runDisney chEAR Squad question for Dark Side Run

nezy

DIS Veteran
I am thinking of joining some friends who are running in the Dark Side 1/2 Marathon weekend and wanted to sign up for the chEAR squad on the day of the race. Can someone tell me what this involves . Are you in a stationary place or can you move around from different race locations? If so how do you get to different race locations? Is there a way to track your friends so you know where to be and when? Any expereinces with previous chEar squaders is appreciated.

I am also considering doing the race but not sure I will be physically in shape..

Well first, you can track them with emails/texts. And you can sort of follow them around even withOUT the chear squad package. Chear gives you clappers, maybe a blanket, etc, and it gives you bleachers to sit in or a specific place to stand in, but there are plenty of spectators around you without the rundisney stuff and without a pre-arranged spot to stand in. Not sure if Dark Side goes through MK: if it does, you can get in and watch. Runners go through well before the park opens, so you don't even have to have a ticket. Just don't try to stand/sit in the spot for Chear Squad and you're fine. If it finishes outside of Epcot, you can go there and see the finish without paying anything. If it goes through Epcot, you will need a ticket to go inside and watch the part as they run by (but you will almost certainly miss their finish if you're inside Epcot as they are running). I'm ot actually sure if chear squad has a spot inside Epcot.

chEAR squad is really a mini merchandise package that includes access to a reserved section of bleachers at the finish line. It isn't necessary to have chEAR squad to cheer on runners. There are non reserved bleachers and standing room at the finish area that anyone can use. Tracking will be available on the runDisney site as the race gets closer, but that will most likely just get you a 5k/10k/10m/finish splits at best. If you want something more accurate your runners would need to have a GPS watch/app that lets you live track them.

As I believe that Dark Side is using a new course, (Start is listed as being on Floridian Way) view points will be up in the air at this point. To get to the start line to cheer on you will need to take the runners transportation in the morning (bright and early). There should then be transportation to the finish area, or they may point you to the TTC to take the monorail over to Epcot. If it goes through MK you can cheer on Main Street, but thats the only park you can cheer from w/o a ticket, and potentially the only park runners will be while it is open other than the last runners going through Epcot. (5:30 start, 3 1/2 hour max on course time, allowing for 45 mins or so for the last runner to start, means course should be clear by about 9:45) I'm guessing the course will go through MK, DHS, and then finish in Epcot. If it does go the way I think it will, the most numbers of times you may be able to see your runners would be at the start, then you walk over by GF/Shades of Green and then head back to TTC to take monorail to finish. If it does go into MK, you would need to go their first to get a decent spot, so you would most likely only be able to see them there and then at the finish.

When you say you need a "ticket" to get into the finish area do you mean a "park ticket"? I assume so because the park will open at 9:00 ish.
Re: transportation So I can take the runners transportation to MK and then use regular park transportation ie. monorail to ttc switch to monorail to epcot and then enter epcot using my park pass?
the chEAR squad is $49 but doesn't seem necessary unless I want the "swag" and a special seating location. I would just be thrilled to be in MK when it is somewhat empty and not open with crowds.

chEAR squad is really a mini merchandise package that includes access to a reserved section of bleachers at the finish line. It isn't necessary to have chEAR squad to cheer on runners. There are non reserved bleachers and standing room at the finish area that anyone can use. Tracking will be available on the runDisney site as the race gets closer, but that will most likely just get you a 5k/10k/10m/finish splits at best. If you want something more accurate your runners would need to have a GPS watch/app that lets you live track them.

As I believe that Dark Side is using a new course, (Start is listed as being on Floridian Way) view points will be up in the air at this point. To get to the start line to cheer on you will need to take the runners transportation in the morning (bright and early). There should then be transportation to the finish area, or they may point you to the TTC to take the monorail over to Epcot. If it goes through MK you can cheer on Main Street, but thats the only park you can cheer from w/o a ticket, and potentially the only park runners will be while it is open other than the last runners going through Epcot. (5:30 start, 3 1/2 hour max on course time, allowing for 45 mins or so for the last runner to start, means course should be clear by about 9:45) I'm guessing the course will go through MK, DHS, and then finish in Epcot. If it does go the way I think it will, the most numbers of times you may be able to see your runners would be at the start, then you walk over by GF/Shades of Green and then head back to TTC to take monorail to finish. If it does go into MK, you would need to go their first to get a decent spot, so you would most likely only be able to see them there and then at the finish.

thanks for the info

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter