Rumor: Top of the World Lounge Not Reopening?

Wiltony

Recently Reformed Troublemaker
Just wondering if anyone else has also heard this rumor that a CM recently shared with me:

The TOTWL will not be reopening, at least in its current form. Its operation/revenue was just too erratic with the massive influx of people during fireworks and the staff not being able to keep up with demand during that one short time period; then it being a ghost town at all other times of the day.

Instead, they are working on monetizing it better by requiring payment to visit the top of BLT in every circumstance. The CM thought it would take the form of the $100 per person July 4 fireworks paid events, but could be like a dinner reservation similar to Cali grill with return-rights, or perhaps just a straight-up entrance fee. Regardless, the CM literally said the words, "yeah members are NOT going to be happy when they announce the changes to TOTWL."

Hopefully just a rumor, but a worrying one. Can anyone confirm/substantiate?

Hopefully just a bad rumor and many times cast members are the last to know such things. If true, it would be another perk that has been lost. We have used this lounge many times over the years and have found it to be a nice break from the hustle and bustle. Considering the venue is in a building that is 100% DVC, is that space owned by the condo association?

I hope the rumor is not true.

I splurged on TPV for this December 30, hoping there are fireworks!

I personally do not care if they charge for the lounge, require reservations or otherwise limit visits there, but I would be very upset if they start charging just to come up to the deck to watch the fireworks or just enjoy the view!

This is my understanding, which is why it’d be hard to change things up. The fact that it’s DVC owned is the reason both white and blue card members are granted entrance. At least that is what was explained to me.

The unit for TOTWL is a commercial unit. So member dues aren't funding it. Members aren't subsidizing operations. It is its own P&L. This is also why "blue card only" event shutdowns have been 100% okay and within rules - see also those $100 fireworks events, and some of the "paint at the top!" stuff.

The statement about traffic flow is... science fact, I believe every word of that, and so does anyone who has ever been near TOTWL at fireworks time and not at fireworks time.

I think the big challenge to the commercial space is that it lacks its own kitchen and the "nearest kitchen" is The Wave. It influences what they can do as a bar quite a bit.

It will definitely be a disappointment if you can not at least go to view the fireworks. I would even be okay if they had a cover charge for the lounge in which you paid it when making a reservation and then the charge is a credit toward drinks and food options.

Those without reservations, would only be able to use the deck and maybe that only opens 15 minutes before for people without lounge reservations???

I definitely agree they need to do something to "smooth out" attendance throughout the day/afternoon and not have it all at fireworks time. I'm ok with reservations but a "cover charge" seems extreme so hopefully that's just a rumor. I also hope that they consider allowing local DVC owners not currently staying on property to visit - maybe block fireworks time for them. At one point they had started doing some wine and whiskey tastings up there as well as maybe some painting classes (for a fee). Not sure how well those were attended but I always wanted to try one.

And then charge more points for rooms on the 15th & 16th floor? ;) ;). View attachment 580014View attachment 580014

Or, maybe less. :scratchin

Just imagine the poor members who must stay there pressing their noses against the glass that has been put in place to keep them away from the deck forcing them to peer in at what once was. Then they attract the attention of a stranger entering and say "please sir, can you use my phone to take a picture?" :sad:

I definitely agree they need to do something to "smooth out" attendance throughout the day/afternoon and not have it all at fireworks time. I'm ok with reservations but a "cover charge" seems extreme so hopefully that's just a rumor. I also hope that they consider allowing local DVC owners not currently staying on property to visit - maybe block fireworks time for them. At one point they had started doing some wine and whiskey tastings up there as well as maybe some painting classes (for a fee). Not sure how well those were attended but I always wanted to try one.

My idea for a cover charge would be to guarantee people don’t reserve and then not show up.

You pay it in advance but it is applied to food and drinks bought so it’s not an additional fee. Or, it’s like the do for dining. No shows are charged $10/person.

I would miss TOWL not opening. IMO there is no need for TOWL to be dedicated DVC - although TOWL will need a number counter around the fireworks (assuming they're returning). When we family vacationed at BL in 2013, DH and I would be down for the count, and the kids (20+) would convene at the Lounge to end their day, usually closing the place. It's the one real highlight of the trip for our younger two who are no longer really into the parks but love the DVC venues.

And again I say: please point to at least one benefit that blue card members have that non blue card members do not.

Heck, at this point, please point to one benefit that DVC members have that non DVC members do not.

DVC ownership is becoming more and more a scam everyday.

The fact of the matter is that the number of tables at TOTWL is inadequate for the number of people who want to use the facility from 2 hours before the fireworks to an hour after fireworks. I think, if they would set up a bar outside (weather permitting), they could triple their sales during this period.

And again I say: please point to at least one benefit that blue card members have that non blue card members do not.

Heck, at this point, please point to one benefit that DVC members have that non DVC members do not.

DVC ownership is becoming more and more a scam everyday.

If perks are why you are buying DVC, then I can see why some may be frustrated or disappointed,

But, the AP discount, the merchandise discount on everything vs, having to reach $50 like my Disney Visa, and the dining discounts..which seem to be more widely given than my CC, are a bonus, IMO.

The real discount was the number of nights I get for what I pay and paid to buy. I used to buy TIW when our groups were larger. But now, trips tend to be no more than 4...and usually 1 or 2...the blue card helps.

If perks are why you are buying DVC, then I can see why some may be frustrated or disappointed,

But, the AP discount, the merchandise discount on everything vs, having to reach $50 like my Disney Visa, and the dining discounts..which seem to be more widely given than my CC, are a bonus, IMO.

The real discount was the number of nights I get for what I pay and paid to buy. I used to buy TIW when our groups were larger. But now, trips tend to be no more than 4...and usually 1 or 2...the blue card helps.

My things is this: Don’t raise blue card minimums and try to encourage direct purchases with smoke and mirrors and then give nothing. Every time I’ve been on the phone with a DVC sales rep, they’ve pushed the blue card minimum and told me that it’s what I need to get perks. Don’t talk perks on one hand and give nothing with the other. I can handle no perks - just let me know that’s your approach and I’ll go buy resale. It’s that game they play that drives me nuts.

My things is this: Don’t raise blue card minimums and try to encourage direct purchases with smoke and mirrors and then give nothing. Every time I’ve been on the phone with a DVC sales rep, they’ve pushed the blue card minimum and told me that it’s what I need to get perks. Don’t talk perks on one hand and give nothing with the other. I can handle no perks - just let me know that’s your approach and I’ll go buy resale. It’s that game they play that drives me nuts.
I second this. My mother just bought dvc direct and the contract still lists annual passes discount as benefit despite not being offered as benefit for over a year. The sales guide never mentioned it’s not on sale so outside me following Disney she wouldn’t have known until she unsuccessfully tried to buy it. At this point, the dvc discount on ap still being on contract for new members without being offer for new members for over a year is fraud.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter