Rumor of higher weekend hotel prices

I agree with CarolA, why??? It isn't the server's fault that the DDE will include the tip.

Our server at Mama Melrose on Sunday night was very upset with the upcoming changes, and he said that the changes could take place as early as September.

Bobbi:goodvibes

I can imagine that they're upset since I know I won't be adding that extra 2 percent back in.

I can imagine that they're upset since I know I won't be adding that extra 2 percent back in.

I would tend to agree that many who would tip at least 20% on the full price (before DDE discount) will now just settle for the auto-added 18%, if this new rule goes into effect.

To me, this new plan seems silly - I can see the auto-tip on the DDP because you would be pre-paying for all of your dining, tax and tip included; the simplicity is part of the appeal, at least it would be to me. BUT, for DDE, you are not pre-paying for anything and should be able to continue to add a tip as you feel appropriate, especially since tips are supposed to be based on the bill AND the level of service. With the 18% auto-added to DDE checks, it could feel like a little of our right to tip based on the service has been taken away. I can see how some people might say, "OK, you want to do that, then just accept the 18% rather than the 20% to 30% I usually tip."

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning
And I will request it be taken off !!!

WHy??? I can understand if service is bad, but if not why???? Are you just being difficult or rude? Or are you one of those folks who are causing the tip to be added because you have not been tipping?

I was wondering the same thing. - I am one of those that just add the 20% back in but now will just leave it at the 18% unless the service is better than average - then I will leave a little extra in cash on the table. It is not the server's fault that the 18% is added in.

When we used DDE at the same time as DDP the 18% was added in authomatically to the DDE part. That was two years ago so it was done in some circumstances before this

Quote:

I was wondering the same thing. - I am one of those that just add the 20% back in but now will just leave it at the 18% unless the service is better than average - then I will leave a little extra in cash on the table. It is not the server's fault that the 18% is added in.

Wasn't this new rule proposed by the union that represents the servers? If that is true, then some guests might, correctly or incorrectly, think that it is partially the servers' fault. I would guess, though, that the average server had very little say in the new contract? Please, someone correct me if I am not understanding what transpired. Thank you!

PS - sorry, I just realized I may be contributing to this thread going off-topic!

I think either the folks on here DO NOT represent reality or or just abnormal. I have talked to Disney servers. Most folks tip based on what they PAID which means the tip is based on post discounts.

(The real reason the servers may be unhappy is that it makes a much bigger "audit trail" If the TIP on DDE is assumed to be 18% then the computer will probaby report 18% to the IRS even if you paid CASH. As a general rule servers don't report all their cash tips. I have a friend who somehow lives in a great apt in NY and travels extensively while making the MINIMUM the IRS requres resturants to report to the IRS..... Everyyear he calls me for tax advice. Every year I tell him SHORT FORM ONLY, if he is ever audited he is DEAD LOL! His cash outflow will kill him. I also have told him to be honest, but that's a lost cause with this guy!)

The way I look at it, way over-priced meals equals way overly-excessive tips. The quality of sevice I received on our last trip was adequate, but nothing worthy of much more than the standard 15%. When did 18-20% become the new standard. Buffet meals should be less than 15%. Gratuity is supposed to be based on the quality of the service received. I don't like automatic tips based soley on the total purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning
And I will request it be taken off !!!

When we used DDE at the same time as DDP the 18% was added in authomatically to the DDE part. That was two years ago so it was done in some circumstances before this

If you order anything out of pocket while on DDP, they'll automatically add the 18% tip to your cash order, even if you just ordered a beer or something.

If anything I think the servers are going to get the short end of the stick if this is true. Most people won't read the fine print(no tip included) or will tip less than the servers were getting out of the DDP with the tip included.

I Agree.

The way I look at it, way over-priced meals equals way overly-excessive tips. The quality of sevice I received on our last trip was adequate, but nothing worthy of much more than the standard 15%. When did 18-20% become the new standard. Buffet meals should be less than 15%. Gratuity is supposed to be based on the quality of the service received. I don't like automatic tips based soley on the total purchase.

I agree. I did the dining plan 3 or 4 times and never gave extra tips. If you have 4 adults at a character meal, the included tip is around $20. That's more than enough for a buffet. They get a great tip at 18% because the prices are inflated.

Does anyone know if the Characters at the character meals or the performers at the Luau or Hoopty-Doo shows receive a percentage of tips received at those dining venues?

We just did our 2nd Luau show in 10+ years and it refreshed my memory on why I waited so long to return (food quality :guilty: ) The tip for our party was over $40 for a family style meal (kids meals passed out in a cardboard box!).

Anyhow the gratuity amount did make me wonder if the performers receive a percentage of tip money? I hope so, as they are the reason the "Pondorosa" quality meal is so expensive.

Does anyone know if the Characters at the character meals or the performers at the Luau or Hoopty-Doo shows receive a percentage of tips received at those dining venues?

We just did our 2nd Luau show in 10+ years and it refreshed my memory on why I waited so long to return (food quality :guilty: ) The tip for our party was over $40 for a family style meal (kids meals passed out in a cardboard box!).

Anyhow the gratuity amount did make me wonder if the performers receive a percentage of tip money? I hope so, as they are the reason the "Pondorosa" quality meal is so expensive.

I think the performers at Hoop are equity and don't receive tips...they get paid enough without them. The luau is probably the same way.

I doubt the Disney characters at meet and greet meals are equity but I have no idea how they're paid. I always thought the tips were for the serving staff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter