Rumor of higher weekend hotel prices

Increased weekend/holiday rates wouldn't surprise me at all. I live on FL's West coast and that's the norm in our tourism industry.

But a "package-only" reservation system doesn't make sense if they continue to sell AP's. There's an entire populaiton of AP holders who will stay one or two nights - why would they want a package for that? And a recession is nearly imminent - WDW does NOT want to lose its FL contingent. We're their bread and butter when the nation's finances take a hit.

That said, I'm glad I bought into DVC this year! :rotfl: Now, maybe an add-on.... ;)

What going on with the DDP?

The rumor is DDP will not include tips beginning I believe Jan. '08. There's a lot of discussion about it on the dining boards.

We usually spend our weekend nights at a value or moderate, but if the rates go up too much we may just go off site for a night or two.

What going on with the DDP?

Check out the Disney Dining thread? Rumor has it they are going to get rid of the included tip. So that means if you DDP the tip won't be included for TS.

The other rumor is the 18% tip will be added automatically if you use the DDE card.

Also if you have a party of 6+ the tip will be automatically added to your bill.

That's my take on the whole thing, but nothing has been announced for 2008 yet so it is all speculation at this point.

Check out the Disney Dining thread? Rumor has it they are going to get rid of the included tip. So that means if you DDP the tip won't be included for TS.

The other rumor is the 18% tip will be added automatically if you use the DDE card.

Also if you have a party of 6+ the tip will be automatically added to your bill.

That's my take on the whole thing, but nothing has been announced for 2008 yet so it is all speculation at this point.

I hope if they do eliminate the tip that they do the "automatic" tip or something. Otherwise I can see folks tipping $3 on their meal since it's "on the dining plan" which only costs $39 a day. That would not be fair to the servers. (And would probably lead to the ending of the plan. If the servers quit serving..... LOL!)

The elimination of the automatic tip would be good because then the servers would actually have to do a good job, knowing they won't get paid no matter what.

Now the reverse is correct to for adding it to the DDE, they shouldn't. I don't want to pay an automatic 18% for someone who clearly doesn't deserve it if I get poor service.

I hope if they do eliminate the tip that they do the "automatic" tip or something. Otherwise I can see folks tipping $3 on their meal since it's "on the dining plan" which only costs $39 a day. That would not be fair to the servers. (And would probably lead to the ending of the plan. If the servers quit serving..... LOL!)

If anything I think the servers are going to get the short end of the stick if this is true. Most people won't read the fine print(no tip included) or will tip less than the servers were getting out of the DDP with the tip included.

If they take the tipping out of the TS then really I don't think the DDP would be worth it. We don't eat all the CS anyways but figure that the TS Does make up for that. I will be getting the DDE if that is the case.

The DIS podcast from today (yesterday?) --the most recent one--talked about lots of different pricing situations. They are predicting the end of the "seasons" (value season, etc.) and just having it be more like "regular" resorts--week-ends are higher, holiday week-end (like Memorial Day) are higher still, etc. This would be for room-only reservations. Disney's goal--always--is to sell packages. My guess is that this is trying to discourage room-only and piecemeal planning.

If they take the tipping out of the TS then really I don't think the DDP would be worth it.

I agree 100%. I also thought they were taking the "meal tax" out as well. This would really spell the doom of the DDP.

What a royal pain in the !** that would be, when paying for the meals. Pay for the meal with DDP then have to break out the credit card or cash just to cover the tip and tax.

As for staying off site and switching hotels just for weekends.......but isn't that a pain in the !** as well? I was not aware so many people actually did this or even considered it.

As for staying off site and switching hotels just for weekends.......but isn't that a pain in the !** as well? I was not aware so many people actually did this or even considered it.

My DH is a lurker here and he's amazed at the # of people who do this.

I think if Disney resorts were to go to a higher weekend price, it would have the same effect for cash visitors that it has had with DVC, it would drive them off-site, or perhaps to Universal Studios for the weekends.

I agree.

As for staying off site and switching hotels just for weekends.......but isn't that a pain in the *** as well? I was not aware so many people actually did this or even considered it.
Before we became DVC members, we did a week stay at OKW to make sure that it was definately what we wanted to do. We stayed Sunday through Thursday using cash and then for Friday and Saturday we moved to an off-site hotel. It seemed like the better thing to do at the time, but looking back on it we highly regret doing it in the first place.

We typically combine cash & points.

Depending on what the iweekend premiums actually ended up being, I think we would seriously consider either dropping a cash night or switching to a mod for 1 or 2 nights before DVC.

Yes, they'd still be getting our money but they will be getting less of our money. Is it logical, no.

Perception is everything.

We are looking into buying AKV so I asked what the cost of one night in a 1BR Sav view would be and it's 550 per night. I don't think I'd pay $1100 for two nights there. The Studio is 400 and something.

I don't mind switching for the weekends. But lately my trips are just over a Saturday and Sunday and I use points for them.

Why they'd want to add an 18% auto grat to DDE bills is beyond me...most DDE members I know just add back in the 20% discount, so they're taking 2% off the usual tip.

And I will request it be taken off !!!

WHy??? I can understand if service is bad, but if not why???? Are you just being difficult or rude? Or are you one of those folks who are causing the tip to be added because you have not been tipping?

I don't mind switching for the weekends. But lately my trips are just over a Saturday and Sunday and I use points for them.

Why they'd want to add an 18% auto grat to DDE bills is beyond me...most DDE members I know just add back in the 20% discount, so they're taking 2% off the usual tip.

Unfortuantly a LOT of DDE diners tip on the DISCOUNTED price which is shorting the waitstaff. The tip should be on the FULL price. So if your meal was $50 before the discount and you tip 15% then you would tip $7.50 However, a lot of DDE members tip on the discounted amount so the tip is $6. $6 on a 50 meal is just barely over 10%

WHy??? I can understand if service is bad, but if not why???? Are you just being difficult or rude? Or are you one of those folks who are causing the tip to be added because you have not been tipping?

I agree with CarolA, why??? It isn't the server's fault that the DDE will include the tip.

Our server at Mama Melrose on Sunday night was very upset with the upcoming changes, and he said that the changes could take place as early as September.

Bobbi:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter