for Harmony if RCCL chooses to put her there. I'm sure that behind some closed door in Miami, an RCCL executive hinted to a PC official that a shiny, new terminal and deeper, wider channel would enhance their chances at landing one of the big boats. The Dream-class ships have the AquaDuck, which is really cool, but other than that, Disney missed the mark on the pool deck. Freedom may not have a water slide, but her pools puts the Dream and Fantasy to shame and RCCL has just gone bigger and better as they've built new ships.

I think getting the port to promise RCL the terminal in return for putting a Oasis class there is pretty much a given. The port did it with DCL on the terminal expansion.

I agree with you 100% on the sizing of the pools on the Dream class. Disney dropped the ball big time on that and a few other things with that class.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter