Rumor of higher weekend hotel prices

CarolA

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
Since lots of you do the stay at a Disney Resort on the weekend, I thought you might find this interesting

http://www.allearsnet.com/news/hnews.htm#061107

Major Changes Coming to Walt Disney World Reservations System

Please note the following information is UNofficial and
has not been released by Walt Disney World.
All Ears "hears" it's coming!

Major changes are coming to the hotel reservation system beginning June 23, 2007. ...

I didn't copy the entire article, but it goes on to speculate that weekends will cost more. It also indicates that the "trick" of starting your vacation on a value date just to get the rate won't work, the rate will jump to the applicable seaon when Disney's calendar changes.

On the resort board several folks have whined that this is going to drive them to DVC

Just makes me all the more happy I bought my DVC! :)

It won't really affect us since we only travel usually once a year. We just cough up the points for the weekend (usually only a Friday night at the end or a Saturday at the beginning). We've only once used 2 weekend nights. But that was an OUCh trip -- 142 points for 4 nights.

Luckily we only use 1BRs so far.

I think if Disney resorts were to go to a higher weekend price, it would have the same effect for cash visitors that it has had with DVC, it would drive them off-site, or perhaps to Universal Studios for the weekends.

If it is significant I think our 25% cash discount will look more appealing.

But I still think it's a ploy to get us to add on more points for the weekend stays :rotfl:

I think if Disney resorts were to go to a higher weekend price, it would have the same effect for cash visitors that it has had with DVC, it would drive them off-site, or perhaps to Universal Studios for the weekends.

I thought the universal hotels charged more on the weekends already?

I know most other hotel chains do...

If this does come to pass, it will be interesting to see how much of an increase for weekends they charge.

I'd say it's a very safe bet that they will not put in the same weekend premium DVC has(double or more for weekends), that most certainly would as Chuck S stated, drive many people offsite for the weekends.

We'll wait and see...

Peace,
G4L

Well if you want a deal at Universal book soon! I figure that they DAY Universal opens Harry Potter Land then the rates go UP, the ticket prices go UP etc. Universal would like to charge what Disney charges, they just can't. If the Harry Potter gamble works out for them then expect them to raise rates. (supply and demand!)

::yes:: As will the rumored changes in DDP. :sad1:

I think it is interesting that the article states that if you want to know the rate for each night of a reservation, you'll have to ask. Otherwise, the agent will just quote the total. I wonder if: 1) this is a way to at least partially disguise price increases (just as with the MYW ticket plan) and 2) this is a prelude to the oft-rumoured phase out of CRO room-only reservations in favor of WDW Travel packages. Related piece of trivia: when travel started recovering post recession and 9/11 & Al Weiss was President of WDW, he was quoted in a newspaper article as saying that one of management's objectives at WDW as travel recovered was to find a way to end all of the discounting that had been necessary to fill hotel rooms. Having followed the info on Mousesavers since Mary Waring first started it in Spring 2001, I think they have been at least somewhat successful in ending the aggressive discounting that was prevalent in 2001 - 2003, while simultaneously convincing travelers that paying rack was good for them like with the free dining promotions.

I just came from 4 days at WL and 2 days at Universal, One day was $149.00 the second was $179.00. Both were at Porotifino, a beautiful Resort with a AP discount. If was May 25 and 26th. Disney was still higher with the AP discount at WL. If the poor souls want DVC, they must not realize how the points work, on the weekends.

I save my points for our big family trips.

I totally agree. Actually I think we can blame all these increases in rates and the loss of the included DDP gratutity on the building of CRV.

Hey it sounds good to me. Gotta blame someone. ;)

I know we like to stay at non-DVC and on-site properties on weekends to avoid higher point totals. The higher weekend rates would probably drive us to stay value instead of moderate or even deluxe. And yes, it could drive us to Universal more often; especially with Front of the Line Access.

I hope Disney understands that with each rate increase; whether at the parks or resorts, there service levels need to meet that increase. In other words, raise your rates and step up your service and attention to detail.

I wonder how this potential decision is going to effect AP Rates?

I totally agree. Actually I think we can blame all these increases in rates and the loss of the included DDP gratutity on the building of CRV.

Hey it sounds good to me. Gotta blame someone. ;)

CRV? Don't you think it is also related to SSR's perceived flaws. ;)

Won't higher Disney resort rates = higher DVC point rental rates?

Lots of us go willingly;)

We'll be @ the RPR end of the month for 4 days:banana: after our stay @ VWL. Priced out most of the summer, other than the holiday - no rate difference for weekends...may have something to do with booking 3 nights? I thought the AAA rate was very good (under $200) for a standard room...have been upgraded to pool/park view in the past courtesy of Loews reward program (and receive a nice gift I preselected of red wine & nuts). Tix were $85 pp...FOTL is "free".

Cannot wait to see what U does with the Potter franchise! Add The Simpsons ride replacing BTTF and it should indeed create some buzz. Head over to the U Boards for lots of speculation as to what's up & coming; along with rumour of new on-site hotel & waterpark.

I know we like to stay at non-DVC and on-site properties on weekends to avoid higher point totals. The higher weekend rates would probably drive us to stay value instead of moderate or even deluxe. And yes, it could drive us to Universal more often; especially with Front of the Line Access.

I hope Disney understands that with each rate increase; whether at the parks or resorts, there service levels need to meet that increase. In other words, raise your rates and step up your service and attention to detail.

I wonder how this potential decision is going to effect AP Rates?

I'd be happy if the service would just NOT decrease with the increase in rates. It seems service is not what it use to be in general.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter