• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

RunDisney returning to West Coast in 2024

Just last week I decided 2024 is going to be there year we do an Alaskan cruise, and my extended family is all on board. So of course that would be when races start again. It would be awesome if it lined up with before the cruise and I could just fly out alone and race, then fly to the port. But I doubt I will be that lucky. Looks like I'll be adding a few thousand to the travel budget that year :headache:

I really want to do one of these since I never got the chance to run at Disneyland, but I shudder at the thought of how awful registration will be, based on the excitement of this announcement. They better have more than one weekend - even if it’s not the previous 4, I hope it’s at least a couple. But I’m also sure that all the people who do every race in FL will also be signing up for all of these. :/

In the Before Times they didn't even always sell out right away (I believe Avengers 2017, which was the last DL race, wasn't sold out) so I'm holding out hope that it won't be too chaotic.

Based on what the Club rD packages will be, may have to look at doing a membership for just this one time to make sure we get in the races. It will come down to what will be the lesser of two evils, paying for Club rD or sitting at the computer on registration date and wanting to throw the computer out of the window.
I'm thinking the exact same thing! After waiting so many years, I don't want to risk not getting a registration. Better start saving now to buy Club runDisney + race registrations! (and travel!) 🤣

Looking at previous maps it looks like you get to run a lot inside the parks? Like for the 5ks? It seems at WDW it's a lot of parking lot or road running & just quick dipping into a park. Except for Epcot which you run around inside, but that gets old after a time or 2.

I would love to do a Tink or Avengers theme if they offer a 5k and an ultimate trip to DL for all that too. What is the weather like early May? I'd be coming from FL so used to heat already.

Looking at previous maps it looks like you get to run a lot inside the parks? Like for the 5ks? It seems at WDW it's a lot of parking lot or road running & just quick dipping into a park. Except for Epcot which you run around inside, but that gets old after a time or 2.

I would love to do a Tink or Avengers theme if they offer a 5k and an ultimate trip to DL for all that too. What is the weather like early May? I'd be coming from FL so used to heat already.
The 10k is my platonic ideal of a RD race, a huge chunk of it is within the parks, but that’s all bc you have the two right next to each other. It’s like if they had MK and HS squeezed together.

The half marathon is similar in terms of park time, they just extend it into broader Anaheim.

Yes, the courses are awesome! Though they've built a parking structure where they used to stage for the start line, so I'm not sure where they'd put that now. But the 5K and 10K courses are pretty much all on property. The half spills out into Anaheim but there were many DPM (dogs per mile)!

AHHHHHHHHHHHH! I was one of those people who said it would never happen! I will be there and I can't wait!
Same especially the half distance
Just remembered: OMG they can do Marvel there right??!!!!
Yep
Very excited! I did Avengers Half (the last runDisney to be held in the West Coast). Not familiar with runDisney at WDW - do those races usually sell out immediately, or are spots available for a while after registration opens?
Depends on the weekend DL races back May slow demand in wdw

Looks like I may need to work on my speed to be comfortable enough to run a Disney half and save my pennies for a coast to coast game plan

I'm very curious to when the race or races will take place. Originally we had Tink in Jan, then held over Mothers Day and DL 1/2 was in Sept, both of those times were a little slower in the parks. But there really isn't a slow time now. I guess we will just have to wait and see. I'm hoping we will get further intomation when race season starts in FL, maybe in the race guide.

Yeah I was a bit disappointed on my first WDW 10k because I was spoiled by how practically all of the DL 10k's are mostly in-park. I'm SUPER excited that Galaxy's Edge is open because it makes total sense for them to use it (if you look at the map they usually had you run up to Mansion then do a U-turn so having a direction to go from the Mansion/Splash corner will be perfect).

I'm sure Avengers will come back: they started that theme before the break and now there are SO. MANY. MARVEL. CHARACTERS. They'll have years of themes to tap. My very first race was the Dr. Strange 10k.

I did the Tink 10k in 2016 and there was only about a mile at the beginning on the roads before we entered DL behind the scenes. The rest was behind the scenes and in the park proper for DL and DCA before finishing up running through DTD.

Am I understanding right that the half weekend was typically Labor Day weekend previously? That doesn't seem ideal from a crowd or a wether perspective....

Am I understanding right that the half weekend was typically Labor Day weekend previously? That doesn't seem ideal from a crowd or a wether perspective....

I was in DL over Labor Day last year, the early morning weather was pretty decent actually

You were lucky with the weather last year. I ran DLH weekend in 2016 & 2017. 2016 wasn't too bad, but 2017 was brutal. It was very hot (in the 80s) at race starts and the half marathon was red flagged and the course shortened. Temperatures were up in the 103 - 105 degree range in the parks in the afternoons, as well. All in all, a miserable weekend.

You were lucky with the weather last year. I ran DLH weekend in 2016 & 2017. 2016 wasn't too bad, but 2017 was brutal. It was very hot (in the 80s) at race starts and the half marathon was red flagged and the course shortened. Temperatures were up in the 103 - 105 degree range in the parks in the afternoons, as well. All in all, a miserable weekend.
You might be right about my luck. Looking back at my waking workout history (I set workouts on my watch when walking between my hotel and the parks just to get the exercise minutes) I had 71 degrees at 9am one day, and 66 degrees at 730am another day. It got to the 90s in the afternoons, but with lower humidity than WDW, it didn’t feel too bad to me.

Yes, I think DLH weekend was typically over Labor Day Weekend.
I think the temperatures can go either way. I’m showing for 2015 (from Garmin), that at the starts of each race it was 70, 64, and 64.
And IIRC, California (or at least that area) had relatively low humidity??

The last DL 1/2 was during a heat wave and it was HOT. I remember sitting in the corral and the road was hot and this was before sunrise. RD even had the yellow flags up indicating heat warnings. It was far from ideal.....but can't wait to do it again. :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter