• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rumored Changes to G+

I think you feel personally attacked by the DAS talk, but I’m pretty sure nobody means any offense when talking about DAS abuse. DAS is a wonderful offering that allows many people who would not otherwise be able to enjoy the parks to do so. I would never want to see DAS removed, but it’s obviously being abused and as a DAS user I’d hope you’d want that fixed as much, if not more, than anyone else.

Rider swap is another great offering by Disney that allows families to actually use the rides. Sometimes kids ride twice so there is someone to ride with the parent so they don’t ride alone- the exact same reasoning behind DAS+5. I don’t think anyone in this thread targeted legitimate DAS users as the boogeymen, and if they did I’m sorry because having to use DAS is not some great privilege, I’m sure most would trade their illness for not having to use DAS in a heartbeat. The abuse needs to be fixed, or else any fix of Genie+ will be negated by pushing more to abuse DAS.
You are exactly right. I imagine you haven't read this entire thread, but every single time DAS abuse gets brought up, it inevitably turns into people mocking those with disabilities, or speculating that people don't really need it. It's gotten to a ridiculous level, so I'm choosing to nip it in the bud each time it's brought up. Despite mountains of evidence that it's not being extensively abused, everyone wants to continue to believe the line that it is.

I was not knocking rider swap. It's great. I was using it as an example of a loophole that no one on this thread questions, even though far more people use the LL for rider swap than DAS. The hypocrisy of repeatedly pointing out the holes in a disability access service, but never pointing out the holes in the far more commonly used (and line clogging) rider swap system was my point. The child who rides 7DMT twice in a row with each parent got to immediately join the LL the second time, unlike those using DAS (even DAS abusers) who had to wait a full 2 hours to step foot into the LL for the first time.

It's just very odd to me that DAS abuse is the inevitable scapegoat.

it inevitably turns into people mocking those with disabilities, or speculating that people don't really need it.

Well, that’s just horrifying. I don’t assume there is DAS abuse because I see people who don’t appear to need it- I have a family member that qualifies for DAS, but we use Genie+ instead. You would not know they need DAS by looking at them. I assume there is DAS abuse because of human nature (and also another relative that openly abuses DAS- they needed it at one time, but no longer and still use it). Anything on the honor system will be abused, and the more Genie+ costs, the more will abuse it. I don’t believe it’s the vast majority, and we will never know percentages, but it’s just human nature. It’s worse for those who actually need it, because I’ve seen long LL lines and it defeats the purpose of DAS.

It's just very odd to me that DAS abuse is the inevitable scapegoat.
It’s not being used as a scapegoat but it is something that can be discussed as a contributing factor. It seems likely that since G+ there are a higher amount of guests than before who are utilizing DAS. Before someone who may have qualified but knowing the system knew there was an included skip the line option available so they may not have used DAS.

Now it’s paid it’s a system where they can get a skip the line at no cost. It’s a system that has the potential for abuses. DAS is absolutely necessary and should always be available to guests.

Rider Swap can also be a factor but has also existed and been used for a long time and is limited to how many can join rider swap (it’s one additional guest now, pending the CM).

It’s not being used as a scapegoat but it is something that can be discussed as a contributing factor. It seems likely that since G+ there are a higher amount of guests than before who are utilizing DAS. Before someone who may have qualified but knowing the system knew there was an included skip the line option available so they may not have used DAS.

Now it’s paid it’s a system where they can get a skip the line at no cost. It’s a system that has the potential for abuses. DAS is absolutely necessary and should always be available to guests.

Rider Swap can also be a factor but has also existed and been used for a long time and is limited to how many can join rider swap (it’s one additional guest now, pending the CM).
The "abuse" used to be way worse in the Fastpass+ era. Anyone else remember how it was reported that people would pay for a "guide" that was in a wheelchair and this guide would get your party to the front of the line?

The "abuse" used to be way worse in the Fastpass+ era. Anyone else remember how it was reported that people would pay for a "guide" that was in a wheelchair and this guide would get your party to the front of the line?
That's generally considered the reason why GAC was changed to DAS but DAS started at the end of 2013 which is when FP+ was introduced. I don't think when people talk about paid wheelchair people are they discussing DAS, that was something associated largely with GAC.

Before someone who may have qualified but knowing the system knew there was an included skip the line option available so they may not have used DAS.
There are DAS using posters who have already discussed over multiple threads how they use DAS more now that there is a paid option compared to FP+ included. People aren't accusing them of abusing the system either. It's just people point blank saying they now rely more on DAS on a more frequent basis than they did before. I know of one poster who has said they do pay for ILL or Genie+ if they feel they have to for that particular day. I'm not sure why the conversation has to be hidden away when even DAS users who will fight to the death lol against people assuming they are abusing it will even state they use DAS more, depending on the day, compared to FP+ days.

That's generally considered the reason why GAC was changed to DAS but DAS started at the end of 2013 which is when FP+ was introduced. I don't think when people talk about paid wheelchair people are they discussing DAS, that was something associated largely with GAC.
I didn't remember when they stopped allow that. I remember a long time ago going to WDW with my grandma who was in a wheelchair and we skipped a chunk of the Haunted Mansion queue.

Nowadays I see articles posted about how some TikTok "influencers" are teaching people how to abuse DAS. Thanks for ruining it for people who need it, guys.

It's good to clarify that DAS does not let you skip the wait. Those using Genie+ can often immediately ride. Those using DAS must wait to enter the LL for the same amount of time that the standby wait is. If the standby wait is 120 minutes, they must wait 120 minutes to enter the LL.

They cannot stack DAS return times. They wait 2 hours to ride, then book the next ride for the same amount of time as the standby after that. They are waiting the same amount of time for any ride as every person in the standby line. They are simply waiting somewhere that is more conducive to their disability, such as a park bench or near a restroom.

This is why many people using DAS also pay to use Genie+

I didn't remember when they stopped allow that. I remember a long time ago going to WDW with my grandma who was in a wheelchair and we skipped a chunk of the Haunted Mansion queue.

Nowadays I see articles posted about how some TikTok "influencers" are teaching people how to abuse DAS. Thanks for ruining it for people who need it, guys.
They stopped this when they made every ride's standby Q wheelchair and scooter accessible.

You no longer qualify for DAS just because you are in a wheelchair or a scooter. That's not what it's for.

It's good to clarify that DAS does not let you skip the wait. Those using Genie+ can often immediately ride. Those using DAS must wait to enter the LL for the same amount of time that the standby wait is. If the standby wait is 120 minutes, they must wait 120 minutes to enter the LL.

They cannot stack DAS return times. They wait 2 hours to ride, then book the next ride for the same amount of time as the standby after that. They are waiting the same amount of time for any ride as every person in the standby line. They are simply waiting somewhere that is more conducive to their disability, such as a park bench or near a restroom.

This is why many people using DAS also pay to use Genie+
Which IMO is why there is so many using the LL each day.

My solution is you can use DAS but you can't use Genie+ too. It's one or the other.

Yeah when I first joined the DIS in 2015 that was heavily talked about with largely why GAC was changed to DAS which was the people paying someone else to take them around the parks in wheelchairs to get quicker access to attractions. You also see now why at WDW wheelchairs often go through the same queues. Tik Tok influencers are nothing new as blogs beforehand got the word out but obviously Tik Tok is more widely used, the internet is different than years past too but yeah any program has the potential for issues to crop up when people find ways to skirt around things unfortunately.

sorry, I did not mean to stir up trouble. It stinks that people are posting that they were allowed to abuse the DAS system rules.

There are DAS using posters who have already discussed over multiple threads how they use DAS more now that there is a paid option compared to FP+ included. People aren't accusing them of abusing the system either. It's just people point blank saying they now rely more on DAS on a more frequent basis than they did before. I know of one poster who has said they do pay for ILL or Genie+ if they feel they have to for that particular day. I'm not sure why the conversation has to be hidden away when even DAS users who will fight to the death lol against people assuming they are abusing it will even state they use DAS more, depending on the day, compared to FP+ days.
The conversation doesn't have to be hidden away, but it's already been discussed ad nauseum on this thread, inevitably devolving into the gutter.

Perhaps a better place to discuss DAS abuse would be to start a thread on the dedicated DISabilites section of these boards.

Instead of blaming DAS, why not accept the fact that many of your non-disabled peers choose to buy G+/iLL. They're the real reason why your standby lines are longer. But then some of you also think G+ is a scam, and the actual wait time is much shorter than the posted time.

The conversation doesn't have to be hidden away, but it's already been discussed ad nauseum on this thread, inevitably devolving into the gutter.

Perhaps a better place to discuss DAS abuse would be to start a thread on the dedicated DISabilites section of these boards.
My apologies but you did indeed and are continuing to engage in the conversation regarding that topic.

As far as another thread like any thread here it meanders in topics but DAS is an integral part of Genie+ and usage of it especially if there are changes that eventually IDK before the next ice age occur as it very well may impact DAS users who are among posters on this Board and this thread. If DAS discussion regardless of what it entails is grating on you I understand that but it might be best to then step away yourself from that conversation even while allowing others to continue.

Instead of blaming DAS, why not accept the fact that many of your non-disabled peers choose to buy G+/iLL. They're the real reason why your standby lines are longer. But then some of you also think G+ is a scam, and the actual wait time is much shorter than the posted time.
Chapek claimed that about 50% of guests opt into buying Genie+ and I bet that percentage is about the same or higher now.

My apologies but you did indeed and are continuing to engage in the conversation regarding that topic.

As far as another thread like any thread here it meanders in topics but DAS is an integral part of Genie+ and usage of it especially if there are changes that eventually IDK before the next ice age occur as it very well may impact DAS users who are among posters on this Board and this thread. If DAS discussion regardless of what it entails is grating on you I understand that but it might be best to then step away yourself from that conversation even while allowing others to continue.
Hard to step away from the general conversation when I am the creator of this thread, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter