Rumored Changes to G+

This is exactly what I was trying to convey. Groceries? There's an app. Bills? App. Banking? App. Show? App. Farmacy? App.

And every single theme park I've been on in the last few years has an app as well (where their own version of LLs live). And you can bet that in the next few years all of them will be pushing mobile ordering and even more functionality via their apps. It's simply easier for them to do so.

Disney is not an outlier, it's simply the first one to have so much functionality at the tips of your fingertips.
That part is not complicated or difficult. When have to also use an app to book rides, know when you can and how often makes it complicated. Most other parks you just get into their version of LL whenever you want.

That part is not complicated or difficult. When have to also use an app to book rides, know when you can and how often makes it complicated. Most other parks you just get into their version of LL whenever you want.
The app literally sends you a push notification when your LL is ready to be used, when your mobile order is ready, when your ADR approaches, when your LL becomes a MEP (and explains what that is), if I remember correctly it also tells you when you can book another. You don't -have- to know or remember anything. At the most you need to remember to book another right after using it and unless you have MB+ (more fun tech!) then your phone is already open on the app on your hand.

Honestly, it's like folks Pavlov themselves into thinking its the hardest most time consuming thing to do.

I'll be the first to admit the app has lots of issues (at least the DLR one, I haven't used the WDW one in a while). It uses so much bandwidth, it can heat up phones, its slow, its clunky, its homepage is a mess of useless ads and clutter, its probably up there in my top 3 less user friendly apps that I use. But genie+ functionality and mobile ordering are probably the 2 things it does well.

The app literally sends you a push notification when your LL is ready to be used, when your mobile order is ready, when your ADR approaches, when your LL becomes a MEP (and explains what that is), if I remember correctly it also tells you when you can book another. You don't -have- to know or remember anything. At the most you need to remember to book another right after using it and unless you have MB+ (more fun tech!) then your phone is already open on the app on your hand.

Honestly, it's like folks Pavlov themselves into thinking its the hardest most time consuming thing to do.

I'll be the first to admit the app has lots of issues (at least the DLR one, I haven't used the WDW one in a while). It uses so much bandwidth, it can heat up phones, its slow, its clunky, its homepage is a mess of useless ads and clutter, its probably up there in my top 3 less user friendly apps that I use. But genie+ functionality and mobile ordering are probably the 2 things it does well.
In general no it's not hard and I have no problems doing it. Again my point is Express pass is much simpler to use for skipping lines.

I mean, I think two things can be true. It can be not that difficult to engage with and use the app and also pretty annoying to be so reliant on our app/phones all the time. This could apply to anything, even outside of Genie+. I generally lament how phone-centric society has become, though there are also benefits too. I still get a bit irritated by it though.

I mean, I think two things can be true. It can be not that difficult to engage with and use the app and also pretty annoying to be so reliant on our app/phones all the time. This could apply to anything, even outside of Genie+. I generally lament how phone-centric society has become, though there are also benefits too. I still get a bit irritated by it though.
can i like this again?

i see arguments going for each side, but @BrianL is spot on here. Two things can be true.

I HATE the amount of time we spend on the phone at disney, it may not be a big deal to some, but some it is. At the same time, that's not just a disney thing, its an every day thing for everything else.

I will say this. to a point, it starts to peel the bubble away a little bit.

Our entire society is reliant on technology. Whether it be your phone, iPad, laptop, etc. This is just the way it is and how the younger generation has always lived. Disney is just keeping up with life as usual. It’s either keep up or get left behind.

If you don’t want to use technology do a beach vacation or an all inclusive. Veg out and no need for your phone unless you want to.

We don’t do Disney every year since we like to do different kinds of vacations. We know Disney is go go go with a lot of technology mixed in. When I want to unplug I do an all inclusive.

The WDW version of the app sucks too. It's probably one of the worst apps I've used.

The WDW version of the app sucks too. It's probably one of the worst apps I've used.
to me its part of the ever evolving disney. it seems like lately, in a lot of things, Disney cant pick what direction they want to go. They seem to change processes every few years.

It's like the disney store, they expanded them, decided to close them down, oh lets expand again, and then lets close them down again.

the technology in how you visit the parks seems to change like the wind also. if you dont go every year, you almost have to learn a new system when you do go.

And interesting that Disneyland still allows you to pre-purchase Genie+

Not sure why the mechanics are different at DL vs. WDW.
Could it be tied to the number of people who actually use it in each location?

Also, Disneylands price doesn't fluctuate quite as much as Worlds on a given day, so setting it at the cheapest point which they do for pre-purchase doesn't impact the bottom line much when day of it goes up at most $5 during some busy periods. I'd be interested to know how many days out of 365 it actually is higher than the pre-purchase price.

The flip side is at world you now have a different price for each park, and the price changes daily, and the spikes from lowest point to highest point are $15-$20 dollars now. A pre-purchase price at the lowest point, would (strictly guessing here) cost them a lot more money in missed revenue at World than at Land.

MDE has been awful for so long that I genuinely believe Disney doesn't care at all to improve it.
Something will have to give eventually. As a dev, logic tells me the first thing to fix is MDE and the DLR app. Disney IT is notoriously terrible in general tho and it's bizarre that they haven't been given the budget to fix the apps. From experience I could guess that a lot of the issues they face are because they are patching and patching onto the original framework instead of starting clean. Maybe the powers that be can spare a few millions of the genie+ profits and use them to fix the apps. A girl can dream.

And this goes back to people needing to be tied to their phones. You cannot just put it in your backpack and pull it out when you need something.

And this goes back to people needing to be tied to their phones. You cannot just put it in your backpack and pull it out when you need something.
What type of push notifications do you have?? My phone vibrates and beeps and I hear it/feel it from my pocket and/or my backpack. 🤔

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter