Running Renaissance: Road to Paris 2024

This drives me mad! I'll find a shoe I like, then the next version comes out and it's no longer ok. Why do they have to change them so much? I hope your foot feels better soon.
Thanks for commiserating with me. The foot is better. I was a bit nervous about it until I realized that the pain was worse when I flexed my foot and not upon impact. Once that connection was made, I knew it was nothing serious and I should recover quickly but yeesh did it hurt.

With the impending debut of Luminous now is the perfect time to mention that I’m looking forward to seeing this new show during marathon weekend. i have no preconceived opinions or expectations. i just enjoy explosions in the sky and Disney music and I’m guessing both of those will make an appearance.
Nice picture :) I actually didn't mind the barges, they were pretty all lit up during the races.

I'm curious what shoe model?

Nice picture :) I actually didn't mind the barges, they were pretty all lit up during the races.

I'm curious what shoe model?
If they had added the fountains as intended the barges could have been an asset instead of an eyesore. But I agree it was nice to see them decorated for the races.

I run in Saucony Freedom which is really more of a cross training shoe. I’m a weirdo who doesn’t like a lot of cushioning or a big heel drop so these have been a good fit for me until now. Back to the drawing board!

I run in Saucony Freedom which is really more of a cross training shoe. I’m a weirdo who doesn’t like a lot of cushioning or a big heel drop so these have been a good fit for me until now. Back to the drawing board!

Can I recommend Topo? I had to switch from Saucony when their toe boxes got way too narrow. Topo has small drops (5-6mm, some I think are zero) and a wide range of cushioning. The Cyclone 2 looks great (haven't tried it yet). I did pick up the Atmos, which is apparently the more cushioned, lighter version of the Cyclone 2 and I'm loving it.

Can I recommend Topo? I had to switch from Saucony when their toe boxes got way too narrow. Topo has small drops (5-6mm, some I think are zero) and a wide range of cushioning. The Cyclone 2 looks great (haven't tried it yet). I did pick up the Atmos, which is apparently the more cushioned, lighter version of the Cyclone 2 and I'm loving it.
Appreciate the rec! I just picked up some On Cloudflow 4 from my local store. I had a $60 credit that needed spent. They felt great in the store but we’ll see how they are in practice. I’ll definitely keep topo in mind for the future.

Marathon Training Week 14
giphy.gif

Another thing I’m looking forward to during marathon weekend is riding Tron. Since it wasn’t open yet last January, this will be my first chance. Fun fact: I watched the movie on the treadmill last year during training. Fortunately, I haven’t spent a lot of time on the treadmill this season.

4 Dec - Rest
Feeling absolutely wrecked after my long run and with a lot of pain in my right foot, I decided to swap rest days. The good news is that I realized the foot pain wasn’t worse upon impact so I hoped it was just some minor inflammation and I’d be back on schedule soon.

5 Dec - M Tempo 4.5
I was scheduled for an easy 7 but since I was traveling for work and stuck on the treadmill, I decided to throw in some m tempo miles to make it go faster. I ran a mile warm up, 2 m tempo, .5 mi recovery, 2.5 m tempo, mile cool down. I felt really good at the end and thought about more tempo miles but didn’t want to push it.

6 Dec - Easy 6
I returned home in time to enjoy the 50! degree weather. Otherwise, nothing notable.

7 Dec - Easy 6
It was 60! out!! The run was lovely. Normal temps are about half that so I’m certainly not complaining.

8 Dec - Easy 6
I didn’t take note of the weather this run but I’m certain it was still above average. I felt pretty tired and sluggish 🐌

9 Dec - Easy 7 + Santa 5K
It was officially winter again and the wind was brutal but still not too bad temp wise. There was a drastic difference in pace/effort when running into the wind vs with it. I knew it was going to get worse as the day went and with 10 in the schedule, I went out for an easy 7 and then returned home to put on my Santa suit 🎅🏼. The annual Santa run fundraiser was taking place and is one of my favorite runs of the year. AFAIK there is no clock so I wouldn’t call it a race. Just 600 Christmas fans supporting local causes. When you register, half the fee goes to a local charity of your choice. Obviously, I selected GOTR 😁. Anyway, weather was windier and starting to snow so I decided more tempo miles were on the list. Here I am at the finish enjoying some delicious hot cocoa. The only disappointment is that there were no cookies but hard to complain when there’s full size candy bars.
IMG_3183.jpeg

10 Dec - Easy 10
The wind was gone! Yay! High 30s for temp which is perfect for me. I haven’t been taking many photos on my runs lately since the leaves are down and there’s no snow. It just isn’t as pretty. But I am grateful to be running in shorts and on clear paths in mid December so I took this photo in appreciation.
IMG_3191.jpeg
The miles were fine. My right hip was a little grumpy. Probably because someone skipped her strength training this week 😳. Guess I better get back to that this week while I still can.

I’m feeling really good heading into peak week. No major pains and confident that I can cover the distance. Runalyze continues to drop. I expect it to drop again this week with my 16 mile long run and 50+ mpw on schedule. It will be interesting how it adjusts after that with the mileage dropping.
IMG_3202.jpeg

Marathon Training Week 15
IMG_0400.jpeg
While I anxiously wait for course maps, running through the castle is one of the best parts and something that I’m looking forward to. This is my photo from last weekend. I did a good job of finding a bubble and keeping left but I’m hoping for a more “castle-y” photo this time, one with that obvious castle background.

11 Dec - Rest
My foot felt fine when I woke up but progressively got more and more painful throughout the day so I decided to rest. In hindsight, I’m pretty sure that sewing was aggravating it and so I switched to sewing with my left foot which was much easier than I expected.

12 Dec - Easy 8(.6)
My foot was feeling better and I needed to take my new shoes for a spin before my last long run on Sunday. The run went well and my foot pain disappeared by mile 2. I thought I would mix it up and take a new route home but forgot that trail was closed so I had to turn around and ended up with an extra .6 miles. Whoops.
IMG_3204.jpeg
Do these shoes make me look fast? 😅

13 Dec - Easy 6
I made up the miles from Monday on the treadmill before work. It wasn’t my favorite choice but I wasn’t going to have time in the evening and it gave me a chance to test out my costume 😬. After swearing off ever running in a skirt again, I decided to give it another try. No issues at all much to my surprise. This one is too short to get stuck between my legs.

14 Dec - Easy 7
This run felt really good. I wasn’t going to do any m tempo this week because I wanted to save myself for the last long run but I did mean to do strides. I just totally forgot about them.

15 Dec - Easy 6
This was scheduled for 8 but I just could not get into it. Something > nothing. I did pass 100 miles for the month and Brooks sent me a congratulatory email. Probably the first and last time that I’m referred to as an “elite runner” 🤣
IMG_3235.jpeg

16 Dec - Easy 8
It was rainy and windy so I hit up the treadmill again. I watched the Barbie for the first time since I saw it in theaters. I only made it to the acoustic guitar scene so I’m saving the rest for another run.

17 Dec - Long 16
After baking cookies for 4+ hours, my back was aching. Why are counters so low? I’m below average height and cannot figure out what height this is good for. Anyway, my back was still hurting after my lunch but I knew I had a lot of ground to cover before sunset when the park closes. Wore the new shoes again and thankfully no issues so seems like I have my race day outfit figured out 😁. My back started aggravating me at mile 6 and never relented. But I made it and don’t feel particularly sore. I’m glad to have peak week in the books!

As predicted, runalyze dropped again, marking the first time I’ve seen the prognosis drop sub 4 🤩. I’m guessing it will flatten out and perhaps go back up again as I taper.

IMG_3236.jpeg

Marathon Training Week 16
IMG_0467.gif
Hi y’all, sorry about the teaser yesterday. I thought I’d have time to get the update together before everyone woke up but that didn’t happen. I’m currently visiting family in my hometown for the holidays which brings me to one of the things I’m looking forward to the most during the upcoming marathon weekend: spending time with family. As someone who moved away for college and only moved away further afterward, I only see family a couple of times per year so I really cherish this time together.

18 Dec - Easy 6
The temp really dropped on me as the sunset and the wind was a bit rough but the run was good and I caught one last sunset on my regular running route.
IMG_3237.jpeg

19 Dec - Easy 7
This was my last day in the office for the year do I ran right from work to take advantage of the remaining daylight. My legs were tired from all the cumulative miles in the prior days which isn’t surprising during marathon training but is a bit odd that I haven’t experienced it more. I’m not sure if that’s a good or a bad sign?!?! 😬

20 Dec - Rest

21 Dec - Easy 6
We were visiting in laws in Wisconsin who live less than half a mile from a nice trail. Fortunately the weather was also behaving so this was a nice run. I also hit my yearly mileage goal in this run. Woo hoo! 🥳 1500 miles!! The most I’ve ever ran in a year!! Coincidentally, I ran past this section of sidewalk with a motivational message:
BE62595E-B278-49E5-847C-0D7290E43273.jpeg

22 Dec - Easy 10
Officially this should have been 6 but we had a 6 hour drive on Sunday so I moved the double 10 miles up a day. Driving sucks out all of my energy so I knew 10 miles after that car ride was unlikely. Anyway, this run went well. I felt quite strong but I did notice my right hip and knee.

23 Dec - Rest
My right foot was really sore after the 10 miler. I’m pretty sure it’s tendinitis but I’m not a medical professional. Regardless, I got dressed ready to go for my run but the pain was quite intense when I put on my running shoe so I decided to sit this one out.

24 Dec - Rest
Still some pain in my foot so double rest day.

Blegh, not a great finish to the week but not much I can do about it. Better to be uninjured come race day!

Much to my surprise, I kept the runalyze prognosis sub 4. That’s my current goal so I like seeing it but I am starting to wonder how feasible that is with my complete lack of speedwork. I’ve done a lot of consistent miles so not untrained but definitely not optimally trained. I guess we’ll find out in a few weeks 🤞. Regardless, I’ll be running through the most magical place on earth so I’ll have fun either way 😁.
IMG_3275.jpeg

Last edited:
Marathon Training Week 17
giphy.gif

Woof, it has been a week. Personally a great week but not so great running wise. Before I get into that, I must mention one last thing I’m looking forward to this coming weekend. The spectators! Whether it’s cast members with a high five, strangers with a funny sign, or volunteers with words of encouragement, they all make running at Disney special. Their energy is unmatched and I truly appreciate each of them for their early morning efforts.

25-28 Dec - Rest
My right foot was still hurting on Monday and Tuesday so I purposely chose rest. On Wednesday I was itching to run again but it was cold and rainy so I took it as a sign to stay indoors. I spent 12 hours in the car on Thursday so running was never on the schedule that day. I did find time to do my hip exercises each day so at least there’s that?

29 Dec - Easy 2
I wasn’t sure how far I would go being my first run back. I found a nearby lake with a 2 mile loop so the plan was at least 4 but maybe 6 if I was feeling good. As you can see, I wasn’t feeling good. I made it just over a mile before my foot was in pain so I decided to call it but still had to get back to my car. The pain isn’t so bad that I can’t run on it, I just really don’t want to make it worse.
DD98C7B9-B85C-4090-978A-2C4278C983A9.jpeg

30 & 31 Dec - Rest
More hip strengthening and some stretching but no running. I also woke up with a weird twinge in my left knee this AM so really hoping that works itself out 😕

Blegh, like I said, a rough week. I really don’t know what to expect on Sunday. My plan right now is just to aim for 9:00 minutes/mile and see how long I can go. Anyone have tips for how to pace a marathon when your training didn’t go well? I still got lots of miles in but not near the number of quality miles that I would normally. It’s been like 97% easy since October.

Runalyze has updated the prognosis to a smidge over 4:00 which is not really a surprise considering my lack of mileage this week.
IMG_3384.jpeg

I’m registered for a New Years 5K tomorrow. No idea how that will go but I figure it will be a good test. Really glad I didn’t sign up for the 10K 🙃

Boo, hopefully your foot feels better soon!!

I was in a similar situation before my marathon last month, and I just kind of let my body decide how fast to run. Tbh I'm still not quite sure how that worked, but it did! Mainly I did it that way because I really had no idea what my strategy should be so I decided to not decide 😅

Also a few days before the marathon when my Achilles wasn't hurting, I did like 5 x 3 min at marathon effort, without paying much attention to my pace, and once I actually settled in, that pace ended up being really close to what I ran overall in the marathon. So if you can manage something like that before the race, it could be a good indicator.

Sorry your body is giving you fits right now 😡 Take it easy and hopefully it will sort itself out by the weekend. Have fun on your 5k!

I’m sorry your foot is still bothering you. :(
Me too! It didn’t cause any issues this morning so fingers crossed 🤞 it stays that way.
I was in a similar situation before my marathon last month, and I just kind of let my body decide how fast to run
You had an exceptional race! I’m not expecting anything like that. Your training was also much more intense than mine. That’s the part I’m struggling with. I read somewhere that doing speedwork will improve your time by 3% but I have no idea where that came from or how applicable it is in my situation.

If I let my body decide, I’ll definitely go out too fast and blow up. I’m trying to avoid that, hence trying to set up a realistic goal.
Also a few days before the marathon when my Achilles wasn't hurting, I did like 5 x 3 min at marathon effort, without paying much attention to my pace, and once I actually settled in, that pace ended up being really close to what I ran overall in the marathon. So if you can manage something like that before the race, it could be a good indicator
I appreciate the suggestion but it’s been so long since I ran marathon pace, I’m not sure I’d even know what it feels like. I may give it a try anyway!
Sorry your body is giving you fits right now 😡 Take it easy and hopefully it will sort itself out by the weekend. Have fun on your 5k!
Thanks so much! Foot is feeling better but there’s something weird going on behind my left knee. I’m not as worried about it, hopefully it’s just taper madness.

Asheville New Years Resolution 5K Recap
Thought I’d write up a quick little recap of my race on Monday before Sunday’s big event 😊

Pre Race
I’ve been experiencing all sorts of niggles and did very little speedwork lately so I didn’t have high expectations going into this race. Plus Asheville has a lot more hills than where I live so I knew that may be a challenge. My main goal for the race was just to see how my body would handle the miles. On the bright side, it was in the mid 30s which is a good running temp for me. I could tell the locals were cold though 😅

I completed a 2 mile warm up and my body felt good so I was hopeful it would hold itself together for the race.

Before the race they kept making announcements for the 6 min milers to line up at the front. I’m not nearly that fast but the start was at the top of the hill so the closer you were to the front, the less hill you had to climb. I placed myself just slightly on the faster side than I would have normally to avoid any extra hills 🤣

One more thing I should mention is that obviously NYE was the night before and I drank one too many high lifes. My head was absolutely pounding 🪘

Mile 1
Just after the start line was a nice long downhill. I quickly got stuck in the crowd and became a little frustrated about the slower runners in front. In hindsight, it was probably in my best interest that they forced me to have a slow start. It also didn’t take long for us to spread out and for me to find my groove.

After the first half mile was a big uphill. I tried to keep my effort even, keep pushing but not too much. I was catching up with others and would start to settle in with them and then I’d remind myself that this is a 5K. There’s no time to settle! 😆

Time - 7:52 (happy with that considering the slow start and uphills).

Mile 2
More hills. There was a water stop around halfway where the 10K went straight and the 5K turned. At this point, I had no idea where I was in the crowd but could tell that roughly half of the pack was running twice the distance.

A few more turns and I found a volunteer telling me I was Top 10 😮. I didn’t know if this meant I was 10 exactly or had some wiggle room but I was guessing it was very near 10.

These hills were really starting to wear me down but I kept going best I could.

Time - 7:49 - wow! That’s consistent!

Mile 3+
I was doing okay. Definitely feeling the burn. During one of the turns I made a quick glance back and could tell there was another female catching up. There wasn’t much I could do as I was already putting in good effort so I just tried to keep her in my sight as long as possible.

It really started to hurt with about half a mile to go but I guess that’s 5Ks for ya. I started counting down the seconds until I would be put out of my misery 😵‍💫.

With less than a quarter mile to go, I felt like I might get physically ill. No doubt that was partially due to the shenanigans the night before. 🍾 At this point I slowed down a bit as I realized there really was no reason to push. There was no one on my heels and I definitely wasn’t going to PR.

Finish - 25:55

IMG_3398.jpeg

Post Race
I definitely slowed down in that last mile but I would be curious what the GAP was. You can see in the chart below that there was way more ascent in that last mile so maybe my pace drop wasn’t as bad as it looked. Regardless, I was happy to call this race a success in that my body survived and didn’t feel any worse for the wear.
IMG_3440.jpeg

The results were available online so I quickly learned that I won my age group. Not too shabby 🥸. We waited around for the awards ceremony where I received this calendar 🤣
IMG_3406.jpeg

Definitely would not have waited around in the cold had I known that was the award. But it was nice to cheer in the other finishers and the mugs filled with hot cocoa helped too. I’m a firm believer that every winter race should have finishers hot cocoa.

IMG_3401.jpeg

I definitely slowed down in that last mile but I would be curious what the GAP was.

You could look up finishers, or you could upload your run to Strava and it'll show other members that also ran near you in the race. If any have Premium, then you can get the GAP data from them.

Nice job! Especially with a hangover 😮
Thanks! I probably, maybe would have been more conservative with my drinking if I was planning for an all out effort 🤣

That's awesome! Congrats 😁

I especially love the coffee mug.
Me too! My spouse told me I didn't need another mug but I couldn't pass it up, especially when that was my only option for hot cocoa.

You could look up finishers, or you could upload your run to Strava and it'll show other members that also ran near you in the race. If any have Premium, then you can get the GAP data from them.
Thanks for the idea! I stopped using strava because I don't need the internet knowing my whereabouts and habits but I hadn't thought to just search for other finishers.

Based on what I found, it looks like GAP difference was -20 seconds, +15, and -55. That would give me 7:32 (7:52), 8:04 (7:49), & 7:53 (8:48). This pretty well matches my expectations. Fast at the start but pretty even in miles 2&3.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter